• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny receives a new Leveling System with The Taken King release. Step aside RNG.

SaganIsGOAT

Okay , RNG still exists, but it has been vastly improved as well. I for one, am pumped. This does away with MANY of the RNG complaints from days past.

Gameinformer Link

Players earn XP by killing monsters, completing missions, and turning in bounties, as has always been the case, but that experience now feeds directly into your level progression all the way from 1 to the new level cap of 40.

Meanwhile, weapons and armor continue to provide increased power to your character, with new gear unlocking for use as you level up. “The conflation of gear and character level led to this place where your identity was determined by things outside of your control,” says creative director Luke Smith. “We don’t want to do that.”

We were also told that Destiny’s loot system will now pay closer attention to the loot you have already received when determining an appropriate drop, so that players will more consistently receive armor and weapons that provide meaningful power growth, items that vary their gear slot from one drop to the next, and fewer drops of items that a player has already attained.

this-changes-everything.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
So, is it an update to the entire game or only if you have TTK?

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I recently bought Destiny again for $10 and I'm kinda wanting to get into it again. This helps.

Honestly The Taken King sounds incredible from just about everything I've heard and read of it. I get the feeling Bungie is really hearing the complaints and doing what they can to fix it. Bodes well for the future of the franchise, and they have already improved it a ton since launch.

jadedm17

Bungie said:
We were also told that Destiny’s loot system will now pay closer attention to the loot you have already received when determining an appropriate drop, so that players will more consistently receive armor and weapons that provide meaningful power growth, items that vary their gear slot from one drop to the next, and fewer drops of items that a player has already attained.

Yet they supposedly can't change Xur? Destiny is a mess but its always interesting.

This is cool for new players who would be like me since I haven't tried Destiny yet but will this all transition smoothly for launch players?

Seems like Taken King will be a full reboot?

Trey

No shit. Tying gear to level was stupid at launch.

Props to Bungie for making the right call. Listening to feedback from the playerbase is paramount.

This actually might make me pick up the game again, played it for the first time in months yesterday. I really want to like this game because the gameplay itself is excellent.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sounds good, I am curious to see how it actually plays out. It would take some pretty god damn impressive work for me to feel like shelling out another $60 for the game would be a worthwhile purchase, but I guess it's not impossible.

Loving everything I'm hearing about The Taken King today. Nolan North rising like a phoenix from the ashes of Dinklebot and RNGesus. Sign me up.

Nipo

great news. I passed on the base game but will likely pick up TTK. Now they just need to make it so i can do match making for raids.

Nephtes

Okay okay... But uhhh what level does that make me when Taken King drops?

Is it based on my gear level now or how many XPs I already earned?? D:

Trogdor1123

Honestly The Taken King sounds incredible from just about everything I've heard and read of it. I get the feeling Bungie is really hearing the complaints and doing what they can to fix it. Bodes well for the future of the franchise, and they have already improved it a ton since launch.
We just need to pay for it... They heard us loud and clear.

Moofers

Wow I could actually see getting back on board for this. My biggest problem was not having the time to sit and grind grind grind and collect various shit to keep up with friends. This is great news.

Mandelbo

These improvements sound really good. With all the other things they've announced recently, like the upped weapon count, I'm a little tempted to jump in when TTK launches and the retail version with all the dlc releases.

t0rment

lol, nice to know that i didn't waste more of my time getting etheric light, since that will be useless in 1 month.

Top Bottom