• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else underwhelmed by Halo 5's visuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShamePain

Banned
Looking at new screens and all:
Cz89qb8.jpg

X1OaPib.jpg

LZSU6hZ.jpg

It looks okay, but really the entire scene looks flat or something, there's next to no shadows or reflections going on, something that's been a big focus with the shift to PBR this generation. And Halo 5 just kinda looks like a slightly upgraded Halo 4?
I mean jeez, this is what a launch game for ps4 looked like and 2 years later Halo 5 can't match it?
vaTA4ae.jpg

d11c53f1_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-1716-31-13-439.png

7cfc20e6_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-1716-24-44-247.png

What do you guys think?

RoKKeR

It's a locked 60fps game, so no, I think it looks just fine.

This doesn't seem like a productive discussion, especially when you start off with pictures of Killzone, a completely different game with different goals/scope.

Yeah I played the beta and it looked really rough but i gave it the benefit of the doubt since the full game was still far away

The newer screens and footage look a bit better but it's still pretty underwhelming

Looking forward to an intelligent and insightful debate here . . .

Personally, I think it looks fantastic and the fact they set out the goal of 60fps to improve gameplay performance supersedes shiny bells and whistles, for me anyway.

Fbh

Looks great for a 60fps game.

Hell..I actually liked Killzone Shadow Fall. But it only got to 60 fps in multiplayer if you looked at a rock on an empty area of the map

Conduit

Banned
It's a locked 60fps game, so no, I think it looks just fine.

It isn't in singleplayer ( according to recent frametest videos from Gamescom ). Multy almost, but singleplayer for now isn't. Well, will see soon. But surely they go in right direction.

btkadams

Is halo 5 going to be 1080?

I think the environments look pretty good but Master Chief does look really flat in that picture.

daman824

It isn't in singleplayer ( according to recent frametest videos ). Multy almost, but singleplayer for now isn't. Well, will see soon.
According to recent framerate tests it dropped only in one section. The rest of the demo was locked.

Considering that was most likely an old build, I'd say the game is going to be locked

R3TRODYCE

They look bad especially for a game releasing two years after launch. I wish they would have stuck to 30fps and made the game look better.

Whompa02

I actually felt the same way when looking at the first screenshots and videos for the game.

It doesn't seem like anything monumental in its graphics. Then again, neither did Halo 2.

Killzone: Shadowfall does look better, obviously.

That all being said, it looks like it plays like Halo.

The overall levels look nice and up there, the is a definite lack of special effects, but nothing too major. I won't even entertain the KZ comparison.

They are focused on 60 FPS so the visuals will take a hit of course, but I don't think it looks bad by any means. It should look great in motion.

Halo 5 is 60 FPS in campaign as opposed to Shadow Fall, so that comparison is a bit iffy.

With that said, I think Halo 5 being impressive comes entirely down to the environment being portrayed. Some, like the desert, look great. Other's look too much like Halo 4 with the art direction.

RyudBoy

I'm an Xbox fanboy and I don't think the graphics are that impressive at all.

I think they should've went the 30fps campaign/60fps MP route to make the former look better.

antitrop

Nah, looks solid as fuck for a 60fps game.

It doesn't look better than Advanced Warfare, though. That's still the 60fps graphical standard on consoles.

I think the graphics are fine, but i feel that 343 just isn't being very creative and its showing in the graphics. Like i said in the other thread, the MP 4 on 4 maps all seem like futuristic industrial designs. I mean, i refuse to believe that these guys don't have more talent than this. A lot of what makes games visually impressive comes from the details, like the lighting, the weather, the skyboxes, etc. I see nothing original here and that's what worries me more.

LewieP

I've not really been blown away by the graphics of a Halo game since Halo 2.

Subsequent games look fine, but not really a huge leap over what has came before them.

I'm also not fond of how they have gradually got less and less colourful.

New game looks OK, certainly not bad,

Nope, looks good. Though they might even be bullshots, judging on the lack of aliassing (watching on iPad though).
These are perfectly fine indoor screens.
Halo was always a game with more or less minimalistic environments indoors.

timlot

Banned
I mean jeez, this is what a launch game for ps4 looked like and 2 years later Halo 5 can't match it?

Halo has its own art direction. I'm not a fan of it, but thats the look they are going for. As far as Killzone being some type of benchmark 2 years ago, Ryse.

small improvements and running one of last gens best looking games at double the framerate--seems about what I'd expect from the xbox one hardware wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom