• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

Jhoan

After putting it down for over a year and renewing my XBL Gold subscription, I played through a good chunk of it this weekend and made a ton of progress way up to last night before I put it down. I'm playing the vanilla version on 360 but I will say that playing offline without any human effigies to farm was a royal pain in the ass. Thankfully skeletons drop some and I got a bonfire ascetic that I burned in Majula to further help.

There's so much optional things to do and return to if one area/boss is kicking my ass. I finally beat the Ruin Sentinels last night using dual maces +2 then playing keep away and poking at the last two remaining sentinels. The spin to win attack is definitely the cheapest thing. It felt amazing when I beat them since they frustrated me like no other boss in this game.

As for how much progress I made, I made it through the (boss spoilers ahead)
Skeleton trio bosses (easy once I figured out how to kite them and kill their spawns)
, defeated
Royal Rat Vanguard (another easy albeit, mob boss)
and took out
Covetous Demon (took me a few tries but also pretty easy)
and I'm near another boss to another new area. I also payed to access
The Gutter.

I honestly don't know what kind of build to go for. I've been using a melee build mostly with a STR, some points pumped into DEX, and 10 Faith in addition to using Pyromancy. Swords and clubs has been my game so far. Adaptability is at 98 at the moment. Also been using a upgraded Adventurer armor set and a Drangleic shield but I feel like I might venture out and try new mixed sets.

The game has grown on me a bit more after making a ton of progress. Not a fan of invading PVP stuff/getting invaded while hollow as I've gotten destroyed by someone using an ultra greatsword and another person using a naked build fist type weapon. I've yet to try out the co-op stuff since I want to progress through it some more before doing that. It seems like many boss encounters were made with co-op in mind. If anyone is still playing the vanilla version on 360, do shoot me an FR. My GT is in my bio.

Lost Bastille is just god-tier level design. There are secrets within secrets, like the many illusory walls and the dark hole you can drop down by rolling from ledge to beam. There are many shortcuts and rewarding NPCs you can find. The chance encounters with Pursuer are terrifying. The traps and ambushes are deliciously evil (like anything involving an exploding enemy in a tight room, lol). Tons of verticality and interconnectedness. Just amazing stuff, and I like the bits of lore you can deduce from the Ruin Sentinels, Lost Sinner, prisoners like Straid, etc.

While I enjoyed this area, I didn't think it was that good. I much prefer the colorfulness of Heide's Tower of Flame and the Cathedral of the Blue. Also, the Viking themed No Man's Warf and The Gutter were unique and interesting areas that utilize the torch mechanic. The Gutter is the closest thing I've felt this game has gotten to DeS and DaS in terms of atmosphere. I haven't finished the game so there might be a lot more cool areas to see.

Lost Bastille is just god-tier level design. There are secrets within secrets, like the many illusory walls and the dark hole you can drop down by rolling from ledge to beam. There are many shortcuts and rewarding NPCs you can find. The chance encounters with Pursuer are terrifying. The traps and ambushes are deliciously evil (like anything involving an exploding enemy in a tight room, lol). Tons of verticality and interconnectedness. Just amazing stuff, and I like the bits of lore you can deduce from the Ruin Sentinels, Lost Sinner, prisoners like Straid, etc.

It's probably my favourite level in the game. It's very intricate with a lot of different paths, and even the possibility of skipping the boss altogether. I also like how dense the level is and how you can end up on walls beside paths you traverses a couple of hours of exploration earlier. Just very dense level design.

Neiteio

It's probably my favourite level in the game. It's very intricate with a lot of different paths, and even the possibility of skipping the boss altogether. I also like how dense the level is and how you can end up on walls beside paths you traverses a couple of hours of exploration earlier. Just very dense level design.
Do you mean you can skip the Ruin Sentinels? And if so, how?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dragonslayer Spear faith build?
Hmm, interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Agreed. It's possibly my favourite level of the game. I spent so much time exploring every nook and cranny, going blind, and it was always very rewarding.

Vanilla version didn't have Pursuers in it either. Now I'm scared. :D

Do you mean you can skip the Ruin Sentinels? And if so, how?
I don't know if SotFS changed that, but in the vanilla game, if you arrived from No Man's Wharf, and used a Pharros Lockstone, you could open up an elevator that would take you to Sinner's Rise, completely bypassing the Sentinels area.

I don't know if SotFS changed that, but in the vanilla game, if you arrived from No Man's Wharf, and used a Pharros Lockstone, you could open up an elevator that would take you to Sinner's Rise, completely bypassing the Sentinels area.

Actually, it's even more intricate. You have to find a key in the part of the level which you reach from The Pursuer and then use that and a lockstone in the area which you reach from the Wharf. It's like a mini-puzzle.

In other words, out of the three bosses Pursuer, Flexile Sentry and Sentinels any one of them is skippable, if you do the other two. I thought that was really cool.

Neiteio

Hi Op,
where can I get the game for 20$?
I've had the ps3 version and I want this for cheap.

Are you saying you want to try the PS4 version? I don't know where you can get it for $20, but if you're willing to spend just $18 more, it's available on Amazon for $38.

hydrophilic attack said:
Actually, it's even more intricate. You have to find a key in the part of the level which you reach from The Pursuer and then use that and a lockstone in the area which you reach from the Wharf. It's like a mini-puzzle.

In other words, out of the three bosses Pursuer, Flexile Sentry and Sentinels any one of them is skippable, if you do the other two. I thought that was really cool.
This is amazing. I love it. I always think it's cool when bosses are skippable. I personally go after every boss, but it's nice when you can become stronger fighting other bosses in the meantime, and then come back when you're ready.

Morrigan Stark said:
Vanilla version didn't have Pursuers in it either. Now I'm scared. :D
Yeah, it's really sneaky how they appear, too. You'll be dealing with a mob in a courtyard, and then all of the sudden Pursuer will materialize behind you. I just NOPE, NOPE, NOPE my way out of there when that happens. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to follow you from room to room. If you run away a few rooms and wait, you'll eventually hear the "whoosh" of him phasing out of the area. Then it's generally safe to go back to where you were.

Neiteio

So tonight I decided to explore the Shaded Woods and Shaded Ruins. I did this until I was out of the de-petrifying items (including the one available from the merchant in Majula). Since there is a petrified person blocking my way to what I presume is the boss of the ruins, I decided to go back to the Lost Bastille and Belfry Luna. I defeated the Belfry Gargoyles, using pine resin to power up my club. The fight played out such that I was juggling at least four gargoyles at one point. Afterward I went to Huntsman's Copse and defeated the Skeleton Lords. My club actually broke during the fight, requiring me to clean up the remaining soldiers with a hand axe. I one-shot the battle (I imagine most people do), but it sure was frantic.

Eager to continue, but it'll have to wait a night or two. :)

Greddleok

Had an awesome fight with Velstadt last night. One of my favourite moments so far. We were both swinging at each other with our maces, except I was dodging behind and chipping his HP down. When he had what looked like 1 hit worth of HP left, I stood my ground and swung.

We both slammed our maces down on each other at the same point, but I had a slither of HP left, while he was killed. Felt amazing.

Bliddo

I never really liked DS2, I stopped playing at the shrine of winter.
After bloodborne I did another run of Dark souls 1, and left wanting for more I bought DS2: SOTFS.
This time it really clicked with me and I ended up getting the platinum trophy.
The darklurker fight was amazing in every way, even the horrible runback. By far my favourite boss of the serie.

And I looooooved the random Pursuers peppered in the levels. I used to be terrified of that guy, now I can crush him with ease. Such a great design on that enemy...

Jobbs

Banned
Just started playing this recently. I played DSII on PS3 but never the DLC.

So far I'm ambivalent about the spawn changes and more shit locked away by yore. I'm holding judgement on the yore stuff, but the spawns -- at least early -- Often feel conflicting with the level design, often feeling like an angrily made mod rather than an off the shelf game. There was something cool and special about the lone hieide knight hanging around the tree in FOTFG, for instance, and him being gone robs the experience of some character. Likewise, the overabundance of these fuckers in the tower of flame area -- especially once they start aggroing -- Just feels really annoying, especially for a rusty or new player. They will aggro nearly from across the map.

Maybe my impressions will change, but he first few areas, at least in terms of enemy spawn locations, feels kind of overly naughty and not necessarily natural to the flow of the game.

Dark areas actually being dark is good, though. That I like.

Afrocious

I, too, am kinda wary about the game considering what I hear about the new changes being HARDER, FASTER, and STRONGER. It kinda defeats the purpose of being a Dark Souls game, but then again, DS2 did that already in spades in vanilla despite being a good game.

Did you do any PVP in Belfry Luna?

Yes, I too was a Gangbanger.

Neiteio

And I looooooved the random Pursuers peppered in the levels. I used to be terrified of that guy, now I can crush him with ease. Such a great design on that enemy...
Yeah, Pursuer is badass. If this game had amiibo, he's one I'd want! (Oh god, Dark Souls amiibo...)

So far I've seen him appear twice in Forest of Fallen Giants (once as a boss, and once in a normal area), and I've seen him in like four or five different places at Lost Bastille. I wonder if he'll show up anywhere else...

Jobbs

Banned
If t here was any line of Dark Souls figures -- Figmas, nendos, figuarts, hell, even funkpops -- I'd ahve to buy them. Who wouldn't want an artorias or a sunbro?

Neiteio

Some of these NPCs are surprising. In the Shaded Ruins, I nearly did a drop attack on a giant half-man/half-scorpion. Thankfully I tried locking onto him and realized I couldn't, meaning he was either an NPC or like one of those ghost enemies. I cautiously approached him and saw I could talk to him, although he appears to be sleeping or something. Hmm...

gdt

Some of these NPCs are surprising. In the Shaded Ruins, I nearly did a drop attack on a giant half-man/half-scorpion. Thankfully I tried locking onto him and realized I couldn't, meaning he was either an NPC or like one of those ghost enemies. I cautiously approached him and saw I could talk to him, although he appears to be sleeping or something. Hmm...

Look at the Cat in Majula inventory...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My friend sniped him with his bow the first time. He also attacked another friendly but um, dubious-looking NPC in Bloodborne. He's such an NPC racist. :D

try ring

abaldwin360

Neo Member

I never even found that guy on my first play-though. In fact there was a ton of stuff I missed my first time around.

Neiteio

Look at the Cat in Majula inventory...

My friend sniped him with his bow the first time. He also attacked another friendly but um, dubious-looking NPC in Bloodborne. He's such an NPC racist. :D

try ring

there's a character that sells a ring that allows you to hear the voices of some enemies...
A ring from the cat... Got it! I don't think I would've thought to try that.

@ Morrigan Stark: I know -exactly- the NPC he killed in BB, haha.
Patches the Spider, I presume.

Neiteio

Yup, that's the one, lol.
LOL, I don't blame him

It's reached the point in DS2 where when I see something humanoid sitting on the ground, I'll go up to it and practically grind against it waiting to see if it gets up and attacks me.

Most of the time it's an undead who stirs awake and is like, "Duh hell" and proceeds to attack, but you never know!

Yes, I too was a Gangbanger.

I grinded this covenant and the rat one hard for titanite chunks and lockstones, respectively. There is no shame in that!

I also very much enjoyed occasionally being on the receiving end of these two covenants. While the odds will be stacked against you, there are in both cases a few things that work in your favour, and you feel like such a badass if you pull off a win.

ramyeon

I'm going to try and get into this again. My biggest issue at the moment is the insane number of stats and whatnot. It's very confusing coming from the more streamlined stat system of Bloodborne. What should I be investing in from the get go? I have heard that Adaptability is a must in order to get better dodge rolls, how often do I need to invest in that stat and to what point should I get it?

I'm going to try and get into this again. My biggest issue at the moment is the insane number of stats and whatnot. It's very confusing coming from the more streamlined stat system of Bloodborne. What should I be investing in from the get go? I have heard that Adaptability is a must in order to get better dodge rolls, how often do I need to invest in that stat and to what point should I get it?

This gets muddier if you want to be a spellcaster, but here goes:

1. Find a weapon you like
2. Level strength and dexterity until you meet the equip requirements for that weapon
3. Level the most relevant scaling stat for your weapon (strength/dex) if you want more damage, vigor if you want more health, and endurance if you want more stamina
4. If you like rolling to dodge attacks, level adaptability until you have 100 agility
5. Level vitality to increase your maximum equip load so your rolls are better with heavier equipment. This stat could either be hugely important to you or irrelevant depending on how heavy you like your gear to be

Neiteio

Ramyeon, I know you enjoyed the dodging in Bloodborne. To get to something resembling that, in terms of invincibility frames, you'll need to level up Adaptability (ADP), which in turn increases Agility (AGL). When Agility is around 100, your character will feel more like Bloodborne... well, while they're naked, anyways. You'll need to level up Vitality, which increases your equip load, which is how well you move as you equip armor and weapons. Remember, Vitality is different from Vigor, the latter being your HP!

Generally speaking, in the beginning, I recommend you wear armor and use a shield when dealing with enemies, and roll away from them to feel out their attacks and identify an opening with lots of cooldown. Then you punish accordingly. Once you meet a boss, I find it's helpful to take off your armor so you can roll faster and farther. Once you beat the boss, cash in your souls at a bonfire — you should be able to level up six or seven times. I recall being able to level up like nine times after one boss.

Let's say you're able to level up seven times after beating a boss — put three points toward Adaptability, and then one point in each other category you'd like (let's say Vitality, Endurance, Vigor and Strength). Keep doing this as you beat each boss, and you'll be around 100+ AGL and a good equip load (under 70% when you look at the Equipment screen) in due time.

NOTE: Level up using your normal souls. Don't use the "Soul of [Boss]" items. Save them for when you've researched the weapons/armor they can create.

Also, try to preserve your human effigies. These restore your max health. Every time you die, your max health is shortened, but human effigies restore it. Try to save effigies for bosses. There are quite a few in the game (so far), but I recommend trying to do as much as you can as a hollow before restoring your humanity.

Also, if you can kill the ogre at the very beginning of the game, you get a ring that increases poise (your ability to not be staggered). It's a slight increase, but it's nice to have. You might want to come back and fight the ogre when you're stronger, although I managed to beat it when I started the game.

Neiteio

2. Level strength and dexterity until you meet the equip requirements for that weapon
3. Level the most relevant scaling stat for your weapon (strength/dex) if you want more damage, vigor if you want more health, and endurance if you want more stamina
4. If you like rolling to dodge attacks, level adaptability until you have 100 agility
5. Level vitality to increase your maximum equip load so your rolls are better with heavier equipment. This stat could either be hugely important to you or irrelevant depending on how heavy you like your gear to be
Isn't Vigor the stat for equip load? I thought Vitality was health.

ramyeon

Ramyeon, I know you enjoyed the dodging in Bloodborne. To get to something resembling that, in terms of invincibility frames, you'll need to level up Adaptability (ADP), which in turn increases Agility (AGL). When Agility is around 100, your character will feel more like Bloodborne... well, while they're naked, anyways. You'll need to level up Vitality, which increases your equip load, which is how well you move as you equip armor and weapons. Remember, Vitality is different from Vigor, the latter being your HP!

Generally speaking, in the beginning, I recommend you wear armor and use a shield when dealing with enemies, and roll away from them to feel out their attacks and identify an opening with lots of cooldown. Then you punish accordingly. Once you defeat a boss, I find it's helpful to take off your armor so you can roll faster and farther. Once you beat the boss, cash in your souls at a bonfire — you should be able to level up six or seven times. I recall being able to level up like nine times after one boss.

Let's say you're able to level up seven times after beating a boss — put three points toward Adaptability, and then one point in each other category you'd like (let's say Vitality, Endurance, Vigor and Strength). Keep doing this as you beat each boss, and you'll be around 100+ AGL and a good equip load (under 70% when you look at the Equipment screen) in due time.

NOTE: Level up using your normal souls. Don't use the "Soul of [Boss]" items. Save them for when you've researched the weapons/armor they can create.

Also, try to preserve your human effigies. These restore your max health. Every time you die, your max health is shortened, but human effigies restore it. Try to save effigies for bosses. There are quite a few in the game (so far), but I recommend trying to do as much as you can as a hollow before restoring your humanity.

Also, if you can kill the ogre at the very beginning of the game, you get a ring that increases poise (your ability to not be staggered). It's a slight increase, but it's nice to have. You might want to come back and fight the ogre when you're stronger, although I managed to beat it when I started the game.
Great stuff, thanks for this guys. This has cleared up a lot. I definitely got confused with Vigor/Vitality too when I was looking at the level up screen. Need to get some souls to invest in a shield I think. What are the major differences between the ones first sold in town? Seems to be a small, medium and large one available. I started as a Knight for what it's worth. Still using the starting broadsword, found a short sword but I need more Dex to use it.

I did kill that first ogre and get the ring - was actually really tough! Still need to adjust to the speed of this as well as not using Triangle to heal haha.

Edit: Ended up going with the Kite Shield - seems like a good middle ground between the smaller buckler and the Great Shield. I'm a bit lost as to how parrying works. I can definitely pull them off, it even has a similar sound that Bloodborne did when you successfully do it. How do I then pull of a Riposte (That's what the Visceral Attack-like action is called in Dark Souls right?) though?

Neiteio

Great stuff, thanks for this guys. This has cleared up a lot. I definitely got confused with Vigor/Vitality too when I was looking at the level up screen. Need to get some souls to invest in a shield I think. What are the major differences between the ones first sold in town? Seems to be a small, medium and large one available. I started as a Knight for what it's worth. Still using the starting broadsword, found a short sword but I need more Dex to use it.

I did kill that first ogre and get the ring - was actually really tough! Still need to adjust to the speed of this as well as not using Triangle to heal haha.

Edit: Ended up going with the Kite Shield - seems like a good middle ground between the smaller buckler and the Great Shield. I'm a bit lost as to how parrying works. I can definitely pull them off, it even has a similar sound that Bloodborne did when you successfully do it. How do I then pull of a Riposte (That's what the Visceral Attack-like action is called in Dark Souls right?) though?
I'm not sure about how to parry/riposte in this, but to answer your shield question, when looking at the stats, hit Start to highlight each stat and see what it does. An ideal shield will give you 100 physical damage reduction, meaning you can block a physical attack and take no damage from it. I think the kite shield might be one of those. Another is found just past Pursuer, a boss in Forest of Fallen Giants — once you defeat him, continue along the ramparts and drop down when you see a gap in the ledge... You'll find a Drangleic armor set that includes a Drangleic shield, which is excellent.

NEO0MJ

If t here was any line of Dark Souls figures -- Figmas, nendos, figuarts, hell, even funkpops -- I'd ahve to buy them. Who wouldn't want an artorias or a sunbro?

Well, they're making statues for Bloodborne though the only one revealed was that lame-hunter used in promo material.

ramyeon

I'm not sure about how to parry/riposte in this, but to answer your shield question, when looking at the stats, hit Start to highlight each stat and see what it does. An ideal shield will give you 100 physical damage reduction, meaning you can block a physical attack and take no damage from it. I think the kite shield might be one of those. Another is found just past Pursuer, a boss in Forest of Fallen Giants — once you defeat him, continue along the ramparts and drop down when you see a gap in the ledge... You'll find a Drangleic armor set that includes a Drangleic shield, which is excellent.
Cheers! Guess there'll be a steep learning curve in this for awhile. Still mostly getting my head around stuff rather than doing much progression. It looks great on PS4 though, no doubt about that. The water is great and I like the DoF effect. Character models are a bit iffy but not too bad.
CMLrf_QUkAEOYAv.jpg:large

CMLrbKgUsAA0cx7.jpg:large

Neiteio

Cheers! Guess there'll be a steep learning curve in this for awhile. Still mostly getting my head around stuff rather than doing much progression. It looks great on PS4 though, no doubt about that. The water is great and I like the DoF effect. Character models are a bit iffy but not too bad.
Looks good! A bit of melancholic expression, like she realizes, "Dude, this place is weird!"

Majula is so beautiful. I love seaside locations. Seeing the rolling waves and jagged rock far below, it makes me swoon. <3

ramyeon

Beat the first boss, that was interesting. Definitely still getting used to the speed of this. I really wanted to just run in there, get a few hits in and then jump out but it's just not doable at least at this point. Had to be very conservative about attacking. I'm glad I'd upgraded my Estus a bit since I definitely needed them (Got it up to 4 before this fight!), the Fire Longsword I found in a pit guarded by some fire spitting frog was very useful too. I really dislike mobs in this game though, which sucks because it seems to throw them at you a LOT. Stamina management is much more of an issue here than Bloodborne too, I find myself running out really quickly (Even with the Stamina Regen + ring I found equipped).

Having fun but it's not without its frustrations.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just started Scholar myself. Only beat the first boss so far. It's fun to see all the differences with the vanilla version. I'm a bit baffled by the petrified person in the tutorial area. Is it just to block early access to
the crow
? I picked the Petrified Something just so I could try getting an early
channeler's trident
(I'm gonna use spears and poles on this guy) but the game said "nope". :( Oh well. At least I got a lucky winged spear drop super early on, and I'm rocking the halberd as my main weapon.

I also tried the early
Pursuer
on the platform but
he killed me with some dark homing magic
. :( I don't remember him doing that in the vanilla version... maybe he did as a rare attack, like [late game spoilers]
King Vendrick's magic attack
? I played it so many times though and I'm sure I never saw it.

I recently came back to this game on PC after getting stuck somewhere frustrating:
Poison Statue Hell Hole / The Rotten
. I've beaten about 4 or 5 bosses since then, since I apparently played the game out of "order" and was doing harder stuff than I should have been.

I might just stop and play Dark Souls I on PC from the Humble Bundle, which I never did finish, but the thought of fighting Ornstein and Smough again has me hesitating.

Neiteio

Beat the first boss, that was interesting. Definitely still getting used to the speed of this. I really wanted to just run in there, get a few hits in and then jump out but it's just not doable at least at this point. Had to be very conservative about attacking. I'm glad I'd upgraded my Estus a bit since I definitely needed them (Got it up to 4 before this fight!), the Fire Longsword I found in a pit guarded by some fire spitting frog was very useful too. I really dislike mobs in this game though, which sucks because it seems to throw them at you a LOT. Stamina management is much more of an issue here than Bloodborne too, I find myself running out really quickly (Even with the Stamina Regen + ring I found equipped).

Having fun but it's not without its frustrations.
You're still in the readjustment phase. I'm finding the mobs more manageable now, in part because of increased stamina and agility, but also in part from a better sense of how they work.

I don't think I found the Fire Longsword. There was a tunnel with a fire-breathing creature at the end of it &#8212; I should go back and check that out. And I don't think I went down to the pit with the fire-breathing lizards, the one near the bonfire. I'm not even sure -how- to get down there.

The first boss, Last Giant, is simpler when you realize you're supposed to target his feet. You can even cycle through different lock-on points. When he raises his foot to stomp, simply backing away will cause it to miss. Heck, you can even switch targets to his other foot and the one stomping won't hit you.

I was in the mood to praise the sun a little today

I'm finished with the main game and have started the DLCs now. But somehow I feel like starting a new character instead of continuing with this one. I don't know what to do.
I really want to try out a strenght character with a big ass weapon for the first time in a Souls game ever.

Neiteio

I was in the mood to praise the sun a little today

I'm finished with the main game and have started the DLCs now. But somehow I feel like starting a new character instead of continuing with this one. I don't know what to do.
I really want to try out a strenght character with a big ass weapon for the first time in a Souls game ever.
You can re-spec your current character and move points to Strength.

Top Bottom