• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to worry about Notch?

I hope he'll be okay. I don't really know what he expected, it seemed kind of weird that the first thing he did was buy a giant house away from his home country and start partying with strangers. I don't understand how that could be fulfilling for anyone.

Money can't buy you everything, should have been clear to him even when he was not rich.
I always think to myself I wouldn't fall into that trap of changing your lifestyle when becoming rich, I doubt I will ever be rich to prove it though.

I believe that wealthrichness is only good when nobody else knows that you are. Fame will evaporate the fun out of it.

He can live like someone making 50k a year and it won't matter. Everyone knows him, and knows that he has that money. It's one search away if they don't already. That changes every interaction he has. He knows he has access to that money too. Even if he gave it all away, he would have known never wanting for anything.

He doesn't seem super enthused about the game industry. Who can blame him? He needs to find a passion or something rewarding outside of the industry.

That's true, I was more thinking about his behavior, going to party with celebrities and stuff. I don't blame him for feeling that way, but I was wondering how that would work out.

oti

Banned
Doesn't sound too good but I'm gonna be honest and state that I have a hard time relating to his problems.

There are many people with tons of money that are able to deal with the social anxiety and issues that come along with it, and live normal lives. Especially nowadays in the tech world. Chances are he was like this before the Microsoft buy out, and is just the way he is.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The compassion you have for a fellow sufferer of depression is really quite revealing.
Ask yourself this: why would a person suffering from years of depression necessarily have more energy to spend on empathy towards someone like Notch than a mentally healthy person?
Some depressed people might feel empathy towards him but is it really reasonable to expect as much or more from them?

NotLiquid

Some people have to deal with depression AND poverty.

It's a sad state of affairs when some people are convinced that everyone has to be "worse" than them in terms of societal standing in order to gain their sympathy.

I don't know if it's jealousy, naivety or both.

Painguy

I don't like to see anyone upset or sad, but honestly he's just hurting himself. He sold out himself and his friends, and now he's feeling all alone. What did he expect? I know some people here are saying that money doesn't exempt those who have it from being able to express sadness or depression. This is true, but if you have more money you are most certainly in a better position to fix yourself up compared to those who don't have much. It's harder to feel sorry for someone who has plentiful resources to better themselves than for those who do not. In this case it is hard to feel especially sorry for notch. Again, that's not to say I don't feel bad for him at all, but I definitely don't empathize with him. He just needs to start chillin' with peeps more like himself.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
He needs direction by the sounds of it. And some real friends.

Also, wow at all the ingrates that got six figure bonuses and called him cheap.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The amount of money he has combined with a potentially serious depression sounds like a really risky situation, if he falls into doing drugs. Hope he seeks help and finds a healthy solution to all of this, if it's a serious as it sounds.

DeaviL

Banned
Yeah, but he did it on Twitter. I don't think that helped his cause.

I do have sympathy for the guy and his problem(s), he's just talking to the wrong people about them.

To be honest, he should be talking to a psych and from what i've noticed,
in the EU a psych is often seen as "someone insane people need" instead of "someone to help with mental problems".

That view sure doesn't help.

daninthemix

Create a new company and go back to making games using his own money and donate all profits to charity.

It would give him something to do, create jobs and help the less fortunate.

You are assuming he has sufficient empathy to give a shit about the less fortunate. Studies have been done that demonstrate the wealthy, in general, have less empathy than ordinary people.

Ban Puncher

I never knew GAF was filled with so many qualified WebMD's who could accurately diagnose severe depression from the content of a few tweets.

No wonder so many people make 'Should I Go To A Doctor?' threads on OT.

derExperte

McAfee and Notch should team up in some jungle somewhere, John could probably teach him a few things about wasting your millions with style. And we'll get a movie out of it eventually.

Spyware

Ask yourself this: why would a person suffering from years of depression necessarily have more energy to spend on empathy towards someone like Notch than a mentally healthy person?
Some depressed people might feel empathy towards him but is it really reasonable to expect as much or more from them?
Not having the energy to care is one thing. Calling someone "big, fat billionaire cry baby" and saying you live to laugh at them is something completely different.

d9b

Banned
Woody-Harrelson.jpg
Perfection.

I expected better of GAF.
Yes we should all be wringing our hands. Everyone's got problems. I'm not saying "fuck that guy" but I find it hard to start getting bent out of shape over a few random developer's tweets. Hell, some of you people have him on suicide watch already.

Good job with that generalization and acting like everyone here has said dumb things. You're not exactly making anything better.

What they're trying to say is that everyone has their own problems. It's like my mom telling me I should finish my plate because there are kids starving in 3rd world countries. I mean, yeah, I'm grateful I have the privilege to eat my meals every day but if I'm full I'm full.

People in this thread are saying Notch has no place to be depressed because he's super rich and can just spend money to do things and feel better. That's not how it works. Even worse, people are making fun of him.

Stuart444

Some folks have brought up the "How can we tell if he's depressed based on some social media posts?" which I think is a valid point.

Some people like to use social media to vent out their feelings. It's basically their thoughts and many times without a filter. (look at the people who get fired for saying the first things that come to their head)

He could just be experiencing some #RichPeopleProblems or however you want to describe it and airing our his frustrations via social media.

Have a search on social media platforms and you'll see many people post a lot of depressing things about their life or how they feel. Do they all have depression? Or are they just using social media as an outlet for their feelings? (Similar to using a diary before the internet became widespread).

A lot of possibilities and since none of us know Notch personally, I don't think ANY of us have a right to say one way or the other. Maybe he's been depressed since waay before he sold Minecraft? Or maybe he's not depressed and just airing out some personal grievances?

None of us have a right to say or judge really.

I would have expected some form of compassion and understanding, not a bitter almost hate fuelled tirade.

DeaviL

Banned
I never knew GAF was filled with so many qualified WebMD's who could accurately diagnose severe depression from the content of a few tweets.

WebMD is great though.
Browsing through it, i have noticed that i probably suffer from several severely crippling illnesses and deadly diseases.

Spyware

He's accurately describing depression in the tweets. I've also (unlike many in this thread it seems) followed his journey from when Minecraft was the smallest little thing and read about him and things he said for many years.

Slavik81

No, but it helps and having a ton of cash does give you some security in life... which is a hell of a lot more than a lot of people have in this world.

At least he doesn't have to worry about where the next meal is coming from to feed his kids.
Imagine you have everything that anyone could ever want and you're still unhappy. You should be happy... but you aren't. The problem is within you. It cannot be fixed by buying things. There is no escape from yourself.

That is a pit of despair.

Yes, mild depression and anxiety.
OK, maybe don't imagine that.

I should mention that a doctor can help.

There are many people with tons of money that are able to deal with the social anxiety and issues that come along with it, and live normal lives. Especially nowadays in the tech world. Chances are he was like this before the Microsoft buy out, and is just the way he is.

Seems like that is the case from what I'm reading.

gai_shain

Some of the responses here are absolutely disgusting

also this
Um yeah, i'm actually a little disgusted. Millions of dollars is the cure to depression guys! Someone call Robin Willaims. Him exposing himself like this on twitter is a little revealing, he must be having seriously isolating thoughts. As someone in therapy, i hope he reaches out to someone who can help.

Numb

depression is a horrible thing and i hope notch can sort stuff out, its never as easy as just doing something else.

Thing being if he actually has it even being in his position.
What i can't believe is people thinkiing someone like him simply can't have it.
Money helps ALOT lot with it but not 100% free of ever getting it.

chiimisu

I would have expected some form of compassion and understanding, not a bitter almost hate fuelled tirade.

Sorry, I'll probably never be a person good enough to sympathize with a person having billions $ in his pocket, having myself around 80$ on my own bank account till the end of next month and suffering from depression.

kevm3

I'll never understand why he got a mansion in a city of famous people. Why is he trying to join that clique instead of hanging out with people like himself?

People constantly hitting him up for money or thinking he owes them free stuff because he has a ton of money.

NEO0MJ

It's a sad state of affairs when some people are convinced that everyone has to be "worse" than them in terms of societal standing in order to gain their sympathy.

I don't know if it's jealousy, naivety or both.

I's mostly that unlike most people who's financial situation block them from trying different things to deal with their problems they see him as someone who can do something about it but instead goes to social media and complains how he has it too good. Of course people are going to have a negative reaction to him.

vareon

I'll just hope he gets on his feet and start making stuff again.

What intrigues me is what "assholes" that made him sold Minecraft, though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
OK, maybe don't imagine that.
What?

The depression got better by itself after I exercised and took care of myself (My weight was the cause of my depression)

I'm on medication for my anxiety, the exercise again helped but not enough for me to not need help.

Top Bottom