• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp |OT| I want you inside me on July 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

Saw the ad on Netflix, watched the movie straight after, rather enjoyed it. Will give this a shot.

Elizabeth Banks and Marguerite Moreau :banderas:

So I just watched the movie last night because I was interested in this. Outside of Christopher Meloni I thought it was really bad. Hoping the series is a tad better.

chris121580

Words can't even express my excitement for this. I will be binge watching it all on Friday night. The fiance hasn't seen the movie yet so we're watching that tonight

phanphare

Banned
EW has a nice write up about visiting the set, as well as hints at what we shall see. Such as the origin of the can of mixed veggies. Let's see if my theory is true!

My theory:
H Jon Benjamin's character dies in the series, and Gene is so wracked from guilt that he couldn't save him that he devolves in the mess we see in the film. And he hallucinates that the man he couldn't save is a can of veggies talking to him.

but what about when Gary talks to the can of veggies in the movie?

So I just watched the movie last night because I was interested in this. Outside of Christopher Meloni I thought it was really bad. Hoping the series is a tad better.

watch it again, you might get more of the humor on repeated viewings

phanphare

Banned
He had seen Gene talking to it and was being funny I guess. Remember, we never saw the veggies talk back to Gary.

nah, he wanted the can of veggies to have a talk with Gene which it does later on

the reason we didn't see the can talk back right there was to pace the absurdity of the gag. at that moment you're like "wtf, did he just talk to a can of vegeatables?!?!" and then later in the movie they expand on that.

nah, he wanted the can of veggies to have a talk with Gene which it does later on

the reason we didn't see the can talk back right there was to pace the absurdity of the gag. at that moment you're like "wtf, did he just talk to a can of vegeatables?!?!" and then later in the movie they expand on that.

Oh, I know it would ruin the sight gag. But we don't know if he was legit asking the can of veggies to talk to him, or jokingly asking it because he may have seen Gene talking to the can before and getting right after that.

The truth shall be revealed this weekend.

phanphare

Banned
Oh, I know it would ruin the sight gag. But we don't know if he was legit asking the can of veggies to talk to him, or jokingly asking it because he may have seen Gene talking to the can before and getting right after that.

The truth shall be revealed this weekend.

right you are

When-Gene-Finally-Lets-Himself-Hump-Fridge.gif

LakeEarth

I never heard of the movie until it popped up on Netflix, but I didn't watch it as it didn't interest me based on its description. From it, I thought it was just another camp, coming-of-age drama comedy movie. However, a commercial for the new Netflix series randomly played after watching something, and I had to immediately watch the movie. I had no idea how wacky it was (and all the future famous actors that were in it, other than Paul Rudd).

How does Janeane Garofalo look the same as she did in the '90s? It's good to see her in something again.

Yeah I feel like she never really hit a stride in movies or TV which is a shame I think she's pretty underrated. Really liked her on Larry Sanders. She was in that one turd of a romcom with Uma Thurman, something about dogs in the title? Don't recall a lot of other standouts. Hope she gets a resurgence from this.

Yes, yes. Victim of the quick suggest.

That's too bad. Immorality is a lot easier to attain.

Yeah I feel like she never really hit a stride in movies or TV which is a shame I think she's pretty underrated. Really liked her on Larry Sanders. She was in that one turd of a romcom with Uma Thurman, something about dogs in the title?

Hah, yeah I think that dog movie is the last thing I saw her in. I feel like out of all the '90s actors and comedians, she was the one who attained super saiyan slacker status. I don't think she really cared enough to make it big.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's too bad. Immorality is a lot easier to attain.

Hah, yeah I think that dog movie is the last thing I saw her in. I feel like out of all the '90s actors and comedians, she was the one who attained super saiyan slacker status. I don't think she really cared enough to make it big.

Still sigh that she wasn't the lead in Dogma. I mean... it's one of those 'duh' things in retrospect. Even in her single scene she handles Smith's dialogue far better than most the other actors.

Still sigh that she wasn't the lead in Dogma. I mean... it's one of those 'duh' things in retrospect. Even in her single scene she handles Smith's dialogue far better than most the other actors.

Found an article on a bunch of roles she lost out on or decided not to do. She was Fincher's first pick for Marla Singer in Fight Club o_o I'm trying but it's hard to imagine her in that role, mostly cause Bonham Carter did such a good job and can really only see her as being Marla. Definitely see her as a great fit in the Dogma role though. She was also up for Phoebe in Friends but would have had a goth look. What might have been...

border

Watching the original movie now on Netflix. Whenever there's an actor I don't recognize I keep wondering why he/she didn't make it big.....as if everyone from this movie should have become a star :)

Do the new episodes go up at midnight EST?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just finished watching the movie. Had a lot of great funny and weird stuff to my liking, though I feel there was a good chunk of jokes there that fell flat too no matter how out there they were
(the Skylab thing particularly).
But I guess that's part of novelty/cult factor of it.

Still, looking forward to this tomorrow, especially for that cast.

Also, I need more Andy,
1435849975-whas-paul-rudd.gif

lawnchair

Banned
top ten comedy movie of all time for me. no way in hell the show comes anywhere close IMO. but ill definitely be watching ..

Just finished watching the movie. Had a lot of great funny and weird stuff to my liking, though I feel there was a good chunk of jokes there that fell flat too no matter how out there they were
(the Skylab thing particularly).
But I guess that's part of novelty/cult factor of it.

Still, looking forward to this tomorrow, especially for that cast.

Also, I need more Andy,
1435849975-whas-paul-rudd.gif

It's a movie that gets better with each viewing, just so you can see all the random shit going on that you missed the first time, especially in the background.

And look up the deleted scenes online. Most of them are really great. "EAT THE FUCKING CORN!"

I love the deleted scene that is a callback to Animal House where Donald Sutherland isn't wearing any pants, but this time it is Paul Rudd.
The time when Coop comes and talks to Katie outside of the cabin, if you look in the background you can still see the oddly placed shelf with the sandwich and condiments on it on the outside of the cabin.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I need to watch the movie again. I have only seen it once (and loved it), but if it's an Arrested Development situation where it keeps getting better, I'm in again. Probably will do it after I watch the show.

Bread

Banned
I need to watch the movie again. I have only seen it once (and loved it), but if it's an Arrested Development situation where it keeps getting better, I'm in again. Probably will do it after I watch the show.
what?! how have you only seen it once? it's one of the most rewatchable comedies i've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom