• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Countdown: Top Ten Straight Up Villains

Symphonia

Banned
Wesker is too low. That dude is the ultimate straight up villian, cheesy one-liners and complete global saturation and all. For shame, GT.

Kas

Missing one of my all-time favourites.

Handsome Jack.

Say what you want about the overall story of Borderlands 2, but Handsome Jack took the total cake of great antagonist. Funny, in your face, devious and smart. I loved this guy.

Playing this again since launch, and I agree. He's a perfect villain because he thinks he's a hero and he'll to any length to reach his goal.

Can't wait to see him in TPS.

Ganon was literally reincarnated out of pure hatred from THE demon of the zelda series.
But not every incarnation has manifested himself in the same way. There's definitely an element of corruption in some of the versions. Just his appearance in the Wind Waker alone is enough to verify this.

Zolbrod

I honestly wouldn't call 8, 9, and 10 "straight up villains" and I most certainly don't hate them.

10 is not a villain any more than any other mindless parasite, 9 is more lovable than anything else, and 8 is not as "straight up" evil as, well, the rest of the characters on that list, since he at least has character development and depth.

Rest of the list is at least accurate in that they're two-dimensional villains without any real nuance to them. And yeah, Luca Blight should definitely have been on there too.

Sesha

Disagree about Psycho Mantis, considering his post-battle cutscene. Bowser as well. He might consider himself a straight-up villain, as he often declares in the Mario RPGs, but his history as a character says otherwise.

And lol at the lack of Luca Blight/Suikoden 2 again. Nothing more to say about that.

Top Ten Straight Up Villains From Game Series That Have Sold Millions Upon Millions of Copies*

Sums up most lists from Gametrailers. They're all engineered to drum up forum debates and arguing.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd call Lavos in Chrono Trigger a straight up bad guy like Ganondorf. He always came off to me as a mere parasite, just doing what he had to do in order to survive. It just kind of happens that what he has to do ultimately destroys worlds, but I don't think it has anything to do with wanting a good laugh or whatever like Kefka.

That's why I find it a bit silly with how in Chrono Cross, they mention how he's "filled with hatred and sadness" and how he wants vengeance or something.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ganon needs to return, he hasn't been a villain in the Zelda series since Twilight Princess.

Where is Gary Motherfucking Oak?

Blue is a rival not a villain.

Beside Cyrus is the best villain in the Pokémon series as he actually achieved his goal, none of the other villains came anywhere close.

Garlador

My personal favorite villains didn't get a mention:
Pyramid_head.jpg

Ridley2.jpg

Dr._Eggman_Bios.png

AlbedoPiazzolla.png

phoca_thumb_l_shao_kahn3.jpg

Blueingreen

Lol no Volgin ? He's an angry russian that wants to start WW3 with lighting powers, that's the most american archtype of a straight villain ever.

Sorry, but this list is about as bad as the average GameFAQs list, it's nothing more than a selection of villains from million selling games that over a decade old regardless of how evil they actually are. Being a "straight up" villain doesn't have to mean Saturday morning kids TV tier.

Kain

This will sound pretentious as shit, I know, but this list was way too mainstream. Guess it makes sense as this is GT, but stil...

Luca Blight would have been perfect, although there was some kind of motives for his actions, but then again, of that list, there were a couple of characters that are not evil per se, namely

- Sephi was just disgusted at the thought that Hojo was his dad and he was half-alien, come on, tell me you wouldn't do crazy things if you learned that?

- Kefka was a normal guy who went crazy after the Magitek process. We really need more insight into Kefka's past.

- Ganondorf just wanted the wind to stop T_T (WW best Zelda)

- And I'm not so sure about Psycho Mantis.

Someone thinks Ganon is an anti hero?

Holy crap. Especially after Skyward Sword.

My niggle with this list is Sephiroth. Almost all his major villainous acts were actually carried out by Jenova attempting to carry out reunion while the real Sephiroth slept in the crater. If theu had talked more about Crisis Core and Zack's fate, sure. But they list the president and Aerith as his victims...nope.

Kinsei

Banned
Needs more Dahlia Hawthrorne.

huLWCwU.jpg

Yessss.

My niggle with this list is Sephiroth. Almost all his major villainous acts were actually carried out by Jenova attempting to carry out reunion while the real Sephiroth slept in the crater. If theu had talked more about Crisis Core and Zack's fate, sure. But they list the president and Aerith as his victims...nope.

Due to the shoddy translation and the young age of most players most people think that was actually Sephiroth you were seeing for the majority of the game.

border

Is Liquid Snake a "straight up" villain? The MGS series has such a ridiculously convoluted backstory -- is anyone a villain or a purely malevolent force who favors chaos and cruelty? After days of reading tedious Wikis to try and catch up, it seems more like everyone in this series is trying to rule the world but with some kind of high-minded goal.

I swear people never actually played FF6. Kefka is such a terrible one dimensional shallow villain. Dude is straight out of a crappy saturday morning cartoon. Ever other word out of his mouth is seriously just "Kill them! Get them! Destroy Them!" and laughing. He's so cliche it hurts. Maybe when you're 12 years old you think that makes him a good villain but we're freakin adults now. Completely impossible to take that character seriously. "Fooey there is sand in my boots!" ~ Kefka 1994. He is a joke.

agree with Kefka being one note and terrible. Luca blight from S2 was just straight terrifying.

I don't think Kefka belongs in this list for a different reason though- FF6 implies that he was an early recipient of the magitek process (the same one celes had) and that's what unbalanced him and drove him insane. Had celes gone first it would have been her. So...misunderstood, really.

Where is Dr. Wily?

this is a good call.

I swear people never actually played FF6. Kefka is such a terrible one dimensional shallow villain. Dude is straight out of a crappy saturday morning cartoon. Ever other word out of his mouth is seriously just "Kill them! Get them! Destroy Them!" and laughing. He's so cliche it hurts. Maybe when you're 12 years old you think that makes him a good villain but we're freakin adults now. Completely impossible to take that character seriously. "Fooey there is sand in my boots!" ~ Kefka 1994. He is a joke.
Its not about the dialogue, but rather the delivery. The actor who plays Kefka in your head is worse than mine.

Only half kidding.

I hate Lavos and don't think it has any redeemable qualities as a villain. Something with no humanity can't be a villain. Lavos is a force of nature.

That's really all I have to offer here.

He is not a video game character. Unless you're still calling Blue "Gary" in 2015.

I think YOU are the villain, here.

Somewhere beneath a pile of beautiful ladies probably.

This post is a joke.

Top Bottom