• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 Will Not Release In 2015 (According to GameInformer)

Jigorath

Banned
Should have just gone retro and made it look like the classic Mega Man X games.

megaman-x4-pcdownload-game-megaman-x4-full-pc-rockman-x4-ulo09hgc.jpg

Maybe next time people will think twice about mythologizing the guy who helped drive Capcom into the hole they are now and will see him for what he is.

Because Capcom didn't took years to help digging its own hole withouth him. But I suppose is better use him as a scapegoat than as a saint...

Do we know the circumstances behind him leaving Capcom? I always assumed he just left on his own accord.
Pretty sure it was because of the many projects he was trying to start and the reception of stuff like Lost Planet 2. He was kinda wasting a lot of money. That's what I heard at least, not sure how true that is, probably is though.

Crocodile

I wanna hear this from the horse's mouth. Game looked pretty done to me. That being said, if there is a delay, can we not act like its the end of the world? Games, especially Kickstater games, get delayed all the time - it doesn't make Inafune a disgusting monster. IF there is a delay, I want to know the reason why and there better be a good one. The game was only 6 weeks out and backers should be told ASAP. I want to play it :(

Dumb Kamiya Tweet

*Herp, derp Kamiya tweer*

What does a delay have to do with business or creative acumen?

Which is why they're delaying it?

I mean, it's no mystery that some developers use funding they secured for a new title in order to finish up another one already in production.

They probably expected Red Ash to get finished, used some of that money in order to finish up MN9, and they would've secured the funding anyways from FUZE thus besmirching exactly what the KS was paying for and what FUZE was paying for?

This is some conspiracy laden.......nonsense? Like I can't say there isn't a 0% chance this happened but you're pretty up fan-fiction/cynicism lane to come up with this given the state of MN9 when we last saw it and the fact that Red Ash and MN9 share like very little development staff.

That is odd, as the game looked solid and well on its way from its E3 showing this year......

My bet is that either the Red Ash Kickstarter had some impact on Mighty No. 9's development (leading to its delay) or that the game really needs more time in the oven to be a stronger product (maybe improve its visuals to make it more-in line with the concept art they showed off).

Why would Red Ash influence MN9? There is very little staff overlap.

I'd also add that the speed run video posted here yesterday didn't leave a very good impression of MN9 to many of us, especially since, at the time, the 9/15 release date seemed legitimate. The video looked like Mega Man's bland cousin who relied too much on dash, and the gameplay appeared to be ridiculously easy. Maybe the delay will help but the last few updates on MN9 have been lackluster at best.

I don't hate Inafune but there's quite a bit of reasons to be disappointed in him lately.

I mean I guess that's fine if its your opinion but its an intro stage. It's supposed to be easy for anybody who knows what they are doing. I don't see that as a meaningful critique. Aside from some shitty visual effects (fire, explosions) it looked fine.

And this is why I will never back a video game kickstarter.

Are we now pretending lots of successful and quality videogames haven't come out of Kickstater? Once in a blue moon you might get burned but if you're smart you'll get reward many times over (to say nothing of that if everybody was always afraid of getting burned and thus never backed, lots of sweet projects would never get off the ground). Just choose the projects you back wisely and you'll end up in the positive over the long (and usually short) run.

Doesn't look any blander than Splosion man or Mega Mans.

THey aren't releasing their games for about 20 different platforms, though. That's one of the reasons why Mighty No. 9 made as much money as it did. Wii U, Vita & 3DS fans put a lot of money behind the project to get this game on their (weak) niche platforms. Comcept are also probably getting paid a monthly fair wage instead of the usual indie pay that is a far cry from how much professionals should be paid for their professional work.

Your memory is off. Look at the stretch goals, it was PC > PS3/XB360/WiiU > PS4/XBone > 3DS/Vita. The Kickstater was done in 2013 and the game is a last gen game ported to current consoles, not the other way around.

Compare how mighty no. 9 looks to the upcoming Jetpack Squad which is being made by 2 dudes.

NaughtyFixedKakarikis.gif

I mean that looks great (thanks for bringing it to my attention) but I dunno how it puts MN9 "to shame". Apples to Oranges comparison it feels like to me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What a mess

Looking at the recent video

Why oh why did they not stick with the 2D art for heavens sake

mighty-number-9.jpg
In every MN9 thread this picture is posted, concept art is just that, concept. Even if the game was 2D it wouldn't look like this.

Oh I thought you posted that quote because it made him seem like a hypocrite. Regardless of the whole Business Man vs Creator stuff, it's not like he left Capcom because he was sick of making Mega Man games.

no, he's definitely a hypocrite. Throwing the other guy under the bus like that and then going on to do the exact same thing he condemned them for is blatant hypocrisy.

rjc571

Banned
Because you irrationally base your image of Kickstarter on this one project instead of all the great games that have come from it?

Guess what, I can purchase those games now if I want regardless of whether I backed them on kickstarter.

What's irrational is pledging money to support a game without knowing what the game even looks like, let alone how well it's going to turn out.

PS I'm a dumbass who pledged $250 on Mighty #9. I was hoping I could recoup some of those costs by pawning off the swag that comes with the game, but at this point there's probably going to be zero demand for it. While I have backed a couple of projects since then, I'm definitely going to think long and hard about anything I choose to back, and NEVER going to pay anywhere close to that amount again under any circumstance.

Just curious, but what parts of this concept art do you think are not possible to replicate in a 2D game?
Ravidrath
Lab Zero Games
(Today, 05:05 PM)

Ah excellent. Someone from a group with actual experience making gorgeous 2D games. Maybe people can stop throwing around the "it'd never look like that!" stuff now.

Nydius

I mean I guess that's fine if its your opinion but its an intro stage. It's supposed to be easy for anybody who knows what they are doing. I don't see that as a meaningful critique. Aside from some shitty visual effects (fire, explosions) it looked fine.

It's a perfectly fine critique. The level was easy and disinteresting. The boss practically stood there and took the ass whooping. Oh, wow, had to jump over a few missles. Wooooooo. Christ, Flashman in Mega Man 2 was harder than that, and he was one of the easiest bosses in the entire 8-bit Mega Man franchise.

"It's the first level so it's supposed to be easy" is such a pathetic excuse. There's no reason for an intro stage in a fairly simple side scrolling shooter to be easy except laziness and handholding of the player. The game should set the difficulty from the start, not give a pathetic "here's how you dash, now do it a million times" intro stage. This is especially true for a Mega Man knockoff, given that Mega Man was fairly well known for being somewhere between medium and smash controller against the floor levels of hard.

The game looks like crap for as much time as it's had in development. This is a great example why kickstarting games based solely on nostalgia is a really bad idea.

so all you people critizing posting that Kamiya twitter screenshot

do you have anything to say against it other than it's annoying?

can you really say that all the things in Red Ash and Mighty No. 9 aren't just blatant, constructed cash grabs that exist to play on Mega Man fans' nostalgia and desire for new material?

Hell, Comcept bloody did everything in their power to influence the fact that the Call design that won their "poll" would be the one that looked most like Roll.

You may find excessive posting of that tweet annoying, but there's really nothing about it that's wrong.

Wow, what's going on here? Before reading this thread I didn't knew there was a kickstarter for some Mega Man Legends clone, and it's got a publisher too so people don't want to back the project any more. And now this delay!

I'm starting to understand why Inafune got fired from Capcom, what a mess. I'm surprised by that delay though, the game seemed in a pretty good shape in the last videos. It doesn't look stellar but it sure looks fun to play. And Inticreates has produced lots of MM games in these last few years, it's not a rookie studio with no experience.

It's a perfectly fine critique. The level was easy and disinteresting. The boss practically stood there and took the ass whooping. Oh, wow, had to jump over a few missles. Wooooooo. Christ, Flashman in Mega Man 2 was harder than that, and he was one of the easiest bosses in the entire 8-bit Mega Man franchise.

"It's the first level so it's supposed to be easy" is such a pathetic excuse. There's no reason for an intro stage to be easy except laziness and handholding of the player. The game should set the difficulty from the start, not give a pathetic "here's how you dash, now do it a million times" intro stage. This is especially true for a Mega Man knockoff, given that Mega Man was fairly well known for being somewhere between medium and smash controller against the floor levels of hard.

The game looks like crap for as much time as it's had in development. This is a great example why kickstarting games based solely on nostalgia is a really bad idea.

I compared the levels of the MN9 intro level and Mega Man X's Awakening Road, and honestly, there's no comparison. MN9's intro level is easy as cake and there's very few instances where you're in danger of failing.

Whereas MMX's intro stage has a moderate, but meager enough for an intro, that organically teaches you the game's mechanics, has a few mid bosses, and even a few items in secret locations if you look hard enough. There's platforming, instances where you need to make an effort to heal, and playing well is actually rewarded.

MN9's intro stage is just pathetic in comparison.

Wow, what's going on here? Before reading this thread I didn't knew there was a kickstarter for some Mega Man Legends clone, and it's got a publisher too so people don't want to back the project any more. And now this delay!

I'm starting to understand why Inafune got fired from Capcom, what a mess. I'm surprised by that delay though, the game seemed in a pretty good shape in the last videos. It doesn't look stellar but it sure looks fun to play. And Inticreates has produced lots of MM games in these last few years, it's not a rookie studio with no experience.

He resigned.

Crocodile

"It's the first level so it's supposed to be easy" is such a pathetic excuse. There's no reason for an intro stage in a fairly simple side scrolling shooter to be easy except laziness and handholding of the player. The game should set the difficulty from the start, not give a pathetic "here's how you dash, now do it a million times" intro stage. This is especially true for a Mega Man knockoff, given that Mega Man was fairly well known for being somewhere between medium and smash controller against the floor levels of hard.

Have you played an into stage in any Mega Man game before? I honestly can't tell - the fact that you make a comparison to a main stage in a Mega Man game without intro levels seems weird. They are all piss easy if you've been playing Mega Man games for any extended period of time. What I saw of the MN9 level doesn't appear to have the GOAT design of the MMX into level but it was certainly within the same realm of difficulty.

so all you people criticizing posting that Kamiya twitter screenshot

can you really say that all the things in Red Ash and Mighty No. 9 aren't just blatant, constructed cash grabs that exist to play on Mega Man fans' nostalgia and desire for new material?

Hell, Comcept bloody did everything in their power to influence the fact that the Call design that won their "poll" would be the one that looked most like Roll.

You may find excessive posting of that tweet annoying, but there's really nothing about it that's wrong.

Huh? How did they do this? I was PISSED when that version of Call won. Got any proof to back your claim up?

Not that I'm trying to defend what's happening with this game, but games in development get delayed all the time even after locking in official release dates.

I'm not really a die-hard Megaman or Inafune fan, but I don't like the idea of games not having the option of delays - for the sake of polish, fleshing out, etc. - just cause they're crowd-funded.

I know it sucks, but would the people that contributed rather end up with an end-product that's half-baked?

Waiting for The Last Guardian and Versus/XV through all of PS3's lifespan might have warped me.

Vena

Its okay. If Capcom comes through with the MegaMan amiibo we'll be able to make our own jump-and-shoot adventure with Super Mario Maker!

(Also Sonic.)

(And Pac-Man.)

(And Samus.... ;_;)

In every MN9 thread this picture is posted, concept art is just that, concept. Even if the game was 2D it wouldn't look like this.

in every mn9 thread this picture is posted, and someone states that it's stupid to assume the game could have looked literally anything like that concept art instead of a bland, lifeless, made by 1 person game. and yet games that look like that concept art exist and are hailed for their beauty.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like it's time for fans to step up and make their own Mega Man-styled games. Don't rely on Capcom, and definitely don't rely on Inafune.

Because Capcom didn't took years to help digging its own hole withouth him. But I suppose is better use him as a scapegoat than as a saint...

Nobody is saying that Inafune is single-handedly responsible for the current state of Capcom, but he definitely got the ball rolling.

todd360

hey guys

YmzFoH7l.png

I have a

YmzFoH7l.png

really unique,

YmzFoH7l.png

edgy and clever

YmzFoH7l.png

thought to contribute

YmzFoH7l.png

hee hee does my wit have no bounds?

*smugly leaves thread never to return*

If I had $100 for every time I saw this tweet I would be able to pay off my student loans today.
An exaggeration but still lol

Have you played an into stage in any Mega Man game before? I honestly can't tell - the fact that you make a comparison to a main stage in a Mega Man game without intro levels seems weird. They are all piss easy if you've been playing Mega Man games for any extended period of time. What I saw of the MN9 level doesn't appear to have the GOAT design of the MMX into level but it was certainly within the same realm of difficulty.

Huh? How did they do this? I was PISSED when that version of Call won. Got any proof to back your claim up?

How about the fact that it was the one shown in pretty much all the artwork prior?

Her design being so blatantly Roll is also obvious. This game was sold as "basically Mega Man" from the start. They put all their chips on fans going for the one that was blatantly Roll. Because it's familiar and safe and safe sells.

Nose Master

Feel out of place not just rubbing my face on the keyboard and yelling about how much MN9 is a blight on the world, but meh. What's another couple of months?

They should re-open the beta in light of this news though

Hahaha! I think he actually resigned in an interview.

I remember reading years ago that he resigned because Capcom only wanted him to do sequels, and it was like pulling teeth to get them to greenlight new IPs. Dead Rising, for example, was only made into a full game because he purposely went overbudget on the prototype and essentially forced them into making a full game to recoup the losses.

I remember reading years ago that he resigned because Capcom only wanted him to do sequels, and it was like pulling teeth to get them to greenlight new IPs. Dead Rising, for example, was only made into a full game because he purposely went overbudget on the prototype and essentially forced them into making a full game to recoup the losses.

why in the world would anyone BRAG ABOUT THIS?

Oh wow.

RK128

Remember hearing that he pulled that stunt with Lost Planet too. I mean, it lead to two enjoyable games happening, but that had to affect Capcom financially :(.

I guess that is why they let him go; he was 'costing to much money' in there eyes.

Maedhros

hey guys

http://i.imgur.com/YmzFoH7l.png[IMG]

I have a

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YmzFoH7l.png[IMG]

really unique,

edgy and clever

thought to contribute

hee hee does my wit have no bounds?

*smugly leaves thread never to return*[/QUOTE]

Not even near enough.

[quote="spindashing, post: 173689698"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YmzFoH7l.png

Haha, well done my friend! *tips fedora*

Jobbs

Banned
Unless the giant "GREAT!" text and all that that keeps popping up all the time is togglable, I won't even be able to play this (I backed it).

so all you people critizing posting that Kamiya twitter screenshot

It's not whether the tweet is right or wrong. It's that it's being spammed to fuck and contributing nothing outside of derailing the threads it's posted in. Here's a wild idea: instead of posting some tired meme, why don't people form a thought with words that articulate their point over the thousandth appearance of that kamiyainafune.jpg

Top Bottom