• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Belgian woman, 24, granted right to die by euthanasia over suicidal thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If you want to die, go ahead. Its a cowards way out because you shift the burden to those around you.
Edit- unless your in terrible pain from an illness like cancer

Shouldnt you be for this then? Non assisted suicides are sudden and even more messy and traumatic.

Irminsul

Eh, I disagree with just hoping it will get better. I don't think it wise to assume the doctors she visited has tried every possible avenue to get her to a better place. Also, I wouldn't call it semantics, there is a world of a difference of what a terminal disease can do to you versus mental states. If that's a semantic issue, than everything might as well be.
I thought that was the purpose of the 1.5-years long process. I mean, at some point you do have to concede that there's no treatment, right? Not everything is treatable just because it's mental illnesses instead of physical ones.

Also, yes, of course the "end results" of terminal illnesses tend to be worse, but that doesn't mean the "end result" of a mental illness can't be bad enough already.

Killing yourself is a selfish action. I'm not going to sympathize with the idea of killing yourself

Someone's life is so terrible that they decide to end it and your just all "Aw jeeze now I gotta think about that and feel slightly bad for a moment, what an asshole." You're part of the reason mental illness may as well be a death sentence for some.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Now I don't even know anymore what my point was in your opinion.

You completely generalised and equated two different illness completely ignoring the specifics, intricacies and basically any useful facts in the most worthless comparison ever.

You could do the same thing with mental health and food, people die from food poisoning. eating food now a death sentence.

My brain hurts, why would you even make such a comparison just why.

suicide-booth-in-use.jpg

How long before this becomes reality?

Should be for terminal patients only. This opens a whole can of worms
What's bad about that scenario? Safe and affordable suicide is the mark of a true advanced civilization.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You completely generalised and equated two different illness completely ignoring the specifics, intricacies and basically any useful facts in the most worthless comparison ever.

You could do the same thing with mental health and food, people die from food poisoning. eating food now a death sentence.

My brain hurts, why would you even make such a comparison just why.

Because the thing most people know that euthanasia has been used for it to escape the later stages of ternimal illnesses like many cancer situations. Its the only point of comparison people have so it keeps getting brought up.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Depression doesn't mean someone is of an unsound mind.

If I was in constant emotional pain, with no sign of possible resolution, i'd be surprised if I didn't consider suicide.

Certainly, we don't ask terminally physically ill patients to get over it, or tell them they should hold out in the hope that there's a cure.

I don't see why we'd set a different standard for those with a mental issue.

Unless you're just arguing against euthanasia in general, in which case, I won't even bother engaging further (it's another discussion, for another thread).

In certain counties if you have suicidal thoughts then yes it does, those "rights" are taken away from you similar to how those rights are taken away from a minor.

Irminsul

The only thing I wanted to make a point on was that there being treatable variants of an illness isn't an argument for or against a singular instance of it being treatable or not.

Air

Banned
I thought that was the purpose of the 1.5-years long process. I mean, at some point you do have to concede that there's no treatment, right? Not everything is treatable just because it's mental illnesses instead of physical ones.

Also, yes, of course the "end results" of terminal illnesses tend to be worse, but that doesn't mean the "end result" of a mental illness can't be bad enough already.

Without knowing the quality of her care from the doctors and knowing their treatments, I err to the side of pessimism when it comes down to the treatments they provided her. Not a dig at the doctors or anyone in particular, but I find that there are a lot of variables that can come up that i find warrants skepticism.

I think the difference between this and other types of physical diseases warrant doctors the ability to not concede. The brain is complex and there are a ton of stuff being studied by professionals around the world. I would assume the doctors did standard testing for that 1.5 years, but that can leave out a large body of knowledge with which to work with.

Also to your second paragraph, you wrote that it was a semantic issue. Bad enough is not terminal. They're different.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
My father tried to kill himself when my parents divorced, he was a coward. On the other hand I work with people who are terminal, they should be allowed to die in peace

1) Not everyone is your father
2) Your views on mental health related issues are terrible

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Because the thing most people know that euthanasia has been used for it to escape the later stages of ternimal illnesses like many cancer situations. Its the only point of comparison people have so it keeps getting brought up.

Then use that specific point of comparison don't imply all forms of cancer is terminal which is why I was arguing against that silly statement.

poodpick

People who have been struggling with life long mental illness that hasn't been responsive to treatment can finally find relief.

liquidtmd

Banned
If she's been in mental anguish for 15 years and it's not improving, then let her rest.

Imagine having a voice in your head screaming at you for 15 years. Having gone through therapy. And treatment. And counselling. And yet it remains. I don't think it's selfish at all to want end it all in that case.

People coming into this thread with the typical 'slippery slope' comments, as always, kinda skip over the context and background of the story and pretend she's just woke up one morning wanting to die and that it's been approved without professional medical and legal panels no questions asked.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The only thing I wanted to make a point on was that there being treatable variants of an illness isn't an argument for or against a singular instance of it being treatable or not.

The difference here being the without doing anything cancer will kill you, suicidal tendencies by themselves won't kill you and unless someone allows her to commit suicide which hasn't happened for the past 24, the scientific process goes on and the potential for a cure is still possible.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If they've tried everything then they've tried everything. I can understand a fraction of her hopeless due to my own medical issues and can't imagine living like that for most of her life.

terrisus

At first glance this strikes me as a bit extreme.

On the other hand, I'm strongly in favor of people being able to choose when/how/under what situations and circumstances they choose to end their life, and I don't really like the idea of limiting or restricting that in any way.
So as long as she went through a proper process and appropriate people assessed that this was her decision, I'm fine with it.

And, frankly, the alternative may well have been her overdosing on sleeping pills or using a gun - both of which are riskier and more problematic for pretty much everyone involved (investigation and such for those left. Risk of failure for her).

Irminsul

The difference here being the without doing anything cancer will kill you, suicidal tendencies by themselves won't kill you and unless someone allows her to commit suicide which hasn't happened for the past 24, the scientific process goes on and the potential for a cure is still possible.
Now you're again arguing about things I never made a statement on in the post you first quoted.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This thread still shows mental health issues aren't taken seriously enough by many.

Eh look at the laws for many western countries regarding mental illness. Suicidal patients losing the right to consent is not some new callous things, same with dementia patients and a whole host of mental illness. Most of those arguments simply represent a different side to that.

Now you're again arguing about things I never made a statement on in the post you first quoted.

Yes but can't have such a comparison while ignoring that fact.

Beefy

So she has to live in pain until they either find a cure or she dies of old age? That isn't going to happen, she has come to the point were she can suffer no more. Isn't it better that her family can say good bye and her die in a peaceful way rather then one morning finding her dead?

Irminsul

I think the difference between this and other types of physical diseases warrant doctors the ability to not concede. The brain is complex and there are a ton of stuff being studied by professionals around the world. I would assume the doctors did standard testing for that 1.5 years, but that can leave out a large body of knowledge with which to work with.
Well she certainly tried things before entering the euthanasia programme, especially if she had issues for 15 years. I think at that point you just have to concede, especially if you don't know much about the illness in particular. I mean, if she wants to she can of course act as a guinea pig considering experimental treatments, but I certainly would leave that to her.

Also to your second paragraph, you wrote that it was a semantic issue. Bad enough is not terminal. They're different.
That's what I mean with a semantic issue: sure, it's not the same, but at the end there's a human being suffering without any methods known to you to help.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
If people want to die I'm not going to stop them, you have that right. I'm not going to sympathize with their choice.

This doesn't make your comment any better, you still are saying terrible things. Plus you are missing the intricacies of mental health, in many cases it isn't their choice. They are sick.

Beefy

Eh look at the laws for many western countries regarding mental illness. Suicidal patients losing the right to consent is not some new callous things, same with dementia patients and a whole host of mental illness. Most of those arguments simply represent a different side to that.

Laws are always 100% right aren't they? The fact is for years mental illness has been seen as a taboo, something that shouldn't be talked about or people know very little about. Far more needs to be done to help people with mental health issues.

Lamel

Banned
So I ask again if you think she's not in a state of mind to make decisions, what is your solution? Lock her up?

No...I was going to say keep seeking professional help but...

The doctors who are familiar with her case approved this.

...if the doctors are suggesting this then there is probably some basis for their suggestion. Seems a little odd to me, but obviously none of us are in the authoritative position to know all the details.

Irminsul

Yes but can't have such a comparison while ignoring that fact.
But that wasn't a comparison, and certainly not of the things you mentioned. It was an analogy, solely on the point I described before. That's how analogies work. Not everything of both instances has to be same for this.

Omni

I believe that we should have the right to choose when and how we die. So I don't have a problem with this.

Obviously it's not ideal. But it's not my decision to make.

If you want to die, go ahead. Its a cowards way out because you shift the burden to those around you.
This actually makes me really annoyed. I'm going to leave before I get myself banned.

Why the exemption for cancer sufferers?

Why does physical pain and suffering supersede psychological pain and suffering in your idiotic and ridiculous table of who you feel is and isn't a coward?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I dunno. In those cases, it's because the patients are judged by doctors as unable to clearly make their own decision.

But in her particular situation, she has the backing of medical professionals as well. If you agree to the concession of consent for patients deemed "unable" to make their own decisions, then you must still accept this outcome because the authorities on her case are in alignment with her own desires.

Most of the arguments here are emotional objections to euthanization.

E-phonk

Banned
An english text describing the situation /procedure in Belgium. It's a neutral/critical piece from 2006, but it gives a neutral point of view imo (including some of the risks described here).

Core conditions

Five core conditions are required. These conditions concur with the requirements set by Belgian law. First, the request for assisted suicide should have arisen independently of any external pressure. Patients who primarily have a mental disorder are at substantial risk of judging themselves to be a burden on their carers. The psychiatrist has to make sure that there is no external pressure towards the ending of life, either perceived subjectively or actual.

As a second condition, the request needs to be well considered. This means that the patient should be competent. However, the assessment of competence in a patient with a mental disorder is not straightforward, since the presence of mental disorder does not necessarily imply incompetence (Burgess & Hawton, 1998; Nederlandse Vereniging voor Psychiatrie, 1998; Kerkhof, 2000). Some examples are patients with recurrent depressive or psychotic episodes who are in symptom-free periods of recovery; patients suffering from isolated psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations, who have preserved enough awareness of the illness; and certain cases of chronic depression which are not characterised by low mood and nihilism but rather by psychomotor disabilities and sleep difficulties (Nederlandse Vereniging voor Psychiatrie, 1998). Moreover, incompetence of the patient does not necessarily have to result in a refusal of the request for assisted death. However, this sliding standard of competence poses the risk of further paternalistic, non-voluntary euthanasia, as personal values of the psychiatrist might contribute to the judgement.

Third, the longing for death should be persistent. This is specified as the repeated and unequivocal expression of the request, to the physician as well as to a third party, over a period of at least several months. However, the request does not need to be in writing, because this might lead to patients forming an emotional attachment to their suicidal intent (Nederlandse Vereniging voor Psychiatrie, 1998).

Fourth, the suffering must be perceived by the patient as unbearable. To evaluate this, the establishment of a profound and sustained therapeutic relationship between doctor and patient is essential (Nederlandse Vereniging voor Psychiatrie, 1998).

Finally, suffering has to be beyond human aid. This signifies that there is no realistic therapeutic option left; that is, there is no remaining treatment option that gives a prospect of improvement within a reasonable period of time and that imposes no unreasonable burden on the patient. Essentially, this implies that all applicable biological, psychotherapeutic and social interventions should have taken place, according to medical understanding and to the personal values, standards and life aims of the patient (Nederlandse Vereniging voor Psychiatrie, 1998; Schoevers et al, 1998).

Kamion

Is being this ignorant to other people's struggle fun?
I don't wish sickness on people but I kind of wish you could experience what depression feels like.

Not only physical suffering causes pain you know.

EDIT since I haven't posted in this before:
I don't condone this. Depression is hard but can be treated. I can see the reasoning behind this - if euthanasia is good for physical pain, it's also applicable to emotional pain. As someone who has struggled with this, though... It just makes me sad on a personal level.

Air

Banned
Well she certainly tried things before entering the euthanasia programme, especially if she had issues for 15 years. I think at that point you just have to concede, especially if you don't know much about the illness in particular. I mean, if she wants to she can of course act as a guinea pig considering experimental treatments, but I certainly would leave that to her.

Im not saying she hasn't tried or worked on anything, I'm sure they tried standard tests and methods for depression (whatever those may be), but I don't know if it's wise to assume those standard methods are the best or most practical for treating her.

Im not saying she hasn't tried or worked on anything, I'm sure they tried standard tests and methods for depression (whatever those may be), but I don't know if it's wise to assume those standard methods are the best or most practical for treating her.

What is your honest to god solution?

She wants to die and wants to do it in a painless way.

How do you suggest you'd keep her alive.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I dunno. In those cases, it's because the patients are judged by doctors as unable to clearly make their own decision.

But in her particular situation, she has the backing of medical professionals as well. If you agree to the concession of consent for patients deemed "unable" to make their own decisions, then you must still accept this outcome because the authorities on her case are in alignment with her own desires.

Most of the arguments here are emotional objections to euthanization.

That comes down to the law itself and these laws aren't universal, much like how the age of consent for children is not universal. it would require me to research Belgium's laws regarding this to determine if it's one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom