• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker

Not sure looking at the Women's board....Genie is starting against Jankovic....? sigh,another short tournament for her...

And Jimmy Connors...? what the hell lol.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I got Djoker and Serena. I'm still not convinced Murray can beat him in a best of five. He always runs out of gas.

They were 10-8 before 2014, and I think Murray is basically back to form (how unlucky was it he met Djokovic 8 times in 2014...), so I think he stands a good chance.

LuuKyK

Not sure looking at the Women's board....Genie is starting against Jankovic....? sigh,another short tournament for her...

And Jimmy Connors...? what the hell lol.

No? Her first round is against Alison Riske, a player she already beat this year. 2R against Diyas who she bagelled this year, so its a good draw for her.

zero_suit

They were 10-8 before 2014, and I think Murray is basically back to form (how unlucky was it he met Djokovic 8 times in 2014...), so I think he stands a good chance.

I hope you're right...

His first serve percentage needs to be in the high 60s, though.

I hope you're right...

His first serve percentage needs to be in the high 60s, though.

if you saw the rogers cup final his serving was super clutch and over the past couple of months he's improved his ability to use his serve to get out of tight spots he might not have in the past.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure Serena just clinched the US Open series, so she will get an extra million dollars if she wins the US Open

Yup, she did, as Halep pulled out. If Serena wins she will get the biggest pay-out in tennis history as she'll also get the calendar slam bonus offered by the ITF, plus the US Open series pay-out, plus the US Open prize money. In fact, I think it might be the biggest individual pay-out in any sport, something like $5.8 million.

EDIT: No, second largest after the FedEx cup apparently, but close.

zero_suit

Yup, she did, as Halep pulled out. If Serena wins she will get the biggest pay-out in tennis history as she'll also get the calendar slam bonus offered by the ITF, plus the US Open series pay-out, plus the US Open prize money. In fact, I think it might be the biggest individual pay-out in any sport, something like $5.8 million.

Excellent, but she's long past the point of caring about money.

EDIT: No, second largest after the FedEx cup apparently, but close.

Thanks for the info! What's the FedEx cup?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Mind you, if Murray wins and Serena doesn't, Murray will have received the biggest single pay-out in tennis, as he won the US Open series and the prize money has risen since the last time.

Hope Borna can humble Mowgli a second time. Love this rigged draw against Kyrgios. There's absolutely no way he can beat Murray, he has absolutely no weapons to hurt him. Nick better hope he is a Michael Jordan type athlete and something has awoken in him, in that he gets better when everyone is against him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Pliskova won it since she played three events and reached the quarters this week. Her points got doubled.

ugh, so she did. Man, the double points rule is the worst. When Querrey and Pliskova are the 'winners' of the 'US Open series', something has gone wrong.

MIMIC

Banned
Novak has a very nice draw (for once). I approve.

Most aren't expecting much from Nadal....and neither am I. And although I don't think Coric is quite ready to take out Nadal in a best of 3, it'll definitely be a must-see 1st round match.

Novak has a very nice draw (for once). I approve.

Most aren't expecting much from Nadal....and neither am I. And although I don't think Coric is quite ready to take out Nadal in a best of 3, it'll definitely be a must-see 1st round match.

You're going to rile up Fed and Murray fans with that! lol. Also, it's a best of 5 sets in slams

Diamond

This could be Nadal 1st slamless year since 2005?

Since 2004 even !

Speaking of Nadal, he apparently declined to play with Kyrgios in an exhibition match : http://nypost.com/2015/08/27/big-name-star-refuses-to-play-with-tennis-bad-boy-nick-kyrgios/. Interesting article as you can read the McEnroe bros opinion on Nick.

After quickly looking at the draws, for the first round we also have Kokk-Gasquet, Haas-Verdasco and Nishikori-Paire that could be entertaining.

Oh, and Robby Ginepri retired. He was in the USOpen semies 10 years ago, lost against Agassi in 5 sets.

Since 2004 even !

Speaking of Nadal, he apparently declined to play with Kyrgios in an exhibition match : http://nypost.com/2015/08/27/big-name-star-refuses-to-play-with-tennis-bad-boy-nick-kyrgios/. Interesting article as you can read the McEnroe bros opinion on Nick.

After quickly looking at the draws, for the first round we also have Kokk-Gasquet, Haas-Verdasco and Nishikori-Paire that could be entertaining.

Oh, and Robby Ginepri retired. He was in the USOpen semies 10 years ago, lost against Agassi in 5 sets.

I thought the USTA should have given Robby a wild card, but they only care about the young guys

John Dunbar

correct about everything
just to think that only 10 years ago two americans were playing against each other in a grand slam semifinal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the USTA should have given Robby a wild card, but they only care about the young guys

Yeah, I was surprised by that, seemed a little disrespectful. If the young guys are worth their salt, they can come through the qualies anyway.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Man, stars like Ginepri just make you pine for the strong era of tennis.

;)

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Tennis.com expert picks

1 each for Fed, Murray, and Djokovic, all 3 picked Serena.

Men's preview Tennis.com

He has Djokovic over Monfils and Fed over Murray in the semis, Djokovic over Fed in the final. Monfils is kind of an odd pick to have so much faith in, but I guess that's the most questionable section of the draw.

Women's Preview Tennis.com

Same guy as the Men's preview above. Has Serena over Svitolina and Halep over Stosur in the semis, Serena over Halep in the final. Stosur pick is way crazier than the Monfils one imo.

Sports Illustrated: 2015 U.S. Open men's seed report

He has Djokovic over ??? and Federer over Murray in the semis, Djokovic over Federer in the final.

Didn't see anything on ESPN yet.

Poor CiCi. And Nishioka is hanging on by a thread right now....

Yeah no kidding. It's 5-5 in the third set and Yoshi has already saved 3 match points.

Only US man to qualify was Tommy Paul. He's an 18 year old that just decided to go pro last month. He was originally going to play for UGA but decided to sign a Nike contract instead.

yoeaAn.gif

Yoshi wins!!

Nishioka pulled through!

You should also post the lobe he hit over Zverev when Nishioka was inside the service line.

Zverev just won his first set and Rublev is serving for his.

Any Americans here should probably fill out men's and women's brackets on the US Open website. The two winners will get a trip to the US Open next year (during the first week).

oti

Banned
Wanted to get another month of Europsort Player for this but they still don't support Chromecast and I just can not handle Microsoft Silverlight anymore. That thing should be illegal.

Serena going for GOAT status, even though Graff stans will say Serena doesn't win her early rounds in dominant fashion like Graff did.

Yup.

Though only an ignorant person would say that.

You can say what you like about the top women, but the depth is dramatically better than it was back in the day.

woodchuck

Got tickets for next Sunday. I just want to see roger play. Don't care if he's just warming up. Just want to see a glimpse of the GOAT in person

mcfrank

Any Americans here should probably fill out men's and women's brackets on the US Open website. The two winners will get a trip to the US Open next year (during the first week).

Thanks for the heads up. Filled mine out. Going to Roland Garros next year, would be fun to win this trip and go to the U.S. open as well.

i'm kinda warming up to the WTA, i mean the level of play is still absolutely terrible but having players to root for helps immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom