• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Portal App (w/ Triple Triad) is now avaliable for Android/iOS

Wazzy

Banned
The stam refill charge rate is crappy but I don't mind there being a stam system. It just needs to restore faster.
I was addicted to the game in FFVIII back in the day. I spent hours just playing the card game.

That feature alone will make sure I still have a life or come back every 2.5 hours like a smoker with a cigarette.

Edit does it play the Triple Triad theme while playing?

It sure does play Shuffle or Boogie. :D

Korezo

I wish the game was made with higher quality or higher res, looks kind of low res on my iPhone 6, it's not sharp.

NaviLink

Wait, you need to have a Google plus account to access Triple Triad? Really? What a boner killer.

Edit: nevermind, you can just cancel. Triple Triad, yay.

Putosaure

Why can't they just release a simple Triple Triad app ? And not just this hub thing filled of junk... Is there any good TT clone out there ?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Looking at this app...

I just HATE Square Enix's UI style. What an ugly pile of both serif and sans-serif fonts. Crappy buttons. It looks like an ostentatious website from the late 90s.

For such a visual/style based company, they need to give their heads a shake when it comes to anything they've done UI-wise on mobile and the web.

tengiants

Looking at this app...

I just HATE Square Enix's UI style. What an ugly pile of both serif and sans-serif fonts. Crappy buttons. It looks like an ostentatious website from the late 90s.

For such a visual/style based company, they need to give their heads a shake when it comes to anything they've done UI-wise on mobile and the web.

Yes, Japanese UIs in general do the sans serif/serif mix. Square Enix is the worst. Drives me bonkers too.

Hasney

Why can't they just release a simple Triple Triad app ? And not just this hub thing filled of junk... Is there any good TT clone out there ?

Final Fantasy XIV is the best Triple Triad.

Is the Lightning card still hilariously broken like the JP version?

Prototype

Had zero interest in this until I saw that there's... TRIPLE TRIAD.

wow that takes me back, best card game/mini game in any FF.

BocoDragon

Yes, Japanese UIs in general do the sans serif/serif mix. Square Enix is the worst. Drives me bonkers too.
I'm glad I'm not alone! I feel like I've been taking crazy pills. Haha

I've studied up on Japanese UIs and the fact that their websites and such look like some wierd alternate 1998 internet.

It's odd because in many regards, I consider them to be one of the top design cultures on the planet. It's baffling.

(Maybe I should do a SE brand redesign for a portfolio project..?)

duckroll

How big does the app become after downloading Triple Triad?

It adds about 240meg I think. Total bloatware. Triple Triad is fun, but the entire app feels like it was thrown together without much optimization, and the tutorials are draggy as hell, lol.

I can't believe they're using Dissidia Lore(TM) in Triple Triad too. Feels... dirty.

Blablurn

I love their version of Triple Triad. But the waiting sucks obviously. I was hoping waiting half an hour would give you all the crystals :(

BocoDragon

I wish Triple Triad were just a link on my homescreen.

Hiding apps in this portal is dumb.

Hey... If you want to give me an official FF news+community app, i will download it no problem. Hook it into my apps if you want. But restricting them to it? Naw. Dumb.

Renpatsu

It adds about 240meg I think. Total bloatware. Triple Triad is fun, but the entire app feels like it was thrown together without much optimization, and the tutorials are draggy as hell, lol.

I can't believe they're using Dissidia Lore(TM) in Triple Triad too. Feels... dirty.
Okay thanks.
You're right, after downloading TT it's now up to 255mb - That's sort of insane.

yatesl

I really wish S-E made a TT client for PC. I remember playing a bunch of Tetra Master that was included with the PlayOnline client for FFXI, and I re subbed to XIV for a month to play TT when the Golden Saucer update came out.

Triple T with the production values and business model of Hearthstone. Literally all you need in life.

Razmos

I love triple triad, but I always sucked at it in FFVIII.

The cards I got from the Tutorial were:
Malboro FFVI (1*)
Monk FFXI (1*)
Black Mage FFV (2*)
Lenna FFV (2*)
Machina FFType-0 (3*)

duckroll

It's always so easy to pick the card I want after winning a battle. I just go for whichever card is from FFV or FFT with the highest stars. Lol. Artwork > *

duckroll

Is FF1 free then? It says you will be charged after the download period?

FF1 is free to download and play now, but it is a version specifically attached to the Portal App. You have to launch it from the Portal App. If you delete the data or the Portal App, after the free period you will not be able to download it for free again, you'll have to pay. If you keep it installed, you can continue to play it for free even after the free period ends.

BocoDragon

Seems like FF1 has been (temporarily I assume) delisted from the iOS App Store ... It may be just gone for me since I redeemed the version through the portal app, or it may be just gone for everyone until the free through portal app offer expires.

The fact that I find this alarming should indicate how little I value this free version that only exists through the portal app. I don't feel any sense of ownership over this version I got through the portal app, because it's forever hidden in there. I'd rather get the real app on my homescreen.

Razmos

It's all 14 numbered games + Dissidia + Tactics + Type-0.

Go to Cards> Card Album > Order > choose to sort by series.

It's a completionists wet dream/nightmare

duckroll

Oh wow, I just checked the card catalog, and some of the job classes I thought was from Tactics is actually from FF3. I forgot Yoshida also did the art for the DS remake lol. Yum yum.

Oh wow, I just checked the card catalog, and some of the job classes I thought was from Tactics is actually from FF3. I forgot Yoshida also did the art for the DS remake lol. Yum yum.
Maybe if they ever do some crossover collaboration cards, we can get some Tactics Ogre artwork.

Oh man this app is garbage.

FFI looks terrible too.

I thought this was going to be some amazing, sleek encyclopaedia or something.
Terrible.

TT is great though as always, just hearing the music again was so good.

Razmos

You can exchange FF Portal points for certain cards, and there is an achievement for getting 2 cards this way.

Current cards:
Hope (FFXIII 3*) - 80 points
Black Mage (FFI 3*) - 80 points
Eiko (FFIX 4*) - 300 points
Tenzen (FFXI 4*) - 300 points

It's going to take a LONG time to get that many points, jeez. You get like 1 point for watching videos or reading articles on the app, as well as one point per day for logging in, and 1 per day from Triple Triad (though it's doubled to 2 for now due to an event)

There are also some wallpapers for 10 points, and a tab for "Item codes" which I'm assuming are FFXIV items? (but its empty at the moment)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
A bit clunky but decent overall. I just hope it's supported daily with news and apps and they don't let it die fast...
also here hoping for a future revamp, visually is ugly.

also

Banned
I tried Triple Triad and I really liked but having to wait half an hour for a crystal to recharge with a maximum of 5 crystals just kills it :/

Yooooo, seeing Triple Triad on my phone right now...

7d58aae695470e68145f6290a1106101.gif

Top Bottom