• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOOTLEG AMIIBO DEVICE BACKS UP, SPOOFS, AMIIBO FUNCTIONALITY

Zubz

Banned
This should be protected under the same copyright laws that saved the Game Genie way back when, right? The only reason Game Genie/Game Shark/Action Replay went under is because an emphasis on online content made it easy for companies to shut out cheat devices. If Figure-Locked Content just reopened the door, then I don't see how Nintendo could fight back, even if they argue that they charge for the locked content via figurines.

border

I've often wanted to create a thread about the possibility of Amiibo/Skylander spoofing, but was hesitant because I didn't know moderation policies on such a thing.

I am surprised that it has taken this long for someone to create a device to sidestep all the Toys-To-Life bullshit.

Is there a reason I actually need a device though? Why can't I just create an Android app that will spoof figurines using a cell phone?

border

This should be protected under the same copyright laws that saved the Game Genie way back when, right?

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act did not exist when Game Genie came out. Nintendo will almost certainly get this thing banned in the United States.

EMT0

Banned
I too love to type titles in all caps OP. I'd probably buy one of these if they're cheap, screw Nintendo's amiibo policies.

Neiteio

Sounds like a good thing to me. Is it really piracy when it's just unlocking stuff that's already on the disc, content which was already purchased?
It's still piracy, since the content on the disk still requires a key to unlock that would otherwise be sold separately (namely, with an amiibo). You'd still be pirating the key.

Peltz

Sorry everyone. Clearly, I'm having trouble controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!!!

I'm also curious about the device containing images of amiibo that don't already exist. How could they ever be used?

Lmao "amiiqo"

I only have 3 amiibos and bought them for the functionality, they're not high quality figures.

Amiibos themselves are not anti-consumer, although artificially manipulation of availability is.

Augustiner

Neo Member
This is piracy, though, and it's gonna get shut down pretty quickly.

Really? What is your reasoning for this?

The business model for these figures does not have any verification of ownership by the user. There is no expectation that someone couldn't borrow a friend's or family members figure to unlock content on their game save.

I think this is more akin to borrowing a movie, game, or book from someone. I think spoofing Amiibo scans for personal use would be considered fair use.

Peltz

Really? What is your reasoning for this?

The business models for these figures does not have any verification for ownership by the user. There is no expectation that someone couldn't borrow a friends or family members figure to unlock content on their game save.

I think this is more akin to borrowing a movie, game, or book from someone. I think spoofing Amiibo scans for personal use would be considered fair use.

Nah, I think it's legally equivalent to making a copy of a CD, game, or book.

$70 hehe good luck with that. Who here has seriously spent anywhere near that just for amiibo functionality?

I'm ok with this. Amiibo are anti consumer as fuck.

So anti consumer just means bad these days? I had such a anti consumer day today buddy let me tell ya...

Augustiner

Neo Member

Upon further reflection, perhaps you're right. I guess codes on the figures could be considered intellectual property. Personal backups might be as far as you could get legally if you personally owned the figure.

sörine

Banned
This should be protected under the same copyright laws that saved the Game Genie way back when, right? The only reason Game Genie/Game Shark/Action Replay went under is because an emphasis on online content made it easy for companies to shut out cheat devices. If Figure-Locked Content just reopened the door, then I don't see how Nintendo could fight back, even if they argue that they charge for the locked content via figurines.
Game Genie didn't come with 10 preloaded roms so nope. This thing's fucked.

It has that functionality, and just that would be fine. The device is preloaded with 10 amiibo images though (5 released, 5 unreleased) so it's more like a CD copier that comes with 10 copyrighted albums in the box.

border

I think the only way they stand a chance in American court is if they argued that this is a device that allows you to legally "back-up" your Amiibos for safety and convenience. Back-ups have generally been protected by law, and since these are kids' toys that can be easily lost or damaged I think you can make a good case that back-ups are necessary.

The manufacturer is in the UK anyhow though so I don't really know what sort of standard they would be held to.

Shiggy

It's still piracy, since the content on the disk still requires a key to unlock that would otherwise be sold separately (namely, with an amiibo). You'd still be pirating the key.

OK, pirating the key might be the issue. What do they actually look like?

This is piracy, though, and it's gonna get shut down pretty quickly.

Eh, not really. It's just giving you access to data that's already on the disc you paid for.

I have no problem with on-disc DLC or otherwise disc-locked content, but companies can't (or, at least, shouldn't be able to) complain if people find other ways of accessing said content.

I'd put this device in the same category as an Action Replay.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Lol people are openly admitting their intent to commit piracy in this thread.

That's a stretch. Lots of people just really dislike the Amiibo approach to DLC.

And I am one of those people. Not that I condone the use of these bootleg things to circumvent it.

Oregano

I think the only way they stand a chance in American court is if they argued that this is a device that allows you to legally "back-up" your Amiibos for safety and convenience. Back-ups have generally been protected by law, and since these are kids' toys that can be easily lost or damaged I think you can make a good case that back-ups are necessary.

The manufacturer is in the UK anyhow though so I don't really know what sort of standard they would be held to.

I think the act of making a copy of a CD was made illegal in like the last month here in the UK so they're probably even more fucked.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
$70 hehe good luck with that. Who here has seriously spent anywhere near that just for amiibo functionality?

So anti consumer just means bad these days? I had such a anti consumer day today buddy let me tell ya...

I was tempted to pay about that much for the three splatoon amiibo. Eventually came to my senses and refused to pay stupid third party scalping rates. I just wish Nintendo would produce a normal amount. Locking content behind physical collectibles is one thing. Making those collectibles scarce is fucking stupid.

Odrion

Banned
On one hand, it's pretty much piracy. You're not holding your end of the bargain (buy this toy, you get this content.)

On the other hand. FUCK HAVING CONTENT BE LOCKED AWAY BY GODDAMN TOYS.

VariantX

If Nintendo did more on their end, stuff like this wouldn't exist. Why are they so damn slow with the amiibo cards for people who want the functionality but not the figurines? It's like having dlc but, only a handful of people can buy it at once.

_woLf

I honestly don't know how to feel about this kind of device. On one hand it goes against what Amiibo are designed for, but on the other hand they're so expensive, EXTREMELY hard to find anything outside a select few, and have been locking a lot of shit behind their paywalls, so I almost want to support something like this.

Gah.

Yarbskoo

Piracy is just copyright infringement. Does using this infringe on any copyrights?

Not that I'd actually need it anyway. I have eight amiibos, only one of which I've actually used for anything. I just like stupid plastic shit.

Nintendo had some success banning flash carts in the UK right?
I think the act of making a copy of a CD was made illegal in like the last month here in the UK so they're probably even more fucked.
Wake me up when someone is actually prosecuted for copying a CD they own.

MrV4ltor

Good. Gated content that depends on you buying an expensive toy that has extreme stock issues is idiotic.
Are skins really content tho? This is almost as if someone made a device that unlocks all the skins in Dota 2 or something like that. It's really just cosmetic stuff most of the time.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol, I don't give a shit about WiiU/Amibo.

But if the only way to unlock at 73 skins is to buy $1000 worth of amibo, then your game is fucked up.
What game has that functionality?
Also, amiibo functionality spans more than one game in a lot of cases. You/I may not like amiibos as physical dlc but it's still piracy.

fernoca

If Nintendo did more on their end, stuff like this wouldn't exist. Why are they so damn slow with the amiibo cards for people who want the functionality but not the figurines? It's like having dlc but, only a handful of people can buy it at once.
Doubt things would be different if Nintendo "did more on their end". Heck, people pirate free games, so is not like is about sales or demand.

This thing allows people to download data from amiibo they don't own, to use it as if they actually owned. It also allows multiple data in one and backups, so it could be argued that is about the added functions. Though seeing people openly admit to download data of amiibo they don't own, because "amiibo are anti-consumer this will teach Nintendo!" is kinda reaching. Is like admitting to pirate a game because said publisher never released it in your country.

Oregano

Nintendo had some success banning flash carts in the UK right?

Wake me up when someone is actually prosecuted for copying a CD they own.

That's a good point, it's hilarously depressing that it was even theoretically made illegal in the first place.

EDIT: Spoofing an Amiibo is probably piracy in the same way spoofing a F2P game to bypass IAPs is piracy. Your personal feelings on the product are meaningless.

bomma_man

Are amiibo still considered scarce? Every shop I go to now has a shit load of them including obscure smash characters.

That said, fuck them.

Top Bottom