• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game characters who are based from other characters

Renekton

yqRfyYt.jpg

Viper Vanessa

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wasn't Rockman/Megaman greatly inspired by Astro Boy?

I've heard a rumor Mega Man came about because Capcom couldn't get the rights to Astro Boy...but yeah, there's an obvious similarity there.

And of course you have Protoman who's a mix of Racer X and Char Aznable.

Tekken is... not too subtle about it.

tekken_tag_tournament_2_law.jpg
Bruce-lee-workout-diet-routine-cover.jpg

lei-oldd.jpg

lodm-0519.jpg

They completely embrace it, though, attaching tropes and even secondary costumes from their inspirations onto the characters. It's all very lovingly done.

Warcraft's Athras is such a painfully obvious Elric of Melnibogne rip-of. It feels like if some kid decided to make a clone of Elric, only make him even more "badass" in a way that only kids would consider badass

Aside from the white, long hair and cursed sword, I hardly see them having much in common. Elric is brooding and tortured, while Arthas is at first a self-righteous zealot before his turn, then a murderous sadist that thoroughly enjoys killing and defiling everything in his path. They're oddly similar in that their alignment ultimately opposes their culture's, each being a reverse of the other.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wish Jackie Chan is more homaged than Bruce Lee, but I guess his fighting style is too varied.

galvatron

I have to reply simply for the sheer amount of World Heroes love in the OP.

There's tons of them in that series since they're supposed to be fictionalized people throughout history.

The guy bringing the heroes to their fights is Doc Brown presumably inspired by the same character in Back to the Future.

This confused me greatly as a child.

Also:

This similarity is literally the reason I decided to play FF and JRPGs in general when I was 9.
I don't think Chrono was inspired by Gohan, it's just that Akira Toriyama was the designer of both and a lot of his hero characters have similar looks

Not sure if it fits since it's not really a character, but Ten Count from Battle Arena Toshinden 3 is pretty much an exact rip off of Michael Jackson. He even moon walks when backing up and has a hilariously bad voice imitation.

hqdefault.jpg

Lulubop

This confused me greatly as a child.

Also:

This similarity is literally the reason I decided to play FF and JRPGs in general when I was 9.

Huh?

First off that's just Toriyama's style. He's not based on Gohan.
Secondly, Cloud? Wat.

dickroach

latest

inspired by harlequins in general obviously, but I always assumed moreso from this: (not trying to reach. I've never even watched Batman)
latest

SOLDIER

I don't think it's ever been confirmed, or even hinted at, but I would be shocked if:

1989386-cloudsephiroth.jpg

wasn't heavily inspired by:

588218.jpg

The original script even had Sephiroth as the leader of AVALANCHE, making the comparisons even closer.

Here's one I've always liked: Gregory Edgeworth from Ace Attorney is based on Atticus Finch, from To Kill a Mockingbird.

latest

292a62f1ace5a81ce9774c2ce1f29fd0.wix_mp

IIRC, the localization took it a step further and gave him his first name as a homage to Gregory Peck, the actor that portrayed Finch in the film adaptation.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think Baiken from Guilty Gear was supposed to be based on Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin?

Artorias from Dark Souls is another guy based on Guts from Berserk.

retroman

wrestle_war-611x401.png

That guy on the cover from Wrestle War looked a LOT like Hulk Hogan. The box art of the USA/EU versions was different (probably to avoid lawsuits).

Wrestle_War_(video_game).jpg

The in-game look-alike remained unchanged, though.

tumblr_mi2nk80UWg1qd4q8ao1_500.png

031.png

Nintendo has made variations of Mario and Luigi in other games, notably Zelda

Tarin from Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

latest

Talon and Ingo from Ocarina of Time, and their counterparts in Majora's Mask

talon-malon-ingo.png

PSqueak

Banned
Ramon from KOF, Tizoc from Garou and King from Tekken are all tangentially based on Fray Tormenta ("Friar Storm"), the real life wrestler, orphan care taker, and priest who also inspired the movie Nacho Libre. In fact, any wrestler who has "helps orphans" as his back story is based on him.

There is an enemy in Persona 3 that is a shadow version of Hulk Hogan, he seems to be a popular choice for this.

Waku Waku 7 had a character that was a parody of Indiana Jones and another who was a parody of Ryu.

That infamous interviewer from mass effect 3.

Yun= I forget

Yun and his brother were designed to resemble characters from Gundam Wing, i believe.

Top Bottom