• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV 4: Gaming will be major focus

JCreasy

Apple’s new Siri remote, akin to the current Apple Remote, will utilize a standard replaceable battery so users will not need to frequently recharge the device like an iPhone or Apple Watch. For gaming purposes, the remote control will have the built-in motion sensors introduced in the iPhone, as first noted by TechCrunch, so that it can be used as a steering wheel for car racing titles and similar games.

More at the link: http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/31/apple-tv-gaming-siri-bluetooth-remote/

Discuss

cbox

Mobile games on tv? No thanks. I'm surprised at the battery coming from apple, seems many people gave Microsoft crap for putting AA batteries in the xbone controller.

inner-G

Banned
If it doesn't have a dpad and buttons, it'll be DOA.

I can't imagine the wiimote like thing to play angry birds on the TV being a big deal. You could already play those on your TV. Maybe a Bluetooth controller would help.

That said, I don't see it replacing a system for a 'core' gamer, but I'm sure they're not really expecting to.

What is it, late 2000s?

Although if they will implement IR pointer which I doubt) and geomagnetic sensor (like in iPhone and Wii U GamePad), Apple TV's remote will be a nice successor to Wii Remote... oh wait, it doesn't have buttons or detachable sticks.

Guevara

Assuming day-one:

• You can play Minecraft, the older GTAs, many indies, etc.
  • With a controller
  • Thanks to the account system, most people already will have a game library (and gaming friends)
This thing should do pretty well.

Kill3r7

AppleTV never quite reached the success of the iPhone but if it ever does it will definitely have an impact on the industry.

ukas

Assuming day one:

• You can play Minecraft, the older GTAs, many indies, etc.
  • With a controller
  • Thanks to the account system, most people already will have a game library
This thing should do pretty well.

That's also assuming you've never had a computer.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Same thing was said about Fire TV

yes and no on this (I actually mostly agree with it).

Huge Apple fan, but yeah... I mean if it's basically a rehash of the Fire TV, it will fail (the gaming portion). Devs will have to make compelling experiences. And while there are absolutely compelling experiences on iPad and iPhone, it remains to be seen how many of those will translate over to the control scheme they are talking about.

Now one thing being left out is if the new box supports MFi controllers, well then you have an ACTUAL PS360 capable console.. BUT historically Apple has only allowed MFi controller support as an "also", not an "only".

tl;dr - for this to really have a chance as a game platform, devs need to bring compelling experiences to the device (which may be easier said than done) and Apple will have to allow for games to REQUIRE MFi controllers if needed.

BiggNife

Beginning of the end for consoles.

goodbye sony and MS

I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes, I know it's Apple, and Apple anything is a big deal, but I'm not really convinced people will go head over heels for motion controls again. The Wii fad is over.

And Amazon has been trying something very similar with the FireTV and it seems to be going absolutely nowhere.

scitek

In order the anything like this to take on consoles, it will have to convince current console customers to buy it. I just don't see that happening.

Dunlop

Argh, for the first time ever I was planning to pick up a AppleTv as none of our Canadian streaming services are on Roku for whatever reason.

This sounds like it will bloat the price up for features few seem to want : (

scitek

Mobile didn't try to take on dedicated handheld gaming devices, yet here we are.
I'm not saying it can't be successful, I'm saying even if it is, consoles will still have a place, and enough people to support their continued existence.

It's like the notion Microsoft and some people have that if every Xbox One game were made available on PC, all gamers would suddenly decide to put up with the complications of PC gaming, ignore the convenience of a console, and build a gaming PC overnight.

Troy

Banned
It's going to support all those bluetooth controllers that no one ever bought for iPad and iPhone. Look out, Sony and MS!

SMattera

Small form factor. Low power consumption. The iPhone is more popular in Japan (relatively speaking) than any other market.

First American-made console to succeed in Japan?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Watch out, Ouya. You might not survive this. ( ๑‾̀◡‾́)σ»

Good luck Apple.

They would be in a better position if they cleaned up their app store. And if they have Mac gaming streaming, or support for steamos.

Nzyme32

Beginning of the end for consoles.

goodbye sony and MS

I'm sure you guys won't leave your consoles, and I doubt people will want to replace a console with an Apple TV, but if Apple is good with anything, it's marketing and the casual user. They have the potential to increase demand for gaming in a casual sense, which could eventually prove very lucrative as it has on phones by sheer ubiquity of the devices. If this drags some of those casual users away from their console purchases, enough to effect the consoles, you can bet Sony and Microsoft will start to push the same agenda. While not doom and gloom for the consoles, I'm pretty sure there would be a fuck load of complaining, especially if it gets to a point where some developers choose the more lucrative path.

Of course this is all hypotheticals, and could just be a fart in the wind

I'll be honest in saying that I have been waiting for an apple tv to play app's and games for ages, as long as you can pair up a phone or (apple supported) bluetooth controller to it i'm all for it.

I play games on my iphone 5 most nights and there's a bunch of games I would love to play on a tv directly, my iphoen 5 using HDMI out or AirPlay is too laggy and performance killing.

The rumor I've seen floating around is it will aim to emulate the same technical fidelity found on PS3/360, so if I'm being optimistic I'm hoping it will target Wii U specs so 1080p/60fps can happen for smaller titles ala Rocket League. But who is supporting it? Is it simply going to be an Apple outlet for indies and ports?

I think there's space for a low-cost, simple games system out there for the mainstream audience and coupled with the Apple ecosystem, there's the potential for disruption. But Apple's not going to get away with just porting iOS games to the TV and calling it a day. Since it seems they're trying to emulate the Wii, they should learn from it: without the software support Nintendo provided, that system was utter garbage.

I'm not saying it can't be successful, I'm saying even if it is, consoles will still have a place, and enough people to support their continued existence.

My point was that this doesn't have to target current Console owners. If it gets enough traction to absorb development dollars and interest, and becomes mass market enough in terms of installed base to make waves, it could indirectly lead to a further decline in software available for the Consoles and basically strangle that market further.

Backlogger

All I want for Apple TV is a native Plex app. That is literally all I want. I have gaming consoles and a PC for gaming.

I could see how there could be appeal for this for some people though. My kids would probably like it (they play lots of games on their iPods)

I know lots of people that play games on their phones but don't consider themselves to be gamers nor do they own consoles or the like. This is likely who they are targeting.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you could use another iOS device as a virtual controller that would be a bigger get than just motion controls tbh

ZhugeEX

Banned
My point was that this doesn't have to target current Console owners. If it gets enough traction to absorb development dollars and interest, and becomes mass market enough in terms of installed base to make waves, it could indirectly lead to a further decline in software available for the Consoles and basically strangle that market further.

I'm going to need to see this Apple TV before commenting more.

Right now I don't see it as a threat to the console industry if it's just going to play mobile games but primarily be a digital media streaming device.

Unless it starts to get its own ecosystem and large third party publishers onboard then I can see what you say happening. But even with a large install base this will need gaming software to ever be a threat.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think when it comes to TV people want a convenient way to watch different programming, so an Apple TV is good as long as it can keep people watching, record like a DVR, and whatever they think.

I've been thinking about the amount of money I've spent on the app store and I do own consoles and a PC. I'm sure you could talk someone into it who doesn't play video games on a console or PC.

There's always the crowd who buys gadgets, but they ignore gaming altogether. Apple is about as universal in terms of who owns the product. Gaming has been gaming for a very long time and the people who know gaming know who makes the consoles. A TV like this is bound to sell if it does DVR, but I can't just replace my game console because APPLE wants to make one.

MS made the Xbox, but this isn't like that. This is the app store and whatever comes with it. Who knows, there's someone trying to reinvent the wheel or start their own network.

It makes me think some people feel ashamed by owning a physical disc and having to walk into to the store to buy games. They want something that goes on the side without it being 100% for gaming.

DeadTrees

0eZpu.jpg

So right now I can see three things happening for apple to promote the Apple TV to the living room:

- Apple creating a TV which integrates the Apple TV functionality and airplay
- Or considering how damn cheap the Apple TV is that Apple might bundle it with the iPad/iPhone.
- Apple certifying TV manufacturers as Air Play devices

Yeah, good eyesight there.

tim.mbp

yes and no on this (I actually mostly agree with it).

Huge Apple fan, but yeah... I mean if it's basically a rehash of the Fire TV, it will fail (the gaming portion). Devs will have to make compelling experiences. And while there are absolutely compelling experiences on iPad and iPhone, it remains to be seen how many of those will translate over to the control scheme they are talking about.

Now one thing being left out is if the new box supports MFi controllers, well then you have an ACTUAL PS360 capable console.. BUT historically Apple has only allowed MFi controller support as an "also", not an "only".

tl;dr - for this to really have a chance as a game platform, devs need to bring compelling experiences to the device (which may be easier said than done) and Apple will have to allow for games to REQUIRE MFi controllers if needed.

How is that any different from the Fire TV though?

AgeEighty

I think it'll be a cool feature people will enjoy, but I doubt it will make much of a dent in dedicated consoles' hold on the market, even if that is Apple's goal (which I kind of doubt). This doesn't really look to offer anything that hasn't been tried before; it just supports Apple's excellent app selection.

Top Bottom