• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 1 month to play all of Metal Gear Solid.

Roussow

So, this is a thread I'm going to just drop here for advice on the best way to play through all of the core MGS games before TPP.

I'm thinking start with getting the first Metal Gear Solid on PSN and play through on my PS3, or even Vita (if possible -- how would this go?)

Then getting the HD collection to play through MGS2, MGS3, and most importantly, Peace Walker.

Then if I have the time I'll play through MGS4 again (The only one I've played beyond GZ). 2 and 4 are the least essential considering where TPP is in the continuity of the series, correct? MGS4 is one of my very favorite games of last gen, and I played it with limited knowledge of the other games in the series!

Then close out with a quick replay of GZ the day of TPP's release.

Other notes -- are Metal Gear, and Metal Gear: Solid Snake essential playing? Or can I easily just read up or view the essential story content there?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Get this.

mSxZxyM.jpg

Then play in order of release.

Other notes -- are Metal Gear, and Metal Gear: Solid Snake essential playing? Or can I easily just read up or view the essential story content there?

Not essential. The story is explained in the other games. But they are included as part of MGS3 if you want to.

Go for it!

You can play MGS 1 - 3 and PW on Vita but note you would need to buy the psp version of PW to play on Vita.

but you also play through them on PS3 with the updated PW which comes with the HD collection/legacy edition .

so its up to you and your preference

The worst thing you can do is rush Metal Gear Solid games. Why rush them to play Phantom Pain when all of them will be new to you?

You can easily gey by without playing the original Metal Gear games. MGS assumes that it's audience didn't play them, and fills you innon what you need to know.

Auctopus

If you rush them, you'll be frustrated and not enjoy them. If you're desperate, play the game that appeals to you most then watch a summary.

zma1013

Stick with your plan of playing through in order, you don't need to play the old NES Metal Gear games unless you're just curious about how the series started off. Pretty much everything you need to know about the older games is explained to you in Metal Gear Solid 1.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Hahaha that's pretty much what I do right now. Just started 3, 2 wasn't all that great but I love 3 so far.

Gaffi

I think you have a pretty good plan going! I would say if you are pressed for time maybe just watch a video of MG and MG2 for the story. It's actually pretty cool and I think you may seem some references to them in MGSV as it chronologically comes right before those two. (I have kept myself in the dark on MGSV for the most part but I think they will definitely touch on the origins of some of the characters in those and MGS1.)

I hope you have fun with the series, I think MGS1/2/3 are the best and PW is pretty great too, though you may just look up the secret 100% ending as the grind will cut into your deadline. MGS4 actually gives some backgroun info on MGSV so if you've forgotten alot about the ending especially you may speed through that one again too if you can manage.

Evilmaus

Skip 2, it's nothing but trash.

How much crack are you on, exactly? I'm curious.

Anyways, play in order of release. One month is enough time, but it's definitely worth revisiting them as you're bound to find things you didn't catch your first time through, and the items you unlock as a completion bonus can be a lot of fun.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well good luck and have fun! Just remember to play them in the release order and not, as some people do on their first playthrough, in chronological order.

A similiar thread was already made today:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088331

You got the right idea basically, best play in release order, but the essential games for MGSV are MGS3 and Peace Walker. MGS3, while a prequel, kinda builds on MGS1 and MGS2 though and even PW kinda takes a few story bits that were introduced in MGS4, but I guess you could let that one slide, especially since that's the one you've already played.

You don't need to play the classic MG's as far as the plot is concerned, they're old 8-bit action adventure games, their stories can easily be summarized with a few sentences. You might want to play them for fun though, they're good games, if you can appreciate games from that era.

I'd skip them for now though, since you're already on a tight schedule, just start with MGS1.

Krejlooc

Banned
Skip 2, it's nothing but trash.

Presumably the guy is trying to get the entire story down

This would be like telling someone they can safely skip Empire Strikes Back when watching the Star Wars trilogy. Just WTF, MGS2 is one of the most important games in the entire series when it comes to the overall plot.

SJRB

Gold Member
Presumably the guy is trying to get the entire story down

This would be like telling someone they can safely skip Empire Strikes Back when watching the Star Wars trilogy. Just WTF, MGS2 is one of the most important games in the entire series when it comes to the overall plot.

It's just a silly driveby shitpost.

neptunes

The eating/first-aid mechanic really turn me off from playing mgs3 again

It seems so out of place in retrospect.

Zombine

Banned
I would be careful OP. By the time you finish the last game you might not want to play Phantom Pain. I usually think marathoning a series before a new game is a bad idea.

Roussow

A month is a fairly long time, I'm only working 3 days a week at the moment -- so it's not going to be a mad rush.

How long are the games though, roughly?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
MGS2 is a bit unintuitive to control if you are used to modern control schemes. That can spoil the enjoyment at first. Same is true for MGS1 though. That sniper gameplay on the Vita nearly drove me insane.

Bl@de

You will get burned out. I have the Legacy Collection too and started playing the series but playing 5 games of the same franchise in one month ...

Take your time. Enjoy the games.You managed to avoid the series for over 15 years (except for one title) ... you don't need to buy 5 on release. Get MGSV later. Cheaper and patched. I know I will.

BibiMaghoo

Skip nothing OP, play them all in order, including 4, and decide for yourself. I consider MGS4 one of the greatest games ever made, yet many will tell you it was garbage.

They are all worth playing.

A month is a fairly long time, I'm only working 3 days a week at the moment -- so it's not going to be a mad rush.

How long are the games though, roughly?

I got a work colleague who's not that good at video games into the series recently. So far he's played MGS1, 2 and 3. The first two took him between 10-15 hours each, the third one was 20 something he said.

I'm about to start playing them all too. Definitely play in release order. Also ignore the dumb post that said skip MGS2. It's fucking amazing and my favorite after the original.

Roldan

Take a shot every time someone opens a thread about playing through all of the MGS for the first time (or something similar)

JK, I find cool that more people are trying to get into the series.

Legacy Collection is the way to go. About the two MG, I suggest that you read about them. MG2:SS is very ahead of its time in a gameplay perspective, but MG1 can be kinda rough to play.

Krejlooc

Banned
My reaction:

albundy_shock.gif

I remember what got me was when the credits are about to roll and they flash the timeline, and the end is "Les Enfants Terrible Project begins" with that noise that plays.

I was like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuck"

It sucks that Peace Walker was never released on Vita. Only main-story MGS I haven't played.

You can play Peace Walker on the Vita. In fact, that's the preferred way to play (or on a PS3 or Xbox 360) because it maps the camera controls to the right stick.

What sucks is that Portable Ops never got a port to a system with acceptable controls.

protonion

All this plot in one month... Your head will explode!

Anyway.

1-2-3.

4 and PW on youtube.

Then GZ.

40 hours at most.

Roussow

Really looking forward to 2, I'm not skipping.

From a story perspective that seems from the outside to be the most interesting.

I know some people have already chimed in on this -- but how essential is Peace Walker? I'm honestly most interested in it because of how much Greg Miller talks up that game, it's kinda absurd.

Oh -- and I'll update the thread as I go through the games, or make a new one. It's 3am here in Tasmania, so first thing I'll head down to my local EB and try and get a copy of that legacy collection, or just the HD one if I can't find it. I guess the port is fine on both, yeah? I take it Legacy is just better because it's a more complete package.

Top Bottom