• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Amiibo cards launch 2nd Oct -100 to collect, sold in blind packs of 3

RoadDogg

If they are anything like Nintendo's other card pack efforts (excluding Pokemon TCG) they will have 6 packs in 12 stores across the US that sell out in 3 minutes and never restock. The US will never see a series beyond 1 either.

Ventara

So can one enjoy the game without these cards? Or would it feel empty? I really enjoyed New Leaf, so I preordered this, but I don't want to buy it if a lot of content is locked behind those cards. Though if the card packs are cheap (under $5), I might consider buying some, though it's unlikely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If you get 6 per pack at $3, you'd average $255 (85 packs) to complete the set, or $144 (48 packs) to get 10 specific cards you want. If NoA is doing 6 per pack because they need to be able to bring the pricepoint up, say to $5, then that's $425 and $240. i.e. you'd be saving ~20% versus 3-for-$3, the savings are linear to the increase in value. This is again assuming no duplicates inside a single pack and no rare cards. Changing either makes the cost way higher.

cacildo

I dont need all 100 cards

I just want a few to play Animal Crossing Amiibo Party

I didnt even wanted to play Animal Crossing Amiibo Party when i saw the trailer at E3. But if they sell the 6cards pack for a decent price, i can buy some 3 or 4 packs

Then i can play ACAP with my wife, she loves animal crossing. And she loves Mario Party.

AND i hope the Animal Crossing Amiibo Cards are useful for more games in the future (like i hope regular amiibos get some real use in future games)

Velcro Fly

6 cards per pack in NA would be amazing.

I need to find some of those 9 card sleeves and a binder too.

I need that Hopper amiibo card

I think these cards might unlock the Villager costume on Mario Kart Wii

For that costume, the menu actually says "Scan an Animal Crossing" Amiibo, not being specific to just Villager (and the picture shows Isabelle and Villager).

Which for people who collect MK costumes, this might be the easiest way to get this costume.

Yep, still waiting on Falcon restock.

Vena

So can one enjoy the game without these cards? Or would it feel empty? I really enjoyed New Leaf, so I preordered this, but I don't want to buy it if a lot of content is locked behind those cards. Though if the card packs are cheap (under $5), I might consider buying some, though it's unlikely.

3DS game is full (pending us figuring out if "special" characters need the Amiibo to show), Villagers come randomly for you to make a house for them, and the cards just let you side-step RNG. Possibly some of the old characters like KK will need the Amiibo card or the figure, so like Splatoon.

WiiU game is F2P, but needs 4 Amiibo or, possibly, 4 Special Character cards, to be played.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo beat everyone to the punch. Can't believe we made it to physical IAPs on console games. What a time to be alive
not really

Ansatz

I love seeing the reactions of collectors, it's either everything or nothing, it isn't possible to settle for a few.

I personally can't comment on the value of these until I know what they do in game. If their function is insignificant then yeah they're pretty damn expensive, I mean it's a simple card they print out.

kewlmyc

RIP amiibo collector's wallets. Now it's purely chance to get all of the cards.

If they made an amiibo card for each, pokemon, it's a rap.

Ventara

3DS game is full (pending us figuring out if "special" characters need the Amiibo to show), Villagers come randomly for you to make a house for them, and the cards just let you side-step RNG. Possibly some of the old characters like KK will need the Amiibo card or the figure, so like Splatoon.

WiiU game is F2P, but needs 4 Amiibo or, possibly, 4 Special Character cards, to be played.

Thanks for the info. I'll hang on to my preorder and decide close to launch if I want to jump in.

£20.. Must be a mistake

YsGZPPw.jpg

Got the online and catalogue prices mixed up.

Robin64

I personally can't comment on the value of these until I know what they do in game. If their function is insignificant then yeah they're pretty damn expensive, I mean it's a simple card they print out.

They have NFC chips in, it's not just simple printout.

Elija2

Three cards per pack is really low, especially since every pack will always have one special character. There's only about a dozen special characters so you're guaranteed to get a ton of useless duplicates. The special cards won't even be worth much in resale either since they'll be the most abundant cards.

Karkador

Banned
People are quoting Nintendo press and images from shopping sites wo have been provided by Nintendo.

If the US is getting packs of six that is better, but maybe they'll be $5 to compensate? How does the number of packs change if they are in packs of 6, assuming no doubles per pack is guaranteed?

$1 per card isn't incredibly egregious when it's laced with NFC (whether or not that's worth it to you is another story); so I can see a pack of 6 going for $5.99.

Assuming they'll still do the 1 SP card per pack, you're getting 5 shots at the roulette of regular animals. Considering that you have more of a chance of doubles across two packs than within one pack, it seems easier to collect the cards with 6 per pack.

Josh7289

I don't know. Guaranteed figures are one thing, but randomized cards are a whole separate kind of collectible. I'm not sure how far I want to go down this path.

Ridley327

I wonder if we'll be able to read the cards through the pack.

Take a 3DS to the store...

I think they use a thin piece of foil in the Amiibo figures to prevent that from happening with those, so conventional wisdom would lead me to believe that it wouldn't happen here since booster pack packaging is generally foil, as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Assuming they'll still do the 1 SP card per pack, you're getting 5 shots at the roulette of regular animals. Considering that you have more of a chance of doubles across two packs than within one pack, it seems easier to collect the cards with 6 per pack.

I already gave you the math on that: it's no easier to collect the cards at 6 per pack versus 3 per pack unless there's an economy of scale by making the per-card price lower in 6 per pack than at 3 per pack (say $3-for-3, but $5-for-6). The introduction of rare cards will make it more expensive and the introduction of a chance of doubles will make it more expensive.

At 6-per-pack, with duplicates per pack, a complete set would take you ~174 packs ($1040 at your pricepoint) with no rare cards. If you wanted just 10 cards in specific, with duplicates per pack, a complete set would take ~96 packs ($576 at your pricepoint) with no rare cards.

Karkador

Banned
I dont need all 100 cards

I just want a few to play Animal Crossing Amiibo Party

This is the other thing. Some of the people griping about spending all this money on amiibo cards sound like they feel entitled to own every single card. Restraint is a thing, you know...

I think they use a thin piece of foil in the Amiibo figures to prevent that from happening with those, so conventional wisdom would lead me to believe that it wouldn't happen here since booster pack packaging is generally foil, as well.

Well, then the Target trading aisle and nearby bathroom is going to be a fucking mess of stolen torn open packs.

It's always hilarious when I go into a Target bathroom and find Yu-gi-oh booster pack wrappers shoved in the toilet.

Vena

here's a 25 pack of NFC (blank) cards for $12, and of course that's direct to consumer so far more expensive than Nintendo would be paying in bulk

Bulk color ink, bulk NFC, and bulk paper and plastics (depending on the size and make, and wrapper) will probably put this at ~50%-60% of the price of purchase goes to the price of manufacture.

Its probably around the same %RoI on the figures, of which some are sold at near-loss due to intricacies while others are fully profitable.

Robin64

here's a 25 pack of NFC (blank) cards for $12, and of course that's direct to consumer so far more expensive than Nintendo would be paying in bulk

You know full well that finding the cost of parts isn't really how these things work, or most things out there would be a lot cheaper than they are. Nintendo then need to print, collate, package, distribute, advertise, not to mention cover R&D costs.. Plus a little bit extra for that raw profit.

SerTapTap

This is the other thing. Some of the people griping about spending all this money on amiibo cards sound like they feel entitled to own every single card. Restraint is a thing, you know...

Collection is literally the point of collectable cards

You know full well that finding the cost of parts isn't really how these things work, or the Wii U would be $70. Nintendo then need to print, collate, package, distribute, advertise, not to mention cover R&D costs.. Plus a little bit extra for that raw profit.

The point was NFC is not magic crazy expensive and these cards are not remotely cheap.

They're producing them in insanely low quantities per pack so they can charge a premium--even 6 cards is sad considering it's 100 cards for two, non-TCG game games.

Ridley327

Well, then the Target trading aisle and nearby bathroom is going to be a fucking mess of stolen torn open packs.

It's always hilarious when I go into a Target bathroom and find Yu-gi-oh booster pack wrappers shoved in the toilet.

There's really not a whole lot that Nintendo can do in that regard, since TCGs have always been a high-theft item for big box stores.

Robin64

I already gave you the math on that: it's no easier to collect the cards at 6 per pack versus 3 per pack unless there's an economy of scale by making the per-card price lower in 6 per pack than at 3 per pack (say $3-for-3, but $5-for-6). The introduction of rare cards will make it more expensive and the introduction of a chance of doubles will make it more expensive.

At 6-per-pack, with duplicates per pack, a complete set would take you ~174 packs ($1040 at your pricepoint) with no rare cards. If you wanted just 10 cards in specific, with duplicates per pack, a complete set would take ~96 packs ($576 at your pricepoint) with no rare cards.

It's a little different as you always get 1 special card (of which there are 17) in a pack, regardless of it being a 3 pack or a 6 pack. Those buying 3 packs will begin to get special card dupes a lot sooner than those buying 6 packs.

Bowl0l

This is a chance for everyone to stop buying collectibles. If not, this practice will creep into all of Nintendo games, example: Pokemon.

Am I the only one that thinks this is kind of fun?

As in I don't plan to collect them but maybe getting one or two packs sometimes feels like fun. It's not like MtG where you NEED to have certain cards to be competitive. At least not yet

You know that supply and demand, not the cost of goods, dictate price right?

Ridley327

This is a chance for everyone to stop buying collectibles. If not, this practice will creep into all of Nintendo games, example: Pokemon.

They already did something similar with Pokémon cards back when the eReader was out. No one should be under the illusion that NFC Pokémon cards as being a matter of if.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Okay, so say you want to own a specific 1/4 of the cards with no duplicates within a pack and no rare cards: that's 62 packs on average (192 packs in at least one run of my simulation).

This guy just wants one card, that's pretty restrained:

Need....Rolf...

At 6 cards a pack, you'd only need to buy around 17 packs to get Rolf. Assuming he's not rare. :) So about $100 for a restrained scenario.

Robin64

Am I the only one that thinks this is kind of fun?

As in I don't plan to collect them but maybe getting one or two packs sometimes feels like fun. It's not like MtG where you NEED to have certain cards to be competitive. At least not yet

This is exactly my attitude to the whole thing. I'll pick up a pack or two whenever I have a bit of spare money, so hopefully they're around for a while so I can do that.

Top Bottom