• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger Best Version - SNES or PS1?

meanspartan

The DS version has a different aspect ratio that puts some people off if they compare them directly and the bonus content isn't very good. Those are the big points I always see brought up.

If you don't look at side-by-side comparisons and don't want to do the bonus stuff anyway there's no reason not to go for the SNES version, imo.

Except price of course. DS version is a perfectly good version and can be had for $20-30. SNES is $100 loose usually, and if you don't have a pricey upscaler or a retron (which is just an emulator) it will look like shit on an HDtv

TheMoon

Except price of course. DS version is a perfectly good version and can be had for $20-30. SNES is $100 loose usually, and if you don't have a pricey upscaler or a retron (which is just an emulator) it will look like shit on an HDtv

I actually meant the DS version in that last sentence. No clue why I wrote SNES. The post only makes sense if I land on the DS versions side if you read the first half :D

BriGuy

Why is the DS version so good? I didn't really like the cutscenes on the psx.
It's portable (which is enough for some people), has a re-done translation, the psx cutscenes, and some bonus content.

As for the points against it, it has muted colors and sound, a stretched out aspect ratio, and runs at a lower resolution than the SNES original. The text boxes weren't made with the DS in mind, so they can be hard to read at times (especially on a non XL system). The new translation is also incredibly anal and loses a lot of the original's charm. The menus are more cumbersome to navigate. The bonus content is horrible and crushingly repetitive (but thankfully optional).

That being said, Chrono Trigger DS is perfectly serviceable and a great game overall. I just think the SNES version is better if you're able to experience it.

OmegaDL50

I've been playing it and I haven't experienced any sound problems.

The music is off for sure. I would go so far to say in exaggeration that it's "fucked up" as Suzushiiro claims but the original SNES SPC700 audio is poorly represented in the PSX versions poor emulation.

Yes it's indeed emulation too because on the original PSX disc for FF Chronicles Chrono Trigger disc there is a SNES rom that game reads from and loads via the built-in emulator. It's a shame they opted to do this method instead of a straight port.

Oh well.

genjiZERO

It's portable (which is enough for some people), has a re-done translation, the psx cutscenes, and some bonus content.

As for the points against it, it has muted colors and sound, a stretched out aspect ratio, and runs at a lower resolution than the SNES original. The text boxes weren't made with the DS in mind, so they can be hard to read at times (especially on a non XL system). The new translation is also incredibly anal and loses a lot of the original's charm. The menus are more cumbersome to navigate. The bonus content is horrible and crushingly repetitive (but thankfully optional).

That being said, Chrono Trigger DS is perfectly serviceable and a great game overall. I just think the SNES version is better if you're able to experience it.

How is the translation different? Is it seriously retconed or just more accurate. Is it as reworked as "FF3"?

NeonZ

The bonus content is horrible and crushingly repetitive (but thankfully optional).

The Lost Sanctum isn't the only bonus content though. The dimensional vortexes are just fine if you want harder end-game dungeons and the game keeps track of which endings you've gotten too, which is a pretty useful feature.

DeathPeak

DS. if you don't mind a smaller screen. I love the cutscenes and love that they link CT to CC better.
Guile was meant to be Magus anyway.
They might as well make it official. I always played it with that impression to begin with.

For a "purist" though, it's SNES.

Mr Swine

Banned
How in the world could SE butcher such a legendary game with bad sound and loading times. The game isn't big so how in the world can there be loading times :/

Savitar

SNES.

I still got mine in it's box.

Plus it doesn't have those shitty shitty shitty added endings to connect to shitty shitty CC.

jett

D-Member
I didn't know DS games had to be played while in an iron maiden.

And if SE stops sucking and gets their VC catalog on Wii U along with their DS games then we can in theory have the ultimate version on Wii U... With some minor cropping admittedly.

You can play your DS on a couch.

A good, nicely-sized screen is part of the Comfy Couch Experience™.

jett

D-Member
DSi XL to the rescue :p

ummm-no.gif

wmlk

What is getting cut?

In the DS version, the aspect ratio has been changed to accommodate for the screen dimensions, which is totally fine, but the problem is that the a small part of the maps being displayed are cut off since it doesn't fit on the screen.

Top Bottom