• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter games

Vexxan

I played most of the early games and I really enjoyed them. Would be interesting to go back to them to see how they have aged. Seems to me only the last few games were considered not as good, like the Kinect games. The Quidditch game was alright too.

Also, dat Jeremy Soule music.

Played quite a few of them.

Best ones:
Sorcerer's Stone (PS1)
Chamber of Secrets (GBC)
Lego Harry Potter 1-4 and 5-7 (PS3)

Okay:
Order of the Phoenix (Wii)
Half Blood Prince (Wii)

Eh:
Prizoner of Azkaban (PS2)
Goblet of Fire (NGC)
Deadthly Hallows Part 1 and 2 (PS3)

Never could get my hands on the Quiditch game, heard it was good.

ckohler

Don't forget this thing:

jk3Ev7pl.jpg

I really loved the GBC games. Now I want them to be released on the 3DS VC.

Awesome you were able to get actual speech on the GBC.

The speech was on the GBA versions, not GBC. GBC was capable (barely), but dang it would have been hard to cram it into the carts - as it was the games really filled up their cartridges, only a few bytes to spare. There was an unfinished GBC RPG, Mythri, that had electric guitar and orchestra hits in the soundtrack, though...

KDC720

I liked Chamber of Secrets when I was younger. I also liked the one where you could switch between Harry, Ron, and Hermoine and they each had different skills. I think it was Azkaban.

Quiditch World Cup was decent.

Jamie Walker was our Producer on HP 1& 2 for PS1. We never did the PS2 version. EA got another studio to do that. At the same time, Sefton Hill was working on a game called S.W.A.T for Xbox which was going to be a technical showcase for the machine.

Jamie & Sefton went on to start Rocksteady Games.

Oh shit, maybe we will get a Rocksteady Harry Potter game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I enjoyed Chamber of Secrets and Order of the Phoenix. Iirc they were the only ones that allowed you to free roam in Hogwarts

MUnited83

For you.
HP 1 and 2 for GBC were great RPGs.

Harry Potter 2 for the PS2 was also great. A shame that the PC version was a port of the PSX version(i think) and that one was completely different.

Mimosa97

Why aren't we getting any new HP games ? The fanbase is huge and there's a new movie coming up.

I played the shit out of Harry potter and the order of the Phoenix. Small open world, you could roam around Hogwarts and do whatever you wanted. The atmosphere was darker and more mature. Loved it.

SparkTR

Done right, this would be amazing. But I genuinely wonder if they could pull off schools dynamics, ecosystem and structure in a MMO.

I'm really surprised there wasn't one, given how so many other popular licensed games had MMOs back then (Matrix, LOTR, Star Wars). I doubt there'd be much interest today though.

Why aren't we getting any new HP games ? The fanbase is huge and there's a new movie coming up.

I played the shit out of Harry potter and the order of the Phoenix. Small open world, you could roam around Hogwarts and do whatever you wanted. The atmosphere was darker and more mature. Loved it.

Movie tie-ins and risky big licensed games are less and less these days. I'm disgusted with Marvel for instance, they'd rather chase the mobile game market. That said, WB are one of the few out there still going after it, with Batman and Mad Max.

Dominator

I remember getting 1000/1000 achievements on the HBP game (might have been OOTP, one or the other lol). I didn't hate them, they were solid fun.

I think WB will return to the franchise with a big game in a few years. The new movie series will definitely make Harry Potter more relevant than it is right now.

javadoze

Played the console versions of 1-3, Order of the Phoenix, and the GBA versions of 1-3 (which, besides the Prisoner of Azkaban RPG on GBA, sucked).

I'd love it if someone were to revisit these games and make a new open-world game (mainly following your own character progressing through school).

M.D

I wonder why they never made an MMO or even an open world game.. There's so much stuff they can explore, it's all just sitting there

Chamber of Secrets PS2 was my fucking jam. LOVED it as a kid, I swear I must have beaten it at least six times hahaha. I loved flying around Hogwarts on the Nimbus 2000 and crashing into people from hundreds of feet above ground lol.

My thoughts exactly, loved flying around hogwarts and the music was awesome. I remember one day my bro was home ill from school and he had unlocked the nimbus and gloated for about an hour about it lol

gerudoman

The GBC games were amazing, being able to freely explore a pretty big Hogwarts on a GBC was mind blowing back in the day.

Too bad I can't check if they hold up or not because I no longer own a GBC or GBA, there's no chance in hell they'll get released in 3DS VC and they're so technologically advanced Lameboy can't run them.

I also played the Wii version of Half Blood Prince, there wasn't much gameplay at all but graphics were really nice and Hogwart's recreation was very detailed.

Blues1990

For me, I have only played the Game Boy Colour RPG's (Philosophers Stone-Prisoner of Azkaban), but I never did check out the other licensed Harry Potter games.

Santiako

Thanks! I was actually responsible for most of the SFX in the GBC and the first 2 GBA games. Wasn't easy to get speech intelligible through such low sample rates and memory restraints, but it was a fun challenge! I've talked a bit about the sound in some previous threads here over the years. Cool to see people still enjoy these games!

Oh man, that's awesome. I've played hundreds of games, but ~15 years later those voice samples are still stuck in my head (and my brother's, we are almost 30 but we still shout Flipendo! or Alohomora! from the GBA game at each other from time to time :p). Great job!

I'm really surprised there wasn't one, given how so many other popular licensed games had MMOs back then (Matrix, LOTR, Star Wars). I doubt there'd be much interest today though.

The new series of films, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' may give a resurgence of interest.

Miracle

Damn shame we never got an Open World RPG set in Hogwarts.

An Open World RPG Harry Potter game spin off with you creating your own Wizard main character. Choosing which Wizard you want to be, and whether you want to live the full Wizard life, Quidditch pro life, or a total evil wizard life. As well as the ability to romance almost any male or female NPC you want (because why not?).

Seriously why is this not a thing? That shit would print money!

Mimosa97

Movie tie-ins and risky big licensed games are less and less these days. I'm disgusted with Marvel for instance, they'd rather chase the mobile game market. That said, WB are one of the few out there still going after it, with Batman and Mad Max.

I don't see how it's risky. You don't need a big budget. Just make it a nice open world game in Hogwarts. You don't even need to use the main characters from the franchise.

Sagely

An Open World RPG Harry Potter game spin off with you creating your own Wizard main character. Choosing which Wizard you want to be, and whether you want to live the full Wizard life, Quidditch pro life, or a total evil wizard life. As well as the ability to romance almost any male or female NPC you want.

Yesssssss. Persona-style life sim/dungeon crawler would also be perfect. Here's hoping the Fantastic Beasts film will make the world of Harry Potter current enough for a game to be a legitimate idea again.

This game:

kXz1iVU.jpg

Might as well end the thread now, seriously this game was friggen awesome, especially to me, being a huge Harry potter fan as a kid and not caring about sports this was my entry into sports games. I also love Chamber of secrets, really fun game, had some Zelda like elements iirc, it was one of the first ps2 games I ever got, I tried ootp not too long ago and while I appreciated hogwarts, the rest of the game felt sort of incoherent and just wasn't much fun, the most recent I put hours of my life into was Lego Harry potter years 1-4 on 360 five years ago. I love that game, it was a love letter to Harry potter fans everywhere. I tried 5-7 but for some reason didn't like it as much. Would love if those games came to bc or travelers tales put them out as one game or collection.

I always envisioned a hogwarts rpg, where you make your own character, form friend ships, and solve a mystery that will span your seven year stay at hogwarts, done by bioware.

SpotAnime

An Open World RPG Harry Potter game spin off with you creating your own Wizard main character. Choosing which Wizard you want to be, and whether you want to live the full Wizard life, Quidditch pro life, or a total evil wizard life. As well as the ability to romance almost any male or female NPC you want (because why not?).

Yesssssss. Persona-style life sim/dungeon crawler would also be perfect. Here's hoping the Fantastic Beasts film will make the world of Harry Potter current enough for a game to be a legitimate idea again.

Okay where do I send my money?

And thanks to the sound designer who joined in a few posts back - there was one thread that bestowed the virtues of those GBC games, which after reading I was able to score some CIB copies for a small price.

The GC Chamber of Secrets game was pretty good too. And dont forget Potter of War (Deathly Hollows) .

No there was nothing I can remember.

I recently started to watch a Let's Play of the first PS1 game on YouTube and had to turn it off after a few minutes. It can happen when you work on a game for so long. You get to a point where you've seen it just too much in your life.

you've worked on so many awesome games from my childhood, was a big fan of chamber of secrets and Ioved Croc, thanks man!

Tenrius

HP 1 and 2 for GBC were great RPGs.

Harry Potter 2 for the PS2 was also great. A shame that the PC version was a port of the PSX version(i think) and that one was completely different.

I believe the PC version was its own thing. I actually really liked it.

Theodoricos

I've played the majority of the PC Harry Potter video games.

I've always loved the first two of the bunch - The Philosopher's Stone and the Sorcerer's Stone, despite all their flaws. I really enjoy the aesthetic of the games and just how much there is to explore and how many secrets there are to find despite the games not really being open world. And that's exactly how Hogwarts is described in the books - filled to the gills with secrets!

The soundtracks by Jeremy Soule contributed to my enjoyment of them as well, even if they aren't quite as epic as the Harry Potter movie music made by John Williams.

I have nothing good to say about the most recent PC Harry Potter games though (with the exception of the Lego games that is, which are great). Angry Joe's review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows games sums up my thoughts on them quite well.

A fair amount of these were pretty enjoyable. I've played at least one version of each part of the series except for the Prisoner of Azkaban. Chamber of Secrets (GC/Xbox/PS2), Order of the Phoenix, and Half Blood Prince are probably my favorites. It's too bad that the Deathly Hallows games were so poor (the second was a pretty big improvement still.)

Top Bottom