• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Red Bull codes apparently had a ton of them compromised. The legend grows.

Lee

Once again, Bungie fucked up.

Eh, promotion was a bit dense, but there is a 0% chance that Bungie was in charge of the code system. Considering they're printed on Red Bull cans, and need to be redeemed on Red Bull's website for what is essentially a new, second code that is then redeemed on Bungie.net, I think the code issues are all on Red Bull or whatever third party they handed this off to.

ul7GkLG.png

lel

good stuff gaf.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I remember awhile ago when CoD started the doritos/mountain dew xp boost shit, they printed the codes on the OUTSIDE OF THE BAGS which let anyone just grab them without buying stuff.

Savitar

I don't know if gamers got their moneys worth with Destiny but all these blunders make for terrific value at free.

This is the BEST scenario that could have happened from this. I am so amused. Also, fuck Red Bull. Just period.

Also,
Maybe somebody should have told Red Bull that Destiny players are used to exploiting poorly designed encounters, levels, and restrictions along with paying a premium for content like this.

DAMN, that is first reply material right there! Bravo!

Trup1aya

Hmm, I almost felt sorry for folks who bought cans of this crap just for the promotion....

Then I realized they are endorsing some ridiculous behavior and and lost all simpathy...

It's a shame Red Bull got some extra sales, and Bungie some cross marketing revenue out of the deal... The only folks who lose anything are the brainwashed consumers...

Two Words

Maybe somebody should have told Red Bull that Destiny players are used to exploiting poorly designed encounters, levels, and restrictions along with paying a premium for content like this.

Krakn3Dfx

I'd like to feel bad for someone in this scenario, but it's difficult.

Companies that rip content out of an already content light game in a marketing deal to get people to buy a shitty energy drink? Nope, I can't do it.

The people who buy said shitty energy drink to get a code and support this sort of thing? Again, it's tough.

I genuinely feel bad that I can't feel bad, hopefully that counts for something.

benjammin

Yea, I don't feel bad for anyone on this one. The idea behind the promotion was terrible, the execution of the promotion was awful, and the people who supported it are just enabling bungie and Activision to keep shitting on consumers. Sometimes people get exactly what they deserve.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Eh. I refuse to feel outraged over this.

Fuck Bungie, Activision and Red Bull for coming up with this crap. Enablers who actually buy into stuff like this also won't get any recognition from me.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
kids have been stealing codes from soda tops for 30 years. I remember someone showing me this trick in the 80's when every other contest was about collecting soda caps.

hearing a bunch of grown men try to take a high road on this is absolutely hysterical.

FoxSpirit

Just read up on how to "generate" a code.

It seems to be batch specific and within the respective batches, ridiculously easy. When your security is that bad, I rest the main guilt on the shoulders of whoever "came up" with the algorithm.

SND

Banned
I don't think that's possible without a degree of collateral damage and virtually nobody who actually bought a can would to be able to prove that they didn't just enter a random code.

Yeah, it's not possible. I bought two cans, and the second code didn't work. I have no way of proving either code actually belonged to me unless someone from Activision asks me to mail them the can... which I no longer have.

Trojan

This is fast becoming a cluster. Activision/Redbull need to figure out how to solve this quick before too many legit patrons get hosed.

I think the best course of action is to ease multiple-use restrictions for codes and then put a cap on the amount of XP one individual can redeem. They will lose out on some significant sales if they do this, but that's better than having a completely comprimised promotion and not addressing it.

Someone really did not plan out the code generation process on the Activision/Red Bull side. I'm betting they knowingly compromised the complexity in order to roll out this promotion cheaper/faster than they normally could. Great example of underestimating the Internet.

Everyone is taking a bite of this shit sandwich.

kids have been stealing codes from soda tops for 30 years. I remember someone showing me this trick in the 80's when every other contest was about collecting soda caps.

hearing a bunch of grown men try to take a high road on this is absolutely hysterical.

So if someone showed you this trick in the 80's, that would make you a grown man who steals?

SaganIsGOAT

Hmm, I almost felt sorry for folks who bought cans of this crap just for the promotion....

Then I realized they are endorsing some ridiculous behavior and and lost all simpathy...

It's a shame Red Bull got some extra sales, and Bungie some cross marketing revenue out of the deal... The only folks who lose anything are the brainwashed consumers...

Wow you'll last long here. FYI people can buy whatever they feel like and shouldn't have to deal with some sweaty nerd who spends their days bitching on the internet stealing what they paid for. That's the issue. You didn't buy the can nor the code. Just because you don't condone the things people spend their money on doesn't mean they deserve to get fucked because of scummy people on an Internet forum using their code first.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Now that you've screwed up mind as well make the quest free for everyone. The XP thing is worthless as it's very easy to get that amount of XP with bounties.

SaganIsGOAT

Yea, I don't feel bad for anyone on this one. The idea behind the promotion was terrible, the execution of the promotion was awful, and the people who supported it are just enabling bungie and Activision to keep shitting on consumers. Sometimes people get exactly what they deserve.

So people who willingly wanted to support this deserve to be robbed? Okay then

FoxSpirit

This thread highlights a problem: people want to have simple, one sided opinions. It seems impossible for most to see and accept both sides of the coin

Heads: using codes you did are no legitimately allowed to own and in return screw over legit owners over is wrong and actually constitutes theft

Tails: it's Red Bull's fault for coming up with a code system so ridiculously easy you can crack it by simply buying a 24 crate and laying out the tabs. In under 5 minutes.

Both sides of the coin exist. It's what makes the complete coin. One does not relativise or nullify the other.

This thread highlights a problem: people want to have simple, one sided opinions. It seems impossible for most to see and accept both sides of the coin

Heads: using codes you did are no legitimately allowed to own and in return screw over legit owners over is wrong and actually constitutes theft

Tails: it's Red Bull's fault for coming up with a code system so ridiculously easy you can crack it by simply buying a 24 crate and laying out the tabs. In under 5 minutes.

Both sides of the coin exist. It's what makes the complete coin. One does not relativise or nullify the other.

stealing is just, like, an opinion maaaaaaan

Drain You

Of the 8 redbull me and my gf bought only 6 of the codes work. I was pretty dissapointed, but I still have pictures of the tabs so I may email them to see if I can get a new code.

massoluk

Banned
This is funny. I mean obviously we should not blame the victim. Red Bull being lazy ruined it but still this is funny.

So people who willingly wanted to support this deserve to be robbed? Okay then

Let's clear the record here. Nobody wanted to buy a can of redbull to get a code for an exclusive quest. They had three options, 1. Buy a Redbull. 2. Wait a few months 3. Game the system (Steal).

Activision and Bungie didn't exactly make it a tough call for people to take option three with their terrible handling of pretty much everything they've ever done with Destiny.

Drain You

Let's clear the record here. Nobody wanted to buy a can of redbull to get a code for an exclusive quest. They had three options, 1. Buy a Redbull. 2. Wait a few months 3. Game the system (Steal).

Activision and Bungie didn't exactly make it a tough call for people to take option three with their terrible handling of pretty much everything they've ever done with Destiny.

I wouldn't say what people did or did not want to do, speak for yourself...

Drain You

You said, legitimately. "Oh man exclusive quest pay gated behind a Redbull Redbull can. I can't wait to buy that!." ?

As someone who already drinks Redbull, as soon as I heard about this promotion I got excited. I even was able to snag a couple codes for my friends overseas. I esp see no problem with this cause everyone's getting the quest, if you don't want to buy a Redbull just wait it out.

Reebot

Lol.

Theft is cool so long as it's not a tough call.

Fox318

Fucking shitheads are ruining it for other people too. I bought a can of this kind (I always drink blue or yellow if I can) in particular to get the code for my buddy.. and didn't pay much attention when grabbing it since I was drinking the yellow version first. Grab the can from the fridge a few days later and find out some fuck had taken the tab off! Apparently the codes are printed on the back of them.

Had to figure out how to actually get it open while at work without any good tools for it and then I couldn't even give the code away since it was gone!

so destiny is not only ruining gamers lives but now ruining innocent bystanders?

SaganIsGOAT

Glad you can speak for everyone who voted with their dollar to support this!!!!

j-wood

Real talk: Society can't handle grey areas. It has to be black and white. It's why we can't understand why the confederate flag shouldn't fly at a state capitol, but it's fine for Dukes of Hazzard to air on TV.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Destiny sure is video games.

Reebot

Real talk: Society can't handle grey areas. It has to be black and white. It's why we can't understand why the confederate flag shouldn't fly at a state capitol, but it's fine for Dukes of Hazzard to air on TV.

Real talk: lol at that random comparison and broad conclusions. Some expert level sociology analysis up in here.

j-wood

Real talk: lol at that random comparison and broad conclusions. Some expert level sociology analysis up in here.

Well I was just using recent events. I mean isn't that how everything is lately? In everything, politics, video games, etc.

It's either this, or it's that. Nothing inbetween.

SaganIsGOAT

Well I was just using recent events. I mean isn't that how everything is lately? In everything, politics, video games, etc.

Either you bought the can to get a code because you wanted to, or you stole a code like an asshole because it was easy to. This is either or.

Reebot

If this is one of those meta jokes you hip kids make it's going right over my head.

If you're serious then no, it's not like that. And in this case it's pretty funny to say a shady business practice makes stealing alright.

Man, I haven't played Destiny, but all the drama surrounding it has created some absolute comedic gold which is more than likely more fun than the game itself.

Top Bottom