• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What genre has grown on you?

Zomba13

MOBA. I kinda liked LoL that I played a while back but fell out of it and gave Dota 2 a try but was overwhelmed by all the heroes and the shop stuff but I've given Heroes of the Storm a try now and I really like it. It's simplified a lot of the things I found confusing with Dota or LoL and the map variety and objectives make it more interesting to keep playing as it's not the same map all the time. Only problem I have with the game is having to buy the heroes but it's a minor complaint I guess.

wrongway

MOBAs/LOMAs/ARTS/Whatevers. Tried all of the big ones and some of the small ones over the years, from Dota to Demigod. They were fun in the moment but I never felt compelled to keep playing any of them. Now I'm playing HOTS almost every day, and I've been casually levelling a League account.

Smash 4 also gave me the fighting game bug. I think the last one I spent much time on was the first Soul Calibur. Now I'm playing Rising Thunder while I drool over SFV. Even picked up an arcade stick. D:

WRPGs

As a huge fan of the JRPGs of old, I never understood Baldur's Gate and stuff back in the day. But then I enjoyed Oblivion, Witcher 2, Skyrim. Playing currently The Witcher 3, and I think it's the finest RPG right now. No current JRPG can touch it.

My nostalgia tells me that Chrono Trigger, FF 6 and FF7 are still the genre's best games ever though.

Sjefen

JRPG's!!!! I'm waiting on my Vita Adventure Megapack and are going to play the hell out of all the JRPG's available.....

Visual Novels. Phoenix Wright is by far one of the best series I've ever played and many thanks to GAF for recommending it to me.

If only Capcom would bring over the current release to the states...

deoee

Visual Novels. Phoenix Wright is by far one of the best series I've ever played and many thanks to GAF for recommending it to me.

If only Capcom would bring over the current release to the states...

Yeah... sadly VN need ages to come to Europe / America.
Best example is Steins;Gate

Kriken

I've enjoyed The Ace Attorney series, Danganronpa series and Zero Escape 1&2, so I'd say Visual Novels have grown on me a bit

Games with punishing difficulties. Always used to play games on normal or easy, and would avoid games touted as super challenging

Took the plunge with Demon's Souls and now I love hard games. Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls, roguelikes, bullet hells, etc.

GamerJM

Banned
Over the course of last gen I grew to tolerate FPS and 3PS games, especially with how low they made the skill floor. I used to completely hate the genre with only a couple exceptions. Now they're one of my less favorite genres but I still like some of them.

The visual novel I guess. I used to mock it, but then games like Virtue's Last Reward and Danganronpa came along with their heavy emphasis on nothing-but-clicking-through-text segments and I enjoyed them. Had my first pure visual novel experience just recently with Steins;Gate and loved it, so I guess I've officially embraced the genre.

I do prefer when there is gameplay involved though, no matter how insignificant it might be. S;G really tried my patience there for the first few hours. If you're doing nothing but reading dialogue boxes and you're not invested in the story, like me for the first two or three chapters, then you're not going to have a good time.

kai3345

Banned
XCOM won me over on the turn-based strategy genre. Since then, I've discovered that SMT: Devil Survivor is one of my favorite games of all time.

WRPGs. It has taken years to get into them despite trying many, many times and failing. I still think I have a hard time getting into Bioware games because I have yet to finish one, but Witcher 3 has its hooks in me and I love Bethesda games.

kagamin

Never thought I'd like Dungeon Crawlers till Etrian Odyssey, and VERY MUCH Rhythm games because I detested playing Guitar Hero and the likes because the systems were confusing for me when I was younger (and my friends made us take turns so I never got a chance to improve since I always failed songs), playing Taiko Drum Master and Project Diva/Mirai much later really helped me to understand what the appeal was.

Also Phoenix Wright gave me a great liking for Point and Click Adventure games, and was sort of a segue into visual novels for me.

frontovik

Banned
There are two genres that comes to mind: Grand Strategy and MOBAs.

When one thinks of Grand Strategy, then Paradox games such as Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis comes to mind. The tutorials for those games are usually lacking, the UI is not easy to navigate, and the game mechanics often requires a substantial amount of time to learn. Yet, I decided to devote some time to EU IV, and got the hang of it after several playthroughs and asking for tips/advice. It's actually quite fun, and my success with EU was what prompted me to play Crusader Kings II afterwards. Now I just need to work on Hearts of Iron.

In regards to MOBAs, the gameplay premise just didn't appeal to me, even though I'm an avid RTS player and have played WarCraft III competitively. I also have experience in intense micro games such as Company of Heroes. It wasn't until recently that I decided to give the genre a go after hearing about its popularity. I've been an avid fan of DOTA2 since then, after trying out other MOBA games.

Lynx_7

WRPGs, more specifically of the isometrical variety. I've been slowly going through Planescape: Torment and I'm warming up to it.

StoneFox

Fighters and Action games are starting to grow on me. As a kid, I only really played Turn-based games, or simulators like Harvest Moon.

Realizing just how fun it is to feel the excitement of action games when you pull off an awesome combo or move.

Lautaro

Racing games, they are good to relax after a day of hard work (or after playing too complex and long games).

They need to have some gimmick though (like Mario Kart).

Rean

Fighting games and RPGs mainly. They're actually my favorite genres to play these days. I used to have fighting games when I was younger, but I was never really enjoyed it as much as I do now. Action RPGs got me into JRPGs later on too.

ghibli99

Open-world. Tried to get into them when GTA3 was huge, but just never could. It wouldn't be until last year when games like Arkham City, Tomb Raider (kinda), Lego City Undercover, and GTA5 eased me in, and now it's one of my favorite genres.

Doel

Not exactly a genre, but games without stories have really grown on me these last couple years. With the exception of a few big titles I want to play, listening to a podcast while gaming is pretty much the only time I game now, so anytime I don't feel obligated to follow a story is perfect for me.

PaulBizkit

Can we all agree (or is it okay to say) that Danganronpa, Phoenix Wright, Steins Gate and Zero Escape are the "New generation" of visual novels?

Because, before them, i feel like all VNs were about "picking up different girls in a high school setting" with fate stay night being the only exception.

I might be wrong and great games like the ones mentioned above have always existed but never made their way outside japan.

SeriousApes

I've recently started playing some side scrolling adventure games. I finished The Silent Age in a few hours and now I'm playing Gemini Rue. I'll probably check out some of the classic ones when I get the chance.

I want to get into 4X games, but they feel a little overwhelming. Maybe I just need to set aside some time to learn. I have Civ V and Endless Space on my Steam library.

Dr. Buni

Kinda digging RTS now thanks to Pikmin. On the other hand, I never really liked RPG that much and I am liking it even less lately, with exception of the Mario & Luigi series.

Hey hey,

I gotta ask you guys:

What genre did grow on you in the past time that you thought you'd never enjoy?

For me it was Visual Novels. I could not imagine playing those "games" two years ago. And look at me now:

The past few months were breathtaking for me since I finished the first Ace AttorneymVirtues Last Reward, Danganronpa 1 and 2, Steins;Gate (today :) )
It became so relaxing for me to just sit down and enjoy a great great story and the game that sparked my love was 999.

I am a big jrpgs, and wrpg fan.

I was surprised at how fun I been having with First person shooters.

Catabu

Neo Member
Roguelike-likes.

Never really liked the concept of permadeath. Suddenly started to like it.

Now I'm in a cycle that looks like this:

1 See new fancy roguelike
2 watch videos
3 get mini hyped
4 buy it
5 suck at it
6 tell yourself you're just taking a break from the game
7 never come back

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Probably VNs, I never really got to play any growing up since they were never translated for the US market, but 999 and VLR got me interested in the genre. Now hyped to try out Steins;Gate (loved the anime!) and the 3rd Zero Escape game.

PSqueak

Banned
MOBAs

Hated the original DOTA on WC3 (i liked more the coperative "clear wave after wave of enemies" mods more), and the first time i was able to enjoy a MOBA was the original Monday Night Combat.

Then some buddies ropped me into playing LoL and now it's one of the games i play the most every week.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's not really a genre I guess but F2P games.

I was originally extremely dismissive of them after realizing how bad F2P mmo's were but after playing quality as hell games like War Thunder and Warframe I've changed my mind.

Steel

Banned
Visual novels. Zero escape, ace attorney etc.

Really looking forward to Cyberpunk bartender, too. The demo that I tried recently was surprisingly good, despite the fact I was kind of wary of it beforehand.

The visual novel I guess. I used to mock it, but then games like Virtue's Last Reward and Danganronpa came along with their heavy emphasis on nothing-but-clicking-through-text segments and I enjoyed them. Had my first pure visual novel experience just recently with Steins;Gate and loved it, so I guess I've officially embraced the genre.

I do prefer when there is gameplay involved though, no matter how insignificant it might be. S;G really tried my patience there for the first few hours. If you're doing nothing but reading dialogue boxes and you're not invested in the story, like me for the first two or three chapters, then you're not going to have a good time.

If you're looking for gameplay elements, try out the Cyberpunk Bartender demo to see if you're interested.

Top Bottom