• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread: DOTA says

eznark

Banned
Oh my God, the ChefSteps guys are the biggest douchebags in the world. It's a shame because their content is cool but I just cannot handle the hipster.

DJ Bowser

well, that's why I said I was available pretty much all day up to 9. Just needed to know when so I could put stuff aside and play.
Oh, I figured you meant after regular-people working hours.

I'm home now and can play literally any time until 3.

The sooner the better IMO.

brentech

Seems like bullshit, but whatever.

You throw 4 picks (3 that are good throws, but clearly covered receivers), run Smash and 4 verts for 50% of your yards, and using chew clock while up 10 to combat run stuffing is the bullshit in the game?

Run more plays on offense and get back with me.

DJ Bowser

You throw 4 picks (3 that are good throws, but clearly covered receivers), run Smash and 4 verts for 50% of your yards, and using chew clock while up 10 to combat run stuffing is the bullshit in the game?

Run more plays on offense and get back with me.

1 pick is after the game is already over due to aforementioned clock-chewing. 2 of them were after the person I was hoping to throw to was clipped by defenders and taken out of the play (not your fault, but frustrating) and the other was just a dumb throw. Though on that dumb throw, I pressed to lead and instead it threw it to Bowe's near hip.

When most of your offense is roll-right and hope someone gets open or just run with Manziel, it's funny to criticize someone else's play selection. This was my first game with the Colts playbook though, possibly last.

If you were chewing clock to combat the ONE time I run stuffed on a play I got burnt on it, you didn't need to continue to chew clock the entire quarter. That's a pretty shitty rationale.

brentech

I know a couple runs with Manziel were in big moments so that's probably what you remember, but watch that game back and see how many times I roll or run with Manziel. Or any game I played for that matter.
You pinch your line almost every single down. That opens the outside of the field for the QB. I'm sorry I took advantage of it?

On the year, he has 10 runs prior to this game.
Code:
66.  Johnny Manziel, cle	10	40	4.0	0	3

DJ Bowser

There were a lot of rolling throws. Either way, there were some frustrating moments in the game (the second pick-6 especially). Even if I would have managed to come back, I wouldn't have deserved to win it, but I was still really enjoying it despite the frustrations at that point. When the clock started rolling I just got pissed and salty because it felt cheap and killed whatever enjoyment I was having.

Less salty now though. I was 4-0 while user LB-ing. Now I'm 4-3. Maybe I need to switch back- I just can't make plays on the ball while LBing even when I cover well.

Ferny

I see a lot of people against the idea of chew clock, but why would I want to give my opponent more time with the ball to beat me? Like if it's 3 minutes to go in the game, wouldn't it be better to chew clock then go up to scrimmage and wait 30 seconds before hiking the ball?

Not that I'm up in a game to use this, just trying to get a dialog going.

DJ Bowser

I see a lot of people against the idea of chew clock, but why would I want to give my opponent more time with the ball to beat me? Like if it's 3 minutes to go in the game, wouldn't it be better to chew clock then go up to scrimmage and wait 30 seconds before hiking the ball?

Not that I'm up in a game to use this, just trying to get a dialog going.

The idea is that since we're already playing with drastically reduced game-clocks, when you're chewing clock early, you're artificially limiting the number of possessions. Do not snap the ball intentionally as well would do the same.

I think once it hits the two minute warning, chewing clock is fair game, but before them I think it's premature.

brentech

There were a lot of rolling throws. Either way, there were some frustrating moments in the game (the second pick-6 especially). Even if I would have managed to come back, I wouldn't have deserved to win it, but I was still really enjoying it despite the frustrations at that point. When the clock started rolling I just got pissed and salty because it felt cheap and killed whatever enjoyment I was having.

Less salty now though. I was 4-0 while user LB-ing. Now I'm 4-3. Maybe I need to switch back- I just can't make plays on the ball while LBing even when I cover well.
All I can say is, your offensive play calling is largely predictable. You really did use Smash (TE up the seam, slot WR corner route, outside WR curl) a minimum of 4 times, and some variation of 4 verts even more. (I ran 4 verts myself on my second drive because you were either blitzing with 6 or running cover 4, and you ran cover 4 so my TE got the ball down the seam).
I didn't get any user picks this game, but the first 3 were in direct coverage where the DB had better location than the WR (the 3rd one, I guessed the route and had coverage along with Haden who got the pick). The final pick, I totally understand, you had to go with the 1v1 RNG and you got unlucky.

As for the runs with Manziel, Manziel is largely a shitty passer. When I don't make safe throws, I lose because I throw picks. If receivers don't have separation to a certain degree, I have to get out. Running is how Manziel's shit arm can keep people honest, and as you can see by my season rush attempts, I honestly don't use it enough.
I can't feel bad about seeing my WRs locked down and trying to get outside of a line that is largely bringing pressure down the middle and never containing. I have to take what I can get.

The biggest play of my final drive where I used chew clock, outside of a long run for TD after it, was 3rd and 6. 3:36s left, you're down by 10 with 2 timeouts (wasted 1 on a challenge), that's more than enough time in this years madden to make a comeback. You pinch the line and user a DT....I stood in the pocket and hit the TE on the sticks to pick up the first. On that play, your MLB was standing in the middle of the field covering no one. He didn't even close on the solo receiver (who a DB had manned up well, honestly) because he's about 15 yards back. That's a play where playing the line hurts you unless you actually hit the QB.
You managed to get into the redzone with 1:40 left in the game, still with 2 time outs. You had time to win.
The idea is that since we're already playing with drastically reduced game-clocks, when you're chewing clock early, you're artificially limiting the number of possessions. Do not snap the ball intentionally as well would do the same.

I think once it hits the two minute warning, chewing clock is fair game, but before them I think it's premature.
Wait what? What game are you playing? These games are much longer than our games in Madden 15 due to no clock roll off.

DJ Bowser

A lot of my playcalling once I was down had no forethought. Being unfamiliar with the playbook and looking to preserve clock, I was scrolling through and selecting the first play that looked decent to me as quickly as possible. I may have been playing with a defeatist attitude far too early.

BigAT

Sorry for being late, I was food shopping.

uoVR5bM.gif
uoVR5bM.gif
uoVR5bM.gif

eznark

Banned
A lot of my playcalling once I was down had no forethought. Being unfamiliar with the playbook and looking to preserve clock, I was scrolling through and selecting the first play that looked decent to me as quickly as possible. I may have been playing with a defeatist attitude far too early.

What playbook?

We get a similar # of plays off in 7 mins to a real NFL game. I don't do it myself but once the 4th Q hits I would understand someone using accel clock against me

LukeSmith

are people really using chew clock before late in the fourth quarter 3:00 or so? league pls

smokey did you just direct connect to cronus or run it through a USB port thing

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
CB won the super bowl with it . If enough people start using it we can get it banned!

The amount of people doesn't really matter. It was only a few of you using that pistol garbage a few years back and I made sure to stomp that shit out.

brentech

3:30 of time chewed off clock from a game that took 57 minutes from start to finish. Games need to be longer. If the below isn't enough snaps for either team to win, I don't know what you need.

25 rush attempts, 19 passes = Cle 44 offensive snaps
10 rush attempts, 47 passes = Dal 57 offensive snaps

Manziel had 6 combined roll/run plays.
19 pass attempts, 204 yards, 15yd came from 1 of 2 rolling passes.
Manziel: 4 rush attempts for 30 yards. (longest run was between Guard/Tackle, huge gap, instant read).

Watching the game back, you rush 6 on defense a shit ton. Sure it gave you a couple run stuffs, but my 3 longest runs came against 6 rushers (usually the MLBs going down the A gap, stuck in the wash). And it made passing reads infinitely easier if you didn't get pressure quick. My 5 roll outs were due to coverage, not pressure.

Honestly think you have more of an impact on defense when you don't play the line. Too many big plays/important plays given up while you played the line because a defender would be in no mans land. You had more effect than you think.

Smokey

are people really using chew clock before late in the fourth quarter 3:00 or so? league pls

smokey did you just direct connect to cronus or run it through a USB port thing

Direct connect. It drops the controller connection every 10 minutes though...like if the battery died. Pressing x gets it back to normal. Connecting to a USB hub is supposed to fix this, I just dont have one on hand atm.

BigAT

It's about time to get TURNT UP motherfuckers!

lVAJwgf.jpg

Incredibly inappropriate picture size so you can fully witness the glory.

JABEE

Haha, I find it annoying when people don't chew clock. Do it all game for all I care!
This is how I feel. Most teams that aren't the Eagles use most of the clock in the 2nd half or at the end of the 1st half.

It is unrealistic to snap the ball at 20+ seconds every time.

Top Bottom