• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nekoburo CatsBlock |OT| Bow before your (square cat) overlords

ZeroAKA

About
NEKOBURO : CatsBlock is a game for the PlayStation Vita in which players can easily play during short breaks in their daily activities. Place three blocks with the same color in a line to clear them. There are several items that players need to use in order to clear stages and complete missions. Use those items wisely to help Totan find his friends. Through the 50 levels and the survival mode of NEKOBURO, players can unlock collectibles to decorate their own room and play with the square cats!

Now out in NA ($7.99) and EU (€7,99), 176 MB.

Features
  • An immersive story with full Japanese vocals and English subtitles
  • Simple match-three gameplay separated into short stages and quests
  • A personalized room that players can decorate and interact with cats in

GAF Impressions
So I finished the first 10 levels of Nekoburo: Cats Block, so here's some impressions/info:
  • It's a somewhat standard tile matching game a la Puyo Puyo for better or worse.
  • You can store powerups to clear horiz/vert lines or clear a 3x3 grid around a cat.
  • Cats can also spawn with power ups.
  • Story levels all have set objectives like clear this many of this color of cat, get this many chains.
  • Levels switch up speed, color count and such to mix things up, good variety so far.
  • There's ranks for the level, best I have is SS. Seems based on score not time, I cleared one insanely quickly and got a B.
  • Music is pretty good and cute too, new track every 10 levels it seems.
  • Story is simple and cute as expected. Fully voice acted...in Japanese. You can skip it if you prefer.
  • You can play around with the cats with toys or drag them around at the home menu. Not a full on minigame but a cute distraction
  • There's a "survival mode" I haven't unlocked yet but is probably the standard Tetris style endless level.
  • There's some minorly awkward english but nothing that's prevented me from playing.
  • Insanely adorable.

Media
M3ZJyUN.png

0ACWlL4.png

SerTapTap

In case anyone wants to score run, I just got 93700 points and rank 54 in 10 minutes on Survival. Pretty good IMO but at the end I got closed in real bad. Still not sure how to use the last 2 power ups (color change and rainbow block). I think if a leaf/apple/bell breaks the rainbow block it's a full clear.

edit: OMG I was 7k points away from a new furniture unlock with that score, arg.

edit 2: Despite no apparent notification and the manual save button in Options, the game does autosave.

Also, press buttons while the game's loading to change the cat's animation.

In case anyone wants to score run, I just got 93700 points and rank 54 in 10 minutes on Survival. Pretty good IMO but at the end I got closed in real bad. Still not sure how to use the last 2 power ups (color change and rainbow block). I think if a leaf/apple/bell breaks the rainbow block it's a full clear.

edit: OMG I was 7k points away from a new furniture unlock with that score, arg.

edit 2: Despite no apparent notification and the manual save button in Options, the game does autosave.

Also, press buttons while the game's loading to change the cat's animation.

Oh cool, you're playing it already. So what do you think, any good? Worth buying at £6.49?

people

I was maybe going to get Mind Zero like every time it's on sale, but got this instead. I don't even love cats.

SerTapTap

Oh cool, you're playing it already. So what do you think, any good? Worth buying at £6.49?

The biggest encouragement/warning I can give is if you look at the trailer and think you will/won't like it, you're probably right. It's super cute, fun, no technical issues, some cute and fun extras like toys to play with the cats, you can pick them up and pet them and stuff, you earn furniture as a sort of secondary achievement.

The game isn't super long (I'm ~halfway through the "quests" at 1:30 hours of solid play), but survival mode and collecting all the SS rank medals will add a few hours on that I'm pretty sure. Not something you're likely to play for dozens of hours (unless you really, REALLY like columns I guess) but worth the asking price IMO.

how did you get the game so fast SirTapTap! - review code?

and yes #BestOnVita

Yeah, review code, no embargo. Should have asked earlier, literally got it yesterday (asked for it the day before). Still not used to this whole thing

SerTapTap

Gets pretty hard in the latter half of Stage 4, my time estimate may have been a bit optimistic.

I feel sorry for them launching on a day where PSN was screwed for half the day in the US

Phototropic

Neo Member
Gets pretty hard in the latter half of Stage 4, my time estimate may have been a bit optimistic.

I feel sorry for them launching on a day where PSN was screwed for half the day in the US
Enjoyed your video, so I think I am going to pick this up. Thanks.

SerTapTap

Someone on Youtube was having issues with the last level so I thought I'd post my suggestion here in case anyone else is:

Start off trying to clear horiz rows of 3 on BOTH sides of the central pillar at the very bottom, this will keep the sand blocks down. Of course use any horiz/3x3 clears trying to remove the pillar if you can. Don't be afraid to use a horiz/3x3 clear if it will keep you alive--bells WILL eventually come down from random cats in this level, not super common but more often than usual. If you can clear the central column somewhat early you should basically have it in the bag since the other columns won't directly kill you.

Finished and got 100% of trophies. It was an alright game. Nothing really special compared to other puzzle games. Getting some stages with SS rank is sometimes pretty hard and requires some luck.

SerTapTap

Finished and got 100% of trophies. It was an alright game. Nothing really special compared to other puzzle games. Getting some stages with SS rank is sometimes pretty hard and requires some luck.

My only particular complaint is that some of the last "clear fast or you will die" stages do seem to require some luck early on to be able to clear fast enough to give yourself breathing room. But every time I thought "how is this possible" I figured out a way to go after just a few losses.

Certainly could have been more fleshed out but IMO that clearly wasn't a focus and I'm fine with that at the price point.

Meier

Looks cute and fun. Will pick it up for my wife at some point -- she's never played my Vita but I'm sure she could pick this up without any difficulty. Price is a little prohibitive if I'm being honest.

SerTapTap

Anyone gotten all trophies yet? How hard is the last Survival Mode one? I got 50% of the way through on first try

maxcriden

Game is super cute. Is it worth getting a Vita for? Any other systems it's on?

ETA: I'm sure that sounds like a silly question b/c it's not the kind of game people call a "system seller" normally. But I do genuinely want to know just how rad the game is. Thanks all.

Noticed this game got a permanent price cut on PSN, reduced to £3.29 or something, so I bought it. For that money it's totally worth it; a really enjoyable game. Okay, you can safely ignore everything outside of the core gameplay because it's rubbish (what the hell is up with that broken Japlish translation), and all the different power ups aren't explained very well, but once you figure things out and start playing at an advanced level to get the highest medal on all the levels, it becomes total crack.

One of 2015's nicest little surprises if you ask me.

Top Bottom