• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Will Debut New Apple TV In September

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Sources familiar with Apple’s plans tell BuzzFeed News that the company intends to announce its next-generation Apple TV in September, at the same event at which it typically unveils its new iPhones. The device itself is pretty much as we described it to you in March, sources say, but “more polished” after some additional tweaks. Expect a refreshed and slimmer chassis and new innards; Apple’s A8 system on chip; a new remote that sources say has been “drastically improved” by a touch-pad input; an increase in on-board storage; and an improved operating system that will support Siri voice control. Crucially, the new Apple TV will debut alongside a long-awaited App Store and the software development kit developers need to populate it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/apple-will-debut-new-apple-tv-in-september#.mx9KnLYDM

Dalek

This old song and dance.

Any day now.

skeleton%2Bat%2Bdesk%2Bno.%2B1.jpg

Slayven

What makes the suppose Apple TV any different then the hundreds of smart tvs people don't buy?

I am a dumb ass I forgot about the actual Apple TV. Bury me with a g4 cube

Guevara

It’s a significant overhaul of the diminutive set-top box, which hasn’t seen a material refresh since 2012, and one that Apple hopes will inspire a big upgrade cycle through the annual winter holiday consumer binge, setting the stage for the subscription internet-TV service Apple’s been trying to get off the ground for years. While that service is most certainly in the offing, sources tell BuzzFeed News that Apple does not currently plan to announce it alongside the new Apple TV. “Late this year — maybe, but more likely next year,” said one, seconding a June report by Re/code.

What I care about way more. Sony and Sling TV now have their options out. Sony's is just flat out too expensive and too similar to cable. Sling TV seems better but I've never used it.

jelly

It's a set top box. Not a TV.

True but what would make it better than Amazon Fire TV, Google TV, Xbox, Playstation, Smart TV's with access to Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, TV On Demand services etc.

The content offerings are the only game changer and I would be amazed if Apple pulled out some change in the industry with the way they offer stuff already online. A device for pushing your iphone, mac content to the TV is not a great factor for me.

Chozolore

True but what would make it better than Amazon Fire TV, Google TV, Xbox, Playstation, Smart TV's with access to Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, TV On Demand services etc.

The content offerings are the only game changer and I would be amazed if Apple pulled out some change in the industry with the way they offer stuff already online. A device for pushing your iphone, mac content to the TV is not a great factor for me.

Airplay

ReAxion

It's paczkowski.

you know what, I read that, but it went in and out of my head.

Not saying he's wrong, it's likely at this point, but it makes me scratch my head. I guess it should make me scratch my head that he works there at all. And of course there's no way to verify right or wrong. It could be right today and get pushed back between now and then.

Dalek

But as the owner of an Apple TV-none of those competitors offer anything to make me switch either. But it does have Airplay, whereas they do not.

But as the owner of an Apple TV-none of those competitors offer anything to make me switch either. But it does have Airplay, whereas they do not.

Just echoing this. I got apple tv and the alternatives out there aren't that great either and Airplay sorts keeps me leaning apple tv way. But who knows we will see

Kinsella

Banned
After the Apple Music release, I have less than zero faith in Apple to deliver any service of a high quality. The lack of Amazon support also erodes my interest in the box itself. But I'm still interested to see what they do with it. I've stopped buying any new media on Apple's closed system, but I have enough bought in the past that having their device could be worth buying the new one. At the right price.

Super curious about their internet TV subscription. Playstation Vue is interesting in concept but in reality I don't really want it, and SlingTV is more my speed but I wish they had more channels to select from, as well as cloud DVR (do they?)

I want Apple's service to make a good addition to my Netflix+Hulu+Amazon Prime, but it will probably end up being redundant

mcfrank

I am a big fan of Airplay and the Apple TV is my primary media device and this update can not come soon enough. Not a day goes by that my AppleTV 2nd Gen doesn't hard reboot in the middle of a netflix show. Airplay has gotten less reliable over time with it as well. Hopefully this new unit moves it from hobby status to a strong focus for Apple.

number11

All I want is to stream Apple Music/Beats 1 without air playing it. It's kinda ridiculous how they didn't update the Apple TV firmware when the service launched.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I am a big fan of Airplay and the Apple TV is my primary media device and this update can not come soon enough. Not a day goes by that my AppleTV 2nd Gen doesn't hard reboot in the middle of a netflix show. Airplay has gotten less reliable over time with it as well. Hopefully this new unit moves it from hobby status to a strong focus for Apple.
Weird - I have a jailbroken ATV2 (to run Kodi on there - which we honestly hardly use and I wish I could figure out how to remove the jailbreak to update it) and it's been rock solid for years. In fact it's probably the most stable of all our media devices. I wonder if you could restore yours or something, they're one of those devices that don't seem to get bogged down over time, in my experience.

But I agree - it needs to be a stronger focus. AirPlay from these and the Airport Express is what switched our household to all-Apple, and there's lots of potential there.

Chromecast ain't won shit. You cannot use it as a standalone product. It broadcasts another devices content to your TV.

Apple TV has AirPlay and its own channels built into it.
Why does it have to win anyways?
They both offer different solutions.
Chromecast is convenient and AppleTV doesn't require another device.

Besides that, there's also Android TV that offers both anyways.

Already caved and got a fire TV. The old Apple TV and its remote are just so awful I couldn't wait

Maybe I'll get one for my room

Absolutely can't wait for this. I understand it's a niche product, but for me, it's the front-end to my Plex Media Server running on my NAS, only it's tiny, silent, and outputs audio to my soundbar. (I run an Apple TV + Sonos Playbar + other speakers setup, meaning I can Airplay to my Apple TV, and it outputs to the speaker mesh in my living room.)

Provided PlexConnect works on this thing, it's a Day One purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom