• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Over, $2 million funded]

Sanctuary

This is one of the few games I am hyped for. I actually ignored Original Sin, due to having just finished another BG2 run, as well as being more interested in Pillars of Eternity at the time, but then finally got around to playing it when EE came out. It's also one of the few games that I felt deserved the massive amount of praise it received, although it wasn't perfect (hopefully they fix the looping ambient chatter this time).

epmode

I love Larian so much. I'm going to PAX East so I think I'll stop by and hug <3 Swen <3. I'll provide updates from my cell.

Copper

Wow really like the new height system they have in combat now. I also like that bows shoot curved now, that always bothered me in the 1st one. I see a lot of UI improvements. Looks like the game is shaping up nicely.

Got stomped by my brother this morning. Player with the lizard wizard spawns way too close to the oil!

At least I got to walk away with a shirt to go with my wounded pride.

Anno

I like summoner, but bard would have been preferred. Hopefully there's an expansion or something down the road that adds some professions.

It's also interesting how much play the PvP matches are getting in early coverage. Seems like it could be something fun.

Labadal

Really hyped for this!

Loving what they have been showing off and I can't wait to see what they will show us in the near future.

epmode

Adaptive music! HOORAY

(They've already mentioned it but it's great to hear confirmation that it's actually in the game)

I still totally <3 Swen, BTW.

Wrynnax

Swen's enthusiasm is just so damned infectious. I'll bet he's a blast to work for.

I thought I read somewhere that Larian is one of the few game studios that doesn't work with temporary contracts, Swen wants every person that's hired to have a long term employment. So yeah, I think he's awesome!

StereoVsn

Don't really like the Memory attribute. One thing I would have liked is better utilization of memorized spells, more variety, etc. and having to deal with small number of skills/spell slots sounds annoying. Hopefully there will be a mod for that!

Eusis

it rhymes

WTF why are lizards a proud majestic race... they are lizards!
They'd just retort that we are overgrown monkeys and have no right to be proud or majestic ourselves.

I mean, monkeys throw shit at each other. Do you see lizards doing that?

Durante

Looking very good -- what's particularly remarkable is how Larian's UI is always on point. It looks better both aesthetically and from a usability point of view in this pre-alpha than what many RPGs ship with.

Swen's enthusiasm is just so damned infectious. I'll bet he's a blast to work for.

Definitely. He always seems so happy and bubbly. Even the music for the kickstarter update videos is happy and makes you just want to tap your foot.

Really hyped for this game though.. The character creation screen looks great, and you can tell they're really working on improving from the original, which is awesome. That tag system also looks really good, and I'm hoping it will wind up having a large effect on the amount (and nature) of choices available (or not) to you. .

epmode

Don't really like the Memory attribute. One thing I would have liked is better utilization of memorized spells, more variety, etc. and having to deal with small number of skills/spell slots sounds annoying. Hopefully there will be a mod for that!

It depends on how they balance it.

If Memory replaces the first game's solution, where you could only memorize X skills per skill level, I'm all for it. The original method required the user to research entire skill trees before deciding which skills to memorize (lest they waste a limited slot on a comparatively bad skill). This was made especially difficult by inconsistent skill book availability at vendors. With Memory, you can use any skill book you want and the tough decision becomes which skills you want available during combat.

Everything is looking very good and that text intro is off-the-charts. The character creation in particular looks amazing--lots of personality and promise. (Though they didn't show Undead...) Memory is a smart addition to solve the issue of progression--really evokes D&D, to me.

One thing I hope for is example noises from the instrument of choice, because heck if I know what those sound like. Definitely a cool idea either way, though.

Oh, and Larian's video updates are always entertaining and informative. I love them.

ghibli99

Looking very good -- what's particularly remarkable is how Larian's UI is always on point. It looks better both aesthetically and from a usability point of view in this pre-alpha than what many RPGs ship with.
Agreed. It's the first thing I noted when he sat down at his PC in this latest update.

I've never played any of their games, missed out on this KS, but I went ahead and ordered DOS EE for PS4 this afternoon. I'm pretty excited to try it out. :)

Mivey

inXile should outsource their UI department to them. Would be worth every penny.

kionedrik

Regarding their UI I hope they change 2 things from the first game:
- How AP are displayed (just show us a flat number instead of green pips on top of the spell bar).
- Give us some more spells slots per bar or let us show 2 bars at once.

Santiako

I must fit an Original Sin EE play through in before this comes out. Only played the original and I loved it so much.

Same, I'm going to do an EE playthrough as soon as I'm done with No Man's Sky. The original is already in my all time top 5. I really love the game.

Top Bottom