• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please stop shouting ALLAHU AKBAR into my headphones

aeolist

Banned
For reference: http://www.playinsurgency.com/ It's a genuinely awesome game. Mute function is quick and easy to use, which is good because I assure you it's getting a LOT of use.

Stop. Just stop. You're not clever, it's not funny, and nobody is impressed by your biting political commentary. Also, keeping in mind that I do not personally give two shits about religion, it's insulting and degrading to a very large number of people in the world and I kinda think you're just being a nasty prick for no reason.

One thing that does kinda make me laugh about it is that every server MOTD I see in any PC shooter says NO RACISM, sometimes in giant colored letters. If anyone has ever been kick/banned from any pub match for casual racism I'd be mightily shocked.

When I was a mod for a TF2 server way way back, I didn't stand for that crap. I didn't give a shit if you were just joking, you were getting a 24-hour ban. This went for being an ass towards the women who played on our server as well. I didn't care. Get out.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I appreciate you confirming my uninformed opinions regarding online multiplayer experiences in general

rpmboy

I don't think there's a lot of overlap between the type of people who do that and the type of people who visit GAF

Sakujou

Banned
some references or some context would be nice.

so is this a thing in pc games/mods? certain games?

has this thing been going on lately(since ISIS) or what is this?

I need context on what this means and why it's said commonly in this game.

In Insurgency, you have two teams of defender and attacker respectively. In order to fit the Iraqi theme, the attackers are usually Iraq terrorist.

And then there is rpg in the game. Mix those two up, and you get this.

Dmonzy

This is like telling little kids on xbox live to stop yelling profanities in CoD.

Nothing's going to change.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
?

LiM6EhO.jpg

For reference, Allahu Akbar simply means "God is great", and as Muslims, we say it on a daily basis in our prayers.

And no, it does not mean we will blow something up as you on YouTube or various Vine compilations lol. It's true meaning has just been ripped apart contextually and has had its meaning smeared from vids across the internet.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Takbir#/Jihadist_usage

the two teams are called Security (a US armed forces stand-in) and Insurgents (jihadists)

Did you read the rest of the article or just cherry pick what you wanted to hear?

The Takbīr (تَكْبِير), also written Tekbir or Takbeer, is the term for the Arabic phrase Allāhu Akbar (الله أكبر), usually translated as "God is [the] greatest," or "God is great".[1] It is a common Islamic Arabic expression, used in various contexts by Muslims; in formal prayer, in the call for prayer (adhān),[2] as an informal expression of faith, in times of distress, to express celebration or victory, or to express resolute determination or defiance.

Yes, it's used by Jihadists as well.

Coincidentally, you are playing as Jihadists in Insurgency.

Banned
It's "God is great" in arabic.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Takbir#/Jihadist_usage

the two teams are called Security (a US armed forces stand-in) and Insurgents (jihadists)

God is great. Terrorists say it when something is about to explode, at least in this meme.

Means "God is great/greatest" and was used by islamic terrorists when they killed themselves/others which the internet made into a meme.

www.reddit.com/r/unexpectedjihad for such videos.

In Insurgency, you have two teams of defender and attacker respectively. In order to fit the Iraqi theme, the attackers are usually Iraq terrorist.

And then there is rpg in the game. Mix those two up, and you get this.

For reference, Allahu Akbar simply means "God is great", and as, Muslims we say it on a daily basis in our prayers.

And no, it does not mean we will blow something up as you on YouTube or various Vine compilations lol. It's true meaning has just been ripped apart contextually and has had its meaning smeared from vids across the internet.
Ah, so it's another spiritual saying that the Internet butchered and turned into a meme.

Thanks guys.

I agree OP, people should stop saying it.

Vitacat

It's "God is great" in arabic.

That's a Westernized translation. From what I've read, it's more accurately "Allah is the greatest," as in most powerful etc.

Anyway, I have no idea what the context of this OP is, but how exactly is it "racist" that people are saying this phrase? Are these Islamic people saying it, or non-islamic people using it as dark humor? And even if so, Islam is a religion, a system of beliefs, not a race.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
First I would just like to say that Insurgency is an awesome game and everyone should play it.

Second, this doesn't really bother me in-game. You'll only hear it from people on the Insurgent side, while people on the Security side will yell US-centric slogans like "USA! USA!" It's pretty much become a meme at this point so there's no stopping it.

hesido

For reference, Allahu Akbar simply means "God is great", and as, Muslims we say it on a daily basis in our prayers.

Unfortunately it's not the non-muslims who ripped apart the meaning.

aeolist

Banned
That's a very Westernized translation. From what I've read, it's accurately "Allah is the greatest," as in most powerful etc.

Anyway, I have no idea what the context of this OP is, but how exactly is it "racist" that people are saying this phrase? Are these Islamic people saying it, or non-islamic people using it as dark humor? And even if so, Islam is a religion, a system of beliefs, not a race.

these are american middle class white dudes age 15-35 shouting into their microphones every single match and thinking that they are fucking hilarious

i don't know how you read the OP and didn't catch that i know exactly why people do it

"Also, keeping in mind that I do not personally give two shits about religion, it's insulting and degrading to a very large number of people in the world and I kinda think you're just being a nasty prick for no reason."

Where are these people that are getting offended? I'm genuinely curious. I have not met one, and would assume that this would be a larger controversy if this was actively offending very large groups of people.

I agree that it shouldn't be used by people for no reason - it's stupid. But insulting, degrading, and offensive?

Springy

That's a very Westernized translation. From what I've read, it's more accurately "Allah is the greatest," as in most powerful etc.

I imagine it's English-speaking pre-teens, considering the context OP gave. I used to hear it a lot from squeaky white boys when I played CS.

Unfortunately it's not the non-muslims who ripped apart the meaning.

The word has always been there though, it's just with the recent events of ISIS etc and those YouTube vids you get of them, toggled with social media/memes, you start to get all sorts of stuff lol.

Top Bottom