• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Streamer Banned After Staging His Own Swatting

Fracas

#fuckonami
Edit: to clarify, this was not a real swatting. People from Trick2G's team portrayed officers.

This was talked about a bit in the League of Legends thread, but I feel it's pretty relevant for a wider audience in gaming. I'll link the Kotaku article here.

This past Saturday, the popular League of Legends-focused Twitch streamer Trick2g was putting on an elaborate 24-hour live event to commemorate the fact that he’d amassed 800,000 followers. He decided to end the stream with a bang: staging his own mock swatting. Come Monday morning, his account was banned.

Swatting, in case you don’t know, is a practice by which someone calls in an imaginary violent crime in order to trick the police into sending a SWAT team to the address of the target. Ideally in the swatter’s mind, this is a prank that’s meant to pay off with everyone watching a gameplay stream getting to see the distressed and confused streamer hauled off by a group of heavily armed policemen. That’s the visual Trick2g chose to play on at the end of his 24-hour stream.

The article goes a lot more in depth and also includes a response from Trick's manager/Twitch staff. The length of Trick's ban hasn't been made public yet. I'm guessing it won't be that long; dude makes a ton of cash for Twitch.

I'm not really sure how to feel about it. Swatting has hurt other streamers' lives, and it's an odd thing to joke about.

You can watch the fake swatting here.

But it's okay to have Pink_sparklez who's on twitch right now with 80% screen showing breasts. My point is why is okay to have a top 5 channel be this and not bannable on a gaming site?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just edited the OP to clarify. Not a real swatting; folks from Trick2G's company portrayed officers.

Kriken

He treats Swatting like a joke, deserves to have his account banned

But it's okay to have Pink_sparklez who's on twitch right now with 80% screen showing breasts. My point is why is okay to have a top 5 channel be this and not bannable on a gaming site?

How do you connect these dots? ...Whut?

L95

Mock swatting?

I have two fairly different opinions on this if he really called them and if he just had some fakes dressed up interrupt him.

Alienous

Did he actually 'Swat' himself, or did he get people to dress up to stage it?

I don't have as much of a problem with the latter.

Edit:

Ah, so it was pretend. Eh, seems like a 'prank' on his viewers.

Good.

Swatting is dangerous. It can cause the injury and potential death of pets and people and is done to people who are just playing video games on the Internet. It's sickening, and trying to get more attention to your stream by faking it is disgusting.

Armaros

I wonder why Athene didn't get banned when he pulled this shit during his showmatch with Alex Ich

2 years before it become a common thing to swat people you dont like, or for lulz.

And Twitch is much much bigger then ever and owned by a large corporation.

It's funny looking at the chat in that stream and calling it fake right off the bat. I guess it's the bit where he slaps the SWAT officer in the face that tipped them off. Nobody would be dumb enough to do that with a gun pointed at them.

Corpekata

Banned

This isn't even apples to oranges. This is like apples to paint thinner or something.

Top Bottom