• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update for Plex on PS4 now has Miracast-like ability | Plex pass still required

So Plex sent out an email about new features being added to their PS4 app

Not sure if anyone cares or whatever but for those who might

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/08/27/a-m...on_updates_2&utm_campaign=PlayStation+Updates

20929672745_bca0f598cf_b.jpg

20929672655_9c79d31741_b.jpg

Plex for PlayStation 3 and 4 has gotten beefed up with some awesome new features that bring you the great big-screen experience that you have come to know and expect from Plex. As always, there are also lots of small user experience improvements and general clean-up of the app experience.

The PlayStation app is not available in all regions. For a complete list of available regions, click here.

Check out the new goodness

• Plex Channels
    Watch media from supported services, such as Vimeo, TED Talks, Soundcloud, and more*
  • Plex Companion
    Fling content from another Plex device to your PlayStation for large screen viewing
  • Filtering and sorting
    Slice and dice by genre, director, record label, and more to quickly find what you're looking for
  • Trailers and extras
    Enhance your movies with extras, and automatically play trailers before your movies for the ultimate cinema experience
* Feature currently available on PS4 only.

I'm pretty sure you still need the plex pass or whatever it is to use right?

Plex Companion sounds exactly like Chromecast (Miracast?) and I think AirPlay? (can never remember what these things are called

It was pointed out to me that the wording implies Plex Companion is not really like Miracast and is limited to plex content

2015-08-26-at-7.17-PM.jpg

Originally posted this in the last PS4 Plex thread I could find but thought it might be better as it's own thread

Lock if old

nOoblet16

This is great, I can now watch stuff from Netflix etc on my Television. Couldn't until now because my Television does not have Miracast.

*In case anyone is wondering why I don't just use PS4 for Netflix the problem is that I live in UK and I wanted to use American Netflix which I can only access via a VPN.

androvsky

I think it just works with Plex content, and since there's not a Netflix channel, it won't work. I get the impression it's nothing like Miracast, and more like a youtube companion app.

I think it just works with Plex content, and since there's not a Netflix channel, it won't work. I get the impression it's nothing like Miracast, and more like a youtube companion app.

Hmm never thought about that

Here's the description on the blog

Plex Companion

You can now easily fling media from other Plex apps to the big screen. Keep the music going when you get home, or keep your cat entertained by flinging mouse videos from your phone right to her TV (your cat does have her own TV, right?). You will need an up to date media server for this feature.

I think you're right?

Maybe a mod could edit in a more appropriate title then?

nOoblet16

Wait, if it only plex library then how is it any different form what we have right now where we just put stuff in the library and let it play wirelessly on PS4?

Top Bottom