• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon that are the wrong type

Surperior: grass dragon, guy looks royal as hell, like dragonairs cousin or sumthin.

Samurott: water fighting, hes a samurai who has a sword sheathed to his arm how is he not part fighting!

Klingklang: steel electric, all those gears moving around should start to generate some power now that he is fully evolved. Missed opprotunity here.

Accelgor: dark bug. He looks like he is mean mugging you. He has a chip on his sholder seeing how his shell got stolen by that other pokemon.

Goodra: water fairy. I dont have solod reasons for this one. Just think thats how it should be.

Froufrou should have type change based on haircut, kind of like rotom.

Kinokou

I always felt like Phanphy should be part normal

And with this scene from the anime
tumblr_inline_ms5pz8Wn481qz4rgp.gif

I feel Dunsparce should part flying or something now

Thank you! This is the cutest thing I've seen all week.

Delio

Fb9nVhy.png

Shadow the poke...

I mean luxray , where the dark type at

Yeah Luxray not being a Dark Type was really weird for me. I mean I got over it but still.

Am I the only one that thinks Staraptor should have became Fighting/Flying? I mean we finally got Hawlucha which is great but I always wanted Staraptor to have that title first. Ah well maybe it doesn't make sense :D

Staraptor.png

hiryu64

Fucking Volbeat and Illumise.
Should have been Bug/Fire and Bug/Electric, respectively, since they're based on fireflies/lightning bugs. Change their move pools to reflect this, too.
Imo Flying shouldn't be a Type - it needs to get abolished into other types or it becomes an ability like Levitate.
In theory, Flying is a catch-all type for anything aerial- or wind-related. Think how Tornadus is the only pure-Flying type. But then you look at Doduo and wonder... I do believe that they should have kept the Bird-type and/or separated Flying into Bird and Wind, but hey.

In theory, Flying is a catch-all type for anything aerial- or wind-related. Think how Tornadus is the only pure-Flying type. But then you look at Doduo and wonder... I do believe that they should have kept the Bird-type and/or separated Flying into Bird and Wind, but hey.
This is why I want a reboot for the series. Take a few hundred of what Pokemon there are, sort out typing, move lists, even the convoluted evolutions that exist now. Eevee evolves into a grass type named Leafeon. You can't use a Leaf stone to do that. I get why because of continuity in the series, but I still don't like it.

Sadly that'll never happen and we'll be stuck with what we've got.

RiggyRob

Golurk should've been Steel/Ghost, just look at the shiny version:

Unfortunately he came a generation too early where Steel/Ghost would've been OP, so they nerfed Steel to make Aegislash work.

SoulUnison

Banned
Groudon should've been part fire from the jump, the damn thing sleeps in lava.

I got Pokemon Ruby Day 1 and I didn't realize Groudon wasn't Ground/Fire almost until Diamond & Pearl came out.
It was just such a no-brainer that he'd be Ground/Fire, right!?

I guess it was done so that Kyogre wouldn't be *doubly* superior to him.

9g9FJYR.jpg

I always thought that Feraligatr should have been Water/Dark type. It just looks like an evil badass, plus it's associated with Dark type moves like Bite and Crunch.

Flagons is ground because he is a mature Antlion. He just visually does not look like a bug. Types aren't always about what they can do or what exactly they look like.

Luxray should have the Dark duel type, though.

Supposedly, Scraggy and Scrafty (Dark/Fighting-type) have a rubbery skin. Rubber-like materials are insulators, but those Pokémon are normally affected by Electric-type moves. Should be Ground-type, or at least have an ability that handles this feature.

Shit son, you're right. They totally should have been Ground/Fighting. Then the Pancham line would seem more original by comparison. Dark/Fighting is so wierd now with this in mind. :/

Volcarona:

volcarona.jpg

It's Bug Fire, which makes sense, but then when you think of Beautifly:

beautifly.jpg

It's Bug Flying.

Both are constantly flying but it doesn't make sense for Volcarona to also not be a Flying type.

Imo Flying shouldn't be a Type - it needs to get abolished into other types or it becomes an ability like Levitate.

LOL what am I reading? Flying shouldn't be a type?! Stop this. Flying is a good type that's needed in the meta. Cmon man.

Being Water/Flying wouldn't be such a travesty if Gyrados could actually use the HM "Fly".

Or ANY flying attacks other than Bounce.

His mega form is especially terrible because the only dark type move he can easily learn is Bite. Fucking BITE! If you have some magical combination of breeding that could only come from generations past, you can get Dark Pulse, but that's not as good as something on the physical end.

Usobuko

Banned

I don't know about ORAS meta but one of the first thing people do in X and Y is to slap a Choice Band on TalonFlame and proceed to spam Brave Bird with priority.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I agree with the opening post. Why Lugia is Psychic I have no idea.

Fb9nVhy.png

Shadow the poke...

I mean luxray , where the dark type at

say its name. Then you will get it

Err why? Nothing about Luxray screams Dark? Or are we being Poke-racist and all dark furred Pokemon be Dark-typed? :p

The ones that have always annoyed me are:

Supposedly, Scraggy and Scrafty (Dark/Fighting-type) have a rubbery skin. Rubber-like materials are insulators, but those Pokémon are normally affected by Electric-type moves. Should be Ground-type, or at least have an ability that handles this feature.

its ability covers that sorta with shed skin (which makes more sense on them, since they always shed their skin)

Or ANY flying attacks other than Bounce.

His mega form is especially terrible because the only dark type move he can easily learn is Bite. Fucking BITE! If you have some magical combination of breeding that could only come from generations past, you can get Dark Pulse, but that's not as good as something on the physical end.

Gyarados learns Crunch now dude

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
damn right Flying type should never vanish

talonflame_asdfghjkl_by_peregrinestar-d6e6r65.png

Why is a squid Dark/Psychic and not somehow part Water?

Steel/Ghost golem, regardless of the material it's made of, doesn't seem too farfetch'd in my book.

Because Inkay and Malamar aren't actually aquatic squids.

and if you change ground you kinda remove the aspect that it is in fact, a man-made clay golem powered by Getter Rays.

Steroyd

The original ghost pokemon (ghastly/haunter/gengar) how they had the posion type attatched.

Of course they would have incredibly OP if they were pure ghost type back in red/blue/yellow.

They would have balanced out freaking kadabra/Alakazham being a pure psychic whose only weakness was frikken Butterfree and Beedrill of all Pokemon.

My cousin completed the game using Kadabra and Kadabra only, got the git to level 99 and I couldn't touch him with my balanced party.

takriel

The original ghost pokemon (ghastly/haunter/gengar) how they had the posion type attatched.

Of course they would have incredibly OP if they were pure ghost type back in red/blue/yellow.

This led me to believe for the longest time that the Ghost type was vulnerable to Psychic.

EulaCapra

Aerodactyl. Looks like Dragon/Flying.
Blissey. Looks like part Fairy.
Azurill. Should be Water/Fairy. Dunno why it's not Water.
Milotic. Didn't even get a Water/Fairy Mega-Evolution its design was begging for.
Tropius. Should be Grass/Dragon.
Jirachi. Is anything but a Steel type.
Yanmega. Looks like Bug/Dark.
Gliscor. Looks like Bug/Flying/Dark/Poison. Not Ground.
Palkia. Looks more Psychic/Dragon than Water/Dragon.
Cresselia. Looks like Psychic/Fairy.
Samurott. Looks like Water/Fighting.
Audino. Looks like Normal/Fairy.
Lilligant. Looks like Grass/Fairy.
Cofagrigus. Looks like Ghost/Ground.
Archeops. Looks like Dragon/Flying.
Eelektross. Looks like Electric/Water.
Beheeyem. Looks like Psyhic/Rock.
Cryogonal. Looks like Ice/Steel.
Accelgor. Looks like Bug/Ghost.
Golurk. Looks like Ground/Steel.
Bisharp. Looks like Fighting/Steel.
Greninja. Looks like Water/Fighting.
Florges. Looks like Grass/Fairy.
Conkeldurr. Looks like ass.

Persian needs to be Normal/Dark.

It learns 8 dark moves and doesn't get any STAB for them.

It's Pokedex entries always talk about it being a fickle narcissist.

In non-canon media it's almost exclusively associated with Team Rocket.

PsionBolt

604Eelektross.png

Why are you not water/electric?

Nooo, I love this one. That's the whole gag! It looks water, but it resists electric; it's electric, but is immune to ground. (This part was even better in gen 5, when its sprite was stomping on the ground despite having levitate.) It's like one huge middle finger to the whole system of type effectiveness. If I recall, it's also the only pokemon with no weaknesses now that fairy type broke Sableye and Spiritomb.
Eelektross is great just for how thoroughly unkind it is to newcomers.

Persian needs to be Normal/Dark.

It learns 8 dark moves and doesn't get any STAB for them.

It's Pokedex entries always talk about it being a fickle narcissist.

In non-canon media it's almost exclusively associated with Team Rocket.

This would be awesome, I wish they had added Dark to it in gen II like how Magneton and Magnemite got Steel added to them.

This would be awesome, I wish they had added Dark to it in gen II like how Magneton and Magnemite got Steel added to them.

Yeah it's some bullshit. Persian is my favorite non legendary. I thought maybe they'd take a look at the older ones after seeing Jigglypuff retconned to Normal/Fairy.

Nope.

It's very difficult to make a viable Persian (it's also outclassed in every way by Ambipom). That STAB bonus would make things awesome.

Razmos

Why is a squid Dark/Psychic and not somehow part Water?

604Eelektross.png

Why are you not water/electric?
Just because they are based on aquatic creatures doesn't mean they have to be part water.
Inkay in particular is shown to be a land-based pokemon that just floats everywhere, and the Eelektross line is found in caves, not in water.

anyway, I think Clauncher/Clawitzer should have been Water/Fire due to being based on the pistol shrimp.
Poke-evoltuion-18.png

It sucks that it is pure water in a game already completely drowning in water types.

Rafavert

This is why I want a reboot for the series. Take a few hundred of what Pokemon there are, sort out typing, move lists, even the convoluted evolutions that exist now. Eevee evolves into a grass type named Leafeon. You can't use a Leaf stone to do that. I get why because of continuity in the series, but I still don't like it.

Sadly that'll never happen and we'll be stuck with what we've got.

I have to agree, a reboot would be nice.
Have a Slowpoke and a Shellder on your team to evolve Slowpoke. If Shellder is in the slot before Slowpoke, he bites the head, if he's in the slot after, he bites the tail. Take the chance to do do some tweaking around with the typing and types themselves as well (come on, Ice needs to resist SOMETHING other than itself.)

Delio

Just because they are based on aquatic creatures doesn't mean they have to be part water.
Inkay in particular is shown to be a land-based pokemon that just floats everywhere, and the Eelektross line is found in caves, not in water.

anyway, I think Clauncher/Clawitzer should have been Water/Fire due to being based on the pistol shrimp.
Poke-evoltuion-18.png

It sucks that it is pure water in a game already completely drowning in water types.

I remember early speculation was that Clauncher would be Water/Fire due to how pistol shrimps work in real life. Low and behold Gamefreak when another way lol.

PK Gaming

He's better off as normal/flying: he gets a ghost immunity, can rampage all over fighting types due to his psychic and flying moves, and can destroy all ghost types since he also gets access to shadow ball. If anything he needs more speed.

It can't mess with Fighting types because it can't switch into them, it can't really beat any of the stronger Ghost-types since they tend to carry strong secondary moves, and its Psychic moves are weak. Psyschic/Flying would be much better.

These two

367.png
368.png

I always felt they'd be fitting as Water/Dark and Water/Psychic respectively. Seems Creatures Inc. agree with me as in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia they were given Dark and Psychic type assists, the only Pokémon with assists that didn't match their type.

I always found it random as all hell that Gorebyss learns Psychic through leveling up.

Top Bottom