• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition on August 24, $20 (25% off sale at launch)

i liked what i played of this on dreamcast, but i never finished it for whatever reason. definitely interested if the port is good.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna miss the sound of my Dreamcast reading the disc during the FMV spells
not really

Loved this game on PS2 and Dreamcast. It lookes so great and the story is one of the few which always stuck with me. The concept is so brilliant. Really liked the battle system as well. Still a shame we never got 3 in Europe. What would the chances be of this coming to consoles?

Understood that the creator died a while back, so not that much chance of a 5th entry in thr series I guess.

Next week!!! yesh~

Gonna... hour 2 it though, wait for the initial flood of "omg this is broken" or not come out. Been burned way too many times lol.

Momentary

Banned
How the fuck am I supposed to play all these damn JRPGS. I'm still on Fairy Fencer and I have FF Type 0 this week as well.

Recall

Day 1, but I still want to see som 1080p screens to assure me that this isn't going to be a trainwreck of a port. The last batch of screens didn't exactly instill confidence in the project.

I wonder how the important part of the game is, the gameplay. Hopefully unchanged.

Ourobolus

Banned
Damn, definitely gonna pick up. Beat Grandia 3, and made it most of the way through 1...never got a chance to play this.

Good game, but arguable as to whether it bests the first. Combat mechanics and pacing improvements for sure, but script, story, and characters are quite a step-down.

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird series. If you could make the perfect game, you'd pick the story from Grandia and the battles from Grandia III, but Grandia II sort of does okay at both.

Grandia would be the best game in the series for me, if I could only ever play one of them again that's the one I'd choose without even having to think about it.

Bladelaw

Thanks for the heads up! Buying day one!

My VMU's are all dead and I haven't got around to setting up the dreamcast for a replay.

I do NOT have time to play this, I'm trying to finish Ar nosurge + Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold before MGSV drops, but I'm so going to buy this.

I have never played a Grandia game, and I'm someone that is crazy about GOOD turn based games, so it seems like I'm in for an amazing title.

I assume that Normal was too easy if this is getting an extra difficulty.

Japanese VAs included also makes me so happy.

huh1678

Banned
dayum and i am planning to pick up a new 3ds xl tomorrow also... not enough time for all these awesome jrpgs coming out these last few months :(

DJ_Lae

I'm in.

Why can't I just preorder it at the lower price now, though? I'll probably forget about it at launch until the price jumps back up (maybe I just answered my question).

Hugstable

Banned
Could never finish Grandia 2 on PS2... fucker kept crashing and freezing on me

Yeah I remember hearing the PS2 port was really bad and had alot of issues, I'm glad I had a Dreamcast for both this and Skies back in the day. So glad they are rereleasing it though, I honestly never expected Grandia 2 to get an HD release

Trumpets

Love this game, the main plot is pretty cliche but it contains lots of nice 'plotlets' in each town you visit.

Hope they release this version on console at some point.

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird series. If you could make the perfect game, you'd pick the story from Grandia and the battles from Grandia III, but Grandia II sort of does okay at both.

Yeah, that's my viewpoint as well. Grandia 1 has the best story but the worst gameplay in the series (which still means it's rather good compared to most RPGs), Grandia 3 has the best gameplay but the worst story in the series other than maybe the spin-offs, whereas Grandia 2 is good at everything but not the best.

All I remember about this game is the "twist" at the end, and that I really like the game. I suppose that's enough an excuse to dive back in again, heh.

wrowa

I'm a bit conflicted on this.

I love the Grandia series and will gladly support a re-release in order to improve the chances that the series might resurface.

But on the other hand, I don't feel like there's actually a reasonable chance for a new game in the series to begin with and the screenshots from a couple weeks back didn't convince me. Mostly because they commited my personal cardinal sin of HD remasters: Super low-res HUDs. Playing a game in HD is cool and all, but when the HUD elements become upscaled ugly messes then it just feels messy to me.

Grief.exe

I'm a bit conflicted on this.

I love the Grandia series and will gladly support a re-release in order to improve the chances that the series might resurface.

But on the other hand, I don't feel like there's actually a reasonable chance for a new game in the series to begin with and the screenshots from a couple weeks back didn't convince me. Mostly because they commited my personal cardinal sin of HD remasters: Super low-res HUDs. Playing a game in HD is cool and all, but when the HUD elements become upscaled ugly messes then it just feels messy to me.

One of the developers came in and basically advised to ignore those screenshots and wait for officially released media. I can't independently confirm either way.

wrowa

One of the developers came in and basically advised to ignore those screenshots and wait for officially released media. I can't independently confirm either way.

Oh, I was under the impression that the screenshots were officially released by Gungho.

hesho

It's Steam, do they often do different sales for Canada than the US?

generally, everything is 10% higher then the US counterpart. I've only seen a handful of games that is the same price on both sides of the border. It actually is a discount for us technically since our dollar just keeps falling :/

and.. totally buying this... i remember playing this years ago on pc...

Top Bottom