• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So you can Slave Trade on a Steam game now

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Do we know if it will have trading cards?
No cards, just chievo's.

An adventure game where you play the role of a slave making the transatlantic voyage to the new world. This particular game doesn't appear to follow a strict historicity (might be distasteful to some) but I wouldn't discount a game based on the previous just because of its subject matter.

I don't think many people would be against a game like that. The subject is absolutely interesting and I think everyone would benefit as a whole if a game tastefully broached the subject and taught people what actually happened, this isn't that. I didn't play the AssCreed game that had the one free female slave, but I thought the idea was okay and it's execution was pretty tasteful in my opinion. I thought AssCreed 4's take on slavery was interesting too. It showed how terrible it was without making it look so ridiculous like this garbage.

EBE

I don't think many people would be against a game like that. The subject is absolutely interesting and I think everyone would benefit as a whole if a game tastefully broached the subject and taught people what actually happened, this isn't that.

Yeah I get you. But I think that's a setting and story that would absolutely be worth investigating in videogame form. Slave communities in Latin colonial American are especially interesting for their vibrant cultures and histories.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yeah I get you. But I think that's a setting and story that would absolutely be worth investigating in videogame form. Slave communities in Latin colonial American are especially interesting for their vibrant cultures and histories.

We are in the same boat my friend. I would love to see something like that.

Well it is a history game. And accurate too. Just look at this screen shot:

linkfilter

YES! That's a mouse! Humanoid mice were very well-known slave traders.
Yep I remember my Great Great Granfather telling us about a mouse with an exclamation point over it's head...

Gruso

Slave tetris was very real unfortunately.

slavery-slave-ships-granger.jpg
That """screenshot""" is an actual diagram of how slaves were packed on ships.

I was skeptical at first. I thought it was just some simplistic old world art that shouldn't be taken literally. But I did some digging, and sadly it seems I was wrong.

http://www.bl.uk/learning/timeline/item106661.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookes_(ship)

Are there people in this thread that didn't know how close together slaves were packed on boats?

Did you not take history in high school at all? Or do they just completely skip over how bad slavery is in some states?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Are there people in this thread that didn't know how close together slaves were packed on boats?

Did you not take history in high school at all? Or do they just completely skip over how bad slavery is in some states?

I went to high school in South Carolina, which at the time was 49 outta 50 worst schools in the country and they taught this. I'd be surprised if people weren't taught this in other states.

Slave Tetris is just a reskin of Plague Corpse Tetris from the first game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_7ZBi28j_w#t=31

Is there a single original idea in this game?

There are states where they are trying to make it illegal to teach that kind of thing for fear that it promotes "negative" ideas about America.

Gruso

Well, there are people from countries where there was little reason for it to be taught. But for those who are in the US, it's not a stretch to imagine that some curricula might have skipped some of the finer logistical details.

In Australia, we were taught about the atrocities committed against Aboriginals... to some degree. As an adult now approaching middle age, I still regularly learn things that were left out.

It's an edutainment game for kids, it's a tool for teachers and parents.

It's whether this subject should be approached with kids? There's novels and TV series that are good tools for older (early teens), as it's pretty obvious with the mouse this is for younger children.

Did anyone else watch the series Roots when they were in school?

I was shown that in elementary school and i can remember some of those scenes to this day.

EBE

Did anyone else watch the series Roots when they were in school?

I was shown that in elementary school and i can remember some of those scenes to this day.

Not elementary but I did watch it in the 7th grade. Cool history teacher. We also saw Lawrence of Arabia. As you can imagine, those lasted several days a piece. Which was fine by us kids.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It's an edutainment game for kids, it's a tool for teachers and parents.

It's whether this subject should be approached with kids? There's novels and TV series that are good tools for older (early teens), as it's pretty obvious with the mouse this is for younger children.

Is there a debate on whether this should be taught to children?

I absolutely believe this should be taught to kids seeing how most children are very open minded on things they don't know about and can view things from an unskewed perspective. I hate how stupid some people think children are(I'm not talking about you btw). Teenagers on the other hand......

Is there a debate on whether this should be taught to children?

I absolutely believe this should be taught to kids seeing how most children are very open minded on things they don't know about and can view things from an unskewed perspective. I hate how stupid some people think children are(I'm not talking about you btw). Teenagers on the other hand......

Its not about how stupid is child is, it how long their attention span is. Cartoons engage kids and mean they don't switch off as soon as if it was just a suit explaining it to them dryly.

RE_Player

I'm tempted to buy this. Never had a game in my Steam library that was pulled off the market before. We all know it's a matter of time.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
After watching the trailer, aside from the slave tetris. I don't find this very distasteful and I'm black. I think any game that centers around slavery is gonna disturb/rub people the wrong way, but that is always the case when dealing with slavery.

I thought, well, this is tasteless and easy to ignore until that last screenshot.

Steam needs content controls asap.

Or maybe the idea is that the casual presentation and callous treatment of the subject matter is meant to underline the inhuman treatment of slaves at the time.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Its not about how stupid is child is, it how long their attention span is. Cartoons engage kids and mean they don't switch off as soon as if it was just a suit explaining it to them dryly.

Na, I don't buy that for one bit.

If a kid is getting bored, it's because the teacher isn't doing their job. It can easily be taught at a pace that keeps a child interested. I learned about this stuff in the 4th grade and in high school. I remember being super intrigued in the 4th grade because I couldn't believe that their was a whole race of people that were slaves. It never entered my mind until that point that you could at a few different points in history, own a person. And at first I remember thinking, "so they were like butlers?" and the teacher more or less said, "you are in for a ride, shit is crazy."

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Well, seeing the fact that a lot of people are uneducated in how bad it was, maybe this game has a purpose to help fix that.

The idea behind the game absolutely has a purpose and should be further explored. No one is debating that. It's the execution that's the problem.

jwk94

I'm more surprised that some of these people are from the US. I thought it was required to go over that in school.

_Isaac

I haven't finished the let's play video yet for this, but is this that much different from a game like Valiant Hearts? They made gassing people into a Bioshock hacking minigame sort of puzzle. Did that game get that much hate like this one?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I haven't finished the let's play video yet for this, but is this that much different from a game like Valiant Hearts? They made gassing people into a Bioshock hacking minigame sort of puzzle. Did that game get that much hate like this one?

edit: read this wrong. I apologize.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It wasn't, but I was talking about Valiant Hearts, which I believe was historical non-fiction.

Even still, that game was done with much better taste and goes to show the atrocities of war and the hell's that people from different countries and nationalities had to go through. It's even presented in a way that isn't necessarily "fun".

Aselith

It wasn't, but I was talking about Valiant Hearts, which I believe was historical non-fiction.

My understanding is that Valiant Hearts actually took its subject matter seriously and gave horrible things the appropriate gravity though? It's not making bad stuff into a game mechanic so much as how it's approached that is the issue.

Horrible things can be a joke even if approached correctly but this game doesn't seem to be actually satirical so much as just making slavery into a light-hearted romp of a game. Ya'know...for the kids.

_Isaac

My understanding is that Valiant Hearts actually took its subject matter seriously and gave horrible things the appropriate gravity though? It's not making bad stuff into a game mechanic so much as how it's approached that is the issue.

Horrible things can be a joke even if approached correctly but this game doesn't seem to be actually satirical so much as just making slavery into a light-hearted romp of a game. Ya'know...for the kids.

I'm a bit more into the video. It seems like they had similar intentions to Valiant Hearts where they wanted to show you the horrors of this era along with some historical facts, but dang the execution really falls on its face. I guess it's really hard to strike that balance where it's gamey like Valiant Hearts, but just not tacky. Plus it's hard when you don't have the funds like Ubisoft to get top of the line voice actors, artists, and musicians.

213372bu

Banned
This game has been around for around a year now in its complete state.

Allshamnowow did a 2-part video on it before Jim Sterling, and his playthrough goes to show a lot of the fucked up options.

Including bartering for the highest amount off slaves possible while lying to your sister that you made the best deal for her!

Slave tetris has to be the worst though.

--
IMO, playing it out sounds more like a twisted joke than a game for kids. Like the way it is structured is just... off.

Edit: Seems the game is 2 years old and the AllShamNoWow game is about a year ago.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm a bit more into the video. It seems like they had similar intentions to Valiant Hearts where they wanted to show you the horrors of this era along with some historical facts, but dang the execution really falls on its face. I guess it's really hard to strike that balance where it's gamey like Valiant Hearts, but just not tacky. Plus it's hard when you don't have the funds like Ubisoft to get top of the line voice actors, artists, and musicians.

Yeah, I can't imagine it's an easy subject to game-ify. But I do think if you can't do it well, move on to something you can.

Maybe they can do a Jew hunting game. Nothing like re living the holocaust. Maybe I'll find my family before they die!
Truely a screwed up idea.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Maybe they can do a Jew hunting game. Nothing like re living the holocaust. Maybe I'll find my family before they die!
Truely a screwed up idea.

You play as a Jewish Pacman and you are trying to collect the Stars of David for your country, but the Gestapo ghost's just won't leave you alone! You have now learned that the Gestapo were evil.

Shit, now I gave them an idea.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This "game" is just too confusing;

The intention looks good, but the sheer lack of tact, nuance and tone just work so much against it.

To work it needs to show a certain degree of how nasty, gritty and sad the situation was, without going so far to scare people away. The education needs to be built more into the content of the game, rather then in pop ups showing small encyclopedia entries.

Probably the strangest attempt at an edutainment game I've seen in many years.

Gruso

This "game" is just too confusing;

The intention looks good, but the sheer lack of tact, nuance and tone just work so much against it.

To work it needs to show a certain degree of how nasty, gritty and sad the situation was, without going so far to scare people away. The education needs to be built more into the content of the game, rather then in pop ups showing small encyclopedia entries.

Probably the strangest attempt at an edutainment game I've seen in many years.
I have a few tabs open, and thought I was reading this about Mad Max. It sounded perfectly reasonable until the last sentence made me check the title.

Top Bottom