• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Picross 3D 2 announced

Anyone play the demo? Game seems pretty good, but these tutorials are annoying the crap out of me.

Edit: Also seems up for pre-purchase on the JP eshop. Not sure why anyone would do that but it's your money!

Finished the demo. I like the new mechanics but it's pretty easy to slip up and use the wrong kind of marking. There also doesn't seem to be any kind of penalty for mistakes -- no time limit, not # of hits allowed, which is odd but kinda nice. Might not be that way for the full game.

I hope there are lots of free download courses like the first game!

KevinCow

Banned
Anyone play the demo? Game seems pretty good, but these tutorials are annoying the crap out of me.

Edit: Also seems up for pre-purchase on the JP eshop. Not sure why anyone would do that but it's your money!

Damn you for getting me excited. It's not up on the NA eShop. Has it even been confirmed for a release outside of Japan?

Having two colors is really messing with me.

Finished the demo. I like the new mechanics but it's pretty easy to slip up and use the wrong kind of marking. There also doesn't seem to be any kind of penalty for mistakes -- no time limit, not # of hits allowed, which is odd but kinda nice. Might not be that way for the full game.

I hope there are lots of free download courses like the first game!

There's a locked timed section on the level select screen, so I assume the leniency present in the demo is just for the first few levels.

If you "purchase" the demo on amazon.jp you'll get a coupon applied to your Amazon account for 500 yen off the download version. That brings it down to ¥2416 which is pretty hard to pass up.

The coupon lasts until November 19th so even if you aren't planning on grabbing it right away I'd suggest getting the demo through Amazon.

Thanks, I'll definitely go for this. Download version is already way more convenient for me anyway and getting nearly 10 bucks off is a good deal.

FYI the amazon demo isn't limited to a certain number of plays for whatever reason. I think it's the same demo but I don't want to go through the tutorial (ever) again to find out.

If you "purchase" the demo on amazon.jp you'll get a coupon applied to your Amazon account for 500 yen off the download version. That brings it down to ¥2416 which is pretty hard to pass up.

The coupon lasts until November 19th so even if you aren't planning on grabbing it right away I'd suggest getting the demo through Amazon.

Thanks for the heads-up, I've had my eye on getting this off the eShop since playing the demo (Picross 3D on DS being generally great helps too).

Do I need a Japanese billing address to purchase the game off Amazon JP as a digital download?

Bought the Amazon JP download code. FYI the coupon gets applied automatically as long as you have "purchased" the demo on Amazon.

Final price was 2416 yen.

Kinda want to play it on my way home from work but I don't know that I want to try tethering my 3DS for a full game download...

Edit: 1055 Blocks, so 131MB, I think I can spare that. :D

Don't mean to keep spamming this page but I played a few levels and have some impressions:

• They let you skip the tutorial, which is much appreciated
  • You can choose a difficulty to play on before the levels: sweet, mild, and bitter. This affects how many hints you get on the blocks. Sweet seems to just tell you everything, bitter gives you the bare minimum, mild somewhere in between.
  • The bomb is amazing for the early levels at least -- saves a lot of time
  • So far the blue/orange setup is working well, it adds a nice layer of depth to Picross 3D.
  • You can customize the controls if you don't like the default
  • Doesn't seem like there are download courses. Maybe with an update? It was very generous for the first game so maybe they would charge if they added that on.
Anyone else start playing this? Could maybe make an import OT but I imagine this will come out internationally soon enough.

Don't mean to keep spamming this page but I played a few levels and have some impressions:

• They let you skip the tutorial, which is much appreciated
  • You can choose a difficulty to play on before the levels: sweet, mild, and bitter. This affects how many hints you get on the blocks. Sweet seems to just tell you everything, bitter gives you the bare minimum, mild somewhere in between.
  • The bomb is amazing for the early levels at least -- saves a lot of time
  • So far the blue/orange setup is working well, it adds a nice layer of depth to Picross 3D.
  • You can customize the controls if you don't like the default
Anyone else start playing this? Could maybe make an import OT but I imagine this will come out internationally soon enough.

whats the pencil on the left ?

Oh shit, I'd totally forgotten this came out Oct. 1! Will have to get it when I have the chance. Just about done with Picross e6 too, so pretty good timing.

Wondering whether to buy this. Never played any of the series. I enjoyed Pullbox or whatever it was called, so I'm open to charming puzzle games. Any indication if there is enough content to justify the price? I'm still playing box boy and that cost me about 1/4 of the price of this game.

Wondering whether to buy this. Never played any of the series. I enjoyed Pullbox or whatever it was called, so I'm open to charming puzzle games. Any indication if there is enough content to justify the price? I'm still playing box boy and that cost me about 1/4 of the price of this game.

Picross games are nothing if not time eaters. I just spent 40 hours finishing every puzzle in Picross e6, a $6.50 purchase (on the Australian eShop, at least). I don't know about 3D 2, but I can't imagine how many hours I spent playing the first 3D.

Picross games are nothing if not time eaters. I just spent 40 hours finishing every puzzle in Picross e6, a $6.50 purchase (on the Australian eShop, at least). I don't know about 3D 2, but I can't imagine how many hours I spent playing the first 3D.
Thanks, I went ahead and bought it. So far so good, but still learning through the tutorials.

I've done, for now, 60-ish puzzles (most of them on Mild for now, some on Bitter).
Also don't want any miss on the report card.

So far it's been a blast.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is the Technic 16 from Book 13. I can't get this one to validate at all...it says that if I use the "marking" ability it's easy, but I don't get it :(
I'm applying the marking then I try to erase blocks but everything misses.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Got my copy from Amazon yesterday:
pxHq8rI.jpg
Won't be playing it for a few more days, but I loved the first Rittai Picross and the demo for this one.

I've done, for now, 60-ish puzzles (most of them on Mild for now, some on Bitter).
Also don't want any miss on the report card.

So far it's been a blast.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is the Technic 16 from Book 13. I can't get this one to validate at all...it says that if I use the "marking" ability it's easy, but I don't get it :(
I'm applying the marking then I try to erase blocks but everything misses.

Marking system is critical when you're doing all bitter. Is 13-16 the last one in the book? Don't have my 3DS near me right now but IIRC.

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

1,3,5,7 wont be orange, so the orange block can only be 2 or 4. And no matter it's 2 or 4, you'll need to mark 1 as blue, so that's it.

No it's not the last one in that book.

It's a square (I think 7x7) with only one block of depth and each side is something like that:

nothing-nothing-(Orange 2)-(Blue 2)-(Orange 2)-nothing-nothing

note:(Color Number) means it's a circle-shaped Number of that Color

So the markings make a cross on the inside of the square

No it's not the last one in that book.

It's a square (I think 7x7) with only one block of depth and each side is something like that:

nothing-nothing-(Orange 2)-(Blue 2)-(Orange 2)-nothing-nothing ||||| (Color Number) means it's a circle-shaped Number of that Color
So the markings make a cross on the inside of the square

Just destroy the crossing blocks?

Damn tonyh24613, you were right...it was that simple.
I remember not marking those 4 blocks because I knew they were crossing both colors, but I did not break them at the time.
Of course that's what I had to do to "win".

To those bumping the thread, thanks. Swore this came out in the middle of October. Going in on digital purchase. Unless anyone has a link for lower than retail price?

To those bumping the thread, thanks. Swore this came out in the middle of October. Going in on digital purchase. Unless anyone has a link for lower than retail price?

If you're able to purchase on amazon.co.jp you should buy it there and "purchase" the demo first. It'll give you a 500 yen discount bringing it to under 2500 yen. Details and links in my post above.

chadi

Playing on hard (bitter) from the start. Puzzle 68 was pretty challenging (well, cos it's made up of puzzles 69-77). Lol. May take a while to finish especially if you don't want any mistakes on your record.

Btw the game has a Miiverse community with screenshot support in case anyone's wondering. :)

Am I crazy or is there only like one song that ever plays during puzzles?

Edit: OK I checked and there's actually a lot. I think it's tied to the puzzle, cause for the last 12 maybe I've gotten nothing but "Challenge." I've changed the setting to "Random" (from "Default") and now I'm getting a different song each time.

Am I crazy or is there only like one song that ever plays during puzzles?

Edit: OK I checked and there's actually a lot. I think it's tied to the puzzle, cause for the last 12 maybe I've gotten nothing but "Challenge." I've changed the setting to "Random" (from "Default") and now I'm getting a different song each time.

I need to do this. The one in the festival float big puzzle makes me want to break things now.

Is there any chance this comes to EU? It's the perfect game for my trips on the train to work.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't. It took a full year for Picross 3D (DS) to release internationally... maybe they're just waiting for the right gap in the release calendar.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't. It took a full year for Picross 3D (DS) to release internationally... maybe they're just waiting for the right gap in the release calendar.

Is Picross the sort of game that needs a gap in the calendar though? It's a given for me the second it's out, as picross games in general are my go-to thing to play while watching TV that doesn't need my eyeballs.

Is Picross the sort of game that needs a gap in the calendar though? It's a given for me the second it's out, as picross games in general are my go-to thing to play while watching TV that doesn't need my eyeballs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nintendo seems to content putting out very little lately.

I always feel the music is trolling me when I'm stuck. All bitter, no miss, no hint is really tough.

I'm having a great time just playing on Mild, allowing misses. I keep accidentally marking the wrong way... if I were playing for no misses I would probably go crazy.

I'm also on Mild but with no misses. Which is fine and all, but when you miss just because you thought of the right color but your left hand presses the button for the other one...you feel it in the gut. Especially if it happens near the end D:

I started using the pencils. I found that the two color thing can get really complicated and by using the pencil to mark as "can only be this color" its saving me a lot of time to figure out where things can possibly go.

Top Bottom