• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Sonic CD (and why i think it's overrated)

TedMilk

Yeah... as others have said, the level layouts were terrible and reminded me of fan made remix ROMs.

Everything that made it stand out from the other 16 bit Sonic games made it worse, pretty much.

MrBadger

I think what gave Sonic CD its cult status is how few people actually played it until was re-released on literally everything. It's not as good as S3K and does have kinda messy level design in places, but I really dig the sci-fi aesthetic and the US soundtrack

lazygecko

The focus on more abstract visual design in the level themes is what I like the most about the game. Palmtree Panic looks way better than Green Hill and Emerald Hill.

Having instant transitions between time periods would have helped the flow of the game immensely. Also game design that gives you better motivation to time travel. This is why I think the game flaws are moreso untapped potential that makes it deserving of a sequel.

Oh, and it reuses the Sonic 1 sprite because it was developed concurrently with Sonic 2. Sonic 2 was developed in the US while CD was all Japan.

Mzo

The Sega CD is a 1x drive; Of course those transitions are necessary.

The busy and haphazard level design is the worst part about the game. Combine that with the four objectives that need to be reached every level:

1) find a past sign
2) find an area that allows you to speed up enough to use it
3) find the Metal Sonic projector
4) find the enemy generator

and the game quickly becomes a slog unless you know all the levels inside out.

It's not a bad game but it's my least fave Sonic.

dunno, i always loved this game. the soundtrack and the intro vid played a big part. overall, i didn't play it less than any other sonic game i owned in the 16 bit days.

also got 100% trophies for the rerelease. it was enjoyable once more.

Kinsei

Banned
I think what gave Sonic CD its cult status is how few people actually played it until was re-released on literally everything. It's not as good as S3K and does have kinda messy level design in places, but I really dig the sci-fi aesthetic and the US soundtrack

Yep. Sonic CD was this thing you always heard about but never got to play. I remember finally getting to play it in the Sonic Gems collection and thinking "That's what everyone hyped up?"

Had it been released on the Genesis instead of the CD I doubt the talk about the game would have been as positive as it was back before the game was widely available.

Is it a good game? Yes it is, but it does not compare to Sonic 2 or 3.

Branduil

Yeah I'm not a big fan. I understand it improves with replays, but the other Genesis-era Sonics are still fun even when you don't know the levels. CD not so much.

Also, the boss fights are terrible.

I definitely bought into the "Sonic CD is the best Sonic game" hype around the time Gems Collection was coming out. I could always tell that the level design wasn't entirely there, but I was super into it aesthetically. Great intro animation, 2 excellent soundtracks, and cool visuals. Hell, I'm still really into those parts of it, but it's harder and harder to replay considering how much stronger other Sonic games are level design-wise.

oh and i'm in the camp of you can do anything over sonic boom

Berordn

1) find a past sign

Metal Sonic projector is mostly optional, and you can ignore most of the other objectives by going for the Time Stones instead but you're right that a game so focused on exploration has such wonky level design in general.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The music and graphics are good and the special stages are kinda fun, but that's about it. The level design is a mess, the visual design looks like it was made by someone tripping balls on acid, the bosses suck (except Metal Sonic, love that one) and the time travel mechanic is really just annoying. Sonic 2 this isn't.

Cafeman

I always enjoyed Sonic CD. It was especially sweet back in its day because of the CD-powered Sonic Boom cartoon and song, back in the days of 90's cartridge tunes. Just an extra little nice thing. Racing Metal Sonic was very exciting back when the game debuted. However, I agree with others' opinions that the level designs aren't as satisfying or as Soniccy as the Genny games. I also don't like some of the music present or past, and I hate Wacky Workbench.

The time travel mechanism was designed to offer a new challenge to gamers. In some levels, it is challenging to located and touch a Past sign and to find a place to run or spin fast enough and long enough to activate it (and you lose it if you spin 3/4 of the necessary time then stop!). There are all kinds of neat little nooks & crannies to find rings and enemies. The platforming is more involving than what Sonic has become in either the Advance 2D games or the 3D games.

Also, I discovered that in the first level's Robotnik fight, Sonic starts off at the left of the level map and you run right to eventually fight and easily dispatch of Robotnik. There are exactly 100 rings -- can you get them all (and earn an extra Sonic) without passing the milepost which activates the boss Robotnik fight? I love when Sonic yells "YES!" when he gets a 1-up. That's all the voice Sonic ever needed, IMO. Anyway, what is the point to getting the 100 rings? It's fun. I never figured out if all the robotnik levels had exactly 100 rings you could snag.

Once you beat the game, you then opened up Time Trial mode -- this was something new back then and it was fun to try to simply get to the end as fast as possible.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sonic CD is the only classic Sonic game that I have not beaten, because of the poor level design.

The game wants you to build up speed but the level design aren't built with that in mind and something will always stop your momentum. And don't get me started on Wacky Work bench

On the flip side it gave us Metal Sonic one of the coolest Sonic Rival there is.

Honestly Sonic CD isn't bad but Sonic 2 and 3&Knuckles blow it out of the water.

Daingurse

I like it, love the music and aesthetics especially, but I don't care for level design. I just prefer Sonic 2 and 3&K way more than CD.

OnPoint

I think it was overrated in the late 90s and early 2000s when copies were rare and only owned by the rich kids and Sega diehards who lauded it as the best thing you never played.

But since then I think it's pretty much "rated". The garbage level layouts and rather unintuitive nature of the time travelling mechanic are well discussed at this point.

Bingo. I remember finally tracking down a copy and popping it in.

I was like

FilbMSC.gif

Ferr986

The thing about Sonic is that it's all about momentum. Flow. Not just building up that speed but managing to keep it. The best Sonic games are ones that allow you to race as fast as you can and maintain it through skill and good level design.

Sonic CD has one of that. Every five feet you're running out of road, smacking into an obstacle, hitting a bumper, or being launched into the sky in Wacky freaking Workbench. Sonic CD wants you to speed through the levels but it's just too freaking busy.

and then you have to master three freaking versions of each level.

Argh.

But Sonic CD is the ones that makes you master the momentum the most. It encourages exploring, there's always a faster path, you just need to explore.

Yes, it's not the best game for a first run if you want to "gott go fast" but that doesn't mean the level design is random or kills the flow. On the contrary, is a game that flows better than most without abusing of straightforward paths, You need to master the levels though.

Yep, it's my fav. Sonic game.

Forkball

I couldn't get into this game either. I think the Genesis games are much better in terms of level designs and this title really didn't do anything new. Metal Sonic is cool though.

But Sonic CD is the ones that makes you master the momentum the most. It encourages exploring, there's always a faster path, you just need to explore.

Yes, it's not the best game for a first run if you want to "gott go fast" but that doesn't mean the level design is random or kills the flow. On the contrary, is a game that flows better than most without abusing of straightforward paths, You need to master the levels though.

Yep, it's my fav. Sonic game.

Yep. Sonic 2 and 3 are great games, but I've played through them so many times that going through them at this point it feels like being on autodrive. There's just nothing to them at this point anymore, even if I do get a nostalgia buzz when I play them for a level or two before getting bored. Sonic CD is a lot more exploration and platformer-orented, and I find myself more entertained by that sort of thing. The later Sonic games are certainly more speed-focused, and that's probably what the majority of people want when they want to play a Sonic game. Personally, that novelty wore off a long, long time ago, so I gravitate more towards the early Sonics that involve more skill-based platforming and challenging you to get good at taking advantage of the physics and landscape. I find that sort of gameplay much more interesting, personally.

With it being one of the few decent games to come out for the Sega CD, that I could actually get my hands on, this game gave me both a typical Sonic game (run fast to the end) and an exploration game (get the good future by destroying all the prison cells).

It had plenty of replay value and the music was great (at the time) because of the audio quality.

It hasn't aged well for a modern day audience, but for me it was great long lasting fun that felt like two games in one and that alone will always make it the most memorable Sonic game for me.

EDIT: Same here SonicMegaDrive

I wish they'd make another Sonic title that has the same basic physics and gameplay that the Genesis titles have, but design levels and scenarios that actually challenge you to get good at the game and do something more with the physics, much like Sonic CD does. I think that would go over about as well as a wet fart with a lot of Sonic fans, but I think it would be fun for seasoned players much the same way Super Mario Bros. 2 JP was for fans of those games.

BiggNife

It's a solid game with inconsistent level design. 2 & 3&K are unquestionably better, IMO.

Wacky Workbench, in my opinion, is like a textbook example of how not to do a Sonic level. In a series where momentum is key, here's a level where there's no way to get momentum because you're stopped every five seconds by having to jump over another series of bounce pads.

On the other hand, Stardust Speedway is a ton of fun and is basically the antithesis to WW. So it goes both ways.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I love Sonic CD personally. The surreal art, time travel aspect, and SONIC BOOM make me warm on the inside. Shame about the level design though

Also: US Soundtrack > JP Soundtrack

JackelZXA

I'd say Sonic CD is at least better than Sonic 1. Sonic 1 has really generic "lots of traps" style platformer design, and Sonic CD has a replacement stage for every sonic cd level except for Marble Zone. The HD version of Sonic CD is so amazing though.

It's a solid game with inconsistent level design. 2 & 3&K are unquestionably better, IMO.

Wacky Workbench, in my opinion, is like a textbook example of how not to do a Sonic level. In a series where momentum is key, here's a level where there's no way to get momentum because you're stopped every five seconds by having to jump over another series of bounce pads.

On the other hand, Stardust Speedway is a ton of fun and is basically the antithesis to WW. So it goes both ways.

I feel like "momentum is key" is an over-generalization. Sonic is designed around the idea of speed running. WWZ is pretty bad for that in a general sense, and you kind of have to fight your instincts to get a good route through the stage (not impossible, really)

I love how different CD looks and feels from everything else. I love how vertical the levels are. The world of CD will always be my favorite version of Sonic; and the introduction and ending FMVs really help establish that world and the game itself carries it throughout.

I don't really care for Sonic as much as I did when I was kid, but CD holds a place in my heart still.

ElTopo

Banned
CD is pretty good. Not as great as 2 and 3 & Knuckles but it's better than 1. Great soundtrack and ideas but terrible special stages with no real incentive to beat them (there's no Super Sonic in this). The levels can mostly be beaten by holding right to win on top of that.

Still, it has some great moments like the race with Metal Sonic. Plus a soundtrack that rivals Sonic 3.

8 out of 10 with Sonic 2 getting a 9.5 and 3 & Knuckles getting a 10. Sonic 1 would get a 7.

I've never liked any of the Sonic games, the first one was okay but the speed aspect felt at odds with the platforming. Also I felt as if I'm missing a lot of the level design because I'm expected to be moving at speed at all times. The music has always been good though.

ShowDog

Sonic CD never clicked with me, and I've never enjoyed playing it. I thought the better aspects of the game were vastly overstated by its fans.

Big old-school Sonic fan here, but Sonic CD does nothing for me.

Everything is just...off (especially the music, both versions)

I've never liked any of the Sonic games, the first one was okay but the speed aspect felt at odds with the platforming. Also I felt as if I'm missing a lot of the level design because I'm expected to be moving at speed at all times. The music has always been good though.

Sonic games are best if you go slower and take time to appreciate the level design, IMO. They problem is the game doesn't give you a lot of incentive to do so besides the mere sake of doing it, outside of just collecting rings for the special stages. But if you make it a point to enjoy the games more and not zoom forward constantly, they're far more enjoyable.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I couldn't reliably run fast enough for long enough without hitting something to intentionally time travel. :(

The levels were design the way they were because of time travel. If they just made stages more linear and closer to traditional 2D Sonic stages, the time travel gimmick wouldn't be so pointless as it is easy to gain momentum in any non-CD stage. Because of this, they encouraged exploration by making you find half pipes or double springs to time travel on. Music and bad/good futures also encourage you to save zones from Eggman's robots taking over too.

I mean, they still leave you the freedom to complete the game however you feel is the best, but CD won't be totally enjoyable if you play it the same way you play Sonic 1-3. It's obviously not for everyone, but I still rate it as one of Sonic's better games in his history.

muteki

I've never been able to appreciate the game as much as 1, 2, or 3K. Even Chaotix I still enjoy, which I know is bonkers.

Didn't like the level design in CD and didn't get the point of time travel.

Neff

The game is pretty crap honestly, but it gets a pass for the visuals and JP/EU soundtrack alone.

I think it was overrated in the late 90s and early 2000s when copies were rare and only owned by the rich kids and Sega diehards who lauded it as the best thing you never played.

Oh god yes. The Mega CD prestige was real.

ChaosXVI

It's a damn shame that the artwork is so good, the soundtrack (both of them) feel so unique and original, creating a really dark/weird atmosphere for the game...but most of the level designs are average at best. Even still, I love the bosses and special stages enough for it to still be my 2nd favorite of the classic Sonics, after Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which will most likely never be dethroned.

Sonic Spinball is a great game.
For me to poop on!
The Sega CD is a 1x drive; Of course those transitions are necessary.

The busy and haphazard level design is the worst part about the game. Combine that with the four objectives that need to be reached every level:

1) find a past sign

and the game quickly becomes a slog unless you know all the levels inside out.

It's not a bad game but it's my least fave Sonic.

That laundry list kinda reminds me of Shadow the Hedgehog.

I agree.

I have no idea why going in the past is made as such, but it's a dumb fucking thing.

Probably mentioned in your old thread, but going into the past and finding the animal cells will get you the good ending. You know your on the right track when stage 3 boss takes place in the good future.

Timetravel is as simple as finding a ramp with a loop which is usually located a couple feet from it. Roll into a ball and let it do the work.

Top Bottom