• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange and weird buttons on controllers

GavinGT

Banned
The select button on every controller. That button doesn't select shit.

It was used to move the cursor in the menu screen for the original Legend of Zelda. This threw my three year old brain for a fucking loop.

second_quest_menu_comp.png

SerTapTap

What is the very top button on a classic controller. It doesn't do anything in any game ever best I can tell. Is it even a button?

latest

The select button on every controller. That button doesn't select shit.

Glad it got removed from the DS4. Fuck you, select button.

It's a hilarious relic of the absolutely horrific UI design of many arcade/NES titles where on the main menu the d pad and A/B button are useless and you used "select" to move and "start" to start the selected option, because who could possibly use a directional pad to navigate a menu or press A to confirm something?

The DS4 controller makes so much more sense, though "press () Options" on title screens looks a bit silly. Just go to "press any button" at this point

Peltz

The Z button wasn't 'awesome' it was a necessity, it was just a replacement for L. The 3 pronged design of the controller was what was weird, and it showed just how stupid it always was as soon as Sony unveiled the dual shock and Sega brought out the 3d controller, both of which did the same thing without having an awful design that required an extra handle and button.

The Z-Button was named after the z-axis in 3D space. It was used to refer to the fact that you'd most likely be moving along the z-axis if you're using the center prong to control a game on the N64.

Nintendo also chose the name for the c-buttons because they were anticipated to be used to control the camera.

I'm surprised no-one has posted this thing yet:
ISgpezu.jpg

Including the entire keyboard seems a bit excessive. Also, has anyone here ever owned one? I've always wondered if it was a pain in the ass to actually play with since your hands are so far apart....

What is the very top button on a classic controller. It doesn't do anything in any game ever best I can tell. Is it even a button?

latest

It's not a game button. It's mechanical button which opens two holes on the back of Classic Controller so you can snap grips or other accessories:

nyko-classic-controller-grip-20070614041944347-000.jpg

But the result was the worst Nintendo D-pad ever...

Still better than having a bit red button there. At least the up/ down/ left/ right could be used for extra functionality in 3D games, like weapon/ item switching and whatever else.

ISgpezu.jpg

Including the entire keyboard seems a bit excessive. Also, has anyone here ever owned one? I've always wondered if it was a pain in the ass to actually play with since your hands are so far apart....

Were there any Gamecube games that required a keyboard input? The only games that supported online play that I know of were the Phantasy Star Online series.

Someone posted in a thread a while back that the start and select buttons on the 3ds always do the same thing. Every game I've tried this on is true -_-

RoadHazard

Gold Member

latest

It's a hilarious relic of the absolutely horrific UI design of many arcade/NES titles where on the main menu the d pad and A/B button are useless and you used "select" to move and "start" to start the selected option, because who could possibly use a directional pad to navigate a menu or press A to confirm something?

The DS4 controller makes so much more sense, though "press () Options" on title screens looks a bit silly. Just go to "press any button" at this point

While I agree that "press Options to start" is dumb, "press any button to start" wouldn't really work. People would press PS or Share and then be all confused. It should just be "press X to start", which it often is.

komojo

Neo Member
The Select button on the 3DS is for DS compatibility only.

I had a chance to do some programming for a 3DS game a few years ago. In software, it receives the same button index for both buttons. You couldn't program a 3DS game to respond separately to the select button even if you wanted to!

I think the Select button in general is just a holdover from the days of the Atari 2600 when you could select the difficulty with a switch on the front of the console. It reminds me of how game manuals have been replaced with in-game tutorials; it took people a while to realize you don't need a separate physical thing for something that you can just do in software.

Dat Doug button.

I'm tearing up from this, and I don't even know why. LMAO

It's pretty well written.

I still don't understand how anyone can say that the gamecube controller was anything other than a disgusting, hot, mess. I had to hold 3 buttons down, plus the analog stick to NOT shoot someone with a machine gun in Twin Snakes!

Santiako

I had a chance to do some programming for a 3DS game a few years ago. In software, it receives the same button index for both buttons. You couldn't program a 3DS game to respond separately to the select button even if you wanted to!

I think the Select button in general is just a holdover from the days of the Atari 2600 when you could select the difficulty with a switch on the front of the console. It reminds me of how game manuals have been replaced with in-game tutorials; it took people a while to realize you don't need a separate physical thing for something that you can just do in software.

Surprisingly, A Link Between Worlds uses start and select for different functions. As far as I know, it's the only game that does that.

iidesuyo

ISgpezu.jpg

Is this real? No way.

TheYanger

The Z-Button was named after the z-axis in 3D space. It was used to refer to the fact that you'd most likely be moving along the z-axis if you're using the center prong to control a game on the N64.

Nintendo also chose the name for the c-buttons because they were anticipated to be used to control the camera.

What does any of that have to do with anything?

Pinky

Banned
ISgpezu.jpg

And people think the Wii U Gamepad is large and awkward to hold, lol!

ISgpezu.jpg

I have one and only used the keyboard for online PSO. The controls themselves work just like a standard GameCube controller and work in any game. It actually feels like a Wii U game pad with more comfortable shoulder buttons.

Foxix Von

ISgpezu.jpg

It's actually a lot smaller and lighter than it looks and is very comfortable to hold. Due to it's length it actually rests very easily on a lap. Infinitely more comfortable to use than a wii u pad at least, that things a fucking nightmare.

Yes I own one. Basically, it was used exclusively for Phantasy Star Online back in the day.

Elija2

ISgpezu.jpg

I wonder why they included all those extraneous function keys. There's no way PSO uses keys like Ctrl and Tab, right?

You know, now that you mention it, I'm having a hard time thinking of any 3DS games that use the Select button. Someone mentioned ALBW, and I feel like Monster Hunter does too, but that's about it.

iidesuyo

It's actually a lot smaller and lighter than it looks and is very comfortable to hold. Due to it's length it actually rests very easily on a lap. Infinitely more comfortable to use than a wii u pad at least, that things a fucking nightmare.

Yes I own one. Basically, it was used exclusively for Phantasy Star Online back in the day.

Who made it? Sega?

Um, no, it isn't. Triggers are important now because they offer the correct shape to allow you grip due to their analog functionality. The Z button was a button. It's entire existence was just so that you didn't lose a functional button when you played with the analog stick, and the only reason you're considering it trigger-like at all is ebcause the third pontoon was literally slapped on like a mutant third leg and it HAD to be in that shape. The button itself isn't concave like real triggers, nor does it have any analog functionality/play to the pull distance.
It is how desgin works, you take a decision that may end affecting others. Even asuming the center handle was the reason for the Z TRIGGER to exist it doesn't change much: It is a digital trigger. What defines it as a trigger is the button's orientation and your index rested exactly on top of it in a perpendicular fashion, not a paralel one like a shoulder button.

It is an arbitrary requirement on your part to declare that a gamepad button needs to be a analog to be considered a trigger. It is quite ironic since most of the times even today, the trigger ends up working as a digital button. The most popular genre now (shooters) use it as a digital input in the majority of cases. Also regarding the concave form factor as a mandate, after the N64, when Sony started implementing triggers themselves they used convex ones (not to everyones liking), but those are still considered triggers due to their form factor.

Triggers go rather well with a wand like grip design, like the one the N64 introduced and that continued with the Wii. One of the really great things for the "feelback" of shooting games on the N64 was that the part that controlled the aiming and shooting (the center handle) felt like having a weapon in your hand. The rumble pak enhanced the sensation further. Basically your hand was gripping someting that to your index finger felt like resting over a trigger and it even vibrated.

Of course you are dead set on not changing your mind nor im trying to. i just limit myself to explain things as logically as i can.

RedToad64

ISgpezu.jpg

Speedrunners and Smash pros prefer this controller over the regular one because the sticks are more durable and the L & R triggers pop up and down faster.

Speedrunners and Smash pros prefer this controller over the regular one because the sticks are more durable and the L & R triggers pop up and down faster.

We used them in development, also. Raise your hand if you remember how janky the early HIO mailbox implementation was and how little throughput it had. Good times.

Dimmle

$_35.JPG

Another confounding case of the double D-pad. Never played a game that used the right one but I imagine it exists.

Also, off topic, but this controller sucks to hold.

ISgpezu.jpg

Sega took a different approach haha
MTSywbN.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
The MODE function on Genesis controllers. I just know some games I had to hold it and some I didn't.

Some older games would flip out and not respond correctly when played with a 6-button pad; the mode button was a necessary inclusion to let you play those older games with your new controller.

Cyd0nia

Banned
It's not a game button. It's mechanical button which opens two holes on the back of Classic Controller so you can snap grips or other accessories:

nyko-classic-controller-grip-20070614041944347-000.jpg

I wish I'd seen attachments like those sooner, like when I was still playing the original Wii...

The Gamecube button arrangement is one of my favourite ever. My ideal gamepad would basically be a Gamecube pad with four shoulder buttons, two of them analogue. Oh and a better right-stick.

I'm pretty sure select dates all the way back to the 2600, when it was on the console and used to select different game modes. Just one of those things that people do because people did, I guess.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yes, that is correct. Perhaps they should have put the options button on the left side and replace the share button, then put a start button on the right.

I never use the share button anyways, but I suppose some do.

Not only do people use the share button all the time, but the start button serves no function at all in this scenario lol.

spliced

Share & Option buttons on the PS4 controller.

Why...just why? Why make them so stupid, did they conduct years of research to create extremely annoying buttons. Just make normal human buttons not ridiculous nonsense like that.

The Wii U power button is terrible too.

If your idea is flush buttons then go on ahead and flush that idea down the toilet.

Seeing the black and white buttons on the Xbox controller in the OP made me remember something.

I used to have a third party Xbox controller that actually put them in the same spot as the bumpers on the 360 and Xbox One controllers. This was a couple of years before the 360 released.

I remember I'd go to Halo LAN parties that my friend hosted and people would comment on how they liked the placement of those buttons. I can't remember what company made the controller.

Cyd0nia

Banned
I'm pretty sure select dates all the way back to the 2600, when it was on the console and used to select different game modes. Just one of those things that people do because people did, I guess.

It was used that way on a lot of old NES games too. Select would cycle the menu options and Start would start the game.

The mode button on some megadrive 6 button controllers, I never understood fully what it was for as a kid but I believe it was to help with games which may not respond to 6 button controllers, some really early titles, but I never ran into any.

Top Bottom