• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Himuro
Banned
(07-12-2006, 07:58 AM)
Releases in 2 days, boys. Won't be as in depth as my Suikoden V official thread......yet.

Official Site

http://www.atlus.co.jp/cs/game/pstation2/persona3/

Huge Preview

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/persona3/

Impression snippets

So far, the story line is a big unknown. I have no clue why things are happening because the game gives no explainations for different weird characters and events. I'm sure things will be clear later on. The game keeps track of the days of the month it is, and each day you much go to school and answer a question about the days lecture. If you get it right, you get a stat boost.

When you are in battle, you can analyze the enemy to figure out it's weaknesses. Against a new enemy type, it takes a certain amount of turns for the process to finish. Once you've analyzed an enemy, the data is kept so you don't have to do it again on the same enemy type. When you figure out the enemy's weakness, you can attack with the corresponding type of attack to stun it. When you stun an enemy, you gain an extra turn. You can actually keep on stunning enemies till all of them is stunned, then you can do a group combo attack. At the end of the battle, sometimes there will be a "shuffle time" where you pick a card from a shuffled list of cards to earn new persona, items, or secret cards.

There is a community system, I'm guessing it's how familiar you are with your party members. Not sure how this affects the gameplay so far. It doesn't seem like you can control your party members in combat, so you need to check equipments before you enter the dungeons. You actually access skills and menu of your party members in between battle by talking to them. When they level up, they actually speak to you after battle and tells you that they leveled up.

When you are running around in the dungeon, you can run up to enemies and attack them to get a preemptive strike.

The progression of the story outside of the "dungeon" gameplay is a very nice school life simulation of sorts. You basically see parts of every day, if something interesting happens. There's usually a class or so were you can answer a question or decide between staying awake or sleeping through it.

At night is when the game turns into a full dungeon RPG. There's a huge tower called Tataros and every floor is randomly generated. There's a minimap where you can see enemies slightly before you actually see them on your screen. You use O to swing your sword, and if you hit the enemy you get Player Advantage in the battle. If the enemy sees you and attacks you before you hit it, it's Enemy Advantage. So basically each floor has limited enemies and there are no random encounters. There are random treasures around each floor too, as well as stairs to the next floor. There are also sometimes teleporters on certain floors that allow you to return to the entrance if you've had enough. In battles you only control the main character, and the game only ends if your main character dies. When any other character dies, after a turn or two he/she "wakes up" with 1-2 HP. The other characters are AI controlled. When not in battle you can also split up the party of 3 and the other two people will wander the floor of the dungeon on their own and fight enemies on their own too. When you regroup, they'll give you any treasures they've found. When you get into an encounter when seperated you'll have to take on enemies yourself. It's a really interesting system and is REALLY addictive for dungeon crawling fans.

The whole leveling up experience is split between night time and day time. During the day time, you play a dating sim like framework with the main character to level up his personal stats. In the dungeon, you level up your persona through battles. You can combine and mix two or three personas to create new ones.

The thing about communities is that they are more to so with the school life sim part of the game than the dungeon part of the game. It's about building up relationships with different friends around the school and finding out more about what they like and dislike and hanging out with them. Although, if you do build them up to certain levels, you gain new Persona.

Also, there's a "tactics" option in battles where you can change the basic settings of your party members. You can make them attack a certain enemy, or put them into total passive healing modes. You still can't control exactly what they do though.

This game is REALLY excellent for the dungeon crawling/SMT/non-linear gameplay crowd but I suspect the normal JRPG crowd will really hate it. I would compare it to VP1 in terms of non-linearity in that every day after you do a major activity after school of your choice it turns to night, and it's up to you if you want to tackle the Tataros that night, or if you want to sleep/study. And every day it goes on and on at a pace that the player sets for themselves. I expect tons of "OMG NO PLOT, OMG SHITTY DUNGEON, OMG WTF IS THIS" reactions when it hits the US.

Dungeon-wise the battles can get really interesting. While the loads themselves are really fast and the battles really short, you can make them even shorter once you've memorized the weaknesses of each Shadow. When you damage an enemy with either an elemental weakness or a critical attack, they get into a "down" status which gives that character one more attack. Downed enemies also lost a turn since they have to get up on their next turn. Party members can also be hit with Down if the enemy gets your weakness, which I believe is determined by your equipped Persona. If you manage to Down all enemies in a single turn, you can do a bumrush attack with your entire party that does good damage to every enemy. But you might want to avoid that if you need to heal instead, since you'll be getting a free turn next.

The dungeon crawling and school life thing is very well balanced and integrated imo, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it. It's definitely not a game for everyone since you need to have the patience and acquired taste for dungeon crawlers, and you need to enjoy school life sim stuff. Tsu'll probably hate this game since we keep talking about the differences between games driven purely by gameplay (BoF5 for example), and games that are driven by the overall experience (MGS games).

Persona 3 is definitely one of those experience games for me, since the entire overall atmosphere and the leisurely pace of me choosing and doing what I want and progressing in the directions I want is very enjoyable. If you keep thinking of it as a game and trying to justify everything by stat boosts and gameplay development, you'll probably miss the entire point of the game.

The game is all about a high school students who are also part-time dungeon crawlers at night. So in the morning you'll be going to school, in the evening you might be having ramen with a classmate after school while he tries to nudge more information about your female party member Yuriko out of you since you board together with her, but at night you'll be dungeon crawling and hoping to get the most out of the trip by either hitting the next checkpoint or at least getting some new Persona.

Okay, so I started playing P3 today, after getting back LATE from work. It's 3:30 in the morning here, and I'm only writing my impressions now, because I've been really addicted to the game for the last few hours. I just opened up the Chariot and the Magician tarot cards, and I've been wandering about the first block of Tarutaros. My members are getting tired rather quickly, so I can't go very far up before I have to give up and turn back.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I like the way you only control your character. There's a feeling of really interacting with other real people. I split my guys up, and started wandering the dungeon, hoping to find some treasure. When I crossed paths with Junpei, he shouted to me "Bum baba bum! Junpei leveled up!"

The way the game breaks the fourth wall is quite hilarious, and a welcome addition for me.

Community wise, I've been hanging out with a classmate, I joined the swim club, and I've been trying to stay visible to rest of the SEES members. Over the weekend I decided to traverse Tarutaros by myself, and got myself killed because of a silly mistake. I didn't switch Pixie in to heal, and I paid the price.

So far, I think that P3 is an absolutely superb successor to Persona 2. I'm a big SMT fan, and in no way do I think Persona 3 is anything short of classic Persona. Persona has always been more about character development than straight up dungeon crawling, and its sort of the same way with P3. Dungeon crawling, while insanely fun (for me at least), is nothing more than a small part of a larger package: living the life of an asskicking teenager. I know a lot of people are apprehensive about the game because of its unconventional gameplay, and its random dungeons, but I absolutely love it. It's a welcome change of pace from all the derivative RPGs I've been subjected to in the past.

Review Scores

Famitsu

33/40

For reference:

Shin Megami Tensei 3: 35
DDS: 32
DDS2: 32
Devil Summoner: Kazunoha Radioh: 30
Persona 3: 33

Dengeki

90 / 90 / 95 / 80

Media

[i]gameplay videos[/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7-Dr...ch=persona%203

latest scans

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/401...3scan394kr.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/401...3scan404lz.jpg
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2...3scan415uw.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/209...3scan422ao.jpg
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/437...3scan355vp.jpg
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4...3scan360ov.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4...3scan371mw.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4...3scan380fz.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3...3scan235xp.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2...3scan242tp.jpg
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/1...3scan250be.jpg
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/5...3scan268fd.jpg

images

art

Last edited by Himuro; 07-15-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Error
Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
(07-12-2006, 07:59 AM)
meh

**** famitsu.

RPG of the year 2006/2007 holy crap :o
Greenpanda
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:00 AM)
fap fap fap

any indication yet beyond just "2007" when we'll get this in English?

oh, well, I've got Devil Summoner KR to play in the mean time :)
WalkMan
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:01 AM)

P3 Mouse Pad

P3 Tarot Cards

P3 Pin

http://www.jp.playstation.com/shoppi...2/6178301.html
Amir0x
demodded, not denutted
(07-12-2006, 08:02 AM)
eh.

i guess i'd jump for the mousepad
Himuro
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:05 AM)
First post edited with goodies. :D

I'll add more tomorrow. zzz time.
Ashodin
(07-12-2006, 08:06 AM)
yeah so, this game really looks like it's worth the scores it got in famitsu.

Maybe I'll pick it up. MAYBE.
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
(07-12-2006, 08:06 AM)
I CAN'T WAIT! :D

It's my second most anticipated RPG this year... :)

... first next year. :(
Himuro
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:07 AM)

Originally Posted by jj984jj

I CAN'T WAIT! :D

It's my second most anticipated RPG this year. :)

It would be mine if it was coming here in 2007. :(
SatelliteOfLove
(07-12-2006, 08:07 AM)
Mmmm...R&D1....*salivates uninhibitly*
jj984jj
(07-12-2006, 08:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Himuro

It would be mine if it was coming here in 2007. :(

Yeah, I forgot for a second. :(
Error
(07-12-2006, 08:11 AM)
some good quality pics

Himuro
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:12 AM)
Thanks goes to our man SSX.

I captured some from the trailers too but he did most of the image gathering.
Srider
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:13 AM)
Shit, was making a thread...... I'm playing this now.

I've never played any of the persona games before, but I was drawn to the stylish direction of this game evident from the first PV. So I picked it up as soon as it's available.

Here are some very quick impressions (playing as I'm typing this..).

There is an easy and normal mode, I'm playing on normal. The anime cutscenes are very well done. The intro is basically the anime part from the first PV. They remind me of Serial Experiment Lain, not a bad thing. The game is fully voiced for all of the key characters, very good dub as always. The graphics are really really nice in this game, very detailed texture work. Camera is rotatable when you are walking around. The music is superb, I'm definitely giong to get the OST for this.

I'll check back after I've played it a bit more. The beginning is a bunch of talking to introduce you to the setting.

I'll probably put in my capture card and make some movies, most likely tomorrow.
Error
(07-12-2006, 08:14 AM)
omg thanks srider

keep updating!
Ashodin
(07-12-2006, 08:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Srider

The game is fully voiced for all of the key characters, very good dub as always.

Never mention dub around GAF. They will rip your throat out violently then drink your blood.
FateBreaker
(07-12-2006, 08:15 AM)

The music is superb, I'm definitely giong to get the OST for this.

Excellent. Does it say who the composer is in the back of the book or in the begiining of the game? (Kenichi Tsuchiya? Shoji Meguro?)
Error
it's Shoji Meguro
Himuro
Banned
Meguro, is it not?
FateBreaker
(07-12-2006, 08:18 AM)
I was kind of hoping Tsuchiya would return (come on, he did most of the series' music), but Shoji Meguro is one of the best, so it's cool! I'm real interested in seeing his style for Persona, though.
Srider
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:19 AM)

Originally Posted by FateBreaker

Excellent. Does it say who the composer is in the back of the book or in the begiining of the game? (Kenichi Tsuchiya? Shoji Meguro?)

It's ڍi, Shoji Meguro.
Himuro
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:19 AM)

Originally Posted by FateBreaker

I was kind of hoping Tsuchiya would return (come on, he did most of the series' music), but Shoji Meguro is one of the best, so it's cool! I'm real interested in seeing his style for Persona, though.

A lot of what we've heard is a mix between metal and hip hop.
SolidSnakex
(07-12-2006, 08:28 AM)
About the soundtrack, it'll have 58 songs altogether.
Error
(07-12-2006, 08:44 AM)
someone plz update with battle impressions and stuff.
Himuro
Banned
(07-12-2006, 08:47 AM)
battle videos plz!
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(07-12-2006, 09:20 AM)
Okay, picking this up later. Yay!
Srider
Banned
(07-12-2006, 09:31 AM)
So far, the story line is a big unknown. I have no clue why things are happening because the game gives no explainations for different weird characters and events. I'm sure things will be clear later on.

The game keeps track of the days of the month it is, and each day you much go to school and answer a question about the days lecture. If you get it right, you get a stat boost. After that, weird stuff happens at night, the game seems to follow this sequence of events each day.

I've only fought an intro battle so far, it's non stop talking and cutscenes thus far. Right now, I can use persona skills by sacrificing some HP, or do normal physical attacks. There doesn't seem to be a status menu or anything like that, so I can't check to see what stats are what. I was able to see it after the battle when I leveled up however, and it's clear that there are different stats for your character and you persona. I think once the game progresses further I may have the option to pause and check stats.

I'm very impressed by the graphics and the art direction of the game. The 3d models fits very well with the look of the anime/2d art, and the music is also very fitting as well. It's so far jazzy ambient/hip hop/jpop'ish stuff so far.
Error
(07-12-2006, 09:46 AM)
thanks srider

omg omg omg omg

keep updating!
matrene
(07-12-2006, 10:03 AM)
Option for english subs,yes or no.
Srider
Banned
(07-12-2006, 10:10 AM)
Ok, now the game is actually starting....

When you are in battle, you can analyze the enemy to figure out it's weaknesses. Against a new enemy type, it takes a certain amount of turns for the process to finish. Once you've analyzed an enemy, the data is kept so you don't have to do it again on the same enemy type. When you figure out the enemy's weakness, you can attack with the corresponding type of attack to stun it. When you stun an enemy, you gain an extra turn. You can actually keep on stunning enemies till all of them is stunned, then you can do a group combo attack. At the end of the battle, sometimes there will be a "shuffle time" where you pick a card from a shuffled list of cards to earn new persona, items, or secret cards.

There is a community system, I'm guessing it's how familiar you are with your party members. Not sure how this affects the gameplay so far. It doesn't seem like you can control your party members in combat, so you need to check equipments before you enter the dungeons. You actually access skills and menu of your party members in between battle by talking to them. When they level up, they actually speak to you after battle and tells you that they leveled up.

There is also a quest menu (you can access menu in dungeons) and something called "Mixraid", both of which I am not sure exactly what they do.

When you are running around in the dungeon, you can run up to enemies and attack them to get a preemptive strike. Battle animations are well done, reminds me of the cell shaded fighting sequences of recent DBZ or Naruto games.

No English options, and no subs during anime cutscenes for those affected.
Error
(07-12-2006, 10:12 AM)
no
SolidSnakex
(07-12-2006, 10:12 AM)

Originally Posted by matrene

Option for english subs,yes or no.

In a Japanese RPG? Definetly no.
Error
(07-12-2006, 10:13 AM)

Ok, now the game is actually starting....

ok this sounds good.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :( :(

When you are running around in the dungeon, you can run up to enemies and attack them to get a preemptive strike. Battle animations are well done, reminds me of the cell shaded fighting sequences of recent DBZ or Naruto games.

wait no random battles then? what?
Last edited by Error; 07-12-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Srider
Banned
(07-12-2006, 10:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Error2k4

wait no random battles then? what?

You can see the enemies on the screen.

Oh, you can change equipments in between battle, just talk to them. So far I'm not able to control them in battle though.
Error
(07-12-2006, 10:23 AM)

Oh, you can change equipments in between battle, just talk to them. So far I'm not able to control them in battle though.

how does that works then? that sounds really shitty :(
Brobzoid
how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
(07-12-2006, 12:35 PM)
can anyone upload videos of enemies on-screen and perhaps whatever animation there is when engading the enemy from behind or whatever?

Originally Posted by Error2k4

how does that works then? that sounds really shitty :(

stfu error, it will be the greatest game ever and you will cum.
Kurosaki Ichigo
(07-12-2006, 12:53 PM)
Dengeki PS:
Persona 3 (PS2, Atlus): 90 / 90 / 95 / 80

Wtf was the 80-guy thinking...
MoxManiac
(07-12-2006, 12:57 PM)
WTF??? No control in battle?

What the balls is that
jj984jj
(07-12-2006, 01:10 PM)
Wait! Let us not jump to conclusions, maybe there is a reason you can't control the party.

Edit: I meant the rest of the party, not including the main character.
Last edited by jj984jj; 07-12-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Brobzoid
(07-12-2006, 01:29 PM)
I was under the impression that you could control your main character, but not your mates? or are you saying that you have no control? if so, there better be some ****ing great reasoning behind this! >:O
duckroll
(07-12-2006, 01:47 PM)
Okay, I picked up the game, going to play it soon. Got the pre-order bonus disc too. Lots of yummy goodies in it. The full version of the opening as well as a 13 minute mix of several tracks in the game are on the CD, and in mp3 format too! Tons of yummy wallpapers and screensavers and voice samples too. Rock! :D
RevenantKioku
PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
(07-12-2006, 02:29 PM)
I'm torn between the awesomeness of MegaTen and the pain of the headaches caused by me trying to read the Japanese. Why MegaTen gotta be so hard? :(
Brobzoid
(07-12-2006, 03:01 PM)
SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW THE **** THE BATTLES WORK!

upload vid plz? :(
WalkMan
Banned
(07-12-2006, 03:12 PM)

The future is here! No More Random Encounters!!
Joe Molotov
(07-12-2006, 03:41 PM)
Yes, please.
jj984jj
(07-12-2006, 03:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Brobzoid

SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW THE **** THE BATTLES WORK!

upload vid plz? :(

YOU CONTROL THE MAIN CHARACTER! Now relax.
Brobzoid
(07-12-2006, 03:58 PM)

Originally Posted by jj984jj

YOU CONTROL THE MAIN CHARACTER! Now relax.

<3
duckroll
(07-12-2006, 04:44 PM)
Okay, I put in a good 2-3 hours into the game so far. Hard to tell since I just lost an hour of gameplay due to DEATH! That's the only reason I'm even here typing this and not playing the game! :lol

Okay, first things first, this is most definitely a R&D1 game. When I got to the point where I had to name my character, I actually looked up the kana for the kanji characters of my Chinese name just so I could get my character named after me. I was going to call him duckroll but there was no katakana and only large caps for alphabets. Also, you have to pick a surname and a former name, so it fit. Thank god the game's database has like every single kanji in the world. :lol

The writing as expected is really good, and the characters have excellent seiyuu. The anime FMVs are so ****ing well directed, whoever's doing them needs to do a real anime. Definitely reminds me of Lain as well. The progression of the story outside of the "dungeon" gameplay is a very nice school life simulation of sorts. You basically see parts of every day, if something interesting happens. There's usually a class or so were you can answer a question or decide between staying awake or sleeping through it. After school you get to walk around the school and talk to people, or you can leave the school and check out the various other locations on the island. The day ends when you return to the boarding house.

At night is when the game turns into a full dungeon RPG. There's a huge tower called Tataros and every floor is randomly generated. There's a minimap where you can see enemies slightly before you actually see them on your screen. You use O to swing your sword, and if you hit the enemy you get Player Advantage in the battle. If the enemy sees you and attacks you before you hit it, it's Enemy Advantage. So basically each floor has limited enemies and there are no random encounters. There are random treasures around each floor too, as well as stairs to the next floor. There are also sometimes teleporters on certain floors that allow you to return to the entrance if you've had enough.

In battles you only control the main character, and the game only ends if your main character dies. When any other character dies, after a turn or two he/she "wakes up" with 1-2 HP. The other characters are AI controlled. When not in battle you can also split up the party of 3 and the other two people will wander the floor of the dungeon on their own and fight enemies on their own too. When you regroup, they'll give you any treasures they've found. When you get into an encounter when seperated you'll have to take on enemies yourself. It's a really interesting system and is REALLY addictive for dungeon crawling fans.

That's about all the game is so far, because well, I only got so far before I found some "new" enemies on the 5th floor, and decided to fight them.... but I was out of SP and low on items so well yeah, DIED. Will have to replay an entire hour again later but at least I'll know that it'll be entirely different next time round! :lol (yes there is only a save point at the entrance of the dungeon)

For those that find this too damn hardcore, there's an EASY MODE you can pick at the start which makes battles easier and gives you 10 continues throughout the entire game. The game also features the BEST soundtrack of the year I've heard in ANYTHING, movie/anime/game. :D :D :D
Dr. Kitty Muffins
(07-12-2006, 04:52 PM)
Any options for HDTV owners?
WalkMan
Banned
(07-12-2006, 04:54 PM)
How hard is it compared to the other SMT/Persona games? Harder than Nocturne?