• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show Me A Hero |OT| HBO Miniseries by David Simon, Starring Oscar Isaac - Sun 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachJones

Neo Member
I really don't think you should include most of that spoiler until after the final episode. Save the discussion, worthwhile a it may be, for later

... But... it's in spoiler tags. You know. For SPOILERS? Don't highlight those things. He didn't highlight it for extra emphasis.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I get the feeling that all of them are real people as opposed to being composite characters like in The Wire. You can only do so much with real people before it turns into fiction. I don't want to read up on the historical facts until after the third act has aired, so I might be totally wrong. And if I'm wrong, then at least these people feel real.

Oh, right, I spaced that this show is based on true events. The thought didn't even occur to me that the side characters might be based on real people. Still, I feel like he could be doing more with them.

This show is so damn good. Been watching one an evening for the last four days and can't wait to see final 5&6. The casting and performances have been fabulous. Had to watch the end credits because I couldn't figure out that was Catherine Keener because of the hair and glasses. Belushi in his small role was perfection. And Oscar Issac is slowly turning into one of my favorite actors. Between this and his role in Ex Machina I am sold.

I am impressed by how riveted I am by the show since it sounds like a subject matter that could turn out very dull if done improperly. I really like the moments of the everyday citizen instead of just having the backroom politics. Show has a lot of heart. I started to tear-up pretty bad when that one woman called her mama to come home. And her dad's look earlier in the ep really got me too. Powerful stuff indeed.

Sad to see this show doesn't seem that popular though judging from the amount of posts.

Timbuktu

This is so great and makes me yearn for another Simon series.

Molina plays such a perfect slime ball.

I wanted to look more into his character while watching, but it seems like Henry Spallone is the only 'recent' Yonkers mayor without a wiki article.

Molina owns his role.
That scene with brother muzone from the wire finding out about his crack fiend daughter was brutal. Dude sold that scene well,with barely any words too.
Interesting that Paul Haggis can direct race relations content without being overwrought and sledge hammered about it.
I didnt think he had subtlety in him when addressing the subject.

Blackhead

Redarse
I really like the moments of the everyday citizen instead of just having the backroom politics. Show has a lot of heart. I started to tear-up pretty bad when that one woman called her mama to come home. And her dad's look earlier in the ep really got me too. Powerful stuff indeed.

Sad to see this show doesn't seem that popular though judging from the amount of posts.
Do you speak Spanish? (Does anyone here watching understand Spanish?) I don't but Carmen is my favourite perfomance. There's that powerful scene where she's telling her friend about the phone call with all the bravado about killing the father if he doesn't return her youngest child. Then you hear the catch in her voice when she admits he hung up on her. I watched the scene again and realised she had tears in her eyes the whole time; I really felt the pain of missing her kids. This show has so many great acting performances, yeah it's a shame more people aren't watching it...
Interesting that Paul Haggis can direct race relations content without being overwrought and sledge hammered about it.
I didnt think he had subtlety in him when addressing the subject.
One subtle piece of directing that particularly struck me was when Doreen visits Namond the housing guy. They share the screen at the start of the first scene, in the establashing shot of the office, but in the back and forth of the conversation instead of the typical over-the-shoulder shots we see each person practically alone in the frame; they are cut off from each other. Then in the scene in which she comes back to demand a transfer there is no establishing shot and we jump straight into the conversation where this time, in the back and forth over-the-shoulder shots, what they share in the frame is the other person's hands holding the doctor's documents. It subtly highlights the disconnect between the desires of the claimant and the housing authority supposed to be helping her, the power imbalance (we don't actually get a shot from over her shoulder, only his) and the power of paperwork...

Anyway Sepinwall recently did a decent interview with Haggis, worth a read if you haven't already: 'Show Me a Hero' director Paul Haggis on Oscars, TV, and his love of 'The Wire'

This show does such a good job at creating the style and fashion of 87' So many other shows will maybe use 80's clothes and 80's music, but that's it. The hair stylist does a fucking fantastic job for this show. It feels so authentic. Them jeans man!

Sanjuro

He really wanted to be liked. Clearly that last loss was too much of a blow top his psyche..must of crushed his wife. Geezuz..

I wish they had more of that though.

From what I can read, the affair angle isn't anywhere in the public domain and they gave him about 20 seconds to cry in an attic to show any sort of unhinging.

I'm curious on the actuality here.

I wish they had more of that though.

From what I can read, the affair angle isn't anywhere in the public domain and they gave him about 20 seconds to cry in an attic to show any sort of unhinging.

I'm curious on the actuality here.
Considering some of those folk are still around, they probably didn't go too deep..or just plain weren't given that chunk of info. I could see sparring the wife that..I get you, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's really too bad HBO burned these episodes off at the end of summer and put their big push into True Dick and the crap that aired after it like The Brink.

But then again, they probably know that they can't convince anyone to watch a David Simon show anymore... so I just assume that this is pure patronage on their part and hope that they have some prestige left after everyone craps on everything else they've done.

But then again, they probably know that they can't convince anyone to watch a David Simon show anymore... so I just assume that this is pure patronage on their part and hope that they have some prestige left after everyone craps on everything else they've done.

Well, not to pick on Sanjuro, but he had no idea why they were showing the stories in the projects the entire show... considering that's who the entire thing was made for (nor that it doesn't mean a thing that "Desmond Hotel" details aren't important). And lots of other people are probably the same, and lots of people don't want to watch a mini-series about housing projects, the battle for them, and why this is still relevant. So, to them I say phooey.

Haggis is out of the doghouse now as far as I'm concerned. Hope he gets an Emmy. It's amazing how well crafted Simon is in these works of his. Wonderfully constructed and scripted, and I'm always impressed, even though at this point I shouldn't be, how they find relatively unknown or underutilized actors that give terrific performances.

Last two brief thoughts. One, I didn't guess correctly on what song they'd end the show on.

Two: seeing the photos of the actors and real people side by side during the credits, I'm even more convinced that they purposefully made Spallone look like Supreme Court Justice Scalia.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, not to pick on Sanjuro, but he had no idea why they were showing the stories in the projects the entire show... considering that's who the entire thing was made for (nor that it doesn't mean a thing that "Desmond Hotel" details aren't important). And lots of other people are probably the same, and lots of people don't want to watch a mini-series about housing projects, the battle for them, and why this is still relevant. So, to them I say phooey.

Haggis is out of the doghouse now as far as I'm concerned. Hope he gets an Emmy. It's amazing how well crafted Simon is in these works of his. Wonderfully constructed and scripted, and I'm always impressed, even though at this point I shouldn't be, how they find relatively unknown or underutilized actors that give terrific performances.

Last two brief thoughts. One, I didn't guess correctly on what song they'd end the show on.

Two: seeing the photos of the actors and real people side by side during the credits, I'm even more convinced that they purposefully made Spallone look like Supreme Court Justice Scalia.

It's funny, because this is an adaptation, it feels really tight and complete. Much like Generation Kill did. It's like everything good about the procedural aspects of bureaucracy that Simon covers so well, but in 6 hours in stead of 5 seasons.

I can see how there is absolutely no audience for this - and the fact that both this and Treme were completely ignored by GAF while the infinitely inferior True Dick and Game of Thrones can spawn hundreds of posts is a sign of that. I think I've just accepted that no one will watch a Simon show - and while he even threatened to quit TV because no one cared about Treme, I'm glad he seems to just accepted his lot in life as the reliable prestige guy that HBO funds every few years. I think at this point he can also move on from being beholden to The Wire for the rest of his life, because three good shows after that means it wasn't some kind of fluke or something.

lednerg

So yeah, I was in tears multiple times these last two episodes. Still kind of shook up, actually.

I smartly avoided reading about the history and people beforehand, and it definitely paid off. Shame that Sanjuro spoiled it for himself.

The HBOGO version has extra content after episodes 4 and 6, so be sure check that out. Skip to 1:01:00 for ep 4, if you don't want the next episode spoilers.

KingKong

I assume this and Treme are as much sbout prestiges for HBO as they are about humoring him and hoping for another big hit. I think their patience ran out with Milch though

I assume this and Treme are as much sbout prestiges for HBO as they are about humoring him and hoping for another big hit. I think their patience ran out with Milch though

Another big hit? If David Simon had a hit it would be his very first one. The Wire got abysmal ratings and was in danger of being canceled multiple times.

He's a genius, but no one has ever watched his shows.

Wow. This show was a masterpiece through and through. Final episode was incredible. And man, I sure did cry a few times.

Gotta say that it brought a smile to my face to see Clarke Peters show up for a bit. Loved him as "Big Chief" in Treme. Still in awe at how well cast and great the performances were in this show. Even those in relatively few scenes left an impression on me. Seeing the housing units finally come to fruition and having the characters we've been following reside there was really satisfying to me (started to feel the anxiety pretty hard during the lottery scene though)

Glad I didn't read anything about the events that the story was based on. And seeing the real faces next to the actors at the very end was a nice touch. If I were to give a rating is give this show a 9.5/10. Best surprise I've had on tv in a while.

Also, it felt like I was watching the 80's for real. Hair, clothes, cars, everything was just spot on in this regard.

Sanjuro

I know exactly why they were highlighted. I just didn't find any of them compelling for the duration of the program.

I'm still left with a very positive view of the show overall.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
Wow, another fantastic David Simon show. They really nailed the 80s look at feel and feel and so many strong performances all around.

As others have said, I'm also really glad I didn't end up spoiling it for myself, by looking up the people involved.

Really glad Simon didn't end up quitting TV shows, like he said he would. Looking at his wiki, there should also be some good stuff, that he's involved with coming up. If they all come to fruition, that is.

Siegcram

Great to see all the positive impressions on here. I have all the episodes queued up and will hopefully find time for it this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom