• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Replay: No More Heroes- the final Suda51 trip. It's Kill Or Be Killed!

Dascu

I just looped blocking his combo, and then counter attacked at the end of it. Repeat... over... and over... So no damage to me, unless we count my psyche.

Yeah, you're supposed to do the dark side-step and mash the attack button. Then you often stun him so you can do a more damaging grapple move. That's still like 15-20mins of repetition though.

I have started this today. In one of the first few rooms, there were a couple of invisible enemies to kill, I assume that was a bug?
Anyway, although I have replayed this 3-5 times at this point, I for the first time found out that you can carry more than one coconut, oh my gooood... I think I also got all home runs for the first time at Dr. Peace.
I also got a decent outfit and 4 rabiwatevatof ball abilities out of the way (which is more than enough anyway).

I still remember the stupid marketing and media bullshit before the game came out...
"more violent than manhunt 2" they said, and I still don't get why people cared about that

the game was so much more than dumb violence - and it wasn't even that violent imho

In some ways it's more violent than Manhunt. I'm sure there is way more blood splatter and over the top deaths in NMH than in Manhunt. Nothing in Manhunt tops Destroymans death where he gets split in half.

If you were to compare violence between the two you can say Manhunt = Hostel. NMH = Berserk

Stopped after Shinobu yesterday, played up to Rank#1 today... Even with all its jank and after coming straight from Bloodborne, there's still something about this game...

I suggest anytime before you do the latest minigame, you choose a pizza butt mission first, because it's right next to the job center and usually takes around 10 seconds to finish. This should at least slightly reduce the grinding at the end. It also doesn't hurt taking on a side mission near the next boss fight before continuing the story, to further reduce redundant travel.

Also, a fact, if the OP still cares: The extra abilities at gold town are named after the 7 entities in Killer7.

jwillenn

I've got K7 and both NMHs, but I don't think I'll play through them. I WILL start a NMH1&2 soundtrack playlist at youtube though.

NEO0MJ

I tried playing this game twice but it never really clicked with me. How well does it run on Dolphin? Maybe third time's the charm.

He co-directed Fatal Frame IV with Makoto Shibata.

Yeah, that's what they said back in the day and what wikipedia says now, but he was often cited director afterwards, just for it not to be the case. It's not like many of us could actually check the credits ourselfs for that game. :I

LeonSPBR

Well I plat this game after finishing 3 times but I'll take this game for a spin. Didn't know that the PS3 version has cut content, but I like that they added the boss from NMH2... wished NMH2 came to PS3 as well.

cj_iwakura

Well I plat this game after finishing 3 times but I'll take this game for a spin. Didn't know that the PS3 version has cut content, but I like that they added the boss from NMH2... wished NMH2 came to PS3 as well.

It's minor, but losing Heavenly Star really bites, not to mention the Wii remote phone calls. I haven't played Heroes' Paradise, mind you, this is just what I've heard. I doubt I'd touch it unless I got it for like $2 or something.

cj_iwakura

I just recalled that Heavenly Star plays during Sylvia's cutscenes too. What the heck did they replace it with in Heroes' Paradise? Also, newcomers and replayers: share your Travis! I'll post mine after I finish up Shinobu.

cj_iwakura

Pimp My Travis:

anFYfib.jpg

IZGI6cz.jpg

1tLvvdf.jpg

xMEXIf9.jpg

bx3OTOK.jpg

Sakujou

Banned
Pretty much one of the rare wii games which were insane as duck. Loved it to death. I have all games, the two wii games from the US(since the pal one was cencored) and the ps3 version. Ps3version is such a bad game :(
-controls suck(motion and controller layout)
-framrate is worse than the first wii game
-loading times(the game installs around 5gb on the hdd, whatfor?!)
-DLC
-nmh2 bosses are included but with no information, you simply kill them with no introduction or ending talk
-it does not feel as satisfying as the wii version.

Most people complain about the combat but i had tons of fun with it. It felt awesome to have all those blood and money fountains on the screen.

Overall i would love to see more k7/nmh-like games from suda. Unfortunately the other games from suda havent reached that state since then.
The other games had fucked up bosses, but felt so limited. Killer is dead was quite close but enough, if you ask me.

cj_iwakura

Killer Is Dead was definitely the closest thing to a Trip since NMH1(including NMH2), but it was definitely held back, thanks in part to corporate interference(again). The gigolo stuff was put in at the publisher's behest, for instance. I wish GHM could just return to being indie.

No More Heroes piqued my interest when I first heard about it, so I rented it at launch. I ended up loving it (more-so than its sequel, which was too difficult at times and not as charming). It's an awesome and under-appreciated game.

I had to beat it twice, because I clicked the B/crappy ending at the end of my first play through and didn't know it would lock me into that choice without letting me revert and choose again. So, I beat it twice in one weekend.

I played it a bit on PS3, but didn't get too far in that version. I think I still have it, though, so maybe I'll reply it one day when I'm not swamped. I can't now, though.

I have the ntsc wii version, but can't play it now because freeloader doesn't work, censored pal version just didn't appeal, ps3 version kinda sucks.

Wasnt there an xbox 360 version too, Japan only?

cj_iwakura

7 and 6 are down, what a pain. (My spleeeeen)

I think 6 is the point where you can see Travis realize that it won't be all fun and games, though also it isn't long after before he starts to revel in it again.

Also, relevant:

NotLiquid

I could write a pages-worth essay on why NMH is such a genius game. It introduced me to Suda and commonly stalemates with Killer7 as my favorite of all time. While its not anywhere near as daring and screwed, NMH is genius in its own way that you can easily tell its by the same creator, and it has one of the most interesting protagonists in all of video games.

7 and 6 are down, what a pain. (My spleeeeen)

I think 6 is the point where you can see Travis realize that it won't be all fun and games, though also it isn't long after before he starts to revel in it again.

Also, relevant:

You know I could never looked passed Kaz in Peace Walker/V and think of him as Travis. Doesn't help that they have the same voice actor.

cj_iwakura

I could write a pages-worth essay on why NMH is such a genius game. It introduced me to Suda and commonly stalemates with Killer7 as my favorite of all time. While its not anywhere near as daring and screwed, NMH is genius in its own way that you can easily tell its by the same creator, and it has one of the most interesting protagonists in all of video games.

You know I could never looked passed Kaz in Peace Walker/V and think of him as Travis. Doesn't help that they have the same voice actor.

"He's coming too? Downward fucking dog!
I mean... uh, roger."

Figure I'd give this a bump if anyone's down to (re)play it (again) with 3 on the horizon.

Or replay 2, even.

I was gonna make an lttp, but this is a good topic.

Just started it for the first time due to Suda's announcement at the Switch conference. I've had it laying around for years and figured I'd give it a go.

I think I just became ranked 7, beat
the guy at the movie studio after getting off the subway.

Does the gameplay loop ever get changed up?

cj_iwakura

I was gonna make an lttp, but this is a good topic.

Just started it for the first time due to Suda's announcement at the Switch conference. I've had it laying around for years and figured I'd give it a go.

I think I just became ranked 7, beat
the guy at the movie studio after getting off the subway.

Does the gameplay loop ever get changed up?

Not really, but the bosses keep getting better.

Top Bottom