• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Player Rep is a JOKE

Sez

Hunt only good players? I remember once, the Russian hockey team was playing the french (???? not sure, but doesn't matter)

It was like 10-0, so the coach told them they had to make at leastt 3 passes before shooting on net. It got to 12 (13) - 0
He made a new rule. Only allowed to score if yu were skating backwards

It can be done, People don't need to be dicks all of the time.

I would feel insulted by that, thats like actually mocking about the other team.

atr0cious

Have you ever thought....

Hey, I could mentor a player like this

or

Maybe I will let him out of the corner before killing him

or

Maybe I will ignore him totally

or

Ha...I will let him kill me and he will feel so good

There are lots of things you can do. No one is forcing you to do anything

Its just a video game

Wait, are we really at the point where we have to literally treat other players like they're our petulant little brother who keeps punching holes in the walls because he can't fucking complete a pass in Madden?

Hunt only good players?

I remember once, the Russian hockey team was playing the french (???? not sure, but doesn't matter)

It was like 10-0, so the coach told them they had to make at leastt 3 passes before shooting on net

It got to 12 (13) - 0

He made a new rule. Only allowed to score if yu were skating backwards

It can be done

People don't need to be dicks all of the time.
How do you think the other team felt knowing they sucked so bad the other team was literally unlocking achievements during the game?

JeffG, lol. The reputation system is there to curb things like abuse of game systems and harassment. Using the reputation system as a griefing tool because you got beat is a flagrant abuse of the system that doles out inordinate punishment - the inability to matchmake successfully - out to players for the sole crime of being good at the game. And the system doesn't differentiate between things like whether or not you're actually being an asshole, or whether or not you're just enjoying yourself by playing the game well, and someone else got pissy from losing so they decided to negative rep you to avoid you. It's not up to the player to compensate for his opponent's lack of skill, like, 'mentoring'? giving them free kills out of the kindness of your heart? what the fuck are you talking about? That's what proper matchmaking systems are for - to balance skill levels between opposing teams, so that there's no need to entertain stupid fantasies like that and players can enjoy playing against people at their own level. Abuse of the reputation system which leads to someone's matchmaking ability becoming unfairly compromised is absolutely not a valid response to getting your ass beat in a game, man.

JeffG

I would feel insulted by that, thats like actually mocking about the other team.

Because your good enough to know that they are doing that.

Someone who can't get his head out of corner without dying might not know that he was "allowed" out of a bad spot and let him run and gun for a bit before getting killed

Just saying

(I do understand what you are saying...I get that. Its not like we are talking about a perfect situation. Its tying to make chicken salad from chickenshit)

atr0cious

Have you tried that?

I used to do pistols only in CoD games because the perk system was so broken it was all you needed. Then I stopped playing the game, because I realized I shouldn't have to penalize myself to make something interesting. If you feel the need to report someone for spawn camping you, you should instead go complain on twitter to the devs for making a terrible game loop.

Dr McKay

Neo Member
The issue how the rep system works differently on Xbox One. If you're a skilled player then newbies might hit "avoid" on you to avoid being pitted against you in future. Another playing selecting avoid marks your reputation low.

If it happens enough you can even get banned.

Drencrom

I love playing ice hockey with people that can't skate.

I love putting those fuckers through the board or deking around them and scoring top shelf.

Man that makes me feel sooooo FUCKING powerful!!!!!!

They should all just go back to playing checkers.

yes...Its always someone else fault. (Seems to be an ongoing theme)

Hate to break it to you....

You choose to do this...not the game...not the devil

You and you alone

If you can't see that, then there is no help for you.

Almost a text book case of unsportsmen like behavior.

Thats why I think it is so funny that you guys are surprised you get a bad rep.

lol

Have you ever thought....

Hey, I could mentor a player like this

or

Maybe I will let him out of the corner before killing him

or

Maybe I will ignore him totally

or

Ha...I will let him kill me and he will feel so good

There are lots of things you can do. No one is forcing you to do anything

Its just a video game

What the hell...

Do you actually think people deserve to get reported for being too good at a game? Being better than others and winning is "unsportsmanlike behavior"? lmao

Not only are your arguments horrible, but you're also defending this shitty rep system that locks out competent players because crybabies with your mindset reports them because they lose against them fair and square AKA locking out paying customers from a game for no reason.

It's the game's fault if there are 'cheap' tactics for better players to utilize them and win over lesser skilled players.

Sez

Because your good enough to know that they are doing that.

Someone who can't get his head out of corner without dying might not know that he was "allowed" out of a bad spot and let him run and gun for a bit before getting killed

Just saying

(I do understand what you are saying...I get that. Its not like we are talking about a perfect situation. Its tying to make chicken salad from chickenshit)

One problem is that those people who want to avoid people better than them, they want to play with people worse to do exactly that, to crush them and mock them.

I used to play a MMORPG and everybody hated high level players, but everybody wanted to be like them.

People do not want to change the system, we just become mad for the place we have on it. The noobest player on any game will brag when he finally wins something, its something natural.

yes...Its always someone else fault. (Seems to be an ongoing theme)

Hate to break it to you....

You choose to do this...not the game...not the devil

You and you alone

If you can't see that, then there is no help for you.

Almost a text book case of unsportsmen like behavior.

Thats why I think it is so funny that you guys are surprised you get a bad rep.

lol

What? Playing the game to win is unsporting? What koolaid are you drinking?

All we are doing is playing and playing well. Not cheating. Not being unsporting. Not harassing people.

Sheesh.

Better just to kill the scrubs then.

Ahhh...you edited it. lol Didn't mean to throw you into the scrub killing herd.

throw me in the herd, i'm good at other games and was just trying to take a stab at a Gears in-game equivalent to the ridiculous idea of 3 passes skating backwards.

Now im grinding a bit Neverwinter to get my Rep up again lol
Some people on reddit recommended that. I hope it works so that i can play normally next month again

Drencrom

Now im grinding a bit Neverwinter to get my Rep up again lol
Some people on reddit recommended that. I hope it works so that i can play normally next month again

Grinding another game to up your rep so you're able to play another game...

Actually, I am not making any argument

Other than...you have choices.

(and a bit of commentary on..."You reap what you sow"

Carry on and kill the scrubs

I have to cut my grass

Man, you don't make a lick of sense. But your insinuation that people deserve to get bad rep for being competent at a game is laughable either way.

Omega

Banned
There really needs to be a way to completely ignore someone. I'm not sure why I still have to see JeffG's posts because someone quoted him

RdN

If you read the Halo Community Update from August 21, they clearly admit that the system is flawed and completely open to being abused.

The Xbox Enforcement team disabled the Block feature in the game in order to avoid further abuse. However, players are still very welcomed to exploit the "Bad feedback" feature in order to get others into the "Avoid Me" rep and still not play with them.

Recently, however, we noticed that some players were using blocks to avoid playing against upstanding players, as well as negatively impact their rep, specifically in ranked play. As this was never the intent of the system, the Xbox team has pushed out a recent update that will ignore player blocks in the following (ranked) MCC playlists.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-community-update-8-21-15

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
In a weird way, I can actually understand Halo and Gears being the main cause of this issue. They're both pretty horribly inconsistent in multiplayer which frustrates people to no end.

I'd be surprised if you had this issue in Titanfall or CoD. I'm not necessarily trying to say which games are "better", but I found in my experience that when I died in CoD or Titanfall, I generally knew why and didn't find it complete bullshit (although BLOPS 3 is doing its best to change that). In Gears and Halo (unless it's SWAT), it can be incredibly annoying to use really inconsistent weapons like the Halo 3 BR or the Gnasher in Gears. Easily the most inconsistent weapons I've encountered in any multiplayer games I've ever played.

So while deep down I'm sure these people reporting you know you're not cheating, they probably don't realise what effect their reporting is having on your experience.

joecanada

man, if Battlefield players were as salty as Gears players, my rep would be in negative numbers.

Ya but Battlefield is zero fun during basecamping spawnkilling anyway. Whether you are doing it or getting it. It's boring and the team quits out anyway. Also you have 30 other players helping you out its not really a showcase of any one persons skill

The original Gears community was one of the most shit-stirring and toxic I've experienced online, and a big part of the reason the Xbox 360's party chat became such an oasis of sanity in an otherwise match-made post-apocalypse. So the idea of rep becoming an issue again with the Gears remaster seems fitting.

Its completely reasonable to think that these systems could be exploited and griefed, but my spidey-sense kicks in when it comes to the idea that a lot of people affected here are just "really good" players and nothing else. My gut's telling me the truth is to be found somewhere in the middle, but tweaking the system and maybe even providing some guidelines (like defining sportmanship) could help.

The original Gears community was one of the most shit-stirring and toxic I've experienced online, and a big part of the reason the Xbox 360's party chat became such an oasis of sanity in an otherwise match-made post-apocalypse. So the idea of rep becoming an issue again with the Gears remaster seems fitting.

Its completely reasonable to think that these systems could be exploited and griefed, but my spidey-sense kicks in when it comes to the idea that a lot of people affected here are just "really good" players and nothing else. My gut's telling me the truth is to be found somewhere in the middle, but tweaking the system and maybe even providing some guidelines (like defining sportmanship) could help.

Honestly, even if you are right that some people "deserve" bad rep so to speak, it honestly doesn't matter in most cases. The rep system in and of itself is flawed.

Player shouting/trashtalking into the mic? Mute him!

Player is insufferable to play with? Block him and party up with good people!

Player is using glitches? Complain to the devs that their game code has problems written into it and needs patching.

The entire rep system is up to interpretation and has no checks or balances. It's a completely worthless system.

joecanada

There is a defence force for everything. There is no exception.

Why do you have to use that word? Please...

Sorry I probably learned the word here I didn't know it was considered offensive I use it only to refer to the specific video game reference of base camping

Remember kids, spawn camping is unsportsmanlike. It is annoying no matter which side i am on.

it can be fum

vH76ICr.gif

Remember kids, spawn camping is unsportsmanlike. It is annoying no matter which side i am on.

Utilizing game flaw =/= unsportsmanlike

People will play to win in competitive settings. You have to adapt or wait for a potential patch.

Besides, in the context of Gears of War, respawn gametypes generally suck something fierce. Most competitive players play Warzone or execution.

(you are probably being sarcastic, but w/e)

Omega

Banned
Spawn camping isn't a flaw. It's how the that ruleset is supposed to work. You can't have people spawning in random spots because then you get people spawning behind you or right next to you. Calladuties have done that and people complained, rightfully so because it's stupid.

If you don't have the attention span to wait 60 seconds or so for the next round, then you have to put up with the potential for spawn camping. Games are about map control, your goal is to take control of as much of the map as possible.

Utilizing game flaw =/= unsportsmanlike
Utilizing game flaws is exploiting, not cheating, but I don't see how anybody could call that sportsmanship.

But I also don't know what sportsmanship means when it comes to Xbox Live.

There is a difference between play-to-win and being a good player though, just as there is a difference between winning and having a good game.

It was pretty obvious this would happen from when Microsoft announced this. I don't know how oblivious they were to think this would work when you are dealing with kids and teenagers.

JeffG

This is probably the cringiest thing I've ever read in my entire life.

Also, Jeff, are you eating paint chips before you post? I really don't understand the poifn you're trying to make and your thought patterns make no sense whatsoever.

Eating paint chips?

Interesting

Chobel

LOL at JeffG posts!

Jeff, you took your hate for JumPeRJumPzZ to the next level, you're defending everything he dislikes now.

Sarobi

Banned
Makes me want to avoid playing Gears now. Hopefully they can resolve this for the people who are getting false reports.

Off topic: That Xbox DVR site is neat. I watched your video and clicked the "make gif" option and idk what I did, but it made a really good loop gif! http://i.imgur.com/QLbqjhF.gif

The Xbox Live rep has been worthless for 10 years now. They are never going to fix it.

If enough people complain they might. It's already negatively impacted their already flawed MCC, so who knows they might listen. The Gears UE is supposed to generate more success and hype for Gears 4...i doubt they want something to stop that hype.

Makes me want to avoid playing Gears now. Hopefully they can resolve this for the people who are getting false reports.

Off topic: That Xbox DVR site is neat. I watched your video and clicked the "make gif" option and idk what I did but it made a really good loop gif! http://i.imgur.com/QLbqjhF.gif

Oh wow I didn't know you could do that!

Head.spawn

I did my part, tweeting this thread to higher ups.

I haven't faced this issue (maybe because I suck), but I can definitely see how this could be insanely annoying.

Yeah this has been a known problem since the XB1 launched, although it's becoming more prevalent lately. My friend fell victim to it because he is extremely good at Halo and was stomping people in Halo:TMCC. In a matter of days his rep went from 'good' to 'avoid'.

More recently, just over the past few days my rep has dropped from 'good' to 'needs improvement'. I know why, because I've only been playing one game. Apparently people don't like Trickster Rogues, especially the ones who kill them a lot, in Neverwinter PvP. I've been consistently going anywhere from 10 and 1 to 30 and 0, averaging around a 15:1 k/d playing on my rogue. I think I had a string of 8 or 10 matches without a single death. And that also just happened to be the day (yesterday) that I noticed my rep had dropped to 'needs improvement'.

I'm not going to lie and say I've never sent spiteful message to other players, because I have a few times, but those instances were reserved specifically for players using what are, in my opinion anyway, broken builds that the devs really need to nerf/patch out of the game. Rogues are already a massively overpowered class even with a basic PvE/glass cannon build. But there are permanent-stealth and chain-stun builds that make rogues not just overpowered, but downright broken. I have zero respect for people using those builds, and I've gotten into heated discussions with a few of them about it considering my experience in how overpowered I already feel playing as a 'normal' rogue. A couple of said conversations actually went quite well and the players I talked with agreed that it's a broken build but were content using it until if/when it's patched/fixed. But the others... lets just say I'm not proud of some of my messages. But out of the thousands of players I've played against, there have only been a handful that I've said not-so-nice things to, so I know for certain that isn't what led to the negative rep. It's largely just from killing people too much, too easily.

Wanna hear the really sad thing? I actually made attempts on several occasions to be sporting about it. If my team was trouncing the opponents, I would go into /zone and /say channels and state that I was backing off to allow the opponents to capture control points to at least gain SOME glory from the match (glory being the game's PvP currency). I would ask my teammates to do the same. A few times my team cooperated, and the opponents would (sometimes) thank us for the 'mercy rule' mentality, so they could get something out of the match. More often than not, though, my teammates would continue spawn-trapping the opponents once we got the upper hand, and I'd be left to my devices jumping around in circles on my mount because I felt like it was overkill to continue spawn-trapping/spawn-killing people needlessly.

My point is that despite my best intentions to behave sportingly, I still got enough negative feedback, presumably by people blocking me, that my rep fell, just because I choose to play a class that is generally disliked and become quite good at said class. I've seen plenty of rogues that barely break even or even go negative k/d. I highly doubt they're receiving much negative feedback. Likewise, I've seen hunters and clerics that are a massive nuisance, one being a hunter I team up with sometimes, and it just so happens his feedback has gone down too from playing 'too well' in Neverwinter. So it apparently isn't just restricted to rogues, but rather to skilled players.

People abuse the rep system unfortunately. They don't even have to report you though, and might not even realize they're abusing it. If all they do is 'block' you in the hopes that they won't run into you again in matchmaking (kinda the whole point of the system originally, to get people more at your skill level), it still gives you negative rep. The 'report' function is something that's supposed to go higher up the XBL chain and potentially lead to people getting banned if they are regularly sending harassing message to people or other such nonsense, but from what I've noticed the 'report' function rarely does anything, although it may lead to bad rep as well. But as I said, if you excel at any particular PvP/versus mode, and enough salty crybabies 'block' you out of fear of facing you again, your rep can and will drop. The solution is to play something else with versus matchmaking where you don't care about winning, or are legitimately bad, enough that your rep goes back up if you're very concerned about it.

I did my part, tweeting this thread to higher ups.

I haven't faced this issue (maybe because I suck), but I can definitely see how this could be insanely annoying.

Thanks man I really appreciate that. I dont have Twitter.

Yeah this has been a known problem since the XB1 launched, although it's becoming more prevalent lately. My friend fell victim to it because he is extremely good at Halo and was stomping people in Halo:TMCC. In a matter of days his rep went from 'good' to 'avoid'.

More recently, just over the past few days my rep has dropped from 'good' to 'needs improvement'. I know why, because I've only been playing one game. Apparently people don't like Trickster Rogues, especially the ones who kill them a lot, in Neverwinter PvP. I've been consistently going anywhere from 10 and 1 to 30 and 0, averaging around a 15:1 k/d playing on my rogue. I think I had a string of 8 or 10 matches without a single death. And that also just happened to be the day (yesterday) that I noticed my rep had dropped to 'needs improvement'.

People abuse the rep system unfortunately. They don't even have to report you though, and might not even realize they're abusing it. If all they do is 'block' you in the hopes that they won't run into you again in matchmaking (kinda the whole point of the system originally, to get people more at your skill level), it still gives you negative rep. The 'report' function is something that's supposed to go higher up the XBL chain and potentially lead to people getting banned if they are regularly sending harassing message to people or other such nonsense, but from what I've noticed the 'report' function rarely does anything, although it may lead to bad rep as well. But as I said, if you excel at any particular PvP/versus mode, and enough salty crybabies 'block' you out of fear of facing you again, your rep can and will drop. The solution is to play something else with versus matchmaking where you don't care about winning, or are legitimately bad, enough that your rep goes back up if you're very concerned about it.

I also read that you should be able to find games when partying up with a friend no matter what.

My friend hasnt been on Gears for 2 days so I cant play it at the moment. lol

Crayon

Back in the day I got thrown in a trash can for being to good at mortal kombat 2. So I think I understand.

Top Bottom