• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider's open spaces 3x larger than TR 2013; no loading screens

Speaking to GamingBolt, Game Director of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Brian Horton has confirmed that the game won’t have any loading screens and it will be seamless experience throughout with the exceptions being player death or if someone decides to quit the game.

“Just like the last Tomb Raider we’ve created a seamless experience. As soon as you start a new game if you never died or don’t quit you will have a seamless streaming experience throughout the whole game. We want to immerse the player into the world as soon as possible and flow from mission to mission in a very seamless way,” Horton said to GamingBolt.
“Besides Lara’s story which is really exciting, we’re really thrilled to talk about the new scale that we have for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Our exploration spaces are 3 times larger than they were in the last game and our tombs are much bigger. And we’re employing what we call “A Nested Puzzle Approach” that means there are multiple puzzles that all work together to solve 1 big puzzle. We also introduced new traversal mechanics, like Lara can climb trees and can swim underwater and can use that not only for traversal but as a way too subtly approach an enemy and take them out from above or from below.”
http://gamingbolt.com/rise-of-the-t...-bigger-than-the-original#L4kgY38LW2IdwhCD.99

I can count on one hand the number of times in my life I've had problems with loading screens, and they're almost all related to games that require constant restarts, like Stuntman.

The no loading screens pitch has always seemed so weird to me.

Sounds awesome. I replayed Tomb Raider 2013 recently and am now pretty excited for this sequel.

I can count on one hand the number of times in my life I've had problems with loading screens, and they're almost all related to games that require constant restarts, like Stuntman.

The no loading screens pitch has always seemed so weird to me.

It helps with immersion. It's a good thing. Jak and Daxter on PS2 is one of the first games where it really stood out to me. Naughty Dog were gods long before Uncharted 2.

hawk2025

I assume three times larger than the larger bits of Tomb Raider?

IIRC, the largest ones were the main area (quite vertical,very fun to explore), the end beach (tons of interesting little bits, a couple of different more linear paths with even more offshoots), Shantytown(pretty bad design), and the Forest(super terrible).

If it's more like the first two and less like the second, I'll absolutely love it. Also very nice to hear about more complex multi-tiered puzzles.

I doubt the game doesn't load when you fast-travel, though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As long as bigger is also designed well. Feeling "lost or missing out" even in places you already been was the main issue for me with the first game.

“Besides Lara’s story which is really exciting, we’re really thrilled to talk about the new scale that we have for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Our exploration spaces are 3 times larger than they were in the last game and our tombs are much bigger. And we’re employing what we call “A Nested Puzzle Approach” that means there are multiple puzzles that all work together to solve 1 big puzzle. We also introduced new traversal mechanics, like Lara can climb trees and can swim underwater and can use that not only for traversal but as a way too subtly approach an enemy and take them out from above or from below.”

c'mon - your tombs couldn't've gotten any smaller without turning into broom closets :) ...

Gren

We also introduced new traversal mechanics, like Lara can climb trees and can swim underwater and can use that not only for traversal but as a way too subtly approach an enemy and take them out from above or from below.”

Wow, I thought they'd only include those functions for combat purposes. Sounds good to me.

dugdug

Banned
In a post-Witcher 3 world, this just kinda makes me shrug. Definitely interested to see more, though.

hawk2025

As long as bigger is also designed well. Feeling "lost or missing out" even in places you already been was the main issue for me with the first game.

If it's not Forest-bad (either of the forests, really, the first or the last one), I think we will be fine. Hopefully the snowy areas are not three times larger than that, but more like the better areas in the game. That would be great!

Gren

Still curious if they wasted time making multiplayer for this.

I hope not. And if they did I'd prefer it be co-op only, like time trials to cooperatively complete puzzles (GoL/ToO style), or survival waves if they're really unimaginative.

There they go again talking about the tombs, but are they really more inline with the original series or just slightly more elaborate than the reboot? My biggest disappointment was their focus on UC-like shooting/stealthing away from the solitude and mystery of interesting ancient places.

hawk2025

There they go again talking about the tombs, but are they really more inline with the original series or just slightly more elaborate than the reboot? My biggest disappointment was their focus on UC-like shooting/stealthing away from the solitude and mystery of interesting ancient places.

Man... remember that intro to Underworld?

Not quite knowing where to go, exploring underwater ruins, finding different bits and pieces, then getting into a massive underwater temple...

I think a replay of Underworld is in order.

dex3108

I don't remember clearly but i think that TR 2013 didn't have loading screens they just connected hubs with narrow corridors that they used to hide loading screens?

I'm so excited for this game, loved TR 2013 and all of this just sounds like awesome improvements. I loved the lack of loading in Batman.

Certinty

Sounds amazing.

First game was amazing despite its flaws, honestly can't imagine how good this will turn out to be.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah, yeah, whatever.

I want to know how much bigger the tombs are.

wtshaolin

Banned
hip hop, hooray!!! TOMBS !!!!
r18503711836717421.jpg

Top Bottom