• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More hints that AMD is building Nintendo NX’s processor (VentureBeat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo rereleases stuff all the time. Most obvious would be the "new play control" line of remasters on Wii of gamecube games. Let's not pretend they are above dooing it, shall we?

I'm not really pretending anything, they've released one remaster on Wii U and the system is backward compatible. That's certainly better than the alternative of a non-backward compatible system and a dozen games I already own filling their release schedule.

But honestly in this case I'm more against remasters than for backward compatibility which is a reversal of my typical opinion, unless a console NX were backward compatible with both Wii and Wii U (which would be nice!). Otherwise I'd end up keeping the Wii U around anyway for Wii compatibility anyway.

morikaze

Banned
Since we know there will be multiple NX devices, I wonder if they can include Wii U BC in some models for those who want it. Or possibly the first gen NX devices will, to ween folks in, but the second gen won't.

I like that idea. Just like PS3 and will help bring down costs quickly.

Iwata has said that he was looking for future hardware to absorb the wii u architecture. Of course i am paraphrasing and i just remember reading it and have no sources. Powerpc will not be forgotten
Edit: okay anihawk has the excerpt of what i read in the middle of the third page

Iwata has said that he was looking for future hardware to absorb the wii u architecture. Of course i am paraphrasing and i just remember reading it and have no sources. Powerpc will not be forgotten

Development architecture they have established with the Wii U. He never mentioned hardware.

Probably going to be a 16 or 14nm FF+ process with GCN 1.2 graphics. Should be a good design, but I'm really annoyed that they said they wouldn't compete with PS4, like how can you not make a $399 box in 2016 that outperforms the 2013 PS4.

Renekton

Probably going to be a 16 or 14nm FF+ process with GCN 1.2 graphics. Should be a good design, but I'm really annoyed that they said they wouldn't compete with PS4, like how can you not make a $399 box in 2016 that outperforms the 2013 PS4.
14nm is likely still reserved for higher-margin top-end devices, and Nintendo is known for choosing an older process.

atbigelow

Nintendo is almost assuredly not making a $399 box. They know their price point for the Wii U was way too high and it hurt them badly.

We don't know what the performance target is for this thing.

n0razi

time to skip BC and stop making that shit a priority. most sane people keep their old systems.

but if they can add BC in the future like MS is doing with X1 and 360, that's cool too

not gonna hold my breath.. they still have problems emulating GBA on the 3DS and VC on the WIi U is a mess

Josh7289

That thing's not going to be backward compatible with Wii U. This is my own speculation, but I'd be shocked to see any kind of non-emulated BC on NX.

If they're really silly enough to go with PowerPC again, they're ensuring that UE4 will never support NX. I really hope they're not that stupid.

Make it ARM or x86, or don't bother releasing a console at all.

Madao

not gonna hold my breath.. they still have problems emulating GBA on the 3DS and VC on the WIi U is a mess

3DS runs GBA games natively since it lacks the power for real emulation and Wii U VC's mess is in the software side.
those 2 things would be non-issues next gen if they do their job properly (i'm guessing they halfassed Wii U VC because very few people were buying those games)

Zekes!

I certainly hope they don't ditch BC. I take advantage of that shit hard. To this day I'm disappointed that Sony dropped PS2 BC from the PS3. My PS2 is packed away, but there's definitely games I would like to throw in and play again. I actually play PS1 games on my PS3 every once and a while.

I certainly hope they don't ditch BC. I take advantage of that shit hard. To this day I'm disappointed that Sony dropped PS2 BC from the PS3. My PS2 is packed away, but there's definitely games I would like to throw in and play again. I actually play PS1 games on my PS3 every once and a while.
Im surprised your thermal paste hasnt crisped up like a turd on a sidewalk by now

That sounds like speculation from the writer of the article and not official confirmation. But then again, what do I know? Maybe they are trying to work on some sort of PPC emulation?

Don't really know much about this stuff, but who made Nintendo's past processors?

IBM, they developed the CPU's for the NIntendo GameCube, Wii and Wii-U. All three CPU's use IBM's PowerPC architecture and are all based on the same CPU core, which allows for the Wii-U and Wii hardware backwards compatibility.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
3DS runs GBA games natively since it lacks the power for real emulation and Wii U VC's mess is in the software side.
those 2 things would be non-issues next gen if they do their job properly (i'm guessing they halfassed Wii U VC because very few people were buying those games)

I can't help but feel like it's Nintendo's own fault the VC isn't reaching it's potential. Between the drip feed release schedule and the upgrade fee on Wii U, it's not hard to see why people aren't enthused about VC as a platform.

StevieP

Banned
Nintendo is almost assuredly not making a $399 box. They know their price point for the Wii U was way too high and it hurt them badly.

To get the performance target of a ps4, it will cost.... The same (if not more) as a bloody ps4 to make. That statement is true this year, and it's still basically true next year considering 16ff isn't ready for mass production.

The folks that say they should be easily eclipsing the competition should keep in mind that Nintendo doesnt have some kind of magic chips that perform much better and cost much less than the competition equivalent, because we are talking the same node process.

Roo

Wii U was expensive because of the gamepad
I don't think we'll se a gamepad-like expense for the next console.
Hopefully they're smart enough to spend that money elsewhere.
Heck, use it to add a 500GB-1TB HD and call it a day.

LewieP

If they do have Wii U BC, the smart thing to do would be to ship the console without a Gamepad, allow people to use their old Gamepad for BC, but also sell a standalone Gamepad (either the exact same one or a revised one) bundled with eShop codes for a couple of Wii U games.

Then the NX should support the Gamepad but primarily for of screen play and maybe a handful of optional features in games developed by Nintendo.

atbigelow

To get the performance target of a ps4, it will cost.... The same (if not more) as a bloody ps4 to make. That statement is true this year, and it's still basically true next year considering 16ff isn't ready for mass production.

The folks that say they should be easily eclipsing the competition should keep in mind that Nintendo doesnt have some kind of magic chips that perform much better and cost much less than the competition equivalent, because we are talking the same node process.
Yeah I wasn't saying it would hit PS4 levels. Just that we don't know what they are targeting. Nintendo having some kind of magic sauce is ridiculous, of course.

Have we ever seen an actual list of component costs for the Wii U? I'm not saying the gamepad couldn't have been pricey. But I'm not so sure it would knock an immediate $100 off the system. And even with that, removing the gamepad would alter the hardware as well.

KingJ2002

I can see Nintendo selling the Gamepad as a separate accessory... keep it out of the box since most WIi U titles don't require it's functionality.

but I agree with some of the earlier comments... the virtual console is a big selling point for Nintendo. Being able to play NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii & Wii U titles in addition to NX titles will not only be a huge selling point but it also bring in a large amount of revenue for first and third parties that wish to hold their titles there.

My big thing with this Nintendo NX is that i hope it's able to deliver comparable graphics. It doesn't have to be the best... but it must be in the same realm of the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 if they're looking for real third party support. Anything less and it could wind up as another disappointment and nintendo can't afford to lose the mindshare of the public.

Josh7289

If they do have Wii U BC, the smart thing to do would be to ship the console without a Gamepad, allow people to use their old Gamepad for BC, but also sell a standalone Gamepad (either the exact same one or a revised one) bundled with eShop codes for a couple of Wii U games.

Then the NX should support the Gamepad but primarily for of screen play and maybe a handful of optional features in games developed by Nintendo.

If the GamePad is sold separately, hardly anyone will buy it.

But everyone will have to pay for the extra PowerPC hardware in the NX regardless.

And of course, if the GamePad is bundled with the NX, the system will be too expensive, just as the Wii U is.

So it doesn't make any sense to include PowerPC hardware in any case, so as I said before I'd be shocked to see it or non-emulation BC of any kind present in NX. The costs are too high and the benefit too small.

OmegaDL50

Hope it doesn't so they put it on fucking Steam for once maybe.

What would prevent a Steam version of Monster Hunter from existing if an NX version exists?

It's entirely up to Capcom anyways. It's not like Nintendo owns the franchise.

linkboy

I don't want BC because that means the Gamepad will stick around.

Nintendo needs to ditch that money sink of a controller and just go with the Pro U controller.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Backwards compatibility is so damn overrated... Come on Nintendo, be business-smart and just make remasters of great games like everybody else. Almost nobody will care about the remaining games enough to approve another potentially compromised system architecture.

Yes, please.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want BC because that means the Gamepad will stick around.

Nintendo needs to ditch that money sink of a controller and just go with the Pro U controller.

I fully expect the technology from the gamepad to stick around, even if the gamepad itself doesn't. Assuming they release another portable and home console form factor, I assume it will be built in to each of them so as long as you are in range you have seamless remote play like the gamepad offers, and games may offer extra, optional functionality if it's available.

LewieP

If the GamePad is sold separately, hardly anyone will buy it.

But everyone will have to pay for the extra PowerPC hardware in the NX regardless.

And of course, if the GamePad is bundled with the NX, the system will be too expensive, just as the Wii U is.

So it doesn't make any sense to include PowerPC hardware in any case, so as I said before I'd be shocked to see it or non-emulation BC of any kind present in NX. The costs are too high and the benefit too small.

Yes I'd say backwards compatibility would be a poor choice if it requires increasing hardware costs significantly or compromised the hardware in other ways. If AMD can come up with a solution that bypasses (significant) increased costs or compromising performance then it is a good idea.

There are (clearly) a large number of fans of Nintendo games who didn't buy a Wii U. Bringing that library of games across to a new home console would clearly be attractive to many potential customers.

The majority of Wii U games do not require a Gamepad, so in the scenario I outlined many people would still benefit from Wii U BC without also owning a Gamepad.

btrboyev

I think Wii emulation will be impossible with some weak-ass APU. You need a strong CPU to get Dolphin running properly on PC. Nevermind a Wii U. They should just forget about Wii/Wii U BC to be honest.

And if it's a portable hybrid, fucking forget about a second screen too. Nothing but trash.

A weak ass apu does 360 emulation in the One.

Pokemaniac

Has Nintendo even said if they want BC?

They've not explicitly said anything. However, the comments about NX "absorbing Wii U's architecture" can be read to imply that they want it, and including BC would generally align with their philosophy of moving to account based relationships with their customers that they've been talking about for NX/future hardware in general. One of the big things about account based platforms is that you can bring your content forward to new hardware.

When you also consider Nintendo's past with BC (they even considered having the SNES be BC with the NES during it's development), NX having Wii U/3DS BC seems basically guaranteed.

Josh7289

Yes I'd say backwards compatibility would be a poor choice if it requires increasing hardware costs significantly or compromised the hardware in other ways. If AMD can come up with a solution that bypasses (significant) increased costs or compromising performance then it is a good idea.

There are (clearly) a large number of fans of Nintendo games who didn't buy a Wii U. Bringing that library of games across to a new home console would clearly be attractive to many potential customers.

The majority of Wii U games do not require a Gamepad, so in the scenario I outlined many people would still benefit from Wii U BC without also owning a Gamepad.

I agree that if it were very cheap, it might not be a bad idea to add that BC.

But the problem would still be the GamePad. It's the standard controller on Wii U, so first, for the people who don't want to buy it for their new NX, Nintendo will have to explain, "okay, these Wii U games will work with your NX, but not these ones". It's a confusing message. "Backwards compatible with Wii U!* *Well, sorta, mostly, I guess". I think if Nintendo clearly understands everything that went wrong with Wii U, they'll avoid any confusing messages at all with NX.

My other point is that, if the GamePad is instead required for some hypothetical Wii U backward compatibility, and it's sold separately, people just won't buy it. I presume it'll be at least $80 because of the hardware inside it. If you ask people to buy a brand new ~$200 NX + a $80~100 GamePad + old Wii U games, they're going to balk. At that point, Nintendo might as well skip the BC entirely and just make a new Mario Kart, a new 3D Mario, etc. As long as they designed their Wii U engine(s) and created their assets properly, they might not even have to do too much work compared to what they presumably had to do to get those kinds games out on Wii U initially.

NX handheld will probably stick to the 2 screens model. NX home and handheld are sharing their library. The gamepad is here to stay. Get used to it folks. ^^

Burai

shitonmychest57

The problem with that is that nobody is going to keep their old gamepad but not the console. A Wii U with no gamepad has zero trade in value.

What Nintendo would end up doing is spending more money on hardware that people either won't want (very few people have money invested in fhe Wii U library) or don't really need (they can't get rid of a Wii U with no gamepad so they'd have to keep the hardware anyway)

I always thought Wii U having BC was pointless anyway. The Wii was so small there was no harm in having it still hooked up in your entertainment system. The same applies here too. Even if the NX is two or three times the size of Wii U you'd still be able to fit both consoles in a smaller footprint than an Xbox One.

Sandfox

The problem with that is that nobody is going to keep their old gamepad but not the console. A Wii U with no gamepad has zero trade in value.

What Nintendo would end up doing is spending more money on hardware that people either won't want (very few people have money invested in fhe Wii U library) or don't really need (they can't get rid of a Wii U with no gamepad so they'd have to keep the hardware anyway)

I always thought Wii U having BC was pointless anyway. The Wii was so small there was no harm in having it still hooked up in your entertainment system. The same applies here too. Even if the NX is two or three times the size of Wii U you'd still be able to fit both consoles in a smaller footprint than an Xbox One.

I think the Wii's lack of HDMI was the bigger issue.

qko

It is very odd to me that they are going the home console route.

What if a super basic upgrade version is sold at $130-$150 without any controllers or wires where you just hook up your Wii U stuff (game pad, hdmi, power block, HDD) and tie your NNID and you are ready to go?

As a Wii U owner, I don't care how impressive the graphical upgrade is, I cannot justify spending over $200 on day one for a Nintendo home console so soon after the Wii U.

Now if there is an option to "upgrade" at $150 and it's near PS4/XBone power. I'm in.

RM8

It is very odd to me that they are going the home console route.

What if a super basic upgrade version is sold at $130-$150 without any controllers or wires where you just hook up your Wii U stuff (game pad, hdmi, power block, HDD) and tie your NNID and you are ready to go?

As a Wii U owner, I don't care how impressive the graphical upgrade is, I cannot justify spending over $200 on day one for a Nintendo home console so soon after the Wii U.

Now if there is an option to "upgrade" at $150 and it's near PS4/XBone power. I'm in.
That's just absurd, lol. $150? That gets you a 3DS, not a PS4.

qko

That's just absurd, lol. $150? That gets you a 3DS, not a PS4.

I know, it's just difficult to justify asking Wii U owners to eat it and spend another $300+ for what essentially was a mistake if it turns out the NX is "just another home console".

Also consider if we are about a year away from the NX possibly being released, why have they not dropped the price on the Wii U?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom