• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "first" Pokemon game for a child?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
My daughter is 7 years old and loves the original cartoon series (on Netflix). I'm looking to try her into one of the mainline games now that her reading is improving tremendously. So obviously I'm talking 3DS/DS here, since I don't want to buy another hardware (GBA) just for her to play one game.

So which of the current "DS" titles are the best for a newcomer to get started on? The only reason I am hesitant about X/Y/Omega 3DS games is that they don't have any of the characters that she would recognize from the cartoon (Pikachu, Bulbasaur, etc). Are there any of the DS games that have OG characters, that's kind of a huge selling point above anything else.

Thanks!

Crayolan

XY puts gen 1 pokemon front and center. You even have a second set of gen 1 starters very early in the game.

W1SSY

Can't you play GBA games on the DS? If so you could always get Fire Red or Leaf Green which is just the remake of the originals.

Ahnez

You can get a gen 1 starter in XY, and you can catch Pikachus very early

It gives a lot of attention to the first gen, so I think its the best choice

X &Y will throw Pikachu at you right off the bat, and then hand you one of the original starters not long after.

Also there is nothing you need to experience first, each game is literally designed that it will be some kids first.

Syril

Actually X and Y have a lot of Pokemon from the older games. I don't know what a lot of the main ones in the anime are, but there are wild Pikachus at the beginning of the game and you can also pick Bulbasaur as a second starter later on.

Just get her Omega Ruby. She'll probably love the game just because it has pokemon on the name and the discovery of new mans as she's playing will probably blow her mind.

If you can find Pokemon Heart Gold or Soul Silver, I think the following Pokemon and the Pokewalker will be really fun for her.

Otherwise, I'd recommend X & Y.

All pokemon games are beginner friendly, why even suggest old games just for nostalgia?

Get XY/ORAS, the one thing a child would not appreciate growing up is getting outdated stuff.

Spyware

SThe only reason I am hesitant about X/Y/Omega 3DS games is that they don't have any of the characters that she would recognize from the cartoon (Pikachu, Bulbasaur, etc).
X/Y is actually the perfect game then. Pikachu is in the second area you can catch pokémon in and also says their name instead of the generic cry sound. Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle show up within two-three hours of playtime and you get to choose one of them to bring with you.
Beside that it's a great and easy enty in the series. Would recommend it first to any young person, but it's even more perfect for your kid :)

bigkrev

Pokemon X became my first Pokemon game since Yellow, because you can basically play exclusively with Gen 1 Pokemon (which is how I played the game).

I'd get either X or Y.

N30RYU

Pokemon_Yellow_Version_GBC_ScreenShot1.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Any recent gen should work, but if you want to go back, BW should also be good. Despite what people say, Pokemon is one of those games where you don't really "need" to play the older games.

Spyware

I had no idea X/Y had gen 1 Pokemon!

Wow, what an easy purchase! Thanks GAF.
The only games that doesn't mix Pokémon from all previous gens from the start is Black/White. They have exclusively Gen5 mons until you beat the story. X/Y is made specifically for Gen1 nostalgia tho. The first wild mon you meet is always a Pidgey, the first forest is a copy of the one in the first games and it even has a sleeping Snorlax that you have to wake up since it's in the way :) Plus the already mentioned set of starters (and some other more spoilery things).

For reference, I'll just list the Gen I Pokemon families that aren't in the Kalos Pokedex.

Rattata family
Clefairy family
Vulpix family
Paras family
Venonat famiy
Meowth family (probably worth noting)
Mankey family
Growlithe family
Ponyta family
Seel family
Grimer family
Drowzee family
Krabby family
Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan family
Koffing family
Chansey family
Tangela family
Electabuzz family
Magmar family
Porygon family
Omanyte family
Kabuto family
Mew

I'd say ORAS but I'm biased as gen 3 was my favourite growing up.you can't really go wrong with any of the 3ds games. If she's attached to the likes of Pikachu,Bulba etc.XY is probably better.

Who says that about Pokemon?
A lot of people swear by gen 1? Not sure what he's getting at myeself either.

N30RYU

It a was a kid, I would be pissed that my dad got me that while all of my friends are playing the fancy new ones with 3D graphics.
best first <> best

If you let your kid play the lattest one first, surely won't play any other later with worse graphics.

So either yellow or just buy the last for the 3ds and be done with it.

Forkball

Pikachu is in the first area of the game. Hell they even changed his voice to match the anime. Also right after you get your starter, you get ANOTHER starter from Gen I. XY has a ton of Genwunner pandering.

I'd definitely start with XY. The games are easier than ever with the EXP All and there are tons of Pokemon you encounter throughout the main campaign.

Caronte

Look at this thread and see that the first post is heartgold

Because it's a really good game with features not present in others. I haven't seen anyone say "she should play all of them in order", that wouldn't make any sense. Weaknesses have changed, new types have been added, physical and special attacks are different now, etc. Suggesting an older game because you think it's the better one is fine but absolutely no one will say you have to play them in order.

Vandole

I realize you've said games for the DS, but if there's a way to get a Wii or Wii U, she would love you forever if you got Pokemon Snap.

When will people realize, when it comes to Pokemon, there is no wrong answer to which is the best to start with. They are all designed with first timers in mind, everyone else is an afterthought.

X & Y have the Kanto starters and Pikachu early on. They're also the easiest Pokémon games which I suppose would be good for a youngster playing the series for the first time.

Because it's a really good game with features not present in others. I haven't seen anyone say "she should play all of them in order", that wouldn't make any sense. Weaknesses have changed, new types have been added, physical and special attacks are different now, etc. Suggesting an older game because you think it's the better one is fine but absolutely no one will say you have to play them in order.

Heart gold is super overrated here and there really aren't many good reasons to play it for someone without nostalgia in this day and age

Uh you see people in this thread suggesting very old games. Hell, even people recommending XY are recommending it for the wrong reasons (i.e. what I meant).

Hell, it's actually a great approach to the series without the 90's goggles taint.

Yep. Especially since the kid is 7. The only disadvantage I can see for gen VI games are post game stuff, but a 7 year old kid isn't really going to get much out of most post-game content like the battle frontier, which is aimed for far more experienced players

L Thammy

Maybe one of the spinoffs? Like Mystery Dungeon or Pokemon Rumble or something. When I was a little kid turn-based RPGs were too slow and vague for my tastes; I didn't develop a taste for them until later. I know some of my friends couldn't get into them at first because they had trouble reading.

If VC allowed for it I would suggest Pokemon Snap. :|

wmlk

If you're growing up watching XY, then I recommend XY. Otherwise I think a kid should start with HGSS.

So can someone please explain to me why anyone would get a 7 year old kid with no nostalgia for the series Heartgold or Soulsilver? For a kid that age, always go for the newest gen. Always

L Thammy

So can someone please explain to me why anyone would get a 7 year old kid with no nostalgia for the series Heartgold or Soulsilver? For a kid that age, always go for the newest gen. Always

They are watching the show on NetFlix according to the OP. Why are you assmuing that she didn't start from episode 1? OP even mentions that she recognizes Bulbasaur; is Bulbasaur even in the newer episodes?

Caronte

Uh you see people in this thread suggesting very old games. Hell, even people recommending XY are recommending it for the wrong reasons (i.e. what I meant).

Hell, it's actually a great approach to the series without the 90's goggles taint.

Again, suggesting an old game =/= saying you have to play them in order.

Heart gold is super overrated here and there really aren't many good reasons to play it for someone without nostalgia in this day and age

Better than XY. My favorite is gen 3 anyway (GBA games).

They are watching the show on NetFlix according to the OP. Why are you assmuing that she didn't start from episode 1? OP even mentions that she recognizes Bulbasaur; is Bulbasaur even in the newer episodes?
Yes. Hell, you're given one straight up in XY. And again, that still doesn't mean they'll have a ton of nostalgia for the old VIDEO GAMES

Top Bottom