• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please Stop! Trailer are spoiling movies and making me not want to watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Just look at the trailer for genesys.... they give away everything.

Terminatyr was sort of weird though, in that they weren't getting any buzz and felt they needed to kickstart things by starting to advertise the mid-movie twist. AFAIK that wasn't the original marketing plan.

BahamutPT

Cinematic teasers are the new trailers, I believe.
I usually don't watch much of the stuff released after a teaser, unless I don't get a good grasp of what the movie is about. Or when I'm "forced" to do so at a venue.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have to say I agree. Dating back to the first Tom Cruise Mission Impossible. You can tell what's going to happen. Self/Less has everything you need to know. Southpaw was basically a trailer and a movie. There's no point in seeing the film.

You get what's it about, what event changes everything, what the person does, and then the final scene. It's horrible. All you need to know is if anyone dies at the end. Southpaw was basically everything in a montage.

It's kinda lame. We don't need to see every single event in the movie. There's no point in watching the movie.

This is why spoilers for games suck. Instead you read someone spoil everything for you and you question why you even read the review in the first place.

Abounder

Banned
I wish it was the trailers that stopped me from watching the movies, anyway I have no problem with this kind of "spoiling" because of books. Look at the back of Ender's Game and the plot twists are right there!

LakeEarth

Cast Away featuring Tom Hanks had one of the worse trailers that told you if he got home or not.

He talked to a friend about the funeral they had when he got back home even with it having no body.

The LAST SCENE in the trailer was the LAST SCENE of the movie. The trailer was literally the entire movie plot line, from beginning to end.

Vyer

I fucking love trailers.

If the movie is worth a damn it'll still be entertaining despite what's in the trailer.

Beaten but Cast away trailer is the best example of this

I watched it once and holy shit it had everything haha , from the crash -island - getting home and cross road ending

Made me go 0_o at someone letting them let that trailer air

cyba89

making a good trailer that doesn't give away too much is apparently as hard as making a movie itself.

It's not so hard, but people just want to see everything a movie has to offer in the trailer.

The Tomorrowland marketing was heavily criticised for showing too little and you can see the results in the box office. There were a lot of posts here that went like 'What is this movie even about?'.
Personally I had no problem with this. The trailers transported a family-friendly adventure movie vibe and I got that in the film. I knew what I can expect without getting every little detail spoiled in the trailers.

ItIsOkBro

There's definitely a correlation between how much I don't enjoy something and how much I pay attention to it pre-release, this goes for everything from movies to games to music. I'm gonna stop watching trailers, previews, interview, everything.

DJ_Lae

Yeah, I gave up watching trailers a couple of years back because most of them spell out the entire plot and are little more than the story beats of the movie compressed into two or three minutes. There is very little surprise left at the end of them, and I find myself going into the movie myself going "I remember this part, and this part."

funkypie

Banned
Mad max trailer was amazing. Especially with the score being used and the lovely day repeated about 4 times.

Just watched the cast away trailer and holy shit so bad.

Lunar15

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad thing to know the general plot of a movie... as long as the movie's competently made and has emotion behind it. I mean, why do we go see movies based on true stories when we absolutely know the outcome? We go because we want to see the performance, the pathos, and the spectacle. If your movie contains none of the above, then yeah, knowing everything in advance is going to make everything feel lame. I don't like the general trend where writers have to rely on "twists" to think they have a good movie.

I always approach spoilers with the thinking that the complete story will still be satisfying.

Like even if I knew the end of a movie or a game, it's the journey that is rewarding.

It's shocking how may trailers spoil the endings/huge plot points. It's nothing new either, old trailers were just as guilty. Anyone that watches TCM can vouch for this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Having experienced movie twists without being spoiled.... I think their effect is completely overrated.

It's some myth that if you had walked into Empore Strikes Back without being spoiled, and I saw "I am your father", you'd be on the ground convulsing with waves of pleasure. Actually you'd just say in your mind "holy shit" and within seconds be back to accepting your new reality. The entire enjoyment of the film would still depend on how things unfolded, and these precious "spoilers" merely punctuation that don't change the enjoyment of the overall narrative.

So I'm on team "spoilers don't matter". It's not what happens that is ever interesting... It's how it happens.

It's not so hard, but people just want to see everything a movie has to offer in the trailer.

The Tomorrowland marketing was heavily criticised for showing too little and you can see the results in the box office. There were a lot of posts here that went like 'What is this movie even about?'.
Personally I had no problem with this. The trailers transported a family-friendly adventure movie vibe and I got that in the film. I knew what I can expect without getting every little detail spoiled in the trailers.

Exactly. Don't show enough and you get a Tomorrowland situation where people go "what the heck is this movie about" and the movie bombs due to "bad marketing."

Besides, a lot of movies people complain about in here don't even give away that much. Jurassic World for example
Barely shows the Indominous Rex, and doesn't show the Raptors turning on humans, or the final confrontation at all.

This is why I absolutely hate the Terminator Genysis trailer. With a twist that big just given away like that, the only way that the movie can redeem itself is if there's an even bigger twist that hasn't been shown in the trailer.
havent seen Terminator Genysis

The t2 trailer didn't need to give away the twist because all of the marketing for the film did that already. No one went into that movie thinking arnie was the bad guy.

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad thing to know the general plot of a movie... as long as the movie's competently made and has emotion behind it. I mean, why do we go see movies based on true stories when we absolutely know the outcome? We go because we want to see the performance, the pathos, and the spectacle. If your movie contains none of the above, then yeah, knowing everything in advance is going to make everything feel lame. I don't like the general trend where writers have to rely on "twists" to think they have a good movie.
Exactly. Spoiler culture was always a weird thing to me. Do people not enjoy movies like Empire Strikes Back now that everyone knows Darth Vader is Luke's father? A movie is so much more than a plot synopsis or a twist.

Pizza

Yeah trailers are getting nuts, I just mute the tv and surf the internet during commercials for movies I already want to see.

Though it does help me see the movie during the first weekend since usually post-opening night trailers just blow the whole wad.

Jurassic world spoilers:
they *seriously* spoiled the big t-rex vs I-rex fight in the goddamn trailer? That was such a cool surprise. :/

There should be an unspoken rule that a trailer should only be cut from scenes from the first half of a film. I really dislike spoilers. Seeing a movies ending or climax in a trailer really makes it less exciting.

Dear Hollywood,

I know you think viewers are not very smart and you don't respect us or your medium at all and all you want is money, but please, stop spoiling the entire plots of movies on your trailers. Also, don't give away the big surprises and punchlines or jokes away.

Just this year, these trailers have completely turned me off from watching these movies:
Southpaw
Self/less
Terminator Genisys

The trailers made me not go watch these movies, so they are having the opposite effect that you intended.
EXACTLY! What would have been the most shocking twist of the entire movie instead turned into a nagging frustration that persisted until the end of the movie because I knew nothing was going to top that scene!

Still an awesome movie, but come on! This isn't even the first time this has happened with a Terminator movie. They don't learn! They just don't learn!

Terminatyr was sort of weird though, in that they weren't getting any buzz and felt they needed to kickstart things by starting to advertise the mid-movie twist. AFAIK that wasn't the original marketing plan.

Interesting, but they still did the same with Terminator 2 and Terminator Salvation. It still seems stupid no matter what.

Senoculum

It annoys me to high heaven. This is why I won't be seeing any fucking trailers for Batman V Superman; even though Warner Brother's has the best marketing team in the industry (Gravity, Godzilla, Interstellar - those trailers were great).

thenexus6

Watch the initial teaser or none at all. If you like the director, writer, actors or premise just go in blind. Much better that way.

I wish they filmed scenes only for the trailer.

Especially comedies. I don't want to hear your joke again.

A couple movies do this but not enough

Rafy

The Martian trailer really pissed me off for having scenes that are towards the end in the book and of importance to the story. I really want to watch the movie and the book was my favorite one this year (so far), but this trailer showed too much.

Joni

I skipped Jurassic World because I got the feeling I already saw everything in the trailer.
The pre-release trailers managed to hide the best parts.

I'd rather risk watching a not-so-good movie, than being bored of a good movie because I am able to guess every major story development and action scene just from the trailer. Avengers 2 was a disappointment for me and I think it was partly, because they already showed almost everything in the various trailers and TV-Spots they released.
Or maybe it just wasn't a good movie.

N0VAM0D

Recently, the trailer for The Martian just completely ruined the book for me. I still ended up enjoying it quite a bit, but I didn't like knowing everything that was going to happen. So annoying.

I've found the the TV spots right before and after release are actually the worst offenders for spoilers. The recent Jurassic World one is a perfect example. They show not only the climax scene (which reveals something unexpected), but the last shot of the movie.

Haven't seen it myself, but apparently the recent Ant-Man one reveals something you wouldn't expect to see either.

Prometheus was pretty bad. I remember someone piecing together the entire plot from just the trailers, and it was spot on.

Jetman

This is why I absolutely hate the Terminator Genysis trailer. With a twist that big just given away like that, the only way that the movie can redeem itself is if there's an even bigger twist that hasn't been shown in the trailer.
havent seen Terminator Genysis

The TG spoiler was about the worst I've seen in my recollection. Everyone who has seen the trailer, and I'm just going to assume > 90% of people in that theater saw the trailer and knew that, ....well, just in case,
Older John Connor shows up to meet Sarah Conner in the "present-ish" time frame AND that he's a Terminator
. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking, 'these assholes, the fuck did they show that for? Did they really have to?' And these characters' scene and the meet-up with each other, followed by the 'twist' isn't a few seconds apart. They're having whole conversations which the audience is probably tuning out since they know the twist already.

Cast Away featuring Tom Hanks had one of the worse trailers that told you if he got home or not.

He talked to a friend about the funeral they had when he got back home even with it having no body.

I'm usually not a spoilerphobe and typically laugh at those who are-but I mean c'mon. This trailer is legendary for spoiling literally the entire movie-including the final scene and shot!!!
Robert Zemeckis cuts his own trailers and deliberately spoils the movie in them. “We know from studying the marketing of movies, people really want to know exactly every thing that they are going to see before they go see the movie. It’s just one of those things. To me, being a movie lover and film student and a film scholar and a director, I don’t. What I relate it to is McDonald’s. The reason McDonald’s is a tremendous success is that you don’t have any surprises. You know exactly what it is going to taste like. Everybody knows the menu.”

What Lies Beneath would have been a cool Hitchcockian thriller, except you know
Harrison Ford
did it from the trailer. The first hour of the movie is then boring and pointless.

Having experienced movie twists without being spoiled.... I think their effect is completely overrated.

It's some myth that if you had walked into Empore Strikes Back without being spoiled, and I saw "I am your father", you'd be on the ground convulsing with waves of pleasure. Actually you'd just say in your mind "holy shit" and within seconds be back to accepting your new reality. The entire enjoyment of the film would still depend on how things unfolded, and these precious "spoilers" merely punctuation that don't change the enjoyment of the overall narrative.

So I'm on team "spoilers don't matter". It's not what happens that is ever interesting... It's how it happens.
I saw Empire in the theaters, and there was collective shock in the theater at that reveal. Shared moments like that are what make going to the theater worthwhile.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Terminator Genisys's trailer was so stupid, hahaha. They like reveal the main twist of the movie even before people gets to see them the first time. Such idiotic decision.

Omni

I don't watch trailers.

Usually just poke around forums to see what people are hyped about instead.

kingwingin

Worst was when step brothers came out and the best part of the trailer wasn't even in the movie.

"He'll never know your gone!"

Dabanton

Just watch the first trailer. It usually shows the least. Then skip all the other trailers, and the tv spots.

Pretty much this.

I used to watch all the trailers, then see a movie and not really enjoy it as much.

I've since had a 1 trailer rule and I'm actually being surprised by movies now, as I haven't seen all the 'big' moments that get spoiled in trailers. I couldn't believe that Terminator: Genisys John Connor bad guy reveal. That would have been a genuinely nice surprise, when I went to see that movie, instead they show it (I haven't seen TG yet maybe theirs another twist to that)

I'm liking the current fashion for only showing scenes from the first half of the movie, I think that's a better compromise. We've seen Both AoU and Jurassic World take that approach.

Monocle

Let me correct you, OP. Terminator Genisys' trailer didn't turn you off from the movie. When you watched the trailer you basically watched the movie. I hope you liked it, because yeah.

sounds like they're mostly doing you a service given that list of films

The Mad Max trailer was so visually striking and incredibly well edited that i wouldn't have checked that film out otherwise.
Same here. What sold me was the sandstorm scene along with the music. Little did I know I was about to see a work of such incredible craft and vision that 99% of the action genre looks primitive by comparison. I guess it's hard to convey just how brilliant Fury Road is in a trailer, even a really good trailer. They had to sell the film like an exciting chase movie with some nice visual effects and art design, when it's really so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom