• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duelyst Beta is available. Like Hearthstone but less RNG and more tactics

Nordicus

By the way is there an entry fee for the Gauntlet? I've missed the one on Saturday, so I didn't get to try it out.
There is, 150 gold, but the minimum reward for just going 0-3 is usually on the level of one booster pack plus 50g, so you end up losing nothing.

I tend to save up my gold during rest of the week then spend it in Gauntlet for almost guaranteed better gains

TheChaos0

There is, 150 gold, but the minimum reward for just going 0-3 is usually on the level of one booster pack plus 50g, so you end up losing nothing.

I tend to save up my gold during rest of the week then spend it in Gauntlet for almost guaranteed better gains

Same as Hearthstone then, I was wondering whether to save my gold or not.

TheChaos0

Not exactly, since in Hearthstone Arena you end up losing stuff unless you manage 3 wins. But aside from that, and Duelyst gauntlet ending on 9 wins instead of 12, yes.

Well, I've meant the cost of entry.

Looks like Duelyst is a bit more, I'd say fair(?), maybe generous is a better word, in terms of time/investment reward. You get gold a bit faster, quests are less frustrating in a sense that you can just lose all your games and still get rewards, tutorial challenges give you a bit of easy gold, which nice.

Nordicus

Looks like Duelyst is a bit more, I'd say fair(?), maybe generous is a better word, in terms of time/investment reward. You get gold a bit faster, quests are less frustrating in a sense that you can just lose all your games and still get rewards, tutorial challenges give you a bit of easy gold, which nice.
Yeah, it is nice not having to play a faction you don't like for overly long

Can't get the client to install, window pops up but than it disappears quickly.
You could also play the game through Google Chrome in beta.duelyst.com (does not work for other browsers)

Skulldead

Since the patch this morning the game always freeze or get black screen for no reason online or on Solo training. I lost like 3 rank game because of this, and i was about to win !

Nezzhil

Since the patch this morning the game always freeze or get black screen for no reason online or on Solo training. I lost like 3 rank game because of this, and i was about to win !

That bugs it's happening to my brother too. I hope they fix it soon.

boinx

This game has been a lot of fun so far, obviously the devs have taken a hard look at hearthstone but that's not a bad thing at all. Is there going to be a 2vs2 mode in this?

Nordicus

I feel so dirty. Had my first victory where my finishing move was Spiral Technique. Ugh, UGH.
CAYirsV.png

It is not fun losing to this. "Oh, you have board control now, but that doesn't matter. Bang, 30% of your max HP gone instantly"

TheChaos0

I feel so dirty. Had my first victory where my finishing move was Spiral Technique. Ugh, UGH.
CAYirsV.png

It is not fun losing to this. "Oh, you have board control now, but that doesn't matter. Bang, 30% of your max HP gone instantly"

Not a fan of those kind of cards, that can simply eat loads of your HP out of nowhere and requires no set up, outside of nuking the general/face. Same goes for Pyroblast.

Skulldead

Not a fan of those kind of cards, that can simply eat loads of your HP out of nowhere and requires no set up, outside of nuking the general/face. Same goes for Pyroblast.

This is will probably be nerf, this is way tIo freaking strong. magine 3 on a deck...

I just got luck and got the Rare creature that when your general die he take the place of the general (5/12). This is a freaking great card for end game...

Nordicus

This is will probably be nerf, this is way tIo freaking strong. magine 3 on a deck...
Tbh, 3 would be overkill since you'd draw it way too often and fast and would have to use your card redraw on that every round until the (pen)ultimate round when you can afford to dump 7 mana on a single spell, not do much else, and basically give up the board control for that turn.

When you want to use a card reliably once per match, you pick 2 of them.
I just got luck and got the Rare creature that when your general die he take the place of the general (5/12). This is a freaking great card for end game...
It is such a weird card, I've only ever fought it once. When my opponent played it, I was kinda lost for a moment on how to distribute my damage.

Then I decided to just kill the general because I did not want him buffing a 5/12 minion. Life Bond on that would be nasty. Then again, Life Bond is almost always nasty

LProtag

I have a Vetruvian control deck going on right now, but I generally can't build enough momentum early on compared to some of the decks I face. Kinda sucks.

Nordicus

Uggggh, having way less fun now that I've hit Rank 10. Fighting all these 0-9 rankers constantly, if I don't get some ridiculous lucky combo going on, I just cant win against these optimized decks. They don't even break a sweat.

Or shit, should I just throw everything else on the board like I don't care and make sure I get Arctic Displacer + Frostfire + Hearth Sister to land eventually?

Edit: Ya know what, screw it, time for gimmick decks! Let the Fox Season begin!

Nordicus

Had some atrocious runs with Vetruvian (2 and 0) and pretty good runs with Vanar (6 and 5) on today's gauntlet

For Vetruvian, I think my decks failed due to me picking all those delicious but expensive tanky buffs and movement/attack debuffs, but had no decent early game units. The units I had were too much on the techy side. Nothing really remained alive for another round to be buffed.
is there no windowed mode in this game or am I just missing it?
"On PC, press CTRL + SHIFT + F or on Mac press CTRL + CMD + F to toggle windowed mode"

zulux21

Had some atrocious runs with Vetruvian (2 and 0) and pretty good runs with Vanar (6 and 5) on today's gauntlet

For Vetruvian, I think my decks failed due to me picking all those delicious but expensive tanky buffs and movement/attack debuffs, but had no decent early game units. The units I had were too much on the techy side. Nothing really remained alive for another round to be buffed.
"On PC, press CTRL + SHIFT + F or on Mac press CTRL + CMD + F to toggle windowed mode"

thanks, though I am not sure why you wouldn't either A. include an option in settings or B. Use CTRL+Enter.

at least it's not as bad as diablo 2 where you had to make a custom shortcut for the game lol.

of course it seems I can't freely move the window around which is odd.
I guess I can shrink and expand it to move it though >.>

TheChaos0

I had no idea what I was doing on Wednesday's Gauntlet. Oh this card looks nice, oh this card looks nice. My curve was fine but I was getting out comboed left and right. Doesn't help I don't know what cards are must haves. 1-3 is pitiful, considering I would do 5-7 consistently in HS. Well, just need more practice.

I also, I'm still playing with basic decks... ye :D I should build something eventually. I don't know which faction to choose! Ahhh! Abyssians? Maybe... Actually the only faction I'm not so keen on is Vanar, only because I don't particularly like the general's portrait..

Nordicus

I had no idea what I was doing on Wednesday's Gauntlet. Oh this card looks nice, oh this card looks nice. My curve was fine but I was getting out comboed left and right. Doesn't help I don't know what cards are must haves. 1-3 is pitiful, considering I would do 5-7 consistently in HS. Well, just need more practice.
Well, one thing I've noticed is that it's tough to pick just the right amount of reliable removal and dispels in Gauntlet, so ranged units on both sides are that much harder to take care of quickly. Sworn Avengers are a particular pain. So, I tend to pick 1 or 2 with any deck, and a single Crossbones if I don't lose out on some amazing card.

Songhai probably does the worst in Gauntlet. The minions are so reliant on the faction spells being readily available that they become less of a threat with just slight deck imbalance.

Nordicus

tl;dr: reaching high rank online matters now, Songhai and Magmar got some nerfs, Vanar got buffed
HIGHEST RANK SEASON REWARD BONUSES + BONUS CHEVRONS

NOTE Going forward we will be deploying an additional patch on the last day of each season that will include the content and any season change info.

When playing on our monthly Season Ranked Ladder, some players have expressed hesitance to continue playing after reaching a particularly good rank. It could feel like too much of a step backwards to lose a rank or two. Based on the forum feedback, we’ve made some changes that will encourage you to enjoy achieving greater ranks while playing Ranked Ladder throughout the month.

Starting this October season, we will track the HIGHEST rank you've ever reached in the previous month to recognize your accomplishments. We will award players who've achieved Rank 20 or better with a loot crate containing Gold and Spirit rewards determined by your HIGHEST rank over the course of the season (in this case, for September).

Beginning this November season, the loot crates will be permanently upgraded to award you with fresh monthly season content - a set of new cards that will be introduced for the first time into the game! In other words, each month we will introduce a set of four new season cards into the Core Set (1 Common, 1 Rare, 1 Epic, and 1 Legendary). Eligible players will receive a loot crate (determined by your highest rank) at the end of each season containing one or more season content cards, Spirit, and some Gold. For example, a player whose HIGHEST achieved rank from last season was Rank 10 will receive 1 copy of this season's Legendary card, 1 copy of this season's Epic card, 135 Spirit, and 110 Gold.

We hope the fresh sets of monthly cards and rewards that you can now earn each season will add a new layer of fun to the game and encourage you to achieve higher ranks.

Lastly, in November, we'll also be introducing Bonus Chevrons. At the start of each season, each player's new rank will be determined by their rank at the end of the previous season. Players are awarded a bonus chevron for each rank above 28 they achieved at the end of the season, and the player will begin the new season at the rank resulting from their total bonus chevrons. For example, a player who ended the previous season at Rank 20 qualifies for 8 bonus chevrons at the beginning of the next season to start immediately at Rank 23 (rather than at Rank 30).

CARD CHANGES

Our policy for card changes gives you ONE WEEK of full spirit disenchant value for any card that was changed.

Songhai Empire

Bloodrage Mask (1 cost) - Whenever you cast a spell, deal 1 damage to the enemy General. (mana cost increased by 1)

Magmar Aspects

Vindicator (3 cost) - Rush The first friendly minion summoned nearby this minion each turn gains Rush. (used to Rush any number of minions)
Metamorphosis (5 cost) - Transform all enemy minions into 1/1 Magma with no abilities until the end of your opponent's next turn. (used to transform into 2/2 Magma permanently)

Vanar Kindred

Crystal Cloaker (2 cost) - Infiltrate: Gains +2 Attack. (base attack increased from 1 to 2)
Ancient Grove (7 cost) - Provoke, Opening Gambit: Your minions gain "Dying Wish: Summon a 1/1 Treant with Provoke". (Added Provoke, and Treants used to be 2/3 without Provoke)

BUG FIXES AND MINOR CHANGES

Fixed an issue with queueing actions sometimes being blocked specifically in the case of queueing up multiple attacks from a celerity minion
Fixed another issue with queueing actions where players were unable to queue up actions on a summoned unit after playing spells with long visual FX durations
Fixed issues with mouse cursor being shown incorrectly on smaller resolution screens after scrolling game window
Improved UI for horizontally scrolling screens in cases where all content fits on larger resolution screens
Fixed an issue where players were unable to make actions at the start of tutorials and challenges for a brief period at the start

Nordicus

Crystal cloakers are a damn strong 2 drop now (they're no Songhai boar, but still!). If not infiltrated, they couldn't really clear anything off the board before, but now that's changed. And on top of that, the new attack value while infiltrated won me a game in gauntlet:

I lay 2 crystal cloakers on enemy side of the board, hoping they draw some damage from the Brightmoss Golem my opponent previously summoned. Lyonar has other plans, he Divine Bonds the golem then hits me for 13 damage.

Then my turn comes, Lyonar thinks he has me beat as I only have a handful of HP left, so he didn't move his general very far or protect it with bodyblocking minions.

I summon Primus Fist, 4/3 cloakers turn into 5/3. I attack the general with both cloakers. Decent damage but had 9 HP left

...Spirit of the Wild. My cloakers refresh and they attack again. 20 HP total in one turn, victory. It felt amazing

TheChaos0

Starting this October season, we will track the HIGHEST rank you've ever reached in the previous month to recognize your accomplishments. We will award players who've achieved Rank 20 or better with a loot crate containing Gold and Spirit rewards determined by your HIGHEST rank over the course of the season (in this case, for September).

Beginning this November season, the loot crates will be permanently upgraded to award you with fresh monthly season content - a set of new cards that will be introduced for the first time into the game! In other words, each month we will introduce a set of four new season cards into the Core Set (1 Common, 1 Rare, 1 Epic, and 1 Legendary). Eligible players will receive a loot crate (determined by your highest rank) at the end of each season containing one or more season content cards, Spirit, and some Gold. For example, a player whose HIGHEST achieved rank from last season was Rank 10 will receive 1 copy of this season's Legendary card, 1 copy of this season's Epic card, 135 Spirit, and 110 Gold.

Nice, I always found that unless you were going for legend there was reason at all to try to push your ranks higher.

Lastly, in November, we'll also be introducing Bonus Chevrons. At the start of each season, each player's new rank will be determined by their rank at the end of the previous season. Players are awarded a bonus chevron for each rank above 28 they achieved at the end of the season, and the player will begin the new season at the rank resulting from their total bonus chevrons. For example, a player who ended the previous season at Rank 20 qualifies for 8 bonus chevrons at the beginning of the next season to start immediately at Rank 23 (rather than at Rank 30).

Well, copy paste from HS, makes sure that low ranks are not completely filled with high ranking players at the start of the season.

I think I'm gravitating towards to Abyssians as my main faction. Songhai are close second. I haven't really had time to play it in earnest but I'm glad I can earn quite a bit of gold without playing too much.

@Nordicus, sorry didn't see your message in game.

Nordicus

Well, copy paste from HS, makes sure that low ranks are not completely filled with high ranking players at the start of the season.
Yeah, thank god for that. I'm pushing Duelyst pretty hard on my Steam friends and it would be a shame if the ranked matches were borderline impenetrable for the first week or two. Made a quick sheet of how the ranks will change between seasons

QqQbDRY.png

I think I'm gravitating towards to Abyssians as my main faction. Songhai are close second. I haven't really had time to play it in earnest but I'm glad I can earn quite a bit of gold without playing too much.
Yeah. There is a point where wins start only giving 5 gold per 2 wins, but at that point I'm usually sick of playing for the rest of the day. By the way, Abyssian mirror matches are weird. You want to leave your own minions on the board to capitalize on them next turn, but you also don't want to do that in case the opponent starts applying Deathwatch themselves!

@Nordicus, sorry didn't see your message in game.
No worries mate

Looks like the game has gone Open Beta. I don't know if that applies to everyone but I assume so. Anyone who hasn't played it, check it out, it is a lot of fun.

I discovered this game shortly after it went open beta. It's a game straight out of my dreams... SRPG and CCG. I'm enjoying it and I'm debating dropping money on it, but not sure yet.

Is there any way to see how far you are from unlocking cards for a faction?

Nordicus

Is there any way to see how far you are from unlocking cards for a faction?
As far as seeing what your current faction level is, no, you can "only" see that progress after a match has ended. But when you go to your Collection and press the Crafting button, you will see what cards you've still to unlock and at what level.

Iirc, every faction unlocks a new card at levels 1, 4, 7 and 10.

Level 11 you get a free booster pack.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
New minions effect look so nice.

pjcompilation.gif

preview__r1848251181.gif

I am pretty busy and havent play the game for a while :(
I just have to say that the animation in this game is incredible. I only played the tutorial but I'm liking it so far. It reminds me of the excellent F2P game Card Hunter in some ways.

ACE 1991

Man, divine bound is one strong card. Every game I win is because of that card.

Is there a way to make the game look less pixelated? A screen size to resolution ratio? The art is great, but is too blown up. Also, any good Lyonar decks you guys recommend that don't need a ton of extra cards outside of basic?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Getting Pyro'd to the face is always fun. Dat ball of fire gives warm feels.

V_Arnold

Apparently swarms of new players have arrived because many Hearthstone players are frustrated with Blizzard's behaviour, the RNG and the current stale meta. Since the thread asking for Hearthstone alternatives on Reddit mere days ago, Duelyst sub-reddit subscriber count has doubled.

Also!

PCGamer (Tom Marks): Duelyst Is My Favorite New Card Game Since Hearthstone

I am not gonna lie: I think this game is better and more fair than Hearthstone, even in its current state. It has WAY more options when it comes to tactics.

1. You can reshuffle and draw a new card each turn, and get 2 cards per turn in addition to that
2. You have a champion who is able to do damage without attachments needed, so that is even more reliable
3. Even bullshit cards can be less bullshitty when spacing is introduced to the field

And the rewards are way more generous, less wins needed to buy packs, etc. Its just great!

Nordicus

I am not gonna lie: I think this game is better and more fair than Hearthstone, even in its current state. It has WAY more options when it comes to tactics.

1. You can reshuffle and draw a new card each turn, and get 2 cards per turn in addition to that
The drawing speed, reliability of spells/removal and small hand size also mean that the meta *should* not come down to summon your one biggest minion on curve. Even Magmar with their powerful beefy minions have to give the minion additional support through removal or buffs

Bizazedo

Apparently swarms of new players have arrived because many Hearthstone players are frustrated with Blizzard's behaviour, the RNG and the current stale meta. Since the thread asking for Hearthstone alternatives on Reddit mere days ago, Duelyst sub-reddit subscriber count has doubled.

Also!

Fell asleep watching Dog play HS last night. Woke up and he was playing this with a referral code at the top. Got intrigued, started playing.

....man, I'm gonna spend $$ aren't I :(. I also got a Spelljammer in my first "pack", I think it's a legendary, but seems underwhelming.

Nordicus

Fell asleep watching Dog play HS last night. Woke up and he was playing this with a referral code at the top. Got intrigued, started playing.

....man, I'm gonna spend $$ aren't I :(. I also got a Spelljammer in my first "pack", I think it's a legendary, but seems underwhelming.
It is not just underwhelming, it's the worst legendary. Gonna get buffed eventually so you may keep it until a balance patch changes it to get 900 spirit, or 350 if you can't wait and want some basic cards or an epic right now

Bizazedo

It is not just underwhelming, it's the worst legendary. Gonna get buffed eventually so you may keep it until a balance patch changes it to get 900 spirit, or 350 if you can't wait and want some basic cards or an epic right now

I now have two of them :(.

Didn't play long enough to get to gold, so missed out on Khymera. Only had like two day, tho, so not stressing too hard.

Nordicus

I now have two of them :(.

Didn't play long enough to get to gold, so missed out on Khymera. Only had like two day, tho, so not stressing too hard.
Aah right, should show the new monthly cards here

I put a Grailmaster and 2 Firestarters in a gimmicky Vanar wall/buff/transform deck. The firestarters in particular have had some fun results, the 1/1 rush make for decent buff vehicles

Bizazedo

Nice ideas. Still not enough cards here to go crazy, but enjoying Lyonar so far.

I will say one thing...they need to zoom in / make the board bigger. By a lot. Way too much wasted background on the background art / tooltips and words are too small. It's annoying and also kills the streaming possibilities.

It's really bad.

Nice ideas. Still not enough cards here to go crazy, but enjoying Lyonar so far.

I will say one thing...they need to zoom in / make the board bigger. By a lot. Way too much wasted background on the background art / tooltips and words are too small. It's annoying and also kills the streaming possibilities.

It's really bad.

I constantly try to zoom in with my mouse wheel. Really hope they add it.

Just started playing this yesterday and I wish there was a way to play against AI 1v1.

I just keep losing every game and its taking awhile to get the base cards for a faction.

Top Bottom