• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alekhine's Gun PS4/XB1/PC, Cold War action/adventure

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Why isn't there more hype for this? this looks like the Blood Money 2 we always wanted and it's releasing so soon, November 10 which is btw. a huge mistake since Nov 10 is Fallout 4 day lol but besides that the game looks pretty good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRIABBZ5FE

That possible new release date isnt much better than the current one for me, out the week before Deus Ex, Mirrors Edge and Far Cry Primal...!

SentryDown

Just came across this trailer on the Playstation channel, it may (or may not) be interesting, will follow it. Does anybody have seen previews of this ? I can't find an article online

I saw this pop up on the PlayStation YouTube channel yesterday and thought it might be some kind of crazy chess game since Alekhine's Gun is a chess term. then I watched the trailer and laughed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Saw the trailer for this in Playstation Youtube channel. The unchanging expression of the protagonist's face when he does stuff is quite funny--seems like a massively lower budget Hitman game at a glance.

Foffy

Banned
Wasn't it actually supposed to come out on the 10th of this month? And then they just delayed it again..?

Isn't it really bad that with the delay, they once again put the game at direct risk of being in the crossfire of Hitman, which this game are clearly inspired by?

Briarios

I have no idea if this is the new price or not, but Amazon currently has it up for pre-order at $29.99 with a crossed out $49.99, as if it is a special. Anyway, you can pre-order without being charged just to hold it at that price.

Gamestop, Best Buy, and other locations still have it at $49.99.

El-Suave

The new trailer looks better, I thought it was some money laundry scheme when I saw the first one and that this is coming to retail.

Skux

"Alekhine" is actually pronounced "Al-yeh-khin", after the Alyesha tree. Not "al-ah-kyne".

"I remembered that Alekhine used to get angry if his name was pronounced Al-YOH-khin, the way Russians sometimes pronounced it. The correct Russian pronunciation, he said, was Al-YEH-khin, explaining that the name was derived from that of a tree (*alyesha*) that grew abundantly near one of his family's estates."

-Hans Kmoch (in Chess Cafe document)

MUnited83

For you.
Uh, I loved the hell out of the other games, great hitman-like games but in war times instead. I'm very interested on this but I can't believe they chose the exact same release date as HITMAN. It doesn't seem like a smart move. (Unless they count on HITMAN being kinda "eh" and people and gaming sites bringing attention to this game instead for their Hitman fill). That would be a looooong shot.

Since Hitman is episodic releasing and this game will have all 11 levels at once. If this game gets above average reviews I can see some people picking it up. About time Hitman had some competition. I'm hoping the levels are blood money sized with many ways to plan the execution. The one thing it seems to missing is Hitmans black sense of humour, who can forget dressing up as a children's entertainer to kill a snitch in witness protection!

Lego Boss

I've overlooked this. Looks like it could be a sleeper hit especially at that sub-AAA price point. Will help scratch the itch of waiting for Deus Ex as I'm not that hyped for Hitman, the episodic content just isn't doing it for me.

dreamfall

Watched the developer and art asset playthroughs and I'm really excited about this. It's looking solid, I hope it turns out great- the level they showed off looked really huge. I hope the disguise system works well, and releasing it right before Hitman could be great.

NoPiece

Is it worth going back and playing either of the Death to Spies games? I completely missed this series, and it looks pretty interesting - how rough around the edges are they?

Is there a review embargo for this? I know nothing about this game, but I can't cancel it as it is part of my Mafia III pre-order deal :D. Very curious to see if it is going to be any good.

Vintage

Death to Spies 2 is the best hitman game after Blood money. I've been cautiously waiting for this game since forever (I think it was announced in 2010), but damn, these constant delays over delays doesn't promise anything good...

Meneses

Smart to launch so close to Hitman, people will inevitably want more considering Hitman's release strategy and this game could be an interesting option, if it turns out to be decent.

Karak

Reached out to them a couple times to get a review version as I am a big fan of Death to Spies. Either way I am going to be playing this.
Awesome they finally returned my email. So hopefully I can do console to at least cover the gameplay since the PC is delayed...oddly.

Oneself

It looks technically terrible on PS4 but it looks quite fun honestly. I don't know if I should open my copy or get a refund.

BTW, since when has Hitman become a technical benchmark on consoles? Except for Absolution, it's never been not average looking and somewhat jerky.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So been playing this since yesterday and it has major issues in terms of performance and it looks horrendous but I can get past that but the most annoying thing is the brightness. Some levels look ok but the ones featured in the day or certain areas at night are awfully dark to the point I cant see much. Its so limited in options that you can't adjust anything visual wise and it doesn't even offer invert controls for the camera.

dreamfall

So been playing this since yesterday and it has major issues in terms of performance and it looks horrendous but I can get past that but the most annoying thing is the brightness. Some levels look ok but the ones featured in the day or certain areas at night are awfully dark to the point I cant see much. Its so limited in options that you can't adjust anything visual wise and it doesn't even offer invert controls for the camera.

Yeah holy goodness. Playing on the PS4, there are some serious issues with the brightness settings. I can't see anything and a shadow box appears when I move the camera around.

I want to enjoy it, but there are some massive performance issues :/

Teggy

Yeah, I will definitely wait until later in the year when PC has gotten a bunch of patches and buy it there. Assuming there really is a fun game under all the jank.

Top Bottom