• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planned Parenthood exec, fetal body parts subject of controversial video

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

Much better unedited video

Video has launched talks in multiple potential Congressional investigations

Mod edit:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/15/health/planned-parenthood-undercover-video/
An anti-abortion group has released an online video that it says documents how Planned Parenthood is selling fetal organs for a profit, a felony, while violating medical ethics by altering normal abortion procedures so as to preserve the organs.

Planned Parenthood has countered that it donates the tissue for scientific research and receives only reimbursement for its expenses, which is legal. The group also says it helps people donate tissue "with full, appropriate consent from patients and under the highest ethical and legal standards," according to a statement from spokesman Eric Ferrero.

Later, Ferrero issued another statement saying, "These outrageous claims are flat-out untrue, but that doesn't matter to politicians with a longstanding political agenda to ban abortion and defund Planned Parenthood. Women and families who make the decision to donate fetal tissue for lifesaving scientific research should be honored, not attacked and demeaned."

The group leveling the accusation, the Irvine, California-based Center for Medical Progress, says it shot the video a year ago at a California restaurant. On it, two people purporting to be with a human biologics company speak with a Planned Parenthood doctor over what appears to be a lunch meeting. The Center for Medical Progress says the pair, who are off-camera and never seen, are paid actors.

grumble

Sounds a lot like the person was giving instructions around the costs of transport etc of donated fetal tissue for medical research, which is legal. There is no economy around illegally acquired fetal tissue, the organization is highly scrutinized and any transaction would be in total quite involved and complex, and the video is edited to mislead.

One one hand, its just body parts. On the other, what dumbfuck thought it was a good idea to share them without consent?

They don't. They have to get consent before any tissue donation, and can only be reimbursed for the costs of shipping the tissue.

This issue comes up every few years with some anti-abortion group to make it sound like there is some black market sales of tissue going on, which is pretty far from the truth.

NewFresh

Seems from the get go to be edited to serve a purpose. Also, the difference between the video claiming body parts and the woman saying tissue is prety evident.

Seems like another attempt to drum up the support to defund PP. If they are illegally selling the parts they deserve to be punished but this seems like an appeal to emotion because the process of getting the parts are hard to hear.

Also any research organization wouldn't risk there work on dumb shit like this

The Planned Parenthood lady is clearly stating lungs and other organs though.

Just because a person is pro choice you shouldn't believe PP is some holy establishment. I believe the video was edited to make it seem more diabolical than it was but there is surely some unethical things going on here.

Just because a person is pro choice you shouldn't believe PP is some holy establishment. I believe the video was edited to make it seem more diabolical than it was but there is surely some unethical things going on here.

You do realize organs are tissue right? The only thing that would be illegal would be PP profiting from it or doing it without consent.

Taking consideration for fetus out of the discussion.

I wouldn't be happy if I was a woman getting an abortion, and the doctor had an incentive to remove the fetus in tact and was altering the procedure to do so.

They don't. They have to get consent before any tissue donation, and can only be reimbursed for the costs of shipping the tissue.

This issue comes up every few years with some anti-abortion group to make it sound like there is some black market sales of tissue going on, which is pretty far from the truth.
Ah I see. Well that's good, then. Sorry for my comments.

Final follow-up. Does PP specify what tissue is? Like explain it includes organs, etc?

neoanarch

There isn't anything nefarious going on in this video. Besides the conservative group scaremongering.

RPGamer92

Banned
SMH at the Twitter blow-up on this. Just looking up at the Center for Medical Progress on Google gives very little about anything not related to this.

Enron

Banned
i am fairly pro-life but even i don't care about this. aborted fetuses treated like research material? maybe something good will come of it.

johnny956

clearly made to seem like they're selling them but if you watch the full video it's clear the lady is talking about covering the costs associated with transportation and such which is why it varies because its not for profit. Everyone has an agenda and seeing this on my facebook feed is just confirmation bias for those against abortion

The only thing that makes me uneasy about this is changing the procedure to increase yield. Is this discussed with the patient? Are there increased risks? I assume all patients have signed off and are aware of what is happening. If not that is fucked up.

sn00zer

The only thing that makes me uneasy about this is changing the procedure to increase yield. Is this discussed with the patient? Are there increased risks? I assume all patients have signed off and are aware of what is happening. If not that is fucked up.

Questions tha tpopped up in my head:
Did the patient know the fetus was being used in research?
Did they know this results in a change of procedure?
Are the costs of organs at zero profit?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I don't know much about the fetal organ harvesting game, but I'm willing to bet somewhere along the chain Capital is benefitting from this.

Rajack

There isn't anything nefarious going on in this video. Besides the conservative group scaremongering.

There's plenty things going on in this video that's nefarious, just not anything related to the practice of donating fetal tissue. The whole video is another attempt by the Christian Right Wing to send us back to the dark ages.

neoanarch

There's plenty things going on in this video that's nefarious, just not anything related to the practice of donating fetal tissue. The whole video is another attempt by the Christian Right Wing to send us back to the dark ages.

Yeah... that is what I said.

Aurongel

Watch the full length video, the shortened video they uploaded is condensed and selectively edited in a way to make it sounds like PP (a basically zero profit organization) is selling baby organs. They're actually discussing being reimbursed for the shipping costs of donated tissue to researchers. A standard occurrence across the entire medical field.

But hey, whatever makes it sound like the liberal government is selling harvested baby organs, right? Clickbait gonna clickbait.

So Republican senators have picked this up and Rand Paul has vowed to defund Planned Parenthood by next week. This is crazy right?

Guileless

I don't know much about the fetal organ harvesting game, but I'm willing to bet somewhere along the chain Capital is benefitting from this.

Body-Parts.jpg

Financial-Profits-Baby-Organs1.jpg

Screencaps via Federalist and American Conservative. The sites are no longer up, as you might imagine.

Body-Parts.jpg

Financial-Profits-Baby-Organs1.jpg

Screencaps via Federalist and American Conservative. The sites are no longer up, as you might imagine.

And this has what to do with Planned Parenthood?

Yep. Here is a relevant article that claims Republicans knew about this video weeks ago and a senator says he's trying to get another "scalp" in addition to ACORN.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/why-congressman-would-say-interview-didnt-happen

Edit: They just have no shame about fabricating controversies against things they don't like. I don't get how so many people fall for this.

Just type CNN Planned Parenthood and see how they are absolutely fine with reporting the "controversy" even if it's lies.

And then look up right wing sites who say that CNN has been unfairly reporting it in favour of PP.

That's all you need to know.

Guileless

And this has what to do with Planned Parenthood?

The video was taken with a Planned Parenthood exec named Deborah Nucotola who thought she was with buyers from a human biologics company. She tells the prospective buyers, "[w]e’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part. I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.

“I’d say a lot of people want liver. And for that reason, most providers will do this case under ultrasound guidance, so they’ll know where they’re putting their forceps.”

So Planned Parenthood conscously "crushes" fetuses in a way that allows for greater human organ harvesting, which are then re-sold farther down the line by companies like Stem Express. You can get 25% off your first order of at least $1,000. Stem Express also promises "Financial Profits" from clinics who partner with them to sell the "raw materials usually discarded during obstetric procedures."

dramatis

The video was taken with a Planned Parenthood exec named Deborah Nucotola who thought she was with buyers from a human biologics company. She tells the prospective buyers, "[w]e’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part. I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.

“I’d say a lot of people want liver. And for that reason, most providers will do this case under ultrasound guidance, so they’ll know where they’re putting their forceps."

So Planned Parenthood conscously "crushes" fetuses in a way that allows for greater human organ harvesting, which are then re-sold farther down the line by companies like Stem Express. You can get 25% off your first order of at least $1,000. Stem Express also promises "Financial Profits" from clinics who partner with them to sell the "raw materials usually discarded during obstetric procedures."
That's nice, did you read the full 60 page transcript (or watch the two hour video) or just take the 9 min edited video and run with the fear mongering?

Deborah Nucatola goes in depth about the consent, about the difficulties of making all of this work, about how PP tries to just break even and not profit from fetal tissue, and significant details about all steps of the process. Fetal tissues have been researched since decades ago; polio vaccine and treatments for Parkinson's are results of it. You're basically complaining about the ethics of organ donation from a corpse. Because you know, fetal tissue is sacred compared to living people suffering from terrible diseases.

Did you think abortion was going to have the fetus slide out nice and easy? If the forceps are going to have to be used to get a fetus out, is it not better for the forceps to be applied in places where the useful tissue isn't? If Planned Parenthood doesn't "consciously crush fetuses" in a way to avoid damaging organs, are they supposed to damage the actual organs? Are they supposed to "crush" the head and pull the fetus out?

And what does Stem Express have to do with Planned Parenthood? Is that what the edited video and the full video discuss? Stem Express is never mentioned in the whole conversation. If you're trying to link Stem Express and Planned Parenthood, where's the link? Where does Planned Parenthood "sell" fetal tissue to Stem Express? Is it Planned Parenthood's fault if they provide fetal tissue to a buyer under the belief that it is being used for research and then the product is used by the company for profit purposes?

It's good that you can parrot the marketing of Stem Express so well though. Are you advertising for them?

Wilsongt

That's nice, did you read the full 60 page transcript (or watch the two hour video) or just take the 9 min edited video and run with the fear mongering?

Deborah Nucatola goes in depth about the consent, about the difficulties of making all of this work, about how PP tries to just break even and not profit from fetal tissue, and significant details about all steps of the process. Fetal tissues have been researched since decades ago; polio vaccine and treatments for Parkinson's are results of it. You're basically complaining about the ethics of organ donation from a corpse. Because you know, fetal tissue is sacred compared to living people suffering from terrible diseases.

Did you think abortion was going to have the fetus slide out nice and easy? If the forceps are going to have to be used to get a fetus out, is it not better for the forceps to be applied in places where the useful tissue isn't? If Planned Parenthood doesn't "consciously crush fetuses" in a way to avoid damaging organs, are they supposed to damage the actual organs? Are they supposed to "crush" the head and pull the fetus out?

And what does Stem Express have to do with Planned Parenthood? Is that what the edited video and the full video discuss? Stem Express is never mentioned in the whole conversation. If you're trying to link Stem Express and Planned Parenthood, where's the link? Where does Planned Parenthood "sell" fetal tissue to Stem Express? Is it Planned Parenthood's fault if they provide fetal tissue to a buyer under the belief that it is being used for research and then the product is used by the company for profit purposes?

It's good that you can parrot the marketing of Stem Express so well though. Are you advertising for them?

drama: Crushing fools in FF14; Crushing Fools elsewhere.

JABEE

One one hand, its just body parts. On the other, what dumbfuck thought it was a good idea to share them without consent?

What? Fetal tissue donations aren't an issue. They exist. Selling it on the black market is fucked up.

Shipping costs are completely different issue. That would make sense.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Ether...Pure ether. Badass post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom