• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: I'll change Mt. Denali back to Mount McKinley

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL I fing knew it, when I read the news about Obama I thought, yeah that's something that Trump would "correct"...unbelievable.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's something Obama did, you can't say "I think what Obama did was right here" and expect to earn the Republican nomination.

Obama could cure cancer and you'd have people on the right coming out against it.
Don't take the cure! It's a trap! It's filled with Muslim nanomachines that'll make you sell your guns!!!!

so what is this controversy about? a mountain named after an american president, from a state where the mountain is not located in and with no connection to the president at all, got its own name back. now ohio people are saying that the mountain should be named after their president because....?

trump probably is just jumping on a bandwagon.
LOL I fing knew it, when I read the news about Obama I thought, yeah that's something that Trump would "correct"...unbelievable.
insult to Ohio

IT'S IN FUCKING ALASKA

... ah ohio is a swinging state.. meaning its superior to the "normal" states in a politicians mind.

this is like intra-nation inter-state colonialism.

They say keeping the McKinley name is to help remember William McKinley, but who actually thinks of William McKinley when thinking about Mt. McKinley? I didn't even know it was named after him until Obama made his announcement.

Well played, Mr. Trump.

This short comment is strong enough to 1)make headlines, 2)insult the 'infamous' president and 3)appeal to a major swing state. He either has a very strong political "sixth sense" (albeit one that would not hold up in a general election) or some good advisors.

Hunter S.

Well, for comparison I live by a famous American mountain called Pikes Peak. The Arapaho called the peak, "Heey-otoyoo" meaning Long Peak. Many other native American tribes had ancient names for the mountain. The difference between renaming this mountain in Colorado to it's ancient name as compared to naming Mt. Mckinley back to Denali is that the Alaskan people wanted the change. Denali is the named used by the natives , it is what they want. Most people in Colorado would not want a change to our peak because we have no memory of it's name

Doing what the people in a state want seems like a good idea to me.

Eat shit Trump.

this obama guy, come on. i mean, his unrestrained view of executive power knows no boundaries, nor borders evidently. whats next? changing Reagan airport to Obama airport?

VariantX

Yep, fuck Alaska and its citizens and what they want, me winning in Ohio is more important than your thousands of years of history. He wouldn't like it if someone named all the shit with his name on it Splorgenborg or anything else would he.

I once worked with a guy named McKinley, but it was his first name. True story!

Also:

Mike Huckabee: Congress Should Block Obama's Renaming Of Mt. McKinley

On Monday, NewsmaxTV's Steve Malzberg asked Huckabee for his thoughts on the name change.

"It's amazing to me that the President would rename the nation's tallest mountain after a GMC truck," Huckabee said. "That's pretty remarkable in it of itself."

GMC has a truck called the Denali.

"Just kidding, of course, Steve, but the outrage is two fold: one that the President thinks he can do whatever he wants even renaming a national landmark," Huckabee said during the phone interview. "I'm wondering what's next. The renaming of the Washington monument to the Obama monument?"

No you won't because you won't be president you big dumb fuck.

FMo1lEW.gif

AP90

But the original name was Denali before it was changed and the park that it resides in is named Denali park...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So much for State's rights and sovereignty, eh Conservatives? I would have thought that was one of the last of their ideals that Republicans would actually throw under the bus but they're obviously shameless on all counts, I should've known better.

sinxtanx

I thought he'd say that as soon as I heard Obama was changing the name. As Obama goes, so shies the GOP.

Alaska-Ohio war coming

params7

Banned
Why not use both and let the outlets chose what they want to go for in the books?

Clearly, both names have been used for extended periods and will stick around. Or they can fight it out. Obama/Alaska vs Ohio/Trump.

Paches

A co-worker of mine who lived in Alaska for several years told me that not once when he lived there was it ever referred to as McKinley, always Denali.

Yup. Remember when Christie gave the slightest bit of respect and thanks to Obama after superstorm Sandy? The GOP went nuts, and still haven't forgiven him.
Ugh, already didn't like either one of them but the point in the debate where Rand Paul called out Christie for hugging Obama was so goddamn ridiculous.

If a Republican president did change the name back it would be so embarrassing as a country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom