• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever met a celebrity and were dissapointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jindrax

I've never really met any celebrities.
So I was wondering, have any of you guys been like a super fan a someone, then met him and he was a massive douchebag? Or like just so ordinary, not the amazing person you thought he/she was?

Crud

Banned
I don't understand the idea of meeting someone you never met in person before with such high expectations that you became disappointed.

What are you expecting exactly?

I bumped into Regis Philbin at a Chase Manhattan Bank two summers ago and he's probably the shortest man I have ever met.

Conversely, that same summer I met Emily "Beth from The Walking Dead, or, that girl who sings" Kinney at a Starbucks on Columbia avenue and she was shy as fuck and downplayed the fact that she was on a popular show. She blushed hard and wouldn't answer when I asked "But I've seen you in some movie or show..." because it took me a minute to realize where I recognized her from.

She reluctantly came up to me and said "I'm on this TV show called The Walking Dead" and my jaw dropped. I don't get "star struck" at all, but for some reason I had that surreal feeling because my friends and I would event/hate watch it every week here in Taipei, and it was such a strange thing to see her there.

She said "Thanks for watching" in this cute, tiny little voice, on her way out. So that was a suprisingly awesome "celebrity" encounter that is the exact opposite of what most people would expect.

AHA-Lambda

I met Bob Geldof once, he came across as very arrogant frankly.

OTOH, not really a celebrity, but I met the film critic Mark Kermode and he's such a nice guy to talk to :)

w3bba

I exchanged a few words with Nobuo Uematsu at a concert ones. He seemed so shy and was very polite, but thats a general japan thing.
(Also signed my copy of FFX)

I've had the inverse happen.

Short version, Rosario Dawson is one of the coolest, most genuine, down to earth people I've ever met.

Jindrax

I don't understand the idea of meeting someone you never met in person before with such high expectations that you became disappointed.

What are you expecting exactly?

People give off vibes on screen for instance, so when I meet them IRL I expect them to correspond with that vibe.
Like if I were to bump into Neil Patrick Harris, I'd expect him to be a nice funny cool dude.
If he'd turn out to be a douche yeah I'd be dissapointed.

Nugg

I met a french comedian. He's pretty famous here in France. He stunk. Literally. He smelled like he took a bath in a giant ashtray. It was unbearable. I cut short the conversation because of that.

Polari

Christopher Eccleston jogged past me on Hampstead Heath once.

I glanced at him for a split second, the way you do when you recognise someone but can't quite place how you know them.

He shot me one of the dirtiest looks ever.

Also borrowed a book off a friend of mine and never returned it. What a fucker.

Christopher Eccleston jogged past me on Hampstead Heath once.

I glanced at him for a split second, the way you do when you recognise someone but can't quite place how you know them.

He shot me one of the dirtiest looks ever.

Also borrowed a book off a friend of mine and never returned it. What a fucker.

I've always heard that he's a pretty rude person.

zychi

Banned
I met Bill Cosby at a party once, he bought me a drink, and now I'm missing two days of my life.

I assume it was fun and crazy like the Hangover movie, I mean he's Bill Cosby he's a knockout of a good time!

Ashes

Banned
I think I saw Johnny Vegas (that comedian off of pg tips adverts). I always imagined him happy and having a laugh. He just looked miserable. And shorter in real life.

And I think I saw Penalope Cruz once. But that wasn't a disappointment. Think maybe she was taking a selfie with a fan. And god, she looked beautiful. If a little bit short.

A colleague of mines sister works at a nearby film studio, and recently had to deal with Tom Hanks, who was apparently an insufferably unpleasant git to everyone working there.

Personally I've never met any unpleasant celebrities though, thankfully. Particularly Tom Baker (the 4th Doctor) and Jodie Prenger (actress and winner of I'd Do Anything), who are incredibly nice people who seem to genuinely enjoy meeting fans.

Jtrizzy

Dan Marino=douche, Joe Gibbs=also douche. Tino Martinez=super cool, Reba McIntyre=super cool. Peyton Manning=super cool.

edobenoit.jpg

Blue Lou

I met Craig Charles of Red Dwarf in a sandwich shop, he was great, happy to talk about Red Dwarf and how much fun he has working on Takeshi's castle.

Met Christopher Eccleston on a plane, was completely unresponsive to everyone and anything. And it wasn't like everyone was pestering him for autographs, the most anybody did was smile or say hello. Twat.

Also got to get through customers in a 'special lane' while the rest of us plebs had to wait around forever.

No I'm the Asian dude at the front!

To contribute to the thread properly: meeting Richard Dawkins was a disappointment. At a book signing he seemed to really be going through the motions and barely mustered the energy to engage in conversation with anyone.

Loakum

Banned
Game of Thrones Peter Dinklege. I met him during an autograph signing for season #1 of GoT, (during San Diego Comic Con) and I said, "I'm rooting for him to win the Emmy this year." He look at me with utter disgust, and rolled his eyes at me. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt my feelings, the more I thought about it. The rest of the cast, including the author was super friendly though.

I2Js8q0.jpg

Dabanton

I've always gotten the feeling that Peter Dinklege is a bit of a self important knob.

Maybe he was having an off day.

Dabanton

Speaking of another intense UK actor who was a bit of a disappointment. Paddy Considine

Who did the absolute no no for a famous person AKA the 'do you know who I am' talk to front of house security staff.

I've met him twice and each time he was lousy. Shame as I did like his work. But it's hard to separate once you know someone is a bit of an ass to 'normal' people.

i met Tyler the Creator a few weeks ago in a Mcdonalds in the middle of Barcelona.

He was alright, nothing special.

Quite tall though.

Loakum

Banned
I've always gotten the feeling that Peter Dinklege is a bit of a self important knob.

He was probably having a rough day, so I no longer dwell on it. Emilia Clarke was such an sweetheart. Seriously, her smile could light up an room. She was really excited to be there. There was an video of me gushing while talking to Emilia. I think it was called, Comic Con Buzz", it was for season #1. I can't find the video on youtube anymore.

Nope. He was a complete dick to this young interviewer girl (who was very cute and nice) during his Days of Future Past promotion circuit.

He doesn't seem like a very nice guy.

_Zento

I met Sam Neill (Dr Grant from Jurassic Park) when I was a bit younger and he was a very nice and friendly person.

Patrick S.

Banned
German celebs.

Birgitt Schrohwange: arrogant, unpleasant and unwilling to at least put up a fake smile
Timo Boll: same as above
Joey Kelly: same as above

While working as a cashier at a supermarket, I met 3 local (Estonian) actors, more than likely because there's a theater (Von Glehni teater) across the street from where the shop is located.

Henrik Normann: Met him at a super-late hour, must've been 9:30-10:30PM, was very composed, quiet and polite.
Jan.E.Uuspõld: Was trying to keep a low profile so I couldn't really say anything about his character, definitely seemed more stressed than the personality on TV.
Kadri Adamson: Same as Uuspõld, was keeping a low profile that day.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I live in a flyover state so the only celebrity I can recall meeting is Dez Bryant at an autograph signing. He got up, walked around the table and took a picture with each person in line even though the person in charge of the event said they didn't have time for pictures. Came across like a nice enough dude.

Nephtis

I live in a flyover state so the only celebrity I can recall meeting is Dez Bryant at an autograph signing. He got up, walked around the table and took a picture with each person in line even though the person in charge of the event said they didn't have time for pictures. Came across like a nice enough dude.

Probably did it just to spite the person in charge, haha

Thunderbolt

Neo Member
Speaking of another intense UK actor who was a bit of a disappointment. Paddy Considine

Who did the absolute no no for a famous person AKA the 'do you know who I am' talk to front of house security staff.

I've met him twice and each time he was lousy. Shame as I did like his work. But it's hard to separate once you know someone is a bit of an ass to 'normal' people.

Ha! I used to work in a supermarket a couple of years ago before I started university, and Paddy came up to me and asked me a question. I recognised him and didn't say anything, but he seemed quite pleasant. I actually went and told an older, female colleague of mine: "hey, I just saw Paddy Considine!". Funnily enough she said the same thing you did - I don't remember exactly but he got a bit annoyed at someone and came out with the same "do you know who I am" line.

AHA-Lambda

Oh, forgot one, Hideo Kojima cut in front of me whilst leaving a developer talk at a game convention, thought it was a wee bit dickish, but the guy was practically running out of the door so he didn't get swarmed by fans.

And last, I met the snooker player John Higgins once whilst I was working in a bar during my uni days. Guy wanted cheap drinks (place had a member's discount, he wasn't a member) just cause, I said no. Of course he then pulled out the, "don't you know who I am?" card and cos I know absolutely zilch about sport I said "not a clue". He was so pissed off XD

I am a super fan of some relatively obscure bands and other music related folks, I have met a few of them but generally just say hi and maybe get a photo if its not too much hassle.

I met Kris Roe from the Ataris once and he was a bit of tit, totally put me off his band, luckily they became quite shite afterwards.

Anyway I try not to meet my musical heroes because I have nothing to say to them other than that I really love their music and I am sure they have heard that plenty of times.

StayDead

My Dad and I went to a Star Trek convention in London a few years ago with all the captains at it. I didn't get to meet him, but my Dad was severely disappointed meeting William Shatner as he didn't say a word to him what so ever, just signed the photo and didn't even look at the people who came to meet him.

He did get to meet Avery Brooks who he said was reallly nice to him and Kate Mulgrew was apparently really friendly too. I got to meet the last two and they were great. Scott Bakula was the sort of person you'd think you'd been friends with your entire life and the aura Sir Patrick gave off was in incredible. Patrick Stewart is one of my favourite actors and to be able to speak to him and meet him in person was amazing.

I've been to a few Star Wars conventions and met a load of actors from there too and most of them are genuinly really nice. I think the most friendly actors I met were Anthony Daniels (C3PO), Warwick Davis (atleast I think I met him), Ray Park and IIRC I met Peter Mayhew and he was really cool. The only person I've ever been genuinly dissapointed meeting was the actor who plays Lando as he didn't seem very friendly and looked like he just wanted to get out of there as quickly as he could.

Z..

These are human beings we're talking about. You're the assholes for even holding someone who you do not know at all to any expectations. Who the fuck am I to pass judgement on anyone for their personality when I can't even begin to understand or imagine what it is like to walk in their shoes?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Who the fuck am I to pass judgement on anyone for their personality when I can't even begin to understand or imagine what it is like to walk in their shoes?

These are human beings we're talking about. I'm pretty sure they wear normal shoes just like the rest of us.

Dabanton

I am a super fan of some relatively obscure bands and other music related folks, I have met a few of them but generally just say hi and maybe get a photo if its not too much hassle.

I met Kris Roe from the Ataris once and he was a bit of tit, totally put me off his band, luckily they became quite shite afterwards.

Anyway I try not to meet my musical heroes because I have nothing to say to them other than that I really love their music and I am sure they have heard that plenty of times.

Yeah they must. I once saw Thom Yorke in Soho. He must have been coming from a meeting round there. I never usually do this but this was just after the Eraser came out and I was really feeling that album. So I told him I loved 'The Eraser' album. And he gave me the thumbs up and a smile.

Jindrax

These are human beings we're talking about. You're the assholes for even holding someone who you do not know at all to any expectations. Who the fuck am I to pass judgement on anyone for their personality when I can't even begin to understand or imagine what it is like to walk in their shoes?

Because you shouldn't be a dick? Period?
Doesn't matter if you're a hobo or president, just be nice it's not hard.

DOWN

Banned
Met Bethenny Frankel in the store I work in and was disappointed in myself for being starstruck

glaurung

Met a local (immensely popular) writer.

Turned out to be a relatively annoying douche-bag alcoholic. His books are still ace though.

Z..

Because you shouldn't be a dick? Period?
Doesn't matter if you're a hobo or president, just be nice it's not hard.

What the fuck does one's personality have to do with his career? Is bjork suddenly a bad musician because she's a disgusting human being? Is Blue is the warmest colour any less of a masterpiece because Abdellatif Kechiche is a prick? Hell no, it's completely unrelated and we don't get a say in ANYONE's disposition.

Grow the fuck up, these people owe you nothing and vice versa.

I've met a ton of celebrities at my job and I didn't let the fact that they weren't nice influence my opinion of them as professionals. Yeah, Tim Burton and Rowan Atkinson are asses... so what? They're great at what they do. And Jude Law being a sweetheart doesn't make him any better of an actor.

Expecting something out of someone who's life you have no role in qualifies as both absurd and self-entitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom