• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hair dryer level PS4 systems? Check thermal paste asap!

vin-buc

I've have a launch unit that gets hairdryer level loud (not kidding) when playing most games. With the new model releasing soon I was debating buying it since according to the new model thread, heat and noise are lower but I can't justify spending the money so I took matters into my own hands.

I decided to go ahead and completely disassemble my PS4 and do a thorough cleaning and thermal paste change. While there was dust - it wasn't as bad as I expected since the system is so compact. I got everything with my kids paintbrush (thick tip). But when I got to the motherboard - I was stunned that there was no thermal paste whatsoever on the chip. The backplate had some crusted paste which completely chipped off. I used Arctic Silver MX-4 paste and closed the system back up.

I've run MGS:Gz, PT and Tomb Raider (title screen only for TR). OMG - what a difference. It's unbelievable. I unfortunately don't have dB readings but it's so apparent there is no confusing the matter. It's not to say the system is dead silent - you can still hear the fans but the level is completely changed. Also, closing application to the home screen immediately kills the fan noise to nil.

I've created this thread with the hope of helping the ps4 console owners kill at least some of the noise. You need about $15 (thermal paste and T9 tork bit) and the confidence of taking the system apart.

Links to breakdowns:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uayVMlO9A5A

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyz0rdMpqOM

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/PlayStation_4

Man, my launch unit was hair dryer loud and I'm so glad it broke within warranty. I probably wouldn't have replaced it otherwise and still be stuck with that noise today.

This is a good idea for brave DIY people (out of warranty).

Ran rp

i'm glad my ps4 is almost inaudible. sometimes i get worried and have to put my ear up to it to make sure the fans are actually working :p

Kalamoj

I did the same with my launch PAL PS3, but I still have more than one year warranty out of 3 on my PS4.

vin-buc

Oh no. Oh no. This reminds me of Phat PS3s. The amount of time I've thermal pasted that bitch...

Please tell me they won't die like PS3s did.

My launch unit is alive and well and it's been on..alot to say the least.

And yes - only attempt if you are out of warranty.

N° 2048

This is probably my last resort too.

I did it to my (6 year old) laptop which kept shutting down due to high temps and it runs like a dream now. Cannot be harder than that.

BumRush

I'm waiting for a slim redesign to buy a 2nd PS4 then I'll take my phat on business trips / not treat it as gently as I do now.

DjRalford

I've have a launch unit that gets hairdryer level loud (not kidding) when playing most games. With the new model releasing soon I was debating buying it since according to the new model thread, heat and noise are lower but I can't justify spending the money so I took matters into my own hands.

I decided to go ahead and completely disassemble my PS4 and do a thorough cleaning and thermal paste change. While there was dust - it wasn't as bad as I expected since the system is so compact. I got everything with my kids paintbrush (thick tip). But when I got to the motherboard - I was stunned that there was no thermal paste whatsoever on the chip. The backplate had some crusted paste which completely chipped off. I used Arctic Silver MX-4 paste and closed the system back up.

I've run MGS:Gz, PT and Tomb Raider (title screen only for TR). OMG - what a difference. It's unbelievable. I unfortunately don't have dB readings but it's so apparent there is no confusing the matter. It's not to say the system is dead silent - you can still hear the fans but the level is completely changed. Also, closing application to the home screen immediately kills the fan noise to nil.

I've created this thread with the hope of helping the ps4 console owners kill at least some of the noise. You need about $15 (thermal paste and T9 tork bit) and the confidence of taking the system apart.

When i bought my 2nd PS4 last Summer for upstairs i couldn't believe how quiet it was, i called the Sony helpline and explained that my original i bought launch day had always been hairdryer loud, yet my new one was always quiet, they sent me a shipping label and 2 weeks later i had it back with a "reapplied thermal paste" note, it'sbeen whisper quiet ever since so i'm guessing this is quite common.

Mendax

how does something like this happen? is there some kind of atmosphere in warehouses that kills thermal paste or what? or would it have been badly applied to being with?
(mine is usually whisper quiet)

I'll have to remember this as I have a new PS4 so so far it's not too loud. Its way quieter than my launch 360 and probably a bit quieter than my PS3 slim. Even though I build my own PCs opening a console scares me a little. I would definitly do this out of warrenty. I've thought about puting water cooling on my X360 for fun and silence.

poodpick

Did you use any particular guide to take the ps4 apart? I'm looking at the ifixit teardown right now and it looks pretty simple to follow.

Persona7

Banned
I bought mine in late december 2014 and it is extremely loud even when I do something as simple as change from the basic theme to the infamous first light theme.

HardRojo

I think mine has gotten somewhat louder and it's already out of warranty. Will probably take it to someone who's better at this stuff than me so they can apply some paste. I know it was pretty common for OG PS3s to have some paste applied years after use.

vin-buc

I'll have to remember this as I have a new PS4 so so far it's not too loud. Its way quieter than my launch 360 and probably a bit quieter than my PS3 slim. Even though I build my own PCs opening a console scares me a little. PI would definitly do this out of warrenty. I've thought about puting water cooling on my X360 for fun and silence.

I heard stories of people changing their systems several times and still getting noisy machines so I didn't consider an exchange when I was within warranty.

The system itself is easy to disassemble except for one part - the fan plug in to the motherboard. I actually tugged a bit too hard and pulled the wires from the harness exposing the copper tips. I was able to feed them back in. I have bigger handsthough. That's the only tricky part.

Does retail honor a return on stuff like this? Like if you bought an extended warranty would they replace your machine with a new one if its really loud? Or does a PS4 unit have to just not work at all for a replacement?

goonergaz

Glad to hear a good result - what's the best guide these days?

Makareu

It's not - I recall mine being in the high 60s/low 70s last year when I tested with an android app. I may have even posted my numbers in a thread about it.

Even 70db, I had no idea it could be that bad. I guess I have been spoiled.

vin-buc

Does retail honor a return on stuff like this? Like if you bought an extended warranty would they replace your machine with a new one if its really loud? Or does a PS4 unit have to just not work at all for a replacement?

They should definitely honor it. They won't connect it turn it on and all that - I would just say it's abnormally loud and it's been happening recently.

Mine is pretty loud too. I would have to fix mine on my own though because its the gray anniversary one. No returns and replacement on that... :(

Derpcrawler

Mine is loud as fuck, might as well try it. Is there good guide on dis-assembly/assembly to get to APU? I mean we don't really need to go beyond that.

vin-buc

What slim design? The console is already slim.

The expected die shrink which will (presumably) cut console size, heat, noise.

It's coming but probably next year. BTW - they significantly reduced the motherboard size with the CH-1200 model. Comparison pics are out.

Bowler

I wish someone would post pics of the teardown and old paste vs new. Google image search sucks2 with this kind of stuff.

Edit. YouTube works just as well thanks

Noobcraft

I don't currently need to do this with my PS4, but I remember what a nightmare it was to disassemble my YLOD'd PS3. Is taking apart the PS4 easier?
imag0778lvq9j.jpg

T-Rex.

Banned
Mine sounds like it's about to take off when I play certain digital games. Is there any danger of a YLOD situation? I'm fine with the noise since I mainly play with headphones anyway so I don't want to mess around with it if I can avoid it.

Edit: My Sony warranty has expired but since I live in the UK I still have a year's warranty left thanks to EU regulation so there's no need to do anything just yet.

Hmmm GameStop have a deal on now that you can trade in your current ps4 for the new 1tb PS4. Would it be worth doing? 150 euro I think

vin-buc

Hmmm GameStop have a deal on now that you can trade in your current ps4 for the new 1tb PS4. Would it be worth doing? 150 euro I think

The 1TB is not the CH-1200 model it's the 1100. The mgs bundle (if it launches in the US) will be the new CH-1200 model.

Sorry you said EU so you're not in the US. Mgs bundle confirmed for Europe.

Zalusithix

Thanks for the tip.

My PS4 runs at about 115db.

No, it does not. People using smartphone apps need to stop posting numbers. At best they're useful for relative comparisons using the same phone/app. They're trash for any real accurate numbers though.

vin-buc

I don't currently need to do this with my PS4, but I remember what a nightmare it was to disassemble my YLOD'd PS3. Is taking apart the PS4 easier?

I YLOD my fat ps3 twice and did the heat reflow trick twice. It didn't last though - few months only.

It was easier to take apart. The only pain is the fan - you can only get to it by completely taking everything apart.

PaulLFC

I did the same with my launch PAL PS3, but I still have more than one year warranty out of 3 on my PS4.
I'm still pissed off at Sony for only offering the 3 year warranty option way after launch (at least here in the UK), and mandating that only those with systems bought in the last 12 months could take advantage of the offer - i.e. anyone with a launch unit like me couldn't buy the extended cover.

I emailed Sony to query why this was and their reply was basically "tough shit". I may contact them again and request it to be escalated because as far as I'm concerned all PS4 owners should have had an option to purchase an extended warranty if they wanted to.

Now I just have to hope mine doesn't start suffering excessive fan noise or other issues since it's outside the standard warranty.

crimilde

Banned
Mine's louder once in a while, but only when sitting vertically. I can't see why though, it's very well ventilated.
I bought it a year after launch but I guess it's an older model since it can get pretty loud.

I'll probably disassemble it and check the paste after my warranty expires.

The 1TB is not the CH-1200 model it's the 1100. The mgs bundle (if it launches in the US) will be the new CH-1200 model.

Sorry you said EU so you're not in the US. Mgs bundle confirmed for Europe.

Ah so I should try and trade my current one in for the mgs bundle?

They should definitely honor it. They won't connect it turn it on and all that - I would just say it's abnormally loud and it's been happening recently.

Well that's good to know then. Cause I've had some of the worst luck with consoles in the past,I always buy extra warranty nowdays. Though I've never had a console be that loud for me yet, though the DreamCast was abit nasty during hot summers. Ha! Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom