• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal next week

Dragon Quest XI on PS4 and this? What a great time to be a gamer. 2016, 2017 and possibly 2018 is looking extremely promising. Looks like this generation is starting to really pick up steam and be memorable very soon.

Best wishes.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've been waiting for this announcement and now it's finally happened *the feels*. I hope that the music is gonna be as good as in Mafia 2.

i remember reading a rumour about 3 playable characters..i remember their "codenames" being franklin, mickey tony

really similar to michael, franklin and trevor of gta v

Denton

Mafia 1 is a masterpiece, Mafia 2 would be too if not for so much cut content.
I am curious about this one, since most main devs from previous games are at Warhorse. Who wrote this ?

ironcreed

Banned
Nice. Mafia II was great, but it really needed more to do on the side. If they rectify that then I have no doubt that III will be fantastic.

Red Hood

Banned
Somehow didn't like Mafia II as much as I thought I would. It felt... lacking compared to the first one. Can't really put my finger on what it was though.

Nice. Mafia II was great, but it really needed more to do on the side. If they rectify that then I have no doubt that III will be fantastic.

Y'see, I'm totally the opposite. I loved that the Mafia games were linear, story-based games that happened to take place in an open world. I don't want them to go the route of constructing a free-roaming sandbox and peppering it with distractions and activities that are entirely unconnected and can be done in any order you want. There's hundreds of games like that already (most of them from Ubisoft).

Y'see, I'm totally the opposite. I loved that the Mafia games were linear, story-based games that happened to take place in an open world. I don't want them to go the route of constructing a free-roaming sandbox and peppering it with distractions and activities that are entirely unconnected and can be done in any order you want. There's hundreds of games like that already (most of them from Ubisoft).
Exactly. The open world added texture and a sense of place. No need for filler

Sure it could have just been a linear game, where you progress from cutscenes to cutscenes, but the world cemented the atmosphere and tone. You weren't doing isolated missions, you were in this city.

harz-marz

Agreed. I feel stressed when I see my mini map littered with bloated icons!

ironcreed

Banned

I don't know, I just see no point in even having an open world if there is nothing else to do in it. Linear progression is fine, but in an open world with nothing else to do it just feels sterile and hurts a game more than it helps for me. I mean, that is why something like GTA is such a success and is why Mafia II was not as well received.

I don't know, I just see no point in even having an open world if there is nothing else to do in it. Linear progression is fine, but in an open world with nothing else to do it just feels sterile and hurts a game more than it helps for me. I mean, that is why something like GTA is such a success and is why Mafia II was not as well received.
An open world doesn't need anything to do. In Mafia, it was there for world building, atmosphere, a sense of place, beyond the missions.

ironcreed

Banned
An open world doesn't need anything to do. In Mafia, it was there for world building, atmosphere, a sense of place, beyond the missions.

For me it does. I enjoyed the game for the story, but the world was just too sterile. They could easily add more life and side stuff to the game for those that want it and those that don't can still just focus on the main path, while ignoring the rest. It could only help the series by adding this.

Jabba

Banned
American muscle cars, definitely from the 60-70 period.

The third character from the left looks like a proper afro hair lady. This would align the game period more with the sixties. Does the image also mean that we will get multiple protagonists, GTAV style?

Either way, hype-hype-hype!

Could be late 60s early 70s. Some of my aunts were still wearing afros that big in the 70s. Remember in Mafia 2, the protagonist goes to jail for 10 years. Goes in about middle 40s and gets out in he middle 50s.
I kinda remember it because I had small, the world had changed moment when Vito gets out of jail. That's how well done it was.

FUCK YEAAAAAAAAH

i loved mafia 2's campaign, the world itself was nothing special but the presentation and storytelling was top notch. gunplay was great too imo

Lil' bigger, from the official site

bg_1024x768.jpg

Looks like Florida man is gonna swim with the crocs.

If you're going for an open world again, please make it useful this time.

This. I adored II, but the open world was completely and utterly pointless. i don't need a billion things to do and massive amounts of collectables, but I do need something in the game to anchor me and make me feel like having this big open world was a good design choice rather than just window dressing.

Foffy

Banned
Wasn't there a rumor ages ago that Rockstar was involved? Or was that more on hope that Mafira would essentially be GTA in the 1940's?

dex3108

This. I adored II, but the open world was completely and utterly pointless. i don't need a billion things to do and massive amounts of collectables, but I do need something in the game to anchor me and make me feel like having this big open world was a good design choice rather than just window dressing.

Unfortunately 2K/Take Two are to blame for that. As far as i know most of the DLC missions were side activities. But 2K/T2 decided to pull them from main game and sell them as DLC. There was huge amount of cuts before release.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
A game in my town? Fuck yeah.

Need more southern games, northern Louisiana is a scary fucking place and pretty awesome for a crime game.

Unfortunately 2K/Take Two are to blame for that. As far as i know most of the DLC missions were side activities. But 2K/T2 decided to pull them from main game and sell them as DLC. There was huge amount of cuts before release.

Yeah see I never played the DLC so I wouldn't know. Sounds like LA Noire as well. Giant open world, really unique setting, absolutely fuck all to do in it.

Not sure I relate to the main character(s) enough to play it :/

I thought it was easy to relate to the main character (who's name I cannot remember) from the last one. His descent into the world of La Cosa Nostra makes both complete sense and
destroys him and everything he ever loved
by the end of the game.

Superbly done story.

Top Bottom