• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity has a 50% female player base, was reason for highlighting Ahsoka

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I was looking at John Vignocchi's twitter to see if he was providing any comical reactions to Disney Infinity's reviews when I noticed he posted this Wall Street Journal interview.

Wall Street Journal said:
Vignocchi said the decision to highlight Ahsoka, a female Jedi apprentice to Anakin, tied into surprising demographic data about Infinity’s players, adding that they expected a split of 70% male and 30% female. “With Disney’s IP treasure chest of powerful and strong female characters, we actually are seeing a split with Infinity that’s more 50% boys and 50% girls,” he said.
Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015...-all-of-star-wars-not-just-the-force-awakens/

He also tweeted up this ad, which is probably more prominence than Gamorra has otherwise received to date in marketing materials for anything:

CNbrQRIUwAEHd7m.jpg:large

YES AND GOOD.

But let's remember that we should also push strong female characters through male demos, too. Which, to be fair, if they thought the split was 70/30, they were doing somewhat.

Now bring out more female-centric play sets!

But I am glad that younger female players find a game as major as this welcoming and appealing.

Neoxon

Hopefully we get more awesome women in the game *looks at Scarlet Witch & Wasp*. Captain Marvel will likely be in 4.0.

mreddie

Great, but those disney girls need playsets.

Blame Disney Animation, they were really secretive about the Frozen production and they locked out Avalanche with only concept art, the figures of Anna and Elsa were made I believe days after Disney officially revealed them.

TEJ

Hopefully we get more awesome women in the game *looks at Scarlet Witch & Wasp*. Captain Marvel will likely be in 4.0.

Is rapunzel already a figure? If not she should be.

So should Sargeant calhoun from wreck it ralph.

I'd have preferred an Anakin/Obi-wan set, with Ahsoka a separate purchase but they likely figured Obi-wan would do better in individual sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They expected 70 30?

Really? I would've guessed like 55 45 tbh. But maybe that's hindsight bias....

Thats what I would expect toy and video game marketers to think.

It's based on market data. 70 30 is probably really generous for the average game.

Specifically, it was based on Skylanders having an ~80%/20% split when they were preparing to launch the first game, and them figuring their game had a bit more appeal to women.

Blame Disney Animation, they were really secretive about the Frozen production and they locked out Avalanche with only concept art, the figures of Anna and Elsa were made I believe days after Disney officially revealed them.

Disney was so weird about Frozen. They had hardly any merchandise made up for post-release. They didn't anticipate Frozen to be a big success, and Tangled didn't merchandise well.

And then, boom, Frozen fever. Disney was SCRAMBLING to monetize on its suddenly enormous and underserved fanbase.

Ramenman

The result of that is all good news, don't get me wrong.

But the thinking behind it implies, again, that little girls want to play female characters and little boys want to play male characters. This implication always bothers me and I find it silly.

"we found out lots of girls play our game so we highlighted female characters for our female audience !!!" Ugh.

It's like if they were saying "we found out lots of chinese people play our game so we decided to add this Mulan play set !!! *super proud* "

Oh well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

But the thinking behind it implies, again, that little girls want to play female characters and little boys want to play male characters. This implication always bothers me and I find it silly.

"we found out lots of girls play our game so we highlighted female characters for our female audience !!!" Ugh.

It's like if they were saying "we found out lots of chinese people play our game so we decided to add this Mulan play set !!! *super proud* "

Oh well.
This is something they commented on a bit actually way back after the first game:

Variety said:
– Boys aren’t showing signs of veering way from the girl characters in the game. In fact, “The Incredibles'” Violet and Mrs. Incredible have provided popular because of their super hero powers. Disney expects “The Avengers'” Black Widow to have the same appeal.

“At first we were told we have to be careful with Rapunzel joining all of the male characters, but we’ve made the female characters so powerful,” Vignocchi said. “Boys don’t mind playing with girl characters.”
Source: http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...by-the-success-of-disney-infinity-1201268283/

That said, they basically wanted to make sure that when you bought the starter pack, you'd have the option of using a guy or girl to reflect their audience.

It's generally assumed by parents that a video game will be good for their young boys, but that's not always true when they're deciding what to buy for their young girls.

Neoxon

you mention awesome women then say captain marvel. That is an oxymoron

should have said Ms.America or Angela
They're likely focusing on the MCU characters or the ones in the cartoons. As such, only Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Captain Marvel, & Ms. Marvel have a shot.

mreddie

Disney was so weird about Frozen. They had hardly any merchandise made up for post-release. They didn't anticipate Frozen to be a big success, and Tangled didn't merchandise well.

And then, boom, Frozen fever. Disney www SCRAMBLING to monetize on its suddenly enormous and underserved fan base.

Compare to BH6 which had merch BEFORE the release.

TEJ

Awesome.

When i buy di3.0 i will be picking up

Aladdin
Jasmine
Rapunzel
She hulk (she's in right?)
Captain america
Nick fury
Ultron
All the guardians of the galaxy
Darth vader
Iron man
Spiderman
The zootopia characters
The incredibles characters
Anna and elsa
Big hero 6 characters.

I'd be lying if i said this was only being bought to have an xbox one game my nephews can play... It's mostly for myself.

Oh well.

Yeah, it is kinda backwards thinking, but unfortunately that's just a construct of the society we live in. In the toy store, there are "Girl Aisles" and "Boy Aisles". My wife and I stress to our daughters that toys are gender neutral. My 5 year old plays Disney Infinity with me, and although she does show a slight preference to the female characters, she loves playing the male characters as well.

The important thing to take away from this is that they are at least providing some good diversity with character selection and bringing in ample female characters, even if their motives for it are somewhat strange.

Stanng243

Awesome.

When i buy di3.0 i will be picking up

Aladdin
Jasmine
Rapunzel
She hulk (she's in right?)
Captain america
Nick fury
Ultron
All the guardians of the galaxy
Darth vader
Iron man
Spiderman
The zootopia characters
The incredibles characters
Anna and elsa
Big hero 6 characters.

I'd be lying if i said this was only being bought to have an xbox one game my nephews can play... It's mostly for myself.

You're going to be a bit disappointed then. I don't think She-Hulk exists yet, and neither do all of the 3.0 figures. They release in waves spread out over around 9 months.

TEJ

You're going to be a bit disappointed then. I don't think She-Hulk exists yet, and neither do all of the 3.0 figures. They release in waves spread out over around 9 months.

I knew that about the 3.0 characters, i don't plan on buying all these at once.

Though no she-hulk is a little dissapointing.

Zalman

They're doing a pretty good job when it comes to attracting female players. I watch their videos every now and then and they often mention their commitment to having a wide variety of female characters.

Trojan

Great news to hear. It's important for the culture and industry to have strong tentpole games with these demographics. Disney in particular knows how to cater specifically to females, so i can see this gender split for Infinity increasing in the future.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
They're doing a pretty good job when it comes to attracting female players. I watch their videos every now and then and they often mention their commitment to having a wide variety of female characters.

They definitely know how to cater to their audience. Meanwhile DC goes around cancelling cartoons popular with females because they don't know how to sell them action figures.

...I'm really just still hurt about Young Justice.

Isurus

I appreciate the female focus, as both my young daughters play Infinity and both love Ahsoka.

Now if I could only get Disney to add White Tiger to the Marvel collection...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
My girls LOVE infinity and they want every "girl" character available. We still don't have the green chick from Guardians (forgot her name)

Briarios

Yep.

image_376ac6b5.jpeg

OP is Violet. She's the most hard to find figure because of her powers.

I love Violet in the game! Her power set rocks.

Also, it was stated they found people spending far more time in the toy box than they expected, as opposed to the play sets

Platy

Half of the avaliable cast for the game are princess and cute characters and "omfg 50% girls" ???

I hate people in suits =P

you mention awesome women then say captain marvel. That is an oxymoron

should have said Ms.America or Angela

Marvel playset is based on MCU (with the addition of Spider Man because he's Spider Man), not the comics in really any way. I'd have to check and make sure, but I don't think there's a single character they've done that hasn't been in a movie.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Dont worry, so did Disney marketing.

Gamorrah, right? Yeah, there are no figures of her (outside of Infinity), really nothing at all which is surprising as prominent as she is in the film.

My girls haven't seen GotG yet, they just think the green girl with the sword is cool. Too bad they don't sell her individually yet.

Marvel playset is based on MCU (with the addition of Spider Man because he's Spider Man), not the comics in really any way. I'd have to check and make sure, but I don't think there's a single character they've done that hasn't been in a movie.

Its a stupid excuse considering
1. Spiderman's is based on the cartoon, White Tiger is like the #2 of that group.
2. Avengers set heavily featured Captain Marvel & Wasp, yet other characters absolutely nobody wanted or ended up buying like Yondu & Ronan get figures.

Should have just cutYodu from Guardians and added another Avenger

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I knew that about the 3.0 characters, i don't plan on buying all these at once.

Though no she-hulk is a little dissapointing.

There is a Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) team-up power disc, though. She's pretty awesome to have as a call-in.

mreddie

Its a stupid excuse considering
1. Spiderman's is based on the cartoon, White Tiger is like the #2 of that group.
2. Avengers set heavily featured Ms Marvel & Wasp, yet other characters absolutely nobody wanted or ended up buying like Yondu & Ronan get figures.

Should have just cutYodu from Guardians and added another Avenger

They added Yondu because he was the darkhorse in the movie. Agreed on Ronan.

Top Bottom