• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Windows 10 version

Daffy Duck

Just announced at minecon.

Windows 10 Edition will not replace the existing PC version. Instead, it will be treated as an entirely separate platform to “take advantage of the advanced technology and gaming platform provided by Windows 10.”

Beta available from July 29th on PC first.

Existing PC players will receive the Windows 10 version for free. New players can buy the game for $10 USD for a limited time.

Windows 10 Edition works on Windows 10 PCs and tablets, and you can switch between controller, touch, or mouse and keyboard whenever you want. The user interface will instantly adjust to the new input method.

source

Sendou

Really interested in hearing what will be different about this. :/

$10 to get it is awesome, though.

"You can play local multiplayer, game online with your Xbox Live friends, and record and share game clips with a built in GameDVR."

So the new thing will be GFWL 2.0 DRM.

Just announced at minecon.

Windows 10 Edition will not replace the existing PC version. Instead, it will be treated as an entirely separate platform to “take advantage of the advanced technology and gaming platform provided by Windows 10.”

Beta available from July 29th on PC first.

Existing PC players will receive the Windows 10 version for free. New players can buy the game for $10 USD for a limited time.

Windows 10 Edition works on Windows 10 PCs and tablets, and you can switch between controller, touch, or mouse and keyboard whenever you want. The user interface will instantly adjust to the new input method.

source

Great thx. I am ready to install Win10.

robotrock

Banned
"You can play local multiplayer, game online with your Xbox Live friends, and record and share game clips with a built in GameDVR."

Rad. Really glad they didn't skip on local multiplayer.

Controller support finally!

FordGTGuy

Banned

Can we honestly stop calling it GFWL?

It's nothing like GFWL and calling it that only gives it a negative cannotation.

Noobcraft

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a port of the Xbox One version. It would be nice to have a non-java version of Minecraft on PC too.

Really interested in hearing what will be different about this. :/

$10 to get it is awesome, though.

I think you'll be able to use it on multiple platforms, PCs, tablets and mobile and you only need one version.

Considering I have Minecraft on PC and I have a Windows Phone, I'll assume I can play Minecraft on my phone then!

Also, not Java.

kiguel182

Well, it's free so there's that. I'll try it on my sister's windows machine to see what is different.

I haven't played Minecraft in a while but does this mean this will now be the main version with the java one being late on updates? That would suck for non-windows users even if I think rebuilding the game from scratch it's a great thing long term.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is there a xbone win10 version with xplay? Its not clear.
Its not clear, but I don't think there is.

I think you'll be able to use it on multiple platforms, PCs, tablets and mobile and you only need one version.

Considering I have Minecraft on PC and I have a Windows Phone, I'll assume I can play Minecraft on my phone then!

Also, not Java.
Have you tried the mobile version? I'm not a fan of the touch controls. But it would still be a cool option to have.

I hope there's a bit to this than just that.

does this ditch java and use the XO codebase?

Well, not the XO codebase, but I'll assume it is the same kind of thing which is currently used for Win 8 apps.

Its not clear, but I don't think there is.

Have you tried the mobile version? I'm not a fan if the touch controls too much. But it would still be a cool option to have.

I hope there's a bit to this than just that.

I haven't, I think it's expensive and I rarely game on my phone, so I'm happy I get a free version now.

But yeah, I doubt I will like the touch controls much.

I don't know what they really would implement as special features though. Mod support is mentioned by someone here but I'm not sure that would really work cross-platform.

And one thing is cross platform multiplayer play.

Cross platform play?

Yes, seems so.

You can play local multiplayer, game online with your Xbox Live friends, and record and share game clips with a built in GameDVR.

Sakura

I'm pretty sure I own Minecraft. Or at least bought it when it was still during development. What would a Windows 10 version offer though? It's not like it is a crazy looking game or anything so taking advantage of stuff offered by Windows 10 doesn't mean much to me.

So basically they are porting the Xbone version to the PC and shoving GFWL 2.0 into it. That appears to be the future of Minecraft on the PC.

There will be no dedicated servers, no ability to mod, no way for you to play with the millions of PC gamers that already have minecraft either and the PC version will have all the limitations that the console versions have so you can forgot those HUGE sprawling worlds you can have in the PC version. You will also get the privilege of having to pay for skins and texture packs too.

I wondered how Microsoft was gonna fuck Minecraft up on the PC, now I know.

robotrock

Banned
So basically they are porting the Xbone version to the PC and shoving GFWL 2.0 into it. That appears to be the future of Minecraft on the PC.

There will be no dedicated servers, no ability to mod, no way for you to play with the millions of PC gamers that already have minecraft either and the PC version will have all the limitations that the console versions have so you can forgot those HUGE sprawling worlds you can have in the PC version. You will also get the privilege of having to pay for skins and texture packs too.

This is not going to replace the existing Minecraft PC version.

The Flash

Banned

Yeah! Good thing they're not getting rid of the Java version.

FordGTGuy

Banned

Let's look at the first step they take and automatically assume the rest is going to be shit... right?

Modding, dedicated servers and more are most likely coming in the future.

Getting the game running in a universal platform that doesn't run like crap is the first step.

Fret

This is not going to replace the existing Minecraft PC version.

But it will split the community, probably the main issue people are concerned about. And also keep in mind all new Minecraft PC purchases will probably be the Win10 version, pretty confusing having two different versions of Minecraft on PC

FordGTGuy

Banned
But it will split the community, probably the main issue people are concerned about. And also keep in mind all new Minecraft PC purchases will probably be the Win10 version, pretty confusing having two different versions of Minecraft on PC

The point is to release a new version without upsetting the old community, if you own the original than you will get this version for free.

In the long run the Windows 10 version is most likely going to replace the java version; I very much doubt that will happen until they get dedicated servers and modding properly running.

Enco

Windows 10 Edition will not replace the existing PC version.

Existing PC players will receive the Windows 10 version for free.

What? So people will have 2 different versions?

Mojang can barely release decent updates for the main PC version. They'll bomb at handling 2 PC versions.

The Flash

Banned
So two of the same versions because... windows 10? But one without mods if it's not going to be Java.

Essentially. If you like Minecraft the way it is, great. It's still gonna be there. Want a Win10 version of Minecraft? Great. There's gonna be that as well.

Top Bottom