• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Star Fox music is too rad

illadelph

ngduie4s9qes4smwfume.png

I've been playing this 16-bit masterpiece on my good ol' Super Nintendo in preparation for for the new game coming out later this year, and goddamn, the soundtrack has some jammin' tunes. The music combined with the crazy ass proto-3D graphics makes for what is arguably the most rad video game ever created. Discuss.

motherfuckin' CORNERIA

METEOR (awww shitt)

dat VENOM SURFACE doee

gotta have some crunchy BOSS TUNEZ

when you and your dope ass animal squad CLEAR THE STAGE

giphy.gif

4291476-starfox-snes.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
Neat OST for sure, and it sucks that the composer basically retired after Starfox 2.

It's also crazy that Miyamoto put Koji Kondo on the team and didn't let him write any music.

Nanashrew

Banned
That GOAT Corneria track. There's still nothing like it. Star Fox 64 and everything afterwards went more orchestral in sound and tone while the original uses so many unique sound effects and blend it in with guitar and synth like sounds. I still love the original Star Fox's music a lot.

So much variety in the music styles, it's a shame that's not nearly as true with the later entries...

I read that the composer only composed Star Fox and a prior NES game, then left the company. Star Fox 2 was composed by different people, but they kept the idea of having a variety of music styles. Its soundtrack isn't as good as the original's, but it's still worth listening to.

Best Star Fox game all around.

I love the music!

It really is, it has a much bigger emphasis on dodging obstacles flying at you (like in the OP's GIF) compared to later entries in the series, which focused more on fighting and all-range mode. It's a shame the graphics and frame rate are off putting to new players. I wish it got the remake treatment.

Great music, everything else trumped utterly and completely by SF64 though.

Well maybe not the voices, but they're so bad they're good in SF64.

On phone, but Sector Y the amoeba ocean was on a whole other level. Great music, unique atmosphere, really nice prelude to the final levels of medium difficulty.

The Final Guardian with the dog fight over Venom in hard mode, another nice one. And Macbeth's final boss, with that doomy music as explosions and rumbling and framerate drops are eeeeverywhere.

Too much good stuff to pick just one.

CO_Andy

Fuck Star Fox 64! I hate that every new SF is using that game as the basis.

The original was sooooooo much more epic. The John Williams esque soundtrack was godly.

daTRUballin

Nope. Nothing beats Star Fox 64 for me.

Never played the SNES one, but I did play SF64 a lot when I was younger, and I have a ton of nostalgia for that game. I still own it for my good ol' N64, and sometimes pop the cart in and play. Still a perfectly fine game to me!

@MUWANdo

Banned
I read that the composer only composed Star Fox and a prior NES game, then left the company. Star Fox 2 was composed by different people, but they kept the idea of having a variety of music styles. Its soundtrack isn't as good as the original's, but it's still worth listening to.

He did the Super Scope 6 OST and I've heard he did some preliminary work on SF2 but yeah, he left to form another company after a little while. They brought him back to do a tune for one of the recent Smash games, at least.

ReyVGM

Not just the music, but the sound effects were incredible too.

When your ship gets hit by a big object, you goddamn feel that "PRA TA TA!!!".

Abounder

Banned
'Play it loud' indeed

Loved the atmosphere for the game too. Much darker than the sequels, and the sound built the immersion

Lunar15

I was always disappointed when any new Corneria could never match the SNES original. Didn't know the composer of the SNES OST was one and done.

Well, two and done, but we never got Star Fox 2 despite it being pretty much complete.

Learning about that Afterburner song really took some of the luster off of Corneria for me. Not sure if it's homage or a ripoff.

But it rocks so hard it's still one of my favorites.

Fuck Star Fox 64! I hate that every new SF is using that game as the basis.

The original was sooooooo much more epic. The John Williams esque soundtrack was godly.

Holy shit. You get it. I thought I was alone. You're a good dude. Good head on your shoulders.

nkarafo

Yes, as much as i love Starfox 64 OST, this one is superior, by far.

The boss themes alone are some of the best.

Superior to everything that came afterward.

Damn right. It's a shame they didn't remix any of the first games tracks for the 64 version. Plus the midi on the 64 sounds like ass compared to the Snes samples. Tracks like Space Armada, Venom, Venom highway have so much more punch and power in the tracks that it sounded like a movie in the SNES game.

Also, dat intro sequence before the title is amazing, clearly can see the star wars influence with the ship flying over slowly.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Star Fox 64 music is pretty alright, it's a shame that SNES Star Fox exists, since it makes 64's music gutter trash by comparison.

It is the largest travesty in all of gaming that SNES Star Fox's soundtrack did not form the foundation for the rest of the series. I'd put the end credits theme up there with some of John William's best. And Corneria and the Boss Credits theme are just unbeatable.

FUCK!!!

Seik

Banned
Indeed, OP.

Not only the graphics were revolutionary, the soundtrack was also top notch.

Star Fox at it's very peak, the first one. Can't wait for Zero...

entremet

There's an orchestra version that's superb, part of the orchestral game soundtrack series released in Japan.

Josh7289

Totally.

There's an orchestra version that's superb, part of the orchestral game soundtrack series released in Japan.

Oh really? Now this is interesting, but I'm not sure how some of my favorite tracks would turn out because they're heavy on synth from the SPC700. Some of the electric guitar could probably sound badass with a real guitar though.

PBalfredo

StarFox's soundtrack is phenomenal. I love how it easily switched back and forth between Star Wars inspired orchestral scores and pumping synth rock and made it seem like the most natural thing in the world.

The main theme is so strong, I don't know why they stopped using it in further installments.

More highlights

Space Armada

Venom Highway

ReyVGM

Totally.

Oh really? Now this is interesting, but I'm not sure how some of my favorite tracks would turn out because they're heavy on synth from the SPC700. Some of the electric guitar could probably sound badass with a real guitar though.

Official:

Corneria Arranged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1JYqmJU8oM

Credits Arranged (awesome)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmM99v_th7k

Black Hole Arranged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n01fWKm0W4

Orchestral Game Concert Star Fox Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7kj9uj9TEc

Do we know if Starfox Zero will have any music like this? Or just that orchestral crud. (The music post SNES is Starfox's biggest wasted potential imo.)

Fantastic soundtrack, though I don't think it's straight-up better than 64's. They scratch different itches for me. SNES is more upbeat and driving, while 64's is more atmospheric and dramatic.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Superior to everything that came afterward.
Yes, absolutely.

The first game's soundtrack made it seem like a hardcore shooter like Gradius or whatever. Afterward it felt more like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Top Bottom